Chan Gailey and Resigning Fitz

bergenjets

I like Fitz but I don't want the Jets to commit too many years to him.  Basically as long as we can cut him after next year without it killing our cap then I'm completely fine w/ any deal.  He's done well so far but we played a weak schedule and his track record is one of mediocrity.  Plus he "plays risky" by running head first rather than sliding.  I can easily see him getting injured at any time.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him get hurt at Buffalo and leave the game in Geno's hands.  Sadly, I could imagine that.

I like Fitz but I don't want the Jets to commit too many years to him.  Basically as long as we can cut him after next year without it killing our cap then I'm completely fine w/ any deal.  He's done well so far but we played a weak schedule and his track record is one of mediocrity.  Plus he "plays risky" by running head first rather than sliding.  I can easily see him getting injured at any time.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him get hurt at Buffalo and leave the game in Geno's hands.  Sadly, I could imagine that.

Fitz might get injured running, Geno might get injured mouthing off to a 250 pound muscle beast over $600.

AP_462226173867.jpg&w=1484

"Next time I come for you, I'm gonna want some cocktail... FRUIT!"

Fitz is a great fit for this Jets team...plays with a unique combination of gutsiness and headiness , and he is not forcing the ball or having to carry teams like he has had to in the past. He has advanced tremendously as a QB, while developing great chemistry with his talented receivers.. His teammates respect the hell out of him, and he is showing that he can play well late in games and win the close ones. He has brought a sense of stability and excitement to a team starving for a leader behind center. Sure as heck hope he sticks around for a while.

First off, a nod to Gailey for calling the best game I have seen in a long time by a Jets OC. There were few if any head scratchers and even the plays that didn't work, should have worked.

Playing the role of Captain Obvious here, but  a big consideration in the negotiations with Fitz needs to be Chan's long term plans. Having Fitz under contract for big $$$ without Chan, or at least an heir apparent who would run the same quick strike spread system, could turn ugly. In Ftiz's journey around the league, he has struggled to prosper in other systems. Matching the length of his contract to Chan's planned tenure would be a prudent move by the front office.

The Jets current QBs coach was with Gailey in Buffalo and has been a quality control coach and a WRs coach with Gailey at other stops. It's my opinion that he's being groomed by Gailey to be his replacement as OC .

The Jets are one of the oldest teams in the league.  To stumble on a QB who can keep the Jets competitive for the next 2-3 years is an absolute miracle.

But what Fitzpatrick and his agent need to understand is that although Fitz is having a good season now, it is in large part do to his reprise with Chan Gailey and having Marshall and Decker to throw to.

Unfortunately for the Jets, they have an enormous number of free agents after this season.  They will have to be very nimble in how they manage their cap and sign the players that they need to sign.  This is where the weak drafts of Idzik/Late-Tannebaum era will come to roost.  

The Jets veterans in particular should realize that this could be the last shot at the playoffs for awhile.  if the Jets make the playoffs, they could go far.  You have several players on the wrong side of 30 who are not getting better.  It will be very hard to sign new free agents.  It will be hard to sign all of the free agents currently on the team that we will want to keep-Harrison, Wilkerson, Ivory, Powell, and of course Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick should take a deal that is longer, with more guaranteed money, but of less money per year.  Hopefully 10 or less.  In order for him to be good, he needs a good cast-he is not Brady doing it on his own. 

I can see them signing Harrison, letting Wilkerson walk, cutting Cromarie, and hopefully restructuring the three linemen over 30.  The Jets need to find $5mm+ of cap room on the OL.  

I would also keep Geno Smith for next year.  He has been practicing in the system, and Fitz has an injury history.  in 2017, its hopefully Fitz, Petty and someone new.  

The draft is absolutely critical for 2016.

as much as i like fitz and want him back for the next coupla years, 17m a year is absurd. if he wins the super bowl this year, 17m is still absurd. i would rather franchise tag him

what would you think is something he should accept?  2 and 20 seems reasonable with say 2/3 guaranteed.  

which team is going to pay him a boatload of money?  you sign him for 17mm a year and he bombs that is a career ender for a GM.  

what would you think is something he should accept?  2 and 20 seems reasonable with say 2/3 guaranteed.  

which team is going to pay him a boatload of money?  you sign him for 17mm a year and he bombs that is a career ender for a GM.  

ya,  more of the line that i was thinking 10-12 per. 2-3 years. but i guess in the end, all that reallly counts is the guaranteed $$.. fitz proved alot of people wrong this year. just dont think he proved them 17m per wrong.. fitz definetely deserves to earn starter money. just not elite starter money

ya,  more of the line that i was thinking 10-12 per. 2-3 years. but i guess in the end, all that reallly counts is the guaranteed $$.. fitz proved alot of people wrong this year. just dont think he proved them 17m per wrong.. fitz definetely deserves to earn starter money. just not elite starter money

$14-$15M a yr is not elite starter money, it is middle of the road nowadays. 

Archived