Report: Jets Have “little or no faith” in Geno Smith

JetNation

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's shocking to me that anyone still has faith in geno smith. 

C'mon Bit, Bowles said he might consider possibly playing him if Fitz doesn't come back to claim the job that's already been handed to him instead of Geno.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On March 29, 2016 at 10:06 AM, AFJF said:

Bowles benched a healthy Geno for 14 consecutive weeks.  

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

How many legit NFL starting QBs lose their job because their backup goes a whopping 2-0, with one of those wins being against the Browns? It's not like they were 9-1 and making a run at home field advantage.

They were 2-0 and Fitz had two consecutive so-so performances against the Colts and Eagles.  If all it takes to get Geno benched, they didn't think much of him.

Also, why no QB competition next year?  Why did Bowles already say Fitz is his number one and Petty will be  given an opportunity to win the number to job, possibly leaving Smith at the number three? 

Gailey had three years experience with Fitz, zero with Geno. Bowles had no experience with either QB. He trusted Gailey to make the call.

Also, Bowles said Petty could be the #2 backup not #2 QB, if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Why would Bowles change QBs at that point?  Geno didn't get benched, he was injured and since the team was still playing fairly well, and the players responded well to Fitz, why would he make a change??  Most teams don't bench their Qb even if he has a few  "so - so" games, as long as they are winning.  If Fitz had 2 or 3 horrible games in a row, that would be a different story.  Also, the fact that Bowles said Fitz was his starter next year, I mean what did you expect him to say?  The guy just had the best season, statistically in Jets history.  It is amusing because on the one hand I am being told that Bowles statement about Geno is just gamesmanship to put pressure Fitz to sign but yet then I have to take as gospel truth that he statement about Fitz being his starter means there is NO WAY he could lose his job, even if he is vastly outplayed.   I mean just LAST WEEK he said he was comfortable with Geno as a fall back option; how is that not more relevant than what he said 6 months ago??? 

We can agree to disagree; it's okay but please don't cherry pick statements and or situations that fit your line of thinking and ignore others that don't.  

Because according to the Geno fans, he he's the better player and it's only week 3. Why not make the change?  Was Fitz that great in weeks 1 and 2?

Again, list all of the starting NFL QBs who would be benched for the remainder of the season simply because the team was 2-0 with one of the two being arguably the worst team in the NFL. 

I don't have to cherry pick statements.  My focus is on the single most important statement which was the naming of Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB if he returns....which at this point, I hope he doesn't, because then they might be forced to make a deal for  something better.

when was the last time you heard any NFL coach come out in March and say "we need a different QB, because I wouldn't feel comfortable with the one I have now"

Bill Parcells once said he loved the Jets depth at RB and referred to them as an impressive stable of backs....he traded Adrian Murrell ten minutes later.  

21 hours ago, AFJF said:

Because according to the Geno fans, he he's the better player and it's only week 3. Why not make the change?  Was Fitz that great in weeks 1 and 2?

Again, list all of the starting NFL QBs who would be benched for the remainder of the season simply because the team was 2-0 with one of the two being arguably the worst team in the NFL. 

I don't have to cherry pick statements.  My focus is on the single most important statement which was the naming of Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB if he returns....which at this point, I hope he doesn't, because then they might be forced to make a deal for  something better.

when was the last time you heard any NFL coach come out in March and say "we need a different QB, because I wouldn't feel comfortable with the one I have now"

Bill Parcells once said he loved the Jets depth at RB and referred to them as an impressive stable of backs....he traded Adrian Murrell ten minutes later.  

Like I said, cherry pick statements.  LAST WEEK He said, Geno was an option if Fitz doesn't return and that he would be comfortable with that. He also said he was impressed how Geno handled the season and circumstances last year.  HE SAID THAT LAST WEEK; NOT 4 or 5 months ago.  Why that has no relevance to you is beyond me. Okay, I done here. 

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's shocking to me that anyone still has faith in geno smith. 

Whats more shocking is if Fitzpatrick is the answer as many say he is why haven't the Jets signed him to a long term deal why haven't 31 other NFL teams signed him. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Whats more shocking is if Fitzpatrick is the answer as many say he is why haven't the Jets signed him to a long term deal why haven't 31 other NFL teams signed him. 

Geno being terrible has nothing to do with Fitz' contract. These two things have literally nothing to do with one another. I could ask if Geno is a starter why don't all the teams needing a QB try to trade for him? 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Geno being terrible has nothing to do with Fitz' contract. These two things have literally nothing to do with one another. I could ask if Geno is a starter why don't all the teams needing a QB try to trade for him? 

Have the Jets made him available for a trade?  if so provide us with a link.   Fitzpatrick is a free agent anyone can sign him 32 NFL teams and no one is. Says a lot. 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ding, Ding Ding, we have a winner.

You would think Geno at least would have started the game fitz could barely use one hand, but that's how much Bowles thinks of him.  Actions speak louder then words.

5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Ding, Ding Ding, we have a winner.

You would think Geno at least would have started the game fitz could barely use one hand, but that's how much Bowles thinks of him.  Actions speak louder then words.

Bowles has won what here?  The Snoopy Bowl

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Almost no one has ever said that Fitzpatrick is 'the answer' almost exclusively  people have said, he's the best option we have right now based on last years play until we get a real future QB.  The same people also say if he wants too much money we move on.

If the Jets really liked Geno Smith then all of this drama about Fitz who we all admit is limited, guys like Hoyer, glennon, mccown etc would all be non factors because Geno would be thought of as a better than them and a logical starter.  At this point Geno should be looked at as a starter as a 3 year guy with sig playing time in the past but he is not.

