Could the Jets sign Terrance Knighton to replace Damon Harrison ? ? ?

kelly

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

What Revis is paid has nothing to do with his play except in the sense that he earned it, but I did have a feeling money was the deciding factor for you. I was actually wrong about Harris Jr., very very very good but none of these guys are in Revis' league. While the names in the top 3 individuals at CB tends to rotate two out every year, the constant is Revis, who is still the best and definitely definitely not as low as 6th.

You overrate Jets players immensely. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

You rely on your emotions and feelings too much. Hard hitting #analysis THO, you sure showed me.

Watch the film this year. It has nothing to do with emotions or feelings. Revis was very good this year, but he wasn't nearly a top 3 at his position player. Probably top 10, but his days of being cream of the crop are behind him. 

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Watch the film this year. It has nothing to do with emotions or feelings. Revis was very good this year, but he wasn't nearly a top 3 at his position player. Probably top 10, but his days of being cream of the crop are behind him. 

Yeah, totally I buy that you sat down and broke down the film for every CB in the league and made a thoughtful analysis on Revis. That definitely sounds like the approach you took, for sure.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF/status/685214736330420224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Rotfl "probably top 10"...It's just so consistently ridiculous with the opinions. I don't get how you can spend so much time on a football forum talking football, but be so out of touch with football.

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah, totally I buy that you sat down and broke down the film for every CB in the league and made a thoughtful analysis on Revis. That definitely sounds like the approach you took, for sure.

Rotfl "probably top 10"...It's just so consistently ridiculous with the opinions. I don't get how you can spend so much time on a football forum talking football, but be so out of touch with football.

Weird. They have him 20th overall here. Hmm. I'm so out of touch. I should go back to literally anything else since you're the grand wizard of football. 

32 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Weird. They have him 20th overall here. Hmm. I'm so out of touch. I should go back to literally anything else since you're the grand wizard of football. 

Ah, the ol' December 4th rankings....nothing more damning than a ranking at the 75% mark for the season.

Here's a PFF comment on Revis from December 31:

While Darrelle Revis (79.7) has had a pretty significant drop in play, he is still the No.2 cornerback in NFL QB rating allowed in coverage, at 51.2.

It should also be noted that most of the people ahead of Revis this year have as many high quality seasons (one) as he has maybe had out of the tippy top tier this decade. Sure, we're out of the days where he's in the conversation for best defensive player, let alone corner, in the league, but it's pretty laughable to actually buy he's only probably a top 10 CB on one season.

Richard Sherman (84.9, No. 12 cornerback).

That's from the same article. Revis was rated below 80. So, he's obviously not top 12. Apparently, PFF doesn't care about QB rating against as much as other factors. So which are we to believe? An individual's number or the overall number? Pick your poison. 

29 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Richard Sherman (84.9, No. 12 cornerback).

That's from the same article. Revis was rated below 80. So, he's obviously not top 12. Apparently, PFF doesn't care about QB rating against as much as other factors. So which are we to believe? An individual's number or the overall number? Pick your poison. 

It's like you can't go a post without saying something wrong for the sake of a slant.

58 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

It's like you can't go a post without saying something wrong for the sake of a slant.

I didn't say anything wrong. Your PFF numbers themselves say that he's a top 20 overall CB but his one individual number is rated 2nd. So, which stat are you cherry picking for your argument?

35 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I didn't say anything wrong.

This might believable if it were true and/or you didn't insist this everytime you're wrong. The rest of your post goes on to double down on verbal diarrhea all for the sake of you narrative. They're both one number dummy, you're leaning on one now that PFF is convenient for you, and I'm leaning on one I got from PFF that isn't PFF's. The logic for QBR against is simple - QBR is correlated with QB performance which correlates to wins. While it isn't PFF's  proprietary stat, what they use to do their own internal rankings, they find it relevant enough to consistently mention, publish, and track it anyway. What's your logic of suddenly being all about PFF ratings and rankings now that they are convenient for you?

