Will Jets dump Geno Smith to accelerate Bryce Petty's development ? ? ?

kelly

I don't think that Petty wants to be a number 3 this season. But who if an injury etc gives the Jets their best chance to win. The GM and coaching staff will have to make that assessment but imo right now it is Geno. Did he get something out of sitting out almost all of 2015 like many other NFL Qbs have done in the past. According to what we've heard he has. I go with the 3 guys we had last year: Fitz as no 1, Geno no. 2 and then Petty. I wouldn't draft a Qb because we already have two guys who are in the developmental stage. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will probably be Geno's last year with the Jets. Here is his contract http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/geno-smith/. He's not due that much (a million plus) in 2016 and he's a UFA in 2017. Things could change and the might trade him on draft day for a pick but overall at that salary and considering his game experience he's not the worst backup Qb in the NFL. And we saw what happened to teams with QB injuries last season. He's worth the million.Next year let him fly away. 

8 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

It never ceases to amaze me that there are people still in existence that think Kaepernick is anything but a glorified Geno

It never ceases to amaze me that a QB starved organization and its fan base would fall head over heels for a journeyman QB who has never made the playoffs in his career,theres more to the season than the 16 games in regular season. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

It never ceases to amaze me that a QB starved organization and its fan base would fall head over heels for a journeyman QB who has never made the playoffs in his career,theres more to the season than the 16 games in regular season. 

Fitz > Kaepernick 

Sorry

— The Jets drafted Bryce Petty in last year's fourth round withevery intention of having him be a project. 

Petty spent most of his rookie season as the third-string option behind Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith.Fitzpatrick can become a free agent in the weeks ahead, butall indications point to the Jets keeping him as their 2016 starter. Smith is entering the final year of his contract.But what about Petty? Where does he stand? How far has he come in one year?"I think he's still developing," head coach Todd Bowles said this week at the NFL Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. "We'll see when preseason and camp rolls around next year how much he's developed, and whether the game has slowed down for him a little bit.

"We know he's a talent, he can throw, he's bright, he's learning, and he will keep progressing forward."Petty got plenty of reps last year during organized team activities, minicamp, and training camp. But he was mostly only getting scout team reps once the regular season began, though Bowles also said "he got some regular reps, too."Petty came close to being the starter in the middle of the season, after Fitzpatrick tore ligaments in his left thumb and Smith bruised his left shoulder in a disastrous loss at the Raiders. Fitzpatrick was able to return the following week and to finish out the season.

Petty had played in a wide-open system in college at Baylor, where he hadn't even taken a snap from under center. In November, Petty told NJ Advance Media he felt he had come a long way from when he was drafted. He also said working with Fitzpatrick was "greatest possible situation" in which he could be.Even with Fitzpatrick returning, the Jets face a decision this offseason about whether to draft another quarterback of the future. And the draft is in late April—before the offseason program that ultimately will show more about Petty's progress.As for what it would take for Petty to show he deserves to be even the No. 2 quarterback next season, Bowles reiterated that it was too soon to tell.

"That'll be determined in preseason and how well he does in summer camp and spring," Bowles said.

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/bryce_petty_and_jets_where_is_he_with_his_developm.html#incart_river_index

Look I can't change anyone's mind about Fitz and his value to the team. If you think he's mediocre that's your opinion. No one ever said he was an elite franchise Qb. But there are none available. And they don't fall out of trees. If you get a Qb like Fitz who fits in the way he did with teammates and wins ten games his first year (after a 4-12 team record) I like what Bowles had to say about him at the end of the year: something like this-some players it takes a while for them to find the right place to play. And when they do they can play at a higher level. The Jets are the right spot for Fitz. He clicked here.The guy even played through a broken thumb. So don't say he's not tough. He's a thoroughly enjoyable player to watch. He extends play with his legs and doesn't shoot his mouth off after good games. And he's the best Jets Qb since Chad. 

