Jets add S Ronald Martin, cut DL TJ Barnes

CrazyCarl40

I'm surprised it was Barnes and not Bowen. Also, this tells me Cro is out and Skrine's playing time will be limited because they need Marcus and other CBs to actually play CB tonight.

Agreed on both fronts.  

So who are the active safeties?  Gilchrest, Miles and Martin?  Or just Gilchrest and Martin? 

I'm surprised it was Barnes and not Bowen. Also, this tells me Cro is out and Skrine's playing time will be limited because they need Marcus and other CBs to actually play CB tonight.

Same here...figured they'd hold on to the much younger guy.

Here's Martin's NFL.com draft bio for those who haven't looked at it already.

Earned LSU's Mike Miley Leadership Award and the Most Improved Award based on his hard work and effort during spring drill.

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 4.65 and 4.63 seconds
Vertical jump: 33 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 1 inch

Analysis

Strengths

Physical, box-safety linebacker. Plays through the whistle and relishes contact. Played as an additional linebacker against physical, run-based teams in Wisconsin and Arkansas. Disengages quickly in run support and will take on blockers to keep contain when called on. Can cover tight ends and shows adequate ball skills. Reacts quickly to throws in his area. Emotional leader on the field.

Weaknesses

Average athlete with average play speed. Has coverage limitations. Struggles when asked to match up with speed in space. He's a tick slow to get through his route recognition at times. Shows some reckless traits in open field as a tackler. Steams downhill at suspect angles. Short-area change of direction issues limit him as a tackler against running backs with shake.

Draft Projection

Priority free agent

Bottom Line

Loves football and brings physicality and competitiveness to each snap. Limited in coverage and as a functional athlete. His best bet is to make it as a situational sub and core special-teamer.

I may have missed it but is Bailey playing ? What ever happened with his ankle injury .

He is out with a high ankle sprain.

Agreed on both fronts.  

So who are the active safeties?  Gilchrest, Miles and Martin?  Or just Gilchrest and Martin? 

Should be all three, but we will see. Last weeks inactives were:

■ QB Bryce Petty

■ S Calvin Pryor

■ RB Bilal Powell

■ G Willie Colon

■ OL Dakota Dozier

■ T Ben Ijalana

■ NT T.J. Barnes

Colon is on the IR, TJ Barnes is cut. Petty, Pryor, Powell, and the two linemen will probably still be inactive. I'd expect Cro and Bailey to join them.

That makes 7 CBs and 4 safeties.  Yeesh.  Agreed on the Bowens/Barnes issue.

FWIW, the Seahawks cut Martin and kept Bailey who actually started.  When Chancellor returned they cut Bailey and the Jets picked him up and waived Martin - he's been on the practice squad. 

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Predicting the Jets' inactives for tonight against the Bills: CB Antonio Cromartie, RB Bilal Powell, S Calvin Pryor, S Dion Bailey, QB Bryce Petty, T Ben Ijalana, NT T.J. Barnes. Cromartie (deep thigh bruise) is expected to miss his first game due to injury in 9+ years.

With Barnes being cut, I think they just keep Dozier inactive with Mangold playing and Johnson backing him up.

That makes 7 CBs and 4 safeties.  Yeesh.  Agreed on the Bowens/Barnes issue.

FWIW, the Seahawks cut Martin and kept Bailey who actually started.  When Chancellor returned they cut Bailey and the Jets picked him up and waived Martin - he's been on the practice squad. 

If Cro and Bailey are out it's 6 CBs and 3 safeties. Bailey played well last weekend hopefully he can still contribute when he and Pryor are back. Martin is likely to be cut when everyone is healthy.

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Predicting the Jets' inactives for tonight against the Bills: CB Antonio Cromartie, RB Bilal Powell, S Calvin Pryor, S Dion Bailey, QB Bryce Petty, T Ben Ijalana, NT T.J. Barnes. Cromartie (deep thigh bruise) is expected to miss his first game due to injury in 9+ years.

With Barnes being cut, I think they just keep Dozier inactive with Mangold playing and Johnson backing him up.

Cro hasnt missed a game in 9 years due to injury?  That just doesnt seem right.  wow.

Archived