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

This might believable if it were true and/or you didn't insist this everytime you're wrong. The rest of your post goes on to double down on verbal diarrhea all for the sake of you narrative. They're both one number dummy, you're leaning on one now that PFF is convenient for you, and I'm leaning on one I got from PFF that isn't PFF's. The logic for QBR against is simple - QBR is correlated with QB performance which correlates to wins. While it isn't PFF's  proprietary stat, what they use to do their own internal rankings, they find it relevant enough to consistently mention, publish, and track it anyway. What's your logic of suddenly being all about PFF ratings and rankings now that they are convenient for you?

You write a lot when you're wrong. This is fun. Revis is still really good and I'm glad he's a Jet. He's not the best corner in the league anymore. The stats bear that out. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You write a lot when you're wrong. This is fun. Revis is still really good and I'm glad he's a Jet. He's not the best corner in the league anymore. The stats bear that out. 

Yay, the white flag post. Fair enough you can grab and have that inch. He's as low as the second best in a given year to some random new random now and moving forward rather than outright the best.

On 2/18/2016 at 9:20 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

What kind of pass rush will the Jets need when teams are constantly in 3rd and short or, not getting to 3rd down at all?

Jets against the run (yards allowed):

2015 - 2nd

2014 - 5th

2013 - 3rd

2012 - 26th

Guess which year Harrison was the starting nose tackle for the whole season and the next two after that?

and then they just throw at whoever skrine/harris is covering and its all a waste, lol

I still say in the interest of the team, the Jets should tag and trade Mo Wilkerson. This will allow the Jets to resign Snacks, Fitz, Powell and whomever else they want among their pending free agents. It will also set the Jets up pretty good with a few extra first day picks in the draft. It's my opinion, that although Mo Wilkerson is a very special player and one I would really rather not see leave, I think the Jets are well stocked with DT/DE. Snacks is a little harder to replace I feel because of his size and how much of a specialized player you have to be to play NT in a 3-4.

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said free agent NT Damon Harrison could be franchise tagged.

Harrison would only be a candidate if DE Muhammad Wilkerson signs an extension. One of the top run stoppers in the league, Harrison is going to be in high demand if he hits the market. Tagging Harrison would cost the Jets $13.4M.

Feb 24 - 4:11 PM

Consumer Price Index for a Young and Still Developing towards Prime DT:

Malik Jackson - DL -  Broncos

The Chicago Tribune passes along word from the Combine that free agent DL Malik Jackson is "believed to be seeking" $12 million per year.

9 News in Denver recently reported the Broncos offered Jackson a deal averaging $10 million per season. Jackson may still stay in Denver, but only if GM John Elway ups his proposal. In this market, we wouldn't be surprised if Jackson could get quite a bit more than his $12 million goal. NFL teams are flush with cap space and Jackson is ascending with his best years ahead of him.

Feb 24 - 9:03 PM

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said free agent NT Damon Harrison could be franchise tagged.

Harrison would only be a candidate if DE Muhammad Wilkerson signs an extension. One of the top run stoppers in the league, Harrison is going to be in high demand if he hits the market. Tagging Harrison would cost the Jets $13.4M.

Feb 24 - 4:11 PM

Wow.

How could you franchise tag someone for upwards of 80-100% more than you want to pay him annually? Even those madly in love with Snacks never dreamed of retaining him at a penny more than $8M/season. Especially after his "I'm not that greedy" disclosure. 

If this is true Maccagnan said this, and it's not a rumor or misunderstanding, I'm really surprised. I don't see how it makes sense for Maccagnan to tag him or to publicly announce - during contract negotiations - that he thinks Snacks is worth over $13M to the 2016 Jets.

I'm hoping this is a mistake because I can't understand the purpose of admitting or leaking such a thing. What possible good is accomplished?

