The Boozer Plan

32EBoozer

FA begins in 4 days(3/9) Teams must be under cap by then.

As we stand now Jets $6.6m under cap with Mo tag and Cro cut.

Wilkerson will drag out contract to gain leverage so put him on back burner

Cut Breno/ Cumberland = $6.3 mil cap savings

Re-work Brick contract ($4 m savings) or cut after FA Left Tackle signed.

Sign Fitz 2 yr.$18m ($5m cap charge)

FA signings(Guys who could be had at a fair price) Take your pick for mult. player options

Sign OT Kelvin Beachum (coming off ACL tear should be ready by camp)/ Mitchell Shwartz

ILB Jerrell Freeman (good coverage man) / Rolando McClain (Very good talent/ has had some off field issues)

OLB Junior Galette (Good on field production but injured last yr)/ Marc Barron (smooth transition from S to OLB)

TE Zack Miller/ Ben Watson

Thoughts or Critiques?

8 minutes ago, ljr said:

Sounds reasonably thought out

think the Fitz $ will wind up being a bit higher 

think the TE from NE may be a better choice there

I don't think he'll be a better option, but certainly a cheaper one.

In retrospect, I see I forgot about signing a RB or 2.

I think I'd look at Powell and then a guy like Boobie Dixon or Kendall Hunter or Bernard Pierce ot Matt Asiata

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We arent going to compete for a Super Bowl signing other teams cheap players off the trash heap with the exception of a few maybe. 

We need to free up a lot more cap money to bring in quality players. 

We need to trade Wilkerson to shed that cap hit off and then we'll be in decent condition. Mike has to know this is the only way to be able to compete for half way decent players this offseason.

26 minutes ago, ljr said:

Sounds reasonably thought out

think the Fitz $ will wind up being a bit higher 

think the TE from NE may be a better choice there

I don't think he'll be a better option, but certainly a cheaper one.

In retrospect, I see I forgot about signing a RB or 2.

I think I'd look at Powell and then a guy like Boobie Dixon or Dan Herron 

I like the overall objective a lot, but if you look at bricks contract, there is no way they outright cut him this year, but its very likely he will be cut after next season, then possibly brought back with a cheaper deal

cutting brick this year means 5 million in dead money and 9 million in savings

cutting brick next year means 1 million in dead money and 13 million in savings

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We arent going to compete for a Super Bowl signing other teams cheap players off the trash heap with the exception of a few maybe. 

These are solid signings with some upside and can be fit into our Cap limitations.

If someone doesn't trade for Wilkerson Day 1, we can't be caught w/o getting some players to give us flexibility in the Draft.

Until Mo signs his tender, I don't think he can be traded.

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

These are solid signings with some upside and can be fit into our Cap limitations.

If someone doesn't trade for Wilkerson Day 1, we can't be caught w/o getting some players to give us flexibility in the Draft.

Until Mo signs his tender, I don't think he can be traded.

true, but the only way a trade gets done is if the team getting mo works out a long term deal, and then he signs the tender to get his deal

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

true, but the only way a trade gets done is if the team getting mo works out a long term deal, and then he signs the tender to get his deal

So you are agreeing with my reply to joewilly12?

Basically, the Jets can't be waiting around for Mo when FA opens. They need to clear space and sign some players with risky character(Galette, McClain)

or coming off injuries(OT Beachum, RB Foster) to get some flexibility in the Draft

"....if the team getting mo works out a long term deal, and then he signs the tender to get his deal"

Don't Jets need to give permission for this to happen?

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Basically, the Jets can't be waiting around for Mo when FA opens. They need to clear space and sign some players with risky character(Galette, McClain)

or coming off injuries(OT Beachum, RB Foster) to get some flexibility in the Draft

"....if the team getting mo works out a long term deal, and then he signs the tender to get his deal"

of course, they would work out compensation for trading mo, then hope mo can do a deal with the other team

they have no choice but to wait because I doubt a team will trade for mo until they can see what they can get in the FA market and then the draft since so many good d-lineman are available

there is a 99% chance they have to wait until june/july to trade mo, and even then I don't see it happening

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I never said to sign those players I said sign quality free agents who can help us win a Super Bowl how do other teams free up so much cap space and retain multiple superstar players on the rosters.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I never said to sign those players I said sign quality free agents who can help us win a Super Bowl how do other teams free up so much cap space and retain multiple superstar players on the rosters.

They hit on their draft picks which the Jets haven't(Idzik) or they get rid of aging players before they lose their trade value(Tannenbaum) 

JW12 we don't have a lot of cap space unless:

1) Mo signs a new deal or gets traded (won't happen for awhile

2) Brick takes less money before deadline or is cut

WE can't sign premier FA so you sign players coming off injuries or with character issues who might play up to their talent.

We need to sign some players before the draft and the players you want we probably can't sign.

