Jets's Louisville Slugger talks OBJ

Patriot Killa

(name of the actual article is Louisville Slugger delivers warning to OBJ, but I thought it was a little misleading and made him sound hostile towards the WR)

Odell Beckham Jr. better think twice about going across the middle against the Jets.

Second-year safety Calvin Pryor made that clear last Sunday when he delivered a crushing hit on Dolphins receiver Rishard Matthews, knocking him out of the game with broken ribs.

Pryor is living up to his “Louisville Slugger” nickname this season, delivering bone-crunching hits while also playing a huge role in coach Todd Bowles’ defense.

Though Pryor made it clear he is not a headhunter looking to hurt receivers, he also prides himself on delivering big hits when he gets the chance.

“It’s just the intentions I play with. You just have to have it in your heart,” Pryor said of being a hitter. “If it’s not in you, you won’t be known for it. That’s just the way I play the game. It’s nothing personal, just me flying around, doing what I do.”

Things got personal Sunday when Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill called Pryor “classless” for celebrating the hit on Matthews.

“I was definitely surprised. I don’t know why he was making it about me,” Pryor said of the remarks, which he later responded to on Twitter, saying Tannehill should have thrown a better pass.

“The quarterback put him in a bad position,” Pryor said Wednesday.

The play happened on the Dolphins’ first series of the game. On third-and-6, Tannehill threw a short pass to Matthews, who instantly was met by Pryor, who then celebrated the hit with his teammates while Matthews was getting checked by the Miami trainers.

“I didn’t even know he was down,” Pryor said. “A big hit like that, there are emotions early on in the game. I was just trying to get everybody into it and bring that energy. That definitely set the tone for the game and how physical a game it was going to be.”
After the game, wide receiver Brandon Marshall nicknamed Pryor the “tone setter.”

So, will he set the tone this week with a big hit on Beckham, the Giants’ star?

“We’ll see how it plays out,” Pryor said. “He’s a tremendous football player. You can’t take that away from him. We’ll see how it goes. I’m not out there trying to hurt anybody, but if the play’s there, I’m going to take it. Hopefully, it doesn’t come down to that.”

Pryor said he and Beckham are “pretty good friends.” The two got to know each other during the pre-draft process in 2014. Beckham went at No. 12 to the Giants, six picks before Pryor. Since then they have remained friends through texting and seeing each other out around town.

“He’s definitely a cool guy,” Pryor said. “I think he’s definitely one of the top receivers in the game right now. He’s been doing a heck of a job for his team, making plays. He’s a stud.”

Pryor gushed about Beckham’s ability.

“When the ball is thrown to him — whether it’s two hands, one hand or no hands — he’s gonna a find a way to catch the ball,” he said.

That being said, Pryor is confident in the Jets’ defense. In response to those people who think the Jets can’t stop Beckham if cornerback Darrelle Revis misses the game with a concussion, Pryor said, “They’re wrong.”

Pryor will be part of the effort to stop him. He has elevated his level of play in his second season. The Jets’ defense was not the same when he missed three games with a high-ankle sprain.

“I think he brought a maturity level when he came back from his injury. Very smart, very intelligent,” Bowles said. “Obviously, he made some plays last Sunday. The guys have confidence in him. I just think he’s grown. The communication standpoint with him and [Marcus] Gilchrist back there has been good.”

Pryor agrees that he is more mature.

“Most definitely,” he said. “With a year of experience and the way I handle things now, I definitely think there’s a maturity level that I brought upon myself. I can see the difference. They can see the difference. I’m pretty sure you guys can see the difference as well.

“I’m able to play faster. I see things faster. I’m calmer. I know what to expect. There’s a lot of good things happening right now.”

Wide receivers, you’ve been warned.

(name of the actual article is Louisville Slugger delivers warning to OBJ, but I thought it was a little misleading and made him sound hostile towards the WR)

Odell Beckham Jr. better think twice about going across the middle against the Jets.

Second-year safety Calvin Pryor made that clear last Sunday when he delivered a crushing hit on Dolphins receiver Rishard Matthews, knocking him out of the game with broken ribs.

Pryor is living up to his “Louisville Slugger” nickname this season, delivering bone-crunching hits while also playing a huge role in coach Todd Bowles’ defense.