Teams generally bring four QBs to training camp. Even if the Jets draft one this year, Geno probably makes it to training camp. Sure, the writing be be on the wall for him (especially if they draft one in the first three rounds), and he may even ask to be released at that point, but it's in the team's best interest to carry him at least that far. Then -factoring everything- you bring your top three into the regular season. I think the only way Geno is gone sooner is if they can get something for him in a trade, which would seem to be unlikely. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Teams generally bring four QBs to training camp. Even if the Jets draft one this year, Geno probably makes it to training camp. Sure, the writing be be on the wall for him (especially if they draft one in the first three rounds), and he may even ask to be released at that point, but it's in the team's best interest to carry him at least that far. Then -factoring everything- you bring your top three into the regular season. I think the only way Geno is gone sooner is if they can get something for him in a trade, which would seem to be unlikely. 

Unless we draft a blue chip QB early I cannot see wasting draft picks on anymore camp QB bodies we have way too many other glaring needs to continue doing this, 

1 minute ago, Colgateman said:

Why do you guys want to talk bad about geno so much? I am going to address it right here and now, it must be because he is a black man! A strong soul brother who walks the Motown train? Do you n want to see soul brotha #2 to fail?

Jets fans always hate the good guys Geno Smith,Fireman Ed. 

Not to mention that Fitz could get hurt and then all you have is Petty with zero experience, backing him up.  If anything, Petty could beat out Smith for number 2 and then cut Smith and sign a cheap veteran in his place.   I personally feel Petty will be more ready to play than people think.  He is a very hard working guy and he has to see the situation here with an aging Fitz and an out of favor former starter in Smith.  He could be competing to start sooner rather than later.  

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Not to mention that Fitz could get hurt and then all you have is Petty with zero experience, backing him up.  If anything, Petty could beat out Smith for number 2 and then cut Smith and sign a cheap veteran in his place.   I personally feel Petty will be more ready to play than people think.  He is a very hard working guy and he has to see the situation here with an aging Fitz and an out of favor former starter in Smith.  He could be competing to start sooner rather than later.  

training camp is a big deal, since fitz does get injured, and geno is in the last year of his contract.  

16 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If Fitz is back and gets hurt, the season is over. Might as well see what Petty or new draft pick has if that's the case. We already know what Geno is. And it's not the goods. 

Why is the season over? That is truly LOSER thinking.  When Brady went down a few years ago, the Pats still won 11 games with Matt ******* Cassell.  Smith went 8-8 with a much worse Jets roster then last years team; why is it so inconceivable that he couldn't win at least as many with a much better team and some actually weapons on offense?   We don't know how good or bad Petty will be but he will be in his second season after watching and learning from the sidelines.  

Just now, JetBlue said:

Why is the season over? That is truly LOSER thinking.  When Brady went down a few years ago, the Pats still won 11 games with Matt ******* Cassell.  Smith went 8-8 with a much worse Jets roster then last years team; why is it so inconceivable that he couldn't win at least as many with a much better team and some actually weapons on offense?   We don't know how good or bad Petty will be but he will be in his second season after watching and learning from the sidelines.  

Geno Smith won't be here and Petty likely won't be really ready to be viewed as a possible starter until 2017. If Fitz is back, he's the starter. If he gets hurt, the season is done. The supporting cast just isn't good enough to carry a lesser QB. A lot to be determined between now and then though.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Geno Smith won't be here and Petty likely won't be really ready to be viewed as a possible starter until 2017. If Fitz is back, he's the starter. If he gets hurt, the season is done. The supporting cast just isn't good enough to carry a lesser QB. A lot to be determined between now and then though.

The season is done if Fitzpatrick is resigned and named the starter the schedule is a lot tougher than last years. You do realize Fitzpatrick has never took a team to the playoffs. 

Most of us fans root for the jets to make the playoffs not win 8-9-10 games and not make the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I respectfully disagree.   Geno may very well be here (who else will be here in his place), Petty may or may not be ready by training camp.  Neither you nor I can say for sure that he won't be.  To assume the season is done because a Journeyman QB gets hurt is ridiculous.  We have no idea who we will add in FA, Trades and the draft. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The season is done if Fitzpatrick is resigned and named the starter the schedule is a lot tougher than last years. You do realize Fitzpatrick has never took a team to the playoffs. 

Most of us fans root for the jets to make the playoffs not win 8-9-10 games and not make the playoffs. 

They guy is the very definition of Journeyman.  To his credit he had a career year playing on the best team of his career, but if he gets hurt our season is over?  Unreal...  

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

They guy is the very definition of Journeyman.  To his credit he had a career year playing on the best team of his career, but if he gets hurt our season is over?  Unreal...  