46 minutes ago, Larz said:

I like the overall objective a lot, but if you look at bricks contract, there is no way they outright cut him this year, but its very likely he will be cut after next season, then possibly brought back with a cheaper deal

All that changes once the restructure of Brick's contract is completed. Brick is going nowhere this season. Likely cut for 2017 depending on the structure of the revised contract.

48 minutes ago, Larz said:

Designate Brick as a "Post June 1 cut" and his Dead money is $3.7 and Cap savings of $10.4

So Brick stands to lose a LOT! of money if he doesn't re-work his deal.

I drop him and use money on Shwartz or Beachum as mid-level $

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Isn't Junior Galette a delinquent?

Also, I could see them drafting an inside backer before signing one in free agency. Henderson will be back. 

Henderson is a relaible LB he isn't a superstar LB we need a superstar LB who can rush the edge with good cover skills 

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Isn't Junior Galette a delinquent?

Also, I could see them drafting an inside backer before signing one in free agency. Henderson will be back. 

Galette has had multiple run-ins with the law, including a domestic violence charge in early 2015 when he allegedly attacked a dancer who demanded cab money from him. However, all criminal and civil charges related to the incident were eventually dropped.[17] In 2013 he is alleged to have struck a woman with a belt during a beach brawl on Miami Beach that was caught on video and posted on YouTube but charges were never filed.[18]

12 sacks in 2013, 10 saks in 2014, injured 2015 missed season.

28 yrs. old.

Might be worth a look.

Its not often is a pass rusher in his prime released after back-to-back productive seasons. Even more rare is the release of a top player less than a year after he received a four-year, $41.5 million contract.

Yet, in the case of Junior Galette, a falling out with the New Orleans Saints was in the cards after a tumultuous 2014 was followed by a domestic violence allegation in January. So much so that the Saints spent the last six months discussing a possible trade or an outright release.

Saints head coach Sean Payton informed Galette of his impending release on Friday, and the pass rusher has been less than cordial since. What started with Galette telling the Times-Picayune that the Saints made "the worst call they've ever made" devolved into an explosive Twitter rant.

In the series of tweets posted on his girlfriend's account, Galette accused Payton of showing up drunk to team meetings, said he doubts the Saints win more than six games this season and had plenty of insults to go around.

Domestic violence investigation ongoing

Galette was arrested for simple battery with domestic violence, but he maintained he was the victim, saying he and a cousin forcibly removed a woman from his house.

Charges were dropped in February, although a lawsuit for abuse was filed. That incident has not yet been resolved due to a lack of cooperation from the plaintiff.

Still, that wasn't the only allegation. A video surfaced in June of a melee at a beach, showing a man striking a woman with a belt.

Galette's lawyer claimed the man wasn't his client, but photos from the player's Instagram seem to indicate otherwise. League investigations are ongoing, and while it seems unlikely that Galette will face legal punishment, that hasn't stopped the NFL from levying discipline in the past.

Trouble even before that?

Teammates voted Galette a 2014 captain. However, the Times-Picayune reported multiple brawls broke out during the season among the defensive lineman, going beyond the typical scuffles between teammates.

The fights were more than simple pushing and shoving matches, the sources said. They were all-out brawls the likes of which some in the locker room had never seen.

Team chemistry was non-existent.

Galette was reportedly involved in a fistfight with teammate Brandon Deaderick before a preseason game and didn't do much to help a team culture that was turning to discord.

One former teammate said the turning point was the contract.

A former Saints teammate told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune of Galette: 'He stayed focused long enough to get paid, then the real Junior came out. Sad.'

The transformation from hard worker who earned a spot as an undrafted free agent into a locker room cancer is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story. Celebrations of Galette's release from former teammates, including Jonathan Vilma, would indicate that he wasn't universally loved before last season, though.

What now for the Saints?

Losing one of your best defensive players isn't good. Especially when only one team allowed more yardage than you in 2014.

But if any team could use the cap space, it's the Saints. Cutting ties frees up a little, although it's indicative of the trend that got the Saints in trouble in the first place.

The Saints will have a $12.1 million dead-money charge for Galette, making him the third-highest paid player on a team he isn't even playing for. Grantland broke down the problematic trend for the Saints, who are paying large amounts to departed players likeJimmy Graham, Ben Grubbs and Curtis Lofton.

But for the immediate future, the Saints have to replace a player who racked up 22 sacks in his two seasons as a starter.

Cameron Jordan had 20 sacks over the same span and will be asked to anchor the line, but pass rushing ability will be hard to come by.

The Saints signed Anthony Spencer, a veteran who once earned a Pro Bowl bid with 11 sacks in a season for the Dallas Cowboys. However, he has recorded half of a sack in the last two seasons and suffered a torn ACL in 2013.

The better hope falls on the shoulders of Hau'oli Kikaha and Davis Tull, the team's second- and fifth-round picks, respectively. Pass rushers take time to develop, and expecting double-digit sack production from either rookie is a lot to ask.

What's next for Galette?

Discipline could be on the way, and his Twitter rant wasn't the best career move, but he's still a 27-year-old pass rusher who is very good at bringing down quarterbacks.

