2016 -- Who Do You Want To Start at QB?

Warfish

2016 -- Who Do You Want To Start at QB?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 -- Who Do You Want To Start at QB?

• Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Geno Smith
    • Bryce Petty
    • Mike Glennon (Requires Trade/Cost)
    • Zach Mettenberger (Requires Trade/Cost)
    • Colin Kaepernick (Requires Trade/Cost)
    • 2016 NFL Draft - 1st Round Draft Pick (Name Them Please)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. Who?

Glennon is the best QB available via free agency/trade. 

This isnt about "upside" talk. Im talking about what he's done on the field. If I had to choose between Glennon's 19 games vs Fitz 10 year career, given ability, age, skillset etc. Glennon would have edged Fitz out. Fitz received the job because of his relationship with Chan/Macc and he did very well with the opportunity. 

But Glennon is a better QB than Fitz and would be even better with this level of talent than Fitz was with this talent. 

Glennon is the best QB available via free agency/trade. 

This isnt about "upside" talk. Im talking about what he's done on the field. If I had to choose between Glennon's 19 games vs Fitz 10 year career, given ability, age, skillset etc. Glennon would have edged Fitz out. Fitz received the job because of his relationship with Chan/Macc and he did very well with the opportunity. 

But Glennon is a better QB than Fitz and would be even better with this level of talent than Fitz was with this talent. 

He hasn't thrown an NFL pass that mattered in over a year. I liked what I saw of him mostly, but I'm not sure he comes and beats out Fitz in an open competition with Fitz knowing the receivers and offense like he does. I don't think he's a viable option unless Fitz goes elsewhere.

People keep saying this like it would ever come to fruition. It won't. That garbage PR talk.

I hope not.  There's no QB on the Jets roster currently who deserves to be handed the 2016 starting job.  Someone should have to earn it.

If it were a truly open competition, now that Fitz had a season here, I'd say it'd be 50/50 between Fitz/Geno.

He hasn't thrown an NFL pass that mattered in over a year. I liked what I saw of him mostly, but I'm not sure he comes and beats out Fitz in an open competition with Fitz knowing the receivers and offense like he does. I don't think he's a viable option unless Fitz goes elsewhere.

lol What does that matter? I could be an ass and say that Fitz technically hasnt thrown an NFL pass that mattered in 12 years if you want me to get overly technical. That doesnt take away what Fitz has done nor does sitting on the bench because Lovie Smith was an asshat take away from Glennon. 

And you're right, Glennon may not beat out Fitz in a competition early on, but its not like we havent seen THAT story before. I remember Nick Foles losing to Mike Vick during the beginning of the season a few years back then halfway through the season after Vick comes back from injury Foles is torching him in practice. Why? Because once Foles learned the system then he was able to fully implement his skillset. 

If it were a truly open competition, now that Fitz had a season here, I'd say it'd be 50/50 between Fitz/Geno.

It was around 50/50 last year, with Geno getting the early nod.  But that was before Geno got punched by a teammate and Fitz threw 31 TD's and just 15 INT's.  In no universe is there any question that Fitz will be the starter.  Especially since an extension would dictate he makes about $8M per season.  You don't hand a QB starter money just to go back into a QB competition, unless its a Matt Flynn/Russell Wilson situation (which this most certainly is not).  You're completely wrong on this.

If Fitz signs the dotted line on an extension, the only open competition there will be in 2016 is for the backup job.  Abandon all hope, Geno supporters.  Fitz is the guy, no matter how many fans will kick and scream about it.

You're 100% right on this.  If he's signed and I dont see why he wouldnt, there's not open competition.

You dont sign a guy to be your 1 and then get all PC and announce an open competition.  

I hope not.  There's no QB on the Jets roster currently who deserves to be handed the 2016 starting job.  Someone should have to earn it.

I agree. And though some would say that you're completely wrong, the fact that we're even having this conversation shows that you cant be as wrong as some would like to say you are. 

Teams with Franchise QB's, their fans are not having this debate on their team forums. 

Theres only one QB whos started under this CS.  Only one who's won 10 games.

As long as he signs Fitz opens the season as the starter.  I don't think he cant be benched if he were to do a 180 but he sure a shlt deserves to start the season as the starter and every benefit of the doubt

Theres only one QB whos started under this CS.  Only one who's won 10 games.

