Crying over spilled milk, but...

UpstateJetsGuru

the franchise player broke his leg in the third quarter. It wasn't that perfect. All this whining and moaning we'd be looking at a team without arguably it's best player going into the playoffs. Not ideal. 

weren't we losing 19-10 when Mo got hurt? that's an excuse now?  that was the first big injury all season and we had to survive a qtr w/o him to make the playoffs.  we had a great opportunity and blew it w/ a veteran team.  it sure beats 4-12 but it's hard to feel warm and fuzzy about this season.  For me it goes down w/ bitter disappointments like 2000 and 2008.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you say so

bottom line the team won 10 games but it wasn't enough. sh*t happens. It was still a good year. 

I agree, but I am going to be flaming pissed in five years when people are comparing this bullsh*t team to the Jets all time great years like that Favre year.  That team's record was more schedule driven than this one.

I agree, but I am going to be flaming pissed in five years when people are comparing this bullsh*t team to the Jets all time great years like that Favre year.  That team's record was more schedule driven than this one.

very similar except our QB this year was much better.  2008 bothers me but it led to 2009 and 2010 so it's easier to look back on.  if we make the playoffs next year then it will have made this year more of a success but we aren't guaranteed to be a playoff contender next year.  we have a lot of work to do. 

very similar except our QB this year was much better.  2008 bothers me but it led to 2009 and 2010 so it's easier to look back on.  if we make the playoffs next year then it will have made this year more of a success but we aren't guaranteed to be a playoff contender next year.  we have a lot of work to do. 

I always wonder what would have happened if they had been able to keep Favre on the roster for those years.  They would have had a better QB, several decent pieces and their 1st and 2nd picks.  Hell, Sanchez might have even fallen to them at 17.  Freeman was sitting there for TB.  I know they were high on Harvin who was still there.  Not sure how Favre's contract would have affected the ability to sign Scott and Leonhard and trade for Edwards.  Favre's probably would have thrown picks at key times like he did for the Vikings, but it would have been a hell of a ride.

I always wonder what would have happened if they had been able to keep Favre on the roster for those years.  They would have had a better QB, several decent pieces and their 1st and 2nd picks.  Hell, Sanchez might have even fallen to them at 17.  Freeman was sitting there for TB.  I know they were high on Harvin who was still there.  Not sure how Favre's contract would have affected the ability to sign Scott and Leonhard and trade for Edwards.  Favre's probably would have thrown picks at key times like he did for the Vikings, but it would have been a hell of a ride.

I don't think we do anything w/ Favre, the man never wanted to be here and he ruined our 2008 season.  he would have done so in '09/'10 as well.  if we got the 2009 Minnesota version then we could have won the SB but that guy didn't want to be here.

there were many better stat QBs but mark played really well for us in those postseasons, limiting mistakes and making big plays to help us win.  he wasn't why we didn't win but in the reg seasons we could have squeezed out more wins and maybe caught NE?  who knows.

weren't we losing 19-10 when Mo got hurt? that's an excuse now?  that was the first big injury all season and we had to survive a qtr w/o him to make the playoffs.  we had a great opportunity and blew it w/ a veteran team.  it sure beats 4-12 but it's hard to feel warm and fuzzy about this season.  For me it goes down w/ bitter disappointments like 2000 and 2008.

no my point is even if they won the team is limping into the playoffs. It wasn't such a perfect set of circumstances, even if they do somehow go 11-5. They needed Mo healthy to do anything in the post season. The chances of the Jets going on a Giants-type wild card run go down significantly the second Mo breaks his Fibula. 

unless just making the postseason the goal? In which case yes it was a wasted opportunity.  

no my point is even if they won the team is limping into the playoffs. It wasn't such a perfect set of circumstances, even if they do somehow go 11-5. They needed Mo healthy to do anything in the post season. The chances of the Jets going on a Giants-type wild card run go down significantly the second Mo breaks his Fibula. 

unless just making the postseason the goal? In which case yes it was a wasted opportunity.  

Making the postseason is not the ultimate goal but had we made it and lost this season would have been a huge success, just to make it would have been huge and we have depth on the DL.  Mo's injury wouldn't have finished us.

I don't think we do anything w/ Favre, the man never wanted to be here and he ruined our 2008 season.  he would have done so in '09/'10 as well.  if we got the 2009 Minnesota version then we could have won the SB but that guy didn't want to be here.

there were many better stat QBs but mark played really well for us in those postseasons, limiting mistakes and making big plays to help us win.  he wasn't why we didn't win but in the reg seasons we could have squeezed out more wins and maybe caught NE?  who knows.