Though Pryor made it clear he is not a headhunter looking to hurt receivers, he also prides himself on delivering big hits when he gets the chance.

“It’s just the intentions I play with. You just have to have it in your heart,” Pryor said of being a hitter. “If it’s not in you, you won’t be known for it. That’s just the way I play the game. It’s nothing personal, just me flying around, doing what I do.”

Things got personal Sunday when Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill called Pryor “classless” for celebrating the hit on Matthews.

“I was definitely surprised. I don’t know why he was making it about me,” Pryor said of the remarks, which he later responded to on Twitter, saying Tannehill should have thrown a better pass.

“The quarterback put him in a bad position,” Pryor said Wednesday.

The play happened on the Dolphins’ first series of the game. On third-and-6, Tannehill threw a short pass to Matthews, who instantly was met by Pryor, who then celebrated the hit with his teammates while Matthews was getting checked by the Miami trainers.

“I didn’t even know he was down,” Pryor said. “A big hit like that, there are emotions early on in the game. I was just trying to get everybody into it and bring that energy. That definitely set the tone for the game and how physical a game it was going to be.”
After the game, wide receiver Brandon Marshall nicknamed Pryor the “tone setter.”

So, will he set the tone this week with a big hit on Beckham, the Giants’ star?

“We’ll see how it plays out,” Pryor said. “He’s a tremendous football player. You can’t take that away from him. We’ll see how it goes. I’m not out there trying to hurt anybody, but if the play’s there, I’m going to take it. Hopefully, it doesn’t come down to that.”

Pryor said he and Beckham are “pretty good friends.” The two got to know each other during the pre-draft process in 2014. Beckham went at No. 12 to the Giants, six picks before Pryor. Since then they have remained friends through texting and seeing each other out around town.

“He’s definitely a cool guy,” Pryor said. “I think he’s definitely one of the top receivers in the game right now. He’s been doing a heck of a job for his team, making plays. He’s a stud.”

Pryor gushed about Beckham’s ability.

“When the ball is thrown to him — whether it’s two hands, one hand or no hands — he’s gonna a find a way to catch the ball,” he said.

That being said, Pryor is confident in the Jets’ defense. In response to those people who think the Jets can’t stop Beckham if cornerback Darrelle Revis misses the game with a concussion, Pryor said, “They’re wrong.”

Pryor will be part of the effort to stop him. He has elevated his level of play in his second season. The Jets’ defense was not the same when he missed three games with a high-ankle sprain.

“I think he brought a maturity level when he came back from his injury. Very smart, very intelligent,” Bowles said. “Obviously, he made some plays last Sunday. The guys have confidence in him. I just think he’s grown. The communication standpoint with him and [Marcus] Gilchrist back there has been good.”

Pryor agrees that he is more mature.

“Most definitely,” he said. “With a year of experience and the way I handle things now, I definitely think there’s a maturity level that I brought upon myself. I can see the difference. They can see the difference. I’m pretty sure you guys can see the difference as well.

“I’m able to play faster. I see things faster. I’m calmer. I know what to expect. There’s a lot of good things happening right now.”

Wide receivers, you’ve been warned.

Good article! Good move, changing the title, was no warning.....only praise for his "friend," Odell.

And then proceed to blow the rest of the picks.  But with 12 picks, you'd figure he'd at least get one right, right?

Two, really. Has to be one of worst draft ever though. Gotta wonder if Amaro is the next one to catch on... probably not though. We have some sort of curse on 2nd round selections.

Two, really. Has to be one of worst draft ever though. Gotta wonder if Amaro is the next one to catch on... probably not though. We have some sort of curse on 2nd round selections

If Amaro, Millner end up working out in the long run, and McDougle, and Enunwa contribute for another couple of years it won't be the worst years of drafting like it looks to be now.  But also if they don't work out, and Sheldon gets suspended, and doesn't get his life straightened out then this stretch of drafting will rival the Millen years in Detroit, except the only difference is the Jets ****ed up their shot at getting the 1st overall pick last year by not firing Rex, and promoting the OC, and Woody giving specific orders to start Simms, and put everyone with a scrape on IR so they could have had their choice at 1 of 2 possible franchise QB's (hopefully making the right choice of Winston), but instead they let Rex rally his "guys" to get 2 more meaningless wins VS the Bucs, and Phish.

Archived