No More excuses for the defense

Jets723

After watching Denver, this D looks fat and slow up front in comparison to Denver and actually Oakland too.

This defense has sucked from the start. The 1st 2 games the defense lived off the mistakes of the opponents. We beat a terrible Miami team that went to London for a vacation, not to play a football game. The Redskins played us tough until their QB started playing for us. Even in the lost to the Patriots, we were only in the game because that team forgot how to catch the football. At least that's what I heard since I didn't watch that game . Yesterday, an offense put it all together and you saw what I have seen all year.

The problem as I see it is our OLBers can't get to the QB and can't cover anyone. It weakens the secondary and the defensive line. If you have our Lbers on the field the smart QB throws the ball either at them or over the top if you use the safeties to cover. If you take them out and insert more DBs, the smart QB runs the ball at the weakened front 7 .

All our linebackers are a problem.

The problem I have with that is a good defense forces mistakes from opponents. So the fact that they lived off of turnovers is an attribute to a good defense. Even ones like Gore's, when the Jets were in the Colts heads.

With a healthy Favre in 2008 his defense gave up 48 points to the 8-8 Chargers that was the 3rd game of the season..The 2nd game was a home loss to the Cassel lead Pats.. I never understood the Mangini love who never had a top defense or won a playoff game.. As far as reading press clippings I believe that was Mangini on the Soprano's as Man-genius..

Hmmm made you wish for barbeque Herm I guess!!! :ph34r:

While I'm not excusing that performance or the lack of a real pass rush or slow linebackers, I do pose some questions to all of you:

1) What defense(s) in this league would you prefer to have? Denver, Seattle and who?

2) Which defense(s) in this league don't get beat at least a couple of times per year? Any? Seattle gave up 34 to St Louis this year. Do they suck?

The truth is that the way this league is now built, if the opposing QB is having even a worthwhile day, you have to play perfect, mistake-free defense for 60 minutes if you are even going to have a chance. It doesn't make it any easier for them if your offense can't stay on the field either.

Go back and re-ask yourself Question 1 about the QB position. How many did you come up with? There's the real problem. The defense is not the thing preventing this team from contention.

I will take Denver's Deee...

Denver looked AWESOME yesterday, fast, agresssive and certain, all of the things the Jets didnt look like against the Raiders!!!!

I think we have the horses on D overall, but there are of course different levels of adjustments needed. We all know there are in game adjustments, halftime adjustments, etc. But, now that teams have gotten enough films on our D schemes and executions(That usually takes close to half a season, which is where we are at), the coaches now have to re-adjust so that offenses cannot continually exploit areas they have studied and see as our tendencies. Case in point, like with Rex of the past, Bowles had a lot of success early on with his blitzing. Well, now I see that blitzing not getting to QBs since they are countering with quick releases. In those cases we should be mixing different combos of perhaps more zone and even zone bltizes i.e we have athletic Dlineman like Richardson that can drop back into the LB zone while a safety or corner can blitz that the OLineman will not be able to easily handle.      

I've said it numerous threads but I'll say it again, that was the worst defensive performance I've ever seen from a Jets team in my life time.

What I'm worried about is Bowles seems to be having an identify crisis.  He doesnt know what he wants to be on D.  Are we a blitzing machine or are we a 4 man rush coverage team?  He seems to be second guessing himself.  Obvious situations to blitz (the 3rd and 17 vs. the Pats, the 3rd and long for a TD vs. the Raiders) and instead, he sends 4, giving them all the time in the world and BOOM!  Big play.  Even the best corners cant cover for ever.  I thought of call coaches being a former safety, he'd know that all too well.

Curious to know what's going on behind closed doors.  He cant be happy with what this team is putting on tape but he needs to look into the mirror first and ask himself what type of coach he wants to be.  One the dictates the game or one who allows the other team to dictate the game.  Right now, it's the later and it didnt seem like that earlier this season.  

Yup.  As negative as our fanbase is they never bash the defense at least as much as they deserve.  We have zero pass rush considering all the talent we have up front, we cant tackle, or cover guys it seems. 