You think way more of Sanchez (in particular his 2010) than I do, but I generally agree on Favre.  He didn't want to be here in 2008.  He is a fickle old ****er and it would have taken some convincing, but can you imagine our 2009 D with the 2009 Favre?

I was shocked the Jets went after him in 2008.  I knew it would ruin Mangini.  He was building something and they had the excuse of being saddled with sh*t contracts (Pennington, Martin, etc).  They had a great pick coming off 2007 and thought they would continue trying to slowly build.  Maybe trade up for Matt Ryan which would have given some built in time while the rookie developed.  It wasn't going to be hard to improve on 2007 and the Adrien Clarke fiasco.  They actually had Will Montgomery on the roster and he turned out to be a decent pro, mostly at center.

Making the postseason is not the ultimate goal but had we made it and lost this season would have been a huge success, just to make it would have been huge and we have depth on the DL.  Mo's injury wouldn't have finished us.

if losing Mo Wilkerson doesn't finish the team then maybe they shouldn't franchise tag him.

fwiw 10-6 and not making it vs 11-5 and losing in rd 1 doesn't feel that much different. 

You think way more of Sanchez (in particular his 2010) than I do, but I generally agree on Favre.  He didn't want to be here in 2008.  He is a fickle old ****er and it would have taken some convincing, but can you imagine our 2009 D with the 2009 Favre?

I was shocked the Jets went after him in 2008.  I knew it would ruin Mangini.  He was building something and they had the excuse of being saddled with sh*t contracts (Pennington, Martin, etc).  They had a great pick coming off 2007 and thought they would continue trying to slowly build.  Maybe trade up for Matt Ryan which would have given some built in time while the rookie developed.  It wasn't going to be hard to improve on 2007 and the Adrien Clarke fiasco.  They actually had Will Montgomery on the roster and he turned out to be a decent pro, mostly at center.

I think I think more of Sanchez than anyone outside his family.:lol:

I think they just got fed up w/ Chad always being hurt and of course he stays healthy in Miami and leads them to div title.

2009 Favre w/ our 2009 team we have a great chance to win it all BUT Favre choked that season away fro NO as he had many times in GB.  he just wasn't a big game player so who knows?

if losing Mo Wilkerson doesn't finish the team then maybe they shouldn't franchise tag him.

fwiw 10-6 and not making it vs 11-5 and losing in rd 1 doesn't feel that much different. 

so we should only franchise a player if he is so valuable our season will end if he is hurt? 

11 wins and playoff app has a MUCH different feel than missing playoffs w/ 10 wins.  11 wins is a huge success w/ postseason, 10 wins w/o playoffs when we had the playoffs in our hands is a failure.  Had Pitt won in week 16 and we go 11-5 and miss the playoffs on a 6 game win streak that's different but we got the huge break of Pitt losing then we blew it against an inferior team.

so we should only franchise a player if he is so valuable our season will end if he is hurt? 

11 wins and playoff app has a MUCH different feel than missing playoffs w/ 10 wins.  11 wins is a huge success w/ postseason, 10 wins w/o playoffs when we had the playoffs in our hands is a failure.  Had Pitt won in week 16 and we go 11-5 and miss the playoffs on a 6 game win streak that's different but we got the huge break of Pitt losing then we blew it against an inferior team.

pretty much if a guy is getting 10+ mil a year it should end your season if he goes down. 

I don't agree with 11 vs 10. in almost any other season, 10 wins is more than enough to make the wildcard. 

pretty much if a guy is getting 10+ mil a year it should end your season if he goes down. 

I don't agree with 11 vs 10. in almost any other season, 10 wins is more than enough to make the wildcard. 

so when Bledsoe went down in 2001 the Pats should have packed it in? why did Seattle keep winning when Lynch went down this year? how did we survive when Kris Jenkins went down in 2009?

not in this season w/ so many bad teams to feast on. 

not in this season w/ so many bad teams to feast on. 

I would argue there weren't that many bad teams this year. Many more mediocre, maybe, but few outright bad.

2 years ago, there were 7 teams with 4 wins or fewer.

Last year, 6.

This year, only 4.

I would argue there weren't that many bad teams this year. Many more mediocre, maybe, but few outright bad.

2 years ago, there were 7 teams with 4 wins or fewer.

Last year, 6.

This year, only 4.