************NT/DT SALARY NEOGTIATIONS MARKET UPDATE**********

9 News Denver reports the Broncos are "far apart" in contract talks with free agent DL Malik Jackson.

As of last week, Jackson was believed to be seeking $12 million per year. That would be a doable sum for the Broncos, but it's conceivable Jackson's agent came away from the Combine believing his client could make more money elsewhere. 9 News Denver's Mike Klis suggests that number could be north of $15 million annually. The Broncos are expected to franchise tag Von Miller.

Source: 9 News Denver 
Feb 28 - 5:29 PM

A DT is not worth $15M/year. A 3Technique DT in a 4-3 front, such as Warren Sapp, Sheldon Richardson, Gerald McCoy(TB), or Aaron Donald (STL), MAY command that type of salary if they are TRUE game changers like the aforementioned, but Malik Jackson is NOT that. NO WAY MacCags even inches near that mark for a 3-4 UDFA NG out of William&Mary. If #94's agent even THINKS he's going to approach that number, see ya Snacks. 

Repeat after me Jets fan: HELLO DEON SIMON.

PS - Sheldon would be MUCH more effective and dangerous in a 4-3 front as an interior DT instead of the DE we utilize, and even WORSE OLB in latter half of '15, him in our current 3-4 defensive front. 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

************NT/DT SALARY NEOGTIATIONS MARKET UPDATE**********

9 News Denver reports the Broncos are "far apart" in contract talks with free agent DL Malik Jackson.

As of last week, Jackson was believed to be seeking $12 million per year. That would be a doable sum for the Broncos, but it's conceivable Jackson's agent came away from the Combine believing his client could make more money elsewhere. 9 News Denver's Mike Klis suggests that number could be north of $15 million annually. The Broncos are expected to franchise tag Von Miller.

Source: 9 News Denver 
Feb 28 - 5:29 PM

In theory fa defense lineman shouldn't get those prices , with the strength of this draft on defense line ( especially Dt) .    Why over pay at that position, when you have excellent chance of filling your needs , with a lot cheaper option in the draft.

I think a lot of these numbers being thrown out are from the Fa agents , as they try to drive up the price .   Let's see what these players actually sign for, and what the real market rate is for these players. ( the depth on defense line in this draft, should   push this market down.)

Malik Jackson shouldn't get anywhere close to 12 million a year , he probably shouldn't even be a ten million dollar player.    I think he gets 10 million dollars easy-  simple because some teams have to spend to reach the salary cap floor.  ( to be complying with the 89% rule.

On February 25, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Wow.

How could you franchise tag someone for upwards of 80-100% more than you want to pay him annually? Even those madly in love with Snacks never dreamed of retaining him at a penny more than $8M/season. Especially after his "I'm not that greedy" disclosure. 

If this is true Maccagnan said this, and it's not a rumor or misunderstanding, I'm really surprised. I don't see how it makes sense for Maccagnan to tag him or to publicly announce - during contract negotiations - that he thinks Snacks is worth over $13M to the 2016 Jets.

I'm hoping this is a mistake because I can't understand the purpose of admitting or leaking such a thing. What possible good is accomplished?

They're worried because a lot of teams with bad run defenses have a ton of cap room.  Giants $50 mil, jags $75 mil

38 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

They're worried because a lot of teams with bad run defenses have a ton of cap room.  Giants $50 mil, jags $75 mil

Then you sign him before he hits FA. If there's a player you want to sign to $6M/year (even $8M/year) you don't tag him with a 1 year deal at around double that amount. Most contracts have about 2 years $ in guarantees paid out over the first 2 years of a multi-year deal. Tagging Snacks would give him the leverage of 2 years $ in 1 year then he gets to go back to the well or leave for the highest bidder a year later. From a negotiating standpoint it makes no sense unless we're willing to lock him up long term in a $12M/year range (in which case his long term deal would contain some $25M in guarantees and he therefore has an incentive to sign that rather than willingly play out the year under the franchise tag).