I have been concerned with out slow ass linebackers all season.  Especially Coples and Pace.  Davis who has speed has such a tough time recognizing plays, he plays a lot slower than he should.   The mantra for the offseason has to be to increase team speed, especially in the LB corps.   We need that true edge rusher like yesterday; I wanted Randy Gregory but everyone thought I was nuts.   I hope Mauldin and Reilly can start getting more reps as it has become painfully obvious that Pace and Coples are done.  I would like to see more of Lattimore and Henderson too. 

I think we have the horses on D overall, but there are of course different levels of adjustments needed. We all know there are in game adjustments, halftime adjustments, etc. But, now that teams have gotten enough films on our D schemes and executions(That usually takes close to half a season, which is where we are at), the coaches now have to re-adjust so that offenses cannot continually exploit areas they have studied and see as our tendencies. Case in point, like with Rex of the past, Bowles had a lot of success early on with his blitzing. Well, now I see that blitzing not getting to QBs since they are countering with quick releases. In those cases we should be mixing different combos of perhaps more zone and even zone bltizes i.e we have athletic Dlineman like Richardson that can drop back into the LB zone while a safety or corner can blitz that the OLineman will not be able to easily handle.      

I think it is also knowing when to start blending in the younger players.  Bowles, like a lot of other coaches, tend to want to stick with the veteran even when it becomes obvious the guy has lost a step or two.  Calvin Pace is D.O.N. E.  Coples is NOT a linebacker.  It is time to start playing Mauldin and Reilly meaningful minutes if not make them the starters.   They can't possibly play any WORSE..... can they?  

I think it is also knowing when to start blending in the younger players.  Bowles, like a lot of other coaches, tend to want to stick with the veteran even when it becomes obvious the guy has lost a step or two.  Calvin Pace is D.O.N. E.  Coples is NOT a linebacker.  It is time to start playing Mauldin and Reilly meaningful minutes if not make them the starters.   They can't possibly play any WORSE..... can they?  

Mauldin is still learning when the face is in the front you can block him..

Another issue I am now seeing as a pattern is if our running game is shutdown, our D goes from great to very ordinary and one that cannot stop very good pass O's due to the lack of a pass rush. This is probably because they are on the field more so than they can handle. Again, as I stated in my last post on this matter either our D coaching needs to somehow adjust the scheme a bit to account for this, or as we have all been complaining about since Johnny Abe left, we have no dominant pass rusher(s) that get consistent pressure on QBs.

Yes Mauldin who had a horrible block in the back penalty yesterday. Injuries have really crippled this defense. Allen, Pryor, Mauldin (the concussion; he hasn't been the same after that)

And offense, the two QBs, Mangold, Decker was hurt, Marshall was banged up, Amaro, Ivory, Powell.

It's not an excuse, but it is frustrating.

So because he made a mistake on special teams, you are okay with playing Pace and Coples who are providing ZERO pass rush. I mean did we draft Mauldin to play special teams or set the edge and rush the passer? 

Who knew that oft criticized Calvin Pryor was actually the guys holding everything together? Losing him (and Bowles ridiculous decision to have Marcus Williams play safety) was huge. Hopefully Pryor can get back next week and Williams can go back to corner, where he's had some success. If not, Bailey can't be that bad, or cut an OL and bring up either of the safeties on the practice squad.

Hopefully Skrine and McDougle aren't too banged up either.

And the lack of pass rush is mind boggling. Coples and Pace on the outside has failed. Time to move on and see what Reilly and Maudlin can do.

THIS

It's an aging defense, but they aren't as bad as they looked. DeMario Davis would normally wrap up those guys, how he let Crabtree and Taiwan Jones slip away was inexplicable. Those are just blunders more than anything else. Sure, we haven't got the sideline-to-sideline speed of a Kuechly or a Sean Lee, but those guys have played well over 7 games.

The box score is completely misleading. That's not to say that Oakland wouldn't have won anyway, but the defense beat themselves by ******* up. Crabtree would have been held to 4 yards on that pass and the same goes for Jones. Those ****-ups won't happen again. I'll give em the benefit of the doubt here.

Archived