Fitzpatrick had a busted hand that required surgery and they rushed him back so they didn't have to play Geno. What does that say about him?

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fitzpatrick had a busted hand that required surgery and they rushed him back so they didn't have to play Geno. What does that say about him?

That the injury wasn't that severe, and Bowles didn't want to make a change to a guy who missed all of training camp?  What does that have to do with next season? 

Just now, JetBlue said:

That the injury wasn't that severe, and Bowles didn't want to make a change to a guy who missed all of training camp?  What does that have to do with next season? 

Or it says that the coaching staff had zero faith in the guy and isn't married to him because he wasn't their draft pick. It's my opinion that Geno Smith is pretty much done here. Bowles said at his presser the other day that Geno was the backup. He's not even in consideration to be a starting QB.

the typical fitz supporter, trying to change the subject.

it is know Fitzpatrick has been a league laughing stock qb until this year, can't believe this guy said our season will be done if a journeyman who's never been in the playoffs goes down our season is over, our season is over when fitz is resigned and goes in there against all the elite teams we have to play and throws his usual 3 or 4 picks against top 15 defenses that he's done his whole career, he has beat less than 5 teams with a winning record in his whole career, sorry to let you know the facts. Fitz lovers love to fall back on 31-15 though, when he was a bottom ten qb in every advanced stat, good thing people who do stats don't think fitz is good because he was able to beat up on losing teams with one top ten arguably top 5 receiver in the nfl, and another one whom is one of the best 2nd receivers in the league 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Or it says that the coaching staff had zero faith in the guy and isn't married to him because he wasn't their draft pick. It's my opinion that Geno Smith is pretty much done here. Bowles said at his presser the other day that Geno was the backup. He's not even in consideration to be a starting QB.

You realize this time last year he also said Geno was his starter?  Things can change and truthfully this has nothing to do with Geno.  If Fitz got hurt I personally would have no problem with signing a veteran back up, or an RG3 or Kaep if either becomes available and/or seeing what Petty could do.  My point is our whole season doesn't rest on the health of Fitzpatrick in my opinion.  If Geno Smith is on the team in camp, and his healthy he may very well make the team and then if Fitz gets hurt, it could be an entirely different scenario.  Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, Colgateman said:

Imagine what the Jets would of been able to do with a qb whom doesn't fold like a lawn chair when going against a decent team

Like whom for example?  Imagine what the Jets would have been like if one of their past QB's like Geno or Sanchez played this year?

(Oh and like ever Fitz Disser you utterly failed to provide even a hint of a reasonable alternative to him.)

Just now, Beerfish said:

Like whom for example?  Imagine what the Jets would have been like if one of their past QB's like Geno or Sanchez played this year?

I am in the minority but I personally think Geno would have done fine with this team last year.  Maybe Sanchez too.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Well, if I remember correctly, Sanchez led game winning drives against great teams and stepped up in big time moments, and was a defensive collapse away from being in the SB. If I remember correctly smith managed to 8-8 with one of the worst rosters in the nfl. But again, what has fitz done?

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

(Oh and like ever Fitz Disser you utterly failed to provide even a hint of a reasonable alternative to him.)

The alternative would of been geno, I find it hilarious how you guys think fitz has all of sudden became a great qb when he was a garbage bin and a terrible qb for every season of his career except for this one. He is a journeyman for a reason, can your mind not grasp that? When geno came in for fitz he had the average game for him, without: first team reps, playing live football in a year, and being thrown in unexpected, I really find it hilarious you and the rest of the fitz lovers think a guy can't develop

i will find this board hilarious once tragic sh*ts the bed and gets benched next season, ALL of the FACTS and stats prove fitz was bailed out by a weak schedule and great cast, keep being delusional though

2 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Well, if I remember correctly, Sanchez led game winning drives against great teams and stepped up in big time moments, and was a defensive collapse away from being in the SB. If I remember correctly smith managed to 8-8 with one of the worst rosters in the nfl. But again, what has fitz done?

Don't waste your bandwidth. Some folks just have a real bias especially regarding Smith.  We had one of the softest schedules in memory last year and still missed the playoffs, largely because our Qb couldn't get it done in two games against the Bills.  

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

LOL Bowles also said Ivory was hurt against Buffalo.

Archived