2016 -- Who Do You Want To Start at QB?

Warfish

2016 -- Who Do You Want To Start at QB?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 -- Who Do You Want To Start at QB?

• Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Geno Smith
    • Bryce Petty
    • Mike Glennon (Requires Trade/Cost)
    • Zach Mettenberger (Requires Trade/Cost)
    • Colin Kaepernick (Requires Trade/Cost)
    • 2016 NFL Draft - 1st Round Draft Pick (Name Them Please)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you're impressed by padded stats in blowout games against garbage teams then sure, but some of us want to see more than that.

The problem is it is very hard to find "more than that".  It's very easy to get a lot worse than that.  We haven't had a QB capable of "padding stats" in a long time.  No one disagrees we want an elite QB who gives them a legitimate shot at a title every single season.  Everyone wants that.  Only a handful of teams actually get it. 

The rest have to settle for less, and hope the QB they have is capable of sneaking his team into the postseason and elevating his play and the rest of his team's play when he gets there, similar to the way Joe Flacco did in 2012.  No one could have possibly expected Flacco to have an 11 TD, 0 INT postseason against some very good teams, but it happened.

I want the winner of a legitimate QB competition to start. Of the QBs currently on the roster, Fitz would be the odds on favorite to win that competition, but I still want them to have it. 

And then I want them to have a second QB on the roster they believe in if that winner gets hurt or falters. If they don't see Petty as part of that two man operation, they should draft a QB high - meaning first or second round. If they do believe in the Petty project, then they might as well hold onto Geno as an inexpensive, experienced backup who knows their system. If they draft a QB, then Geno is undoubtedly the odd man out. I mean - unless they think Petty is terrible. 

there will not be a competition, Fitz walks in as 2016 starter.  no doubt about it(barring injury of course).

Considering Bowles has already confirmed this, yep.  

why the hell would anyone want Glennon starting over Fitz? lol...  I don't like Glennon, but I can at least understand wanting him on the roster... but starting by default? 

I'd like some carry-over in 2016, Fitz gets first crack at it, Petty continues holding a clipboard in sweats and I'd get rid Geno in lieu of Kaepernick (salary-cap implications aside) to be the next man if the beard fumbles. 

Reading the replies in here, i'm blown away by how many posts are some variation of: "If Petty is/isn't ready..."..  The guy might no be ready this side of 2020. Talk about a long shot to develop...

Is it just the idea of Petty you guys love so much? Some ESPN story about his virtuous character overcoming hollywood odds? He's got an arm and tenacity... and if that's all it took to play in the pros, then you could grab an NFL QB at your local walmart. 

you can't win games from the training table 

I get that he's old, and was hurt this year. But he missed one game. And put up 32/11 for 4800 yards at 68%. And that game he missed? First one since 2009.

If the Saints are dumping him for cap purposes.. which probably won't happen.. but if it does - I take a long look

EDIT: nevermind.. I see Payton is coming back to New Orleans.. which means Brees is going nowhere.

there will not be a competition, Fitz walks in as 2016 starter.  no doubt about it(barring injury of course).

I'm aware of what Bowles has said on the issue. 

The thread was looking for opinions. Mine is that handing Fitz the job outright is a bad idea. And if they do just hand him the job, they better have a viable alternative in place. 

I'm aware of what Bowles has said on the issue. 

The thread was looking for opinions. Mine is that handing Fitz the job outright is a bad idea. And if they do just hand him the job, they better have a viable alternative in place. 

Well, last year they handed it to Geno outright, but did have a viable alternative in place that got us to within 1 TD of the play offs. So I'm happy to trust their judgement next year.

The problem is it is very hard to find "more than that".  It's very easy to get a lot worse than that.  We haven't had a QB capable of "padding stats" in a long time.  No one disagrees we want an elite QB who gives them a legitimate shot at a title every single season.  Everyone wants that.  Only a handful of teams actually get it. 

The rest have to settle for less, and hope the QB they have is capable of sneaking his team into the postseason and elevating his play and the rest of his team's play when he gets there, similar to the way Joe Flacco did in 2012.  No one could have possibly expected Flacco to have an 11 TD, 0 INT postseason against some very good teams, but it happened.

I agree with you on most of your points but IMO the jets are going to need to take a chance on a guy with more upside than fitz if they are going to have a chance to do anything. Gailey did a great job getting as much as they could out of him this season but in the end it wasn't enough and I don't see another 10-6 repeat unless the jets make some changes. I guess I'd just rather see this team take a chance at more even if it comes with some risks of failure, but I could see wanting to stay the course if you really believe this success is sustainable

I agree with you on most of your points but IMO the jets are going to need to take a chance on a guy with more upside than fitz if they are going to have a chance to do anything. Gailey did a great job getting as much as they could out of him this season but in the end it wasn't enough and I don't see another 10-6 repeat unless the jets make some changes. I guess I'd just rather see this team take a chance at more even if it comes with some risks of failure, but I could see wanting to stay the course if you really believe this success is sustainable

Ok. Who?