Miami won 6 games and they were terrible.  there may not have been one '96 Jets out there but there were a bunch of really bad teams. 

so when Bledsoe went down in 2001 the Pats should have packed it in? why did Seattle keep winning when Lynch went down this year? how did we survive when Kris Jenkins went down in 2009?

I didn't say anything about the level of effort the team should put forth. I was talking about what realistically would happen to this team, in the playoffs, without Mo Wilkerson. 

I didn't say anything about the level of effort the team should put forth. I was talking about what realistically would happen to this team, in the playoffs, without Mo Wilkerson. 

remember how much better the D was playing early on w/o Richardson?  you never know.  remember when we lost Aaron Glenn in 1998 and got better?  Mo is an excellent player and his lost would have been big but it's not like it would have been impossible to win w/o him.  DL is our strongest position. 

Miami won 6 games and they were terrible.  there may not have been one '96 Jets out there but there were a bunch of really bad teams. 

They played some terrible games, but 6-10 is not a terrible team in my opinion.

Put another way - they finished as close to the bottom as we finished close to the top. If 6-10 is "terrible", then I'd argue 10-6 has to be "excellent". I don't believe either is correct.

They played some terrible games, but 6-10 is not a terrible team in my opinion.

Put another way - they finished as close to the bottom as we finished close to the top. If 6-10 is "terrible", then I'd argue 10-6 has to be "excellent". I don't believe either is correct.

that team quit on their HC early in the season and quit again later in the season.  they had a few good games after the coaching change but were a mess the rest of the year.

we were not a typical 10-6 team, in a normal year we are closer to 8-8, Miami would have been closer to 4-12.  there were a lot of bad teams and it inflated records. 

that team quit on their HC early in the season and quit again later in the season.  they had a few good games after the coaching change but were a mess the rest of the year.

we were not a typical 10-6 team, in a normal year we are closer to 8-8, Miami would have been closer to 4-12.  there were a lot of bad teams and it inflated records. 

Well, the terrible Dolphins went 3-1 vs. teams that made the play-offs this year. It's OK, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Well, the terrible Dolphins went 3-1 vs. teams that made the play-offs this year. It's OK, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

we are allowed to disagree.  they also lost to Jax, got swept by us, swept by Buf, lost to NYG, lost to dallas, lost to SD, lost to Indy.

3-1 against playoff teams.  one was Washington week 1, they weren't good at the time(they aren't very good now, just the best of a bad division).  one was Houston, Hou was 2-5 at the time.  the other was NE where Brady was playing hurt most of the game and the team had lost 4 of 6. 

remember how much better the D was playing early on w/o Richardson?  you never know.  remember when we lost Aaron Glenn in 1998 and got better?  Mo is an excellent player and his lost would have been big but it's not like it would have been impossible to win w/o him.  DL is our strongest position. 

there's alot of middle ground between "this was such a huge missed opportunity" and "you never know" 

I agree with the latter. You never do know. But chances are without their best player they are toast. This whole thread is mourning a "great opportunity" that wasn't really there. Not after Mo broke his leg. 

why didn't they just play for the field goal on that drive?  Ugh

I have no issue going for 6, that's what you want to do but you can't make that read/throw.  you have to be careful.  had we kicked FG we are up by a point w/ an eternity to play and our D was getting killed all day so we would have had to score again anyway.

I have no issue going for 6, that's what you want to do but you can't make that read/throw.  you have to be careful.  had we kicked FG we are up by a point w/ an eternity to play and our D was getting killed all day so we would have had to score again anyway.

I had no issue other than the fact that we'd  be playing on Saturday if we went for 3.

I had no issue other than the fact that we'd  be playing on Saturday if we went for 3.

that is a reach.  if we play for 3 and make it we are up 20-19 w/ almost 11 mins left.  you think we are holding that lead? as it was Buf took over at their 20 as they likely would have on a KO and took 7 mins off the clock and kicked a FG.  why would that have chanced? they dominated our D all day long.

that is a reach.  if we play for 3 and make it we are up 20-19 w/ almost 11 mins left.  you think we are holding that lead? as it was Buf took over at their 20 as they likely would have on a KO and took 7 mins off the clock and kicked a FG.  why would that have chanced? they dominated our D all day long.

Exactly - and we'd be killing the coach for "playing scared" and not going for the win when we had momentum etc ... 

I fully agree with going for the TD, it was the execution that failed, and that's on Fitz. If it isn't there, throw it out the back of the end zone and move on to the next play. 

Archived