Texans to bench Brian Hoyer for Week 2

Jetsfan80

I think we made the correct decision when it came to the QB we signed in the offseason.  Hoyer is trash.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25304663/reports-texans-will-start-ryan-mallett-not-brian-hoyer-vs-panthers

Reports: Texans will start Ryan Mallett, not Brian Hoyer, vs. Panthers

By Sean Wagner-McGough | Staff Writer

The Houston Texans are reversing course. It appears that Brian Hoyer's tenure as the team's starting quarterback is only going to last a little over three quarters.

As first reported by NFL Media's Ian Rapoport, the Texans are inserting Ryan Mallett into their starting lineup on Sunday against the Panthers.

Aaron Wilson of The Houston Chronicle later reported the same news.

After earning the starting job in training camp, Hoyer was yanked in the fourth quarter of the Texans' season opener against the Chiefs. Hoyer went 18 of 34 for 236 yards, one touchdown and one pick in the loss. He also lost a fumble.

In Hoyer's place, Mallett completed 8 of 13 passes for 98 yards and a touchdown.

On Monday, Texans coach Bill O'Brien told reporters that he already knew who would receive the starting nod this week. He didn't, however, elaborate on his decision, saying that he wouldn't reveal the name of the starter prior to Sunday's game against the Panthers.

Now, it appears that we know who will start. For Mallett, he'll have his shot to lock down the starting gig after Hoyer whiffed on his chance.

It made no sense for them to go with Hoyer anyway.  We already knew what he was.  It makes no sense for teams that are climbing out of a hole to start an aging veteran unless they are waiting for a good prospect to mature.  Hoyer wasn't good enough to lead them into the playoffs or take them anywhere, so he was a good backup material, but they should've started Mallet to begin with.  

It made no sense for them to go with Hoyer anyway.  We already knew what he was.  It makes no sense for teams that are climbing out of a hole to start an aging veteran unless they are waiting for a good prospect to mature.  Hoyer wasn't good enough to lead them into the playoffs or take them anywhere, so he was a good backup material, but they should've started Mallet to begin with.  

Hoyer is 29 and Ryan Mallett is 27.  They're both terrible, "aging" veterans.  And they're the only 2 QB's on the roster. 

Hoyer is 29 and Ryan Mallett is 27.  They're both terrible, "aging" veterans.  And they're the only 2 QB's on the roster. 

Yeah, but Mallet doesn't have nearly the same experience as Hoyer, and offers physical upside that Hoyer doesn't.  At this point, we know what Hoyer is, a good backup that isn't going to lead you anywhere special other than for a couple of games of emergency fill in.  Mallet was a project (similar to Petty) that is just now getting a shot, so it makes much more sense to see what they have in him than go with Hoyer.  

Yeah, but Mallet doesn't have nearly the same experience as Hoyer, and offers physical upside that Hoyer doesn't.  At this point, we know what Hoyer is, a good backup that isn't going to lead you anywhere special other than for a couple of games of emergency fill in.  Mallet was a project (similar to Petty) that is just now getting a shot, so it makes much more sense to see what they have in him than go with Hoyer.  

Meh.  Mallett was on the roster last year and started a couple games.  He'd had his shot.  Which is why the Texans signed Hoyer, then started him when he beat Mallett out in camp.  We know the track record of former Patriot backup QB's and its not good.  Maybe Mallett will perform well enough to keep the job for the season, but it won't be because he's some young prospect we don't know about.  He's been in the league for over 4 seasons and we basically know he isn't any good. 

The Texans, much like us, have to recognize that their 2016 starting QB probably isn't on the roster.  With the big difference being we at least took a flier on Bryce Petty, whereas the Texans settled for just Hoyer and Mallett heading into '15.