If I'm Snacks, and the Jets franchise tag me, I more or less cut off all negotiation for a long term deal. Financially he's far, far better off playing under that 1 year deal than signing a 4 year deal with no more (or an insignificant amount more) guarantees than a 1 year deal that allows him to get a new deal with even more guaranteed $ a year later.

Tagging him makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then you sign him before he hits FA. If there's a player you want to sign to $6M/year (even $8M/year) you don't tag him with a 1 year deal at around double that amount. Most contracts have about 2 years $ in guarantees paid out over the first 2 years of a multi-year deal. Tagging Snacks would give him the leverage of 2 years $ in 1 year then he gets to go back to the well or leave for the highest bidder a year later. From a negotiating standpoint it makes no sense unless we're willing to lock him up long term in a $12M/year range (in which case his long term deal would contain some $25M in guarantees and he therefore has an incentive to sign that rather than willingly play out the year under the franchise tag).

If I'm Snacks, and the Jets franchise tag me, I more or less cut off all negotiation for a long term deal. Financially he's far, far better off playing under that 1 year deal than signing a 4 year deal with no more (or an insignificant amount more) guarantees than a 1 year deal that allows him to get a new deal with even more guaranteed $ a year later.

Tagging him makes no sense.

I agree but it's all moot now because it seems we are tagging Mo.

So bye bye Snacks.  How do we replace him?  Maybe give Kenrick Ellis another shot?  He was decent when he was here just not as good as Snacks.

The Falcons just cut Solai maybe he's a possibilit 

22 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I agree but it's all moot now because it seems we are tagging Mo.

So bye bye Snacks.  How do we replace him?  Maybe give Kenrick Ellis another shot?  He was decent when he was here just not as good as Snacks.

I don't know that it's bye bye Snacks. It just means they aren't tagging him and there's more than enough time left to get a deal worked out, if there's one to be had.

Personally though, if I'm Snacks, absent a ludicrous offer from the Jets I'm looking for a bidding war. The hard part - having another terrific season and making it through the season healthy - is over. The main incentive to re-signing with the Jets now is if we make him an offer he's unlikely to get on the open market. If he hits the open market and doesn't get the offers he's really looking for, it would then lower the contract the Jets needed to offer when they were bidding with just themselves. There are enough 3-4 teams out there and at his job he's as solid and reliable as they come, so it's a worthwhile risk. A lot less risky than playing out a season with no long term guarantees. 

I want him retained but at this point it's really in his interest to wait to see how much more he could get elsewhere. It's going to take a lot to get him to pass up on his dream scenario of a multi-suitor bidding war as an UFA in his prime.

32 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

um . . . . your answer is stated below:

On February 21, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Gas2No99 said:

13 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Repeat after me Jets fan: HELLO DEON SIMON.

I don't get WHY people are fretting over losing Snacks as if his position is not one of the MORE REPLACEABLE ones on a 3-4 defense?!?!

Resign Kenrick Ellis who was cut by the Giants by TC after signing a FA deal and was not picked up until Late October by a desperate Vikings team 3 weeks later because Minny lost their other DT to IR ?

Paul Soliai a 32 year old wash up?!?!?!

Your NEXT NG for the 2016 Jets most likely will be DEON SIMON PEOPLE!!!

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

:D

On 2/20/2016 at 0:59 PM, SenorGato said:

Ah, the ol' December 4th rankings....nothing more damning than a ranking at the 75% mark for the season.

Here's a PFF comment on Revis from December 31:

It should also be noted that most of the people ahead of Revis this year have as many high quality seasons (one) as he has maybe had out of the tippy top tier this decade. Sure, we're out of the days where he's in the conversation for best defensive player, let alone corner, in the league, but it's pretty laughable to actually buy he's only probably a top 10 CB on one season.

too bad they played buffalo on Jan 3rd.... 

Archived