During his rant, Galette told a user doubting the restart of his career to "see #GregHardy." While modeling your career after the actions of Hardy isn't the best way to go, there is some truth. The NFL is quick to forgive a player who can be as valuable as a top-flight pass rusher.

There's a chance a newly motivated Galette could be at his best in a new setting. What he shouldn't expect is another $40 million contract anytime soon.

It's doubtful that any team is going to want to hitch its trailer to a player so dangerous to team chemistry. Short-term, prove-it contracts are what Galette should expect to see.

★★★

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

FA begins in 4 days(3/9) Teams must be under cap by then.

As we stand now Jets $6.6m under cap with Mo tag and Cro cut.

Wilkerson will drag out contract to gain leverage so put him on back burner

Cut Breno/ Cumberland = $6.3 mil cap savings

Re-work Brick contract ($4 m savings) or cut after FA Left Tackle signed.

Sign Fitz 2 yr.$18m ($5m cap charge)

FA signings(Guys who could be had at a fair price) Take your pick for mult. player options

Sign OT Kelvin Beachum (coming off ACL tear should be ready by camp)/ Mitchell Shwartz

ILB Jerrell Freeman (good coverage man) / Rolando McClain (Very good talent/ has had some off field issues)

OLB Junior Galette (Good on field production but injured last yr)/ Marc Barron (smooth transition from S to OLB)

TE Zack Miller/ Ben Watson

Thoughts or Critiques?

Is this TE Zack Miller/ the Zack Miller from Chicago or Seattle?  If its the Miller from Chicago I wouldn't mind bringing him in for cheap, he really flashed last year when Bennett went down for a couple games.  If its Miller from Seattle, I would pass and look for better alternatives like Green or Dwayne Allen.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Designate Brick as a "Post June 1 cut" and his Dead money is $3.7 and Cap savings of $10.4

So Brick stands to lose a LOT! of money if he doesn't re-work his deal.

I drop him and use money on Shwartz or Beachum as mid-level $

the jets haven't carried over $2.5 million in dead money "overall" in the past few years, they aren't going to go to $3.7 on 1 player.

brick is not going anywhere this year

6 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Is this TE Zack Miller/ the Zack Miller from Chicago or Seattle?  If its the Miller from Chicago I wouldn't mind bringing him in for cheap, he really flashed last year when Bennett went down for a couple games.  If its Miller from Seattle, I would pass and look for better alternatives like Green or Dwayne Allen.

Chicago.

Upgrade the D all over the field through draft and free agency and just tweak the O a bit and allocate less money there.

i am sick and tired of the defense being on the cusp of being great and just ending up a hair below average. 

Attack the defense and let the chips fall where they may.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

the jets haven't carried over $2.5 million in dead money "overall" in the past few years, they aren't going to go to $3.7 on 1 player.

brick is not going anywhere this year

Lars.... Go to Over-the-Cap.com and you'll see close to 20 teams carrying more dead money than what Brick would cost us while giving us an additional $7m to play with in FA.

1 example are the Panthers, but you'll also see Bills(Mario) Dolpphins, Giants, Pats etc. carrying more than that.\

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers/

You do what you have to do to make the team better.

Hopefully Brick takes less in a new deal, then it's all moot.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Our Special Teams were our biggest weakness last year.  In addition to replacing the ST Coach, improving the bottom of the roster is exactly what we need to do

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Lars.... Go to Over-the-Cap.com and you'll see close to 20 teams carrying more dead money than what Brick would cost us while giving us an additional $7m to play with in FA.

1 example are the Panthers, but you'll also see Bills(Mario) Dolpphins, Giants, Pats etc. carrying more than that.\

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers/

You do what you have to do to make the team better.

Hopefully Brick takes less in a new deal, then it's all moot.

I have been going to jasons site for years, that's how I know how much dead money they carried last year. 

cutting brick isn't happening this year based on the numbers I already posted. 

not even worth discussing tbh

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

some people are going to go "stoic" the first day of FA when the jets don't sign a single big name player

the spree was last year, the bill is due and the jets are small time players this year

Maybe they should just hold walk on tryouts at Florham Park if our $$$$ situation is that bad. 

Didn't we sign that big time pass rusher Bishop from the CFL. 

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Maybe they should just hold walk on tryouts at Florham Park if our $$$$ situation is that bad. 

Didn't we sign that big time pass rusher Bishop from the CFL. 

keep the knives locked up next week joe

1 hour ago, Larz said:

keep the knives locked up next week joe

We should have about $12-14m to do some shopping next week. Breno and Cumberland + $6.6m we already have= $13m

That should be enough to get us started. If we can grab a quality LT, Brick could be sent packing for another $7m in savings this yr.

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

We should have about $12-14m to do some shopping next week. Breno and Cumberland + $6.6m we already have= $13m

That should be enough to get us started. If we can grab a quality LT, Brick could be sent packing for another $7m in savings this yr.

I would rather keep brick this year and save 13 million next year, but that's just me

Archived