The after, aftermath.

Jetster

So now that we've had a week to digest everything coming out of Florham Park I want to revisit my feelings on the loss Thursday night.

While I wanted a scapegoat & was determined to find one, this loss is on so many people it was a team effort loss! The only group we can let off the hook is the defense. They withstood our offense going 3 & out 4 out of 5 series to start the game. The only TD drive they gave up was the start of the 2nd half & sometimes you have to give the other team credit for adjusting. After that drive they continuously stopped the Bills & gave our offense multiple chances to get back into & win the game.

The culprits are many, Bobby April using Smith, Smith for fumbling, Ivory fumbling on our side of the field, Bowles for being too aggressive vs a bad offense, Fitz for going deep 3 times in the 1st series (Decker was wide open underneath on one of those throws), Fitz for checking into 2 horrible plays (most of us thought Gailey called those plays), the 4th down to Marshall, the 3rd & 2 to Decker, Decker for dropping an easy 4th down conversion. Brick for getting blown up on the 2 & 2 Ivory run to his side, Marshall for dropping 2 more balls (sure the 1st was a tough catch but replay showed it got both hands on the ball & it bounced out leading to an interception), the 2nd drop was a beautifully thrown ball by Fitz that he dropped right on his hands, Decker & Davis (I don't know who screwed up but you & I know it wasn't designed for them to run into each other), right after the game I was pissed at Chan Gailey but players have to execute, there is no such thing as a "perfectly called" game. I think he ran up the middle too much & I hated the timing of Ridley & having him run up the middle on 1st & 2nd down but other than that Fitz is the one who made bad choices and audibled to those failed swing passes behind the sticks.

We're just not a complete team, nor are we good enough to have so many mistakes in a 60 minute game. Like Bowles said in his conference with the beat writers, we're looking at our mistakes & trying to correct them. Unfortunately the truth is both Decker & Marshall drop balls, we have no backup RB, all of our safeties are hurt, we're terrible at TE, and our Oline has too much age. We're also below average in coverage at LB.  Other than that we're about as good as all the other average teams in this league & we can beat anyone if we play a clean 60 minutes but we can lose to anyone if we make too many mistakes & turn the ball over. We have the best Dline in football in a league where holding inside is pretty much legal as long as you keep your elbows in. We're just another team in a league of parity, nothing sets us apart because we don't have an elite signal caller. 

Yes. So why are people pissed?

They're pissed because 3 turnovers resulted in 12 points! Without them we win by a TD. Plus it was how we got the TOs. Marshall with ANOTHER drop tipped ball, Smith bringing a ball out after running half of the endzone to get to it (effing Stupid decision), and Ivory fumbling on yet ANOTHER RUN UP THE GUT. That's why!

So now that we've had a week to digest everything coming out of Florham Park I want to revisit my feelings on the loss Thursday night.

While I wanted a scapegoat & was determined to find one, this loss is on so many people it was a team effort loss! The only group we can let off the hook is the defense. They withstood our offense going 3 & out 4 out of 5 series to start the game. The only TD drive they gave up was the start of the 2nd half & sometimes you have to give the other team credit for adjusting. After that drive they continuously stopped the Bills & gave our offense multiple chances to get back into & win the game.

The culprits are many, Bobby April using Smith, Smith for fumbling, Ivory fumbling on our side of the field, Bowles for being too aggressive vs a bad offense, Fitz for going deep 3 times in the 1st series (Decker was wide open underneath on one of those throws), Fitz for checking into 2 horrible plays (most of us thought Gailey called those plays), the 4th down to Marshall, the 3rd & 2 to Decker, Decker for dropping an easy 4th down conversion. Brick for getting blown up on the 2 & 2 Ivory run to his side, Marshall for dropping 2 more balls (sure the 1st was a tough catch but replay showed it got both hands on the ball & it bounced out leading to an interception), the 2nd drop was a beautifully thrown ball by Fitz that he dropped right on his hands, Decker & Davis (I don't know who screwed up but you & I know it wasn't designed for them to run into each other), right after the game I was pissed at Chan Gailey but players have to execute, there is no such thing as a "perfectly called" game. I think he ran up the middle too much & I hated the timing of Ridley & having him run up the middle on 1st & 2nd down but other than that Fitz is the one who made bad choices and audibled to those failed swing passes behind the sticks.