As long as he signs Fitz opens the season as the starter.  I don't think he cant be benched if he were to do a 180 but he sure a shlt deserves to start the season as the starter and every benefit of the doubt

What number do you think Fitz would sign for? 

What number do you think Fitz would sign for? 

I think he doesnt sign a big deal.  I think he's between 5-8 per.  But I go back and forth on it.   Mid level QBs get a little more so I think its fair.  2 -3 years, something easy to get out of after 1. 

Can't wait for the "Stop defending 10 max win QB" thread next year, after which Fitz wins us 11-12.

LOL.  Its a no brainer.  I wanted to see Geno get a chance and I dont want him to start now.  Fitz got an opportunity and took that opportunity and ran with it.  Whats to complain about?  Do I wish he was a little more accurate?  Yes.  Stronger arm?  Yes.  But we dont have one who adds these 2 things along with the other things Fitz gives us

Doesnt ever work that way with QB when one is the returning starter.

I think the preference is Fitz but that doesn't mean that they can't look at Kap or whoever else is a FA.  If they are wowed then sign them and let the compete. 

I think the preference is Fitz but that doesn't mean that they can't look at Kap or whoever else is a FA.  If they are wowed then sign them and let the compete. 

Kaep has been dreadful the last 2 seasons and is under contract until 2020 (not easily cut until 2017 either).  So unless you want to take on a bloated contract (when we have limited cap space to begin with) and give up some draft picks for the right to do so, he isn't an option.  The free agent list has nobody of significance either.  That's the nature of the QB position:  Limited options.

I'd rather pay Geno $1.6M to be the backup one more year than trade for Colin Kaepernick.  Let them hire Chip Kelly to try to "fix" their QB over in the Bay Area.  We have a perfectly good one on the roster with which we have until March 12th to work out a reasonable deal.

Kaep has been dreadful the last 2 seasons and is under contract until 2020 (not easily cut until 2017 either).  So unless you want to take on a bloated contract (when we have limited cap space to begin with) and give up some draft picks for the right to do so, he isn't an option.  The free agent list has nobody of significance either.  That's the nature of the QB position:  Limited options.

My bad.  I forgot that Kap was still under 49'er control.   How could i forget it since it was such a big contract.

Thanks Jetsfan80

Different story.  If they go out and spend on a FA QB all bets are off and it tells you what they think about Fitz as a solution.  They're not spending what it takes to pick up a Kaep and have sit under Fitz IMO.  Why would Kaep sign?

I'd rather pay Geno $1.6M to be the backup one more year than trade for Colin Kaepernick.  Let them hire Chip Kelly to try to "fix" their QB over in the Bay Area.  We have a perfectly good one on the roster with which we have until March 12th to work out a reasonable deal.

I'm thinking the only way we ever come close to Kaep is through FA after he's released.  His contract is easy to dump, SF is going to cut him more than likely.  He's not staying in SF at 17 mil or whatever hes due but if the new HC likes him he may want him there and gets him to redo the deal.  He has to know if he doesnt hes gone

Different story.  If they go out and spend on a FA QB all bets are off and it tells you what they think about Fitz as a solution.  They're not spending what it takes to pick up a Kaep and have sit under Fitz IMO.  Why would Kaep sign?

yeah i just posted that I forgot he was still under contract.  If he's cut early then we should take a look.  I'm not saying I want him but I am open for us to try anyone if we still haven't resigned Fitz.  You know how these things go.  You are confident you can resign him and at the last second he signs somewhere else.

He wants to stay so that is good even though some will disagree.

nobody has any complaints about the jets short passing game, it was very effective but in order to have a really dynamic offense you have to be a threat to score from anywhere on the field and put up points quickly

Fitzpatrick has longer TD's this year then  Aaron Rogers, Carson Palmer, Matthew Stafford, Derek Carr, Ryan Tannehill, Jameis Winston, Tyrod Taylor, Brian Hoyer, Marcus Mariota, Joe Flacco, Teddy Bridgewater, Josh McCown,Matt Hasselbeck, Nick Foles, and is tied with Big Ben......Just saying

You said Fitz has left a lot of points on the field, and he really hasn't   

Archived