The scary part for me is that lots of guys expect Fitz to just take up where he left off.  (Okay, not exactly where he left off in that last debacle of a game in Buffalo.) Personally, I think this season Fitz had his dream season, statistically.  IMO, it's downhill from here.  Or, reverting back to what he has always been: A JAG QB who has never made the playoffs.

I'm not a GM but I would be looking hard at making a trade for a QB like cutler, Stafford, brees. Somebody who can hit a wide open receiver down the field at the very least. I'd take Bradford all day over fitz too

You don't say?

And Cutler, Stafford, and Brees aren't going anywhere and they all make far too much money to squeeze into the Jets cap space. Unless you're ready to part ways with Wilk, Brick, and others to get one of them here. Plus, all of those teams would be looking for picks the Jets shouldn't be parting with.

The scary part for me is that lots of guys expect Fitz to just take up where he left off.  (Okay, not exactly where he left off in that last debacle of a game in Buffalo.) Personally, I think this season Fitz had his dream season, statistically.  IMO, it's downhill from here.  Or, reverting back to what he has always been: A JAG QB who has never made the playoffs.

Just remember, at the start of 2015 he'd never won more than 6 games in a season. ;)

Kaepernick is awful. Please stop bringing his name up as a viable option, he's not.

Please stick to the point.  No one will trade for a Kaep.  Or Glennon.  Or Mettenberger.

Signing them as a FA is different story.

And I get it, why look at a QB who has been to two NFCCGs and a SB, see what he has. 

Please stick to the point.  No one will trade for a Kaep.  Or Glennon.  Or Mettenberger.

Signing them as a FA is different story.

And I get it, why look at a QB who has been to two NFCCGs and a SB, see what he has. 

I'm on point. Kaep did not bring the 49ers to anything, the team around him did, just like Sanchez. Kaep is not a starter. Kaep would not be welcome in the Jets locker room. Have you followed his career? The guy is immature, inaccurate as a passer, cannot read a defense and is a run first qb. Other than that, he's great!

I'm on point. Kaep did not bring the 49ers to anything, the team around him did, just like Sanchez. Kaep is not a starter. Kaep would not be welcome in the Jets locker room. Have you followed his career? The guy is immature, inaccurate as a passer, cannot read a defense and is a run first qb. Other than that, he's great!

ok.  Kaep is not a starter and would not be welcomed into the Jets lockerroom.  We should stick to what we can discuss, what they can or can't do on the field.  No one knows what anyone is like behind closed door.  Marshall should have taught us that lesson.

Back to what I was saying by using Kaep as a clear example.  Kaep, Mettenberger and Glennon were offered up as choices with the idea that they would have to be traded for.  All three are a completely different case with or with out having to be traded for.  That was my point.  Not strictly inking them or not.  

if you're impressed by padded stats in blowout games against garbage teams then sure, but some of us want to see more than that. Plus with the amount of takeaways the jets defense served fitz on a silver platter they should have been at least a top 10 team in scoring

Think they finished the year as a top 5 red zone offense.  

I don' know anything about college QB's but I'd have to imagine they're not going to invest a 1st or 2nd pick on one - especially if they think Petty is worth a sh-t.

With that being the case then I want then to see a legit competition between Geno and Fitz.  We just saw the best that Fitz has ever done which included just as many mediocre games as good ones.  We missed the playoffs.  Next years schedule is not full of the cream puffs we saw this year. 

I don't want them to hand it to Fitz any more than they handed it to Geno last year.  Let it work itself out the next few months.

ok.  Kaep is not a starter and would not be welcomed into the Jets lockerroom.  We should stick to what we can discuss, what they can or can't do on the field.  No one knows what anyone is like behind closed door.  Marshall should have taught us that lesson.

Back to what I was saying by using Kaep as a clear example.  Kaep, Mettenberger and Glennon were offered up as choices with the idea that they would have to be traded for.  All three are a completely different case with or with out having to be traded for.  That was my point.  Not strictly inking them or not.  

Fair enough.

Think they finished the year as a top 5 red zone offense.  

nobody has any complaints about the jets short passing game, it was very effective but in order to have a really dynamic offense you have to be a threat to score from anywhere on the field and put up points quickly

Archived