We're just not a complete team, nor are we good enough to have so many mistakes in a 60 minute game. Like Bowles said in his conference with the beat writers, we're looking at our mistakes & trying to correct them. Unfortunately the truth is both Decker & Marshall drop balls, we have no backup RB, all of our safeties are hurt, we're terrible at TE, and our Oline has too much age. We're also below average in coverage at LB.  Other than that we're about as good as all the other average teams in this league & we can beat anyone if we play a clean 60 minutes but we can lose to anyone if we make too many mistakes & turn the ball over. We have the best Dline in football in a league where holding inside is pretty much legal as long as you keep your elbows in. We're just another team in a league of parity, nothing sets us apart because we don't have an elite signal caller. 

Great analysis! However, I think Mauldin upgraded the LB corps and would like to see more of him, not less.

Agreed, Mauldins a beast. How far has Coples fallen? Who cares, he's another guy getting paid way to much as a 1round bust, at least Pace is cheap. I think Coples got paid & became a loafer, it happens in this league & there were signs.

WR's drop balls all the time. Brandon Marshall has done more good here for the Jets than bad. 

I think it's 50/50 now!

Eagles drops & lateral = loss

Pats drop = loss

Bills drops= 1 led to a pick & subsequent FG, the other I believe Decker ended up with a TD? 

Im not saying it's all Brandon Marshall fault in our losses but he's had a hand in all of them except Oakland. I'm not excusing him because he had a hand in the wins too. He gets paid for EVERY GAME. 

I think it's 50/50 now!

Pats drop = loss

Bills drops= 1 led to a pick & subsequent FG, the other I believe Decker ended up with a TD? 

Im not saying it's all Brandon Marshall fault in our losses but he's had a hand in all of them except Oakland. I'm not excusing him because he had a hand in the wins too. He gets paid for EVERY GAME. 

He is still the best WR the Jets have had in a long time. Same with Gailey despite the bad night. Again, their low point total on the season is 17 points. I don't remember the last Jets team that did that. The 2011 Jets who went 8-8 lowest point total was 13.

I think it's 50/50 now!

Pats drop = loss

We've all loved Marshall, he's been an exemplary teammate and has performed at a high level...

But it's very tough to look at him with blinders on anymore.

Philly - I'll forgive the lateral, trying to make things happen - the alligator arms drop bothered me, he makes that catch, they likely win that game

Pats - That's a TD in his hands - may very well have iced that game - against the PATS...tough to take

Bills - I thought he should have caught the first one - legit #1 receivers in the NFL make that catch, but even if you give him a pass on that one...the deep throw over his shoulder, was a PERFECT pass (fitz doesn't throw many of those - gotta make make the catch when it's there) 

I am by no means blaming him...He's been great for us and glad he's here - but, if this team's going to win - he needs to be better.  This team can't afford to leave points on the board and he's left a bunch of them.

They're pissed because 3 turnovers resulted in 12 points! Without them we win by a TD. Plus it was how we got the TOs. Marshall with ANOTHER drop tipped ball, Smith bringing a ball out after running half of the endzone to get to it (effing Stupid decision), and Ivory fumbling on yet ANOTHER RUN UP THE GUT. That's why!

Yea, fundamentally stupid football mistakes are not what this fanbase wants to see when we're all holding our breathe in hopes that we hired a coach who isn't a buffoon. Then we lose to the buffoon, but not even by his doing, by our own doing. 

Worst possible outcome for this game. Rex wins, fanbase suddenly doubts Bowles is any better than him because of how Rex won.

Yea, fundamentally stupid football mistakes are not what this fanbase wants to see when we're all holding our breathe in hopes that we hired a coach who isn't a buffoon. Then we lose to the buffoon, but not even by his doing, by our own doing. 

Worst possible outcome for this game. Rex wins, fanbase suddenly doubts Bowles is any better than him because of how Rex won.

That's silly Rex has knocked the Pats out of the playoffs at foxboro that doesn't make him better then BB..LOL Sh_t happens unfortunately it happens to the Jets a lot.. :rolleyes:

That's silly Rex has knocked the Pats out of the playoffs at foxboro that doesn't make him better then BB..LOL Sh_t happens unfortunately it happens to the Jets a lot.. :rolleyes:

Silly or not, if you take the temp of the fanbase... before Thursday, the overwhelming majority was sure that Bowles had to be better than Rex. After Thursday, because of how poorly we protected the ball, how poorly we executed, how flat we looked again, some of the decisions that were made... the same overwhelming majority of fans collectively gulped, and began wondering if the Jets have once again hired an incompetent coach.