Actually they are not. They have Austin Davis too who got some first team reps. Expect to see him starting in a few weeks. Hoyer and Mallett are stiffs that onlty get lookd because they backed up Brady

Actually they are not. They have Austin Davis too who got some first team reps. Expect to see him starting in a few weeks. Hoyer and Mallett are stiffs that onlty get lookd because they backed up Brady

Hoyer and Mallett are stiffs yet Austin Davis isn't?  He was benched for Shaun Hill last season before moving on to his 3rd team.  He's also 26, yet another guy who cannot be labeled a "young up and comer".

Neither of these guys are elite so who cares? The Texans aren't going to win a lot of games with either of them at QB, especially with their smurfy WR's and an always injured RB.

That whole situation makes O'Brien look silly.  He went through all of camp to pick Hoyer and

then after half a game you pull him???  Why did you even bother picking him in the first

place???

Gotta be honest, all the talk of O'Brien being a genius is lost on me. He seems like a dope to me. Very Rex-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh.  Mallett was on the roster last year and started a couple games.  He'd had his shot.  Which is why the Texans signed Hoyer, then started him when he beat Mallett out in camp.  We know the track record of former Patriot backup QB's and its not good.  Maybe Mallett will perform well enough to keep the job for the season, but it won't be because he's some young prospect we don't know about.  He's been in the league for over 4 seasons and we basically know he isn't any good. 

The Texans, much like us, have to recognize that their 2016 starting QB probably isn't on the roster.  With the big difference being we at least took a flier on Bryce Petty, whereas the Texans settled for just Hoyer and Mallett heading into '15.

I believe he got hurt last year in his second game, and hence why he didn't get any more starts last year.  They resigned Mallet as well, since he was a free agent.  Well the issue there is that, Hoyer is cut from the same cloth, another Patriots backup that hasn't amounted to much, but has already gotten his shot, and done poorly.  Atleast Mallet has some allure in physical ability and the the chance to harness it.  

You are right in that their QB of the future isn't on the team right now, but starting Hoyer doesn't do them any good.  He's not good enough to win consistently, so other than a mediocre 7-9 type season, he's not going to do much for them.  Mallet offers upside in that he's still unproven in terms of being on the field, and his downside is worse than Hoyer, but that downside helps them get better picks and find that QB.  

The Hoyer signing was befuddling to begin with, I didn't understand why they made him a priority when they had Fitzpatrick.  I'm guessing a O'Brien connection from the New England days, but still seemed weird they wanted that guy.  

Why wouldn't he draft one of the 3 or 4 better QB candidates in next year's draft.??

Cook, Jones, Goff, probably Kesler and the No Dakota kid too

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Possible but I think the Browns and Redskins will get first choice and O'Brien has ties to Penn State so it seems to fit

but it is only week 1 :)

Hoyer gives hot garbage a bad name.  Mallet looked surprisingly decent on Sunday but his suckiness will catch up with him.

Tom Savage will be starting by Week 10.

Davis is better than both those scrubs as is Savage.  

Do you know anything about these guys?  Have you seen Tom Savage play in an NFL game?  He was completely lost last season and didn't have a good camp.  I doubt he will be starting by week 10 since I am pretty sure he was put on season ending IR. He wasn't a good prospect, he's looked bad and he's hurt.  I don't see any reason to think he will be any better than Mallet.  He was  a worse prospect coming out and looks like he needs a ton of experience. When Fitzpatrick got hurt last year he was having trouble taking a snap and handing the ball off.  Chas Dodd is playing over in Lazio, maybe they should try him out.

Do you know anything about these guys?  Have you seen Tom Savage play in an NFL game?  He was completely lost last season and didn't have a good camp.  I doubt he will be starting by week 10 since I am pretty sure he was put on season ending IR. He wasn't a good prospect, he's looked bad and he's hurt.  I don't see any reason to think he will be any better than Mallet.  He was  a worse prospect coming out and looks like he needs a ton of experience. When Fitzpatrick got hurt last year he was having trouble taking a snap and handing the ball off.  Chas Dodd is playing over in Lazio, maybe they should try him out.

Tom Savage is better than Hoyer and Mallett.  Not saying much I understand you like those clowns because they held a clipboard for Brady.

Archived