I'm not saying they did. I'm saying because of how Thursday went, doubt crept in.

Silly or not, if you take the temp of the fanbase... before Thursday, the overwhelming majority was sure that Bowles had to be better than Rex. After Thursday, because of how poorly we protected the ball, how poorly we executed, how flat we looked again, some of the decisions that were made... the same overwhelming majority of fans collectively gulped, and began wondering if the Jets have once again hired an incompetent coach.

I'm not saying they did. I'm saying because of how Thursday went, doubt crept in.

pogo-thumb-400x609-138861.jpg

What I remember - comparisons to Ryan aside - was Bowles getting an awful lot of credit before anyone knew anything about him as a coach (beyond they heard he blitzed a lot and the Cardinals had a top 10 scoring defense last year, and Bill Parcells liked him once upon a time).

The thing that concerned me were two-fold. First, which is no stroke of genius, is that he'd never been a head coach before (no the 3 garbage games with Miami don't count, as it's in no way representative of the full HC responsibilities from the end of the prior season through the end of the current one). The other thing was that the defense was bend but don't break. They gave up a LOT of yards, even with 2 "pro bowl" CBs. They were a bottom-8 defense in yards per attempt against both the run and against the pass. Two years prior (with Philadelphia) he had the opposite of a bend but don't break defense (15th in yards, 29th in points) so it's not like it was some repeated pattern with him. What it screamed of was getting at least a little bit lucky with turnovers (e.g. Arizona recovering 70% of their forced fumbles in 2014 and I think 90% of them in 2013; sorry, but that's very lucky).

We'll see. He's still a first year HC only halfway through his first season. But there are some things that are pretty disturbing so far, that may not necessarily get better with additional HCing experience; he's been in this league for a long time already. And there's that other thing, which is we don't get spotted a pity game or two for hiring a first timer. Basically I'd feel better if he even had some college head coaching experience before getting promoted from NFL coordinator.

What I remember - comparisons to Ryan aside - was Bowles getting an awful lot of credit before anyone knew anything about him as a coach (beyond they heard he blitzed a lot and the Cardinals had a top 10 scoring defense last year, and Bill Parcells liked him once upon a time).

The thing that concerned me were two-fold. First, which is no stroke of genius, is that he'd never been a head coach before (no the 3 garbage games with Miami don't count, as it's in no way representative of the full HC responsibilities from the end of the prior season through the end of the current one). The other thing was that the defense was bend but don't break. They gave up a LOT of yards, even with 2 "pro bowl" CBs. They were a bottom-8 defense in yards per attempt against both the run and against the pass. Two years prior (with Philadelphia) he had the opposite of a bend but don't break defense (15th in yards, 29th in points) so it's not like it was some repeated pattern with him. What it screamed of was getting at least a little bit lucky with turnovers (e.g. Arizona recovering 70% of their forced fumbles in 2014 and I think 90% of them in 2013; sorry, but that's very lucky).

We'll see. He's still a first year HC only halfway through his first season. But there are some things that are pretty disturbing so far, that may not necessarily get better with additional HCing experience; he's been in this league for a long time already. And there's that other thing, which is we don't get spotted a pity game or two for hiring a first timer. Basically I'd feel better if he even had some college head coaching experience before getting promoted from NFL coordinator.

Tuna testimonial helped make Rex a Jet...

Once upon a time, Bill Parcells was the larger-than-life figure who saved theNew York Jets from themselves, driving a hoax of a franchise to the brink of the Super Bowl. So maybe it was fitting that Parcells gave the Jets one last gift.

Maybe it was fitting that he notarized a candidate named Rex Ryan.

"I was very impressed with Rex when I met with him," Parcells said Tuesday night by phone. "I could just sense that, 'Hey, this guy's going to have a chance.'"

This was three years ago, when Parcells was the executive vice president of football operations for the Miami Dolphins and a man in dire need of a head coach. He sat down with Ryan and discovered a kindred spirit, a football lifer born in Oklahoma but one projecting that Parcellsian Jersey Guy vibe.

If Parcells hadn't shared a strong working relationship with his former aide in Dallas, Tony Sparano, he likely would have hired Ryan on the spot.

"Yes, that's correct," Parcells said.

So should we add Marshall and Ivory to Bowles, April, Smith, Fitzpatrick, Davis, Williams and the 20 orher players and Coachs that must be fired before next Sunday??

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Archived