I still think he will not be on the team come training camp.  If he is I hope he does well with us, magic 8 ball points to him not being favoured here.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Almost no one has ever said that Fitzpatrick is 'the answer' almost exclusively  people have said, he's the best option we have right now based on last years play until we get a real future QB.  The same people also say if he wants too much money we move on.

If the Jets really liked Geno Smith then all of this drama about Fitz who we all admit is limited, guys like Hoyer, glennon, mccown etc would all be non factors because Geno would be thought of as a better than them and a logical starter.  At this point Geno should be looked at as a starter as a 3 year guy with sig playing time in the past but he is not.

I still think he will not be on the team come training camp.  If he is I hope he does well with us, magic 8 ball points to him not being favoured here.

Best option for what?   Anyone can play QB and just show up when will this organization finally get it and do whatever needs to be done to get a franchise QB here.

I dont care if they trade the entire damn draft for a top 5 pick so they can draft a real deal QB enough with the impostors year after year. 

37 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

That just shows how Terrible geno is... The guy chosen to play ahead of him can't even get a whiff from another team.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Didn't Bowles name Geno the starter before the locker room altercation. 

You mean before ANY games including preseason games were played???  Didn't Bowles choose to keep Fitz as the starter the rest of the season even after some poorly played games?

2 minutes ago, jetsons said:

You mean before ANY games including preseason games were played???  

Yes if i remember correctly Fitzpatrick was injured and brought in to be Geno's backup Bowles named Geno the starter. 

FACT

The end is not near for Smith, the former second round pick who is set to enter his third year in the league after two lackluster years of multiple benchings, 34 career interceptions and one missed team meeting in San Diego. On Wednesday afternoon following just the second session of Organized Team Activities (OTAs), offensive coordinator Chan Gailey dropped the bomb that Smith will enter the season as the team's starting quarterback, this with more than two months left before training camp.

How could Gailey say that just two days into OTAs? It's simple really – because there is no quarterback competition apparently.

“Right now, Geno's the starter. To me [head] coach [Todd] Bowles has said, I say it, I think everybody's said it – that's the way it sits and that's the way we expect it to be,” Gailey said on Wednesday. “Unless something happens that you get an injury or something like that that you don't foresee, that's how we anticipate it going.”

When asked why at this point in preseason the decision could be made, Gailey simply said “Why not? Because Geno is the starter.”

It is a surprising bit of news and one that completely blindsided the media as well as the Jets fanbase. This offseason, the Jets had brought on board Ryan Fitzpatrick from the Houston Texans, a quarterback who started for Gailey several years ago when he was head coach of the Buffalo Bills. He isn't spectacular but he has a solid enough resume and enough experience. It was expected that Smith would at least compete with Fitzpatrick but there are no plans for a true competition.

That Gailey would concede the starting quarterback job to Smith so early is puzzling, but what is equally a head scratcher is that Fitzpatrick still isn't fully healthy after a season-ending knee injury last year that has limited him during offseason workouts and yet this decision is being made without a true comparison.

On Wednesday Smith was underwhelming. His ball placement was spotty and he continues to show an elongated throwing motion. Fitzpatrick wasn't much better and doesn't have the arm strength of Smith but he at least has some consistency at the NFL level and has increased his completion percentage each of the last three seasons.

That Smith, who has struggled with turnovers during his first two years in the league, is already the presumptive starter could be a devastating decision for this organization. Given the veteran moves made during free agency, the Jets might be a rebuilding team but they aren't a young team years away from the postseason.

With consistent quarterback play, they could be a playoff contender sooner rather than later. All of which makes Gailey's pronouncement of no competition all the more of a difficult move to fathom at this juncture.

“He's done enough good quality things. He's been here, he's done enough quality things that he deserves to be the guy,” Gailey said. “Just like anybody else in the NFL, if you don't play well over a period of time, you could [be benched]. Not in preseason, not in practices.”

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Yes if i remember correctly Fitzpatrick was injured and brought in to be Geno's backup Bowles named Geno the starter. 

Being NAMED the starter & actually BEING the starter are 2 Very distinct things... I'd rather actually BE the starter.

2 minutes ago, jetsons said:

You mean before ANY games including preseason games were played???  

Yes he did and there were those who projected that he would lose that job by the time the season started or shortly there after.  They may have been correct.  The problem is he got hurt so we will never know.   Now with a full season observing from the sidelines, he is a cheap alternative in case Fitz does not return and Petty is not ready.  

Coaches are not going to bad mouth current players on their roster for fear of alienating other players & the possibility of diminishing any trade potential... also that would not sit well with any possible free agents... players prefer loyalty.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

STOP ignoring the FACTS I'm providing you or STOP responding you are wasting my time. 

By "facts" you mean words???  Words are NOT "facts".... This is evident in your statement, geno was "named" the starter but he did not become the starter.

4 minutes ago, jetsons said:

By "facts" you mean words???  Words are NOT "facts".... This is evident in your statement, geno was "named" the starter but he did not become the starter.

He was named the starter by the head coach Todd Bowles not on this forum by me or anyone else. FACT 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He was named the starter by the head coach Todd Bowles not on this forum by me or anyone else. FACT 

"Again" being "named" the starter does NOT make you the starter... Question, who was the "starting" QB of the NYJ last season???... When you answer that, then this redundancy can end.

Just now, jetsons said:

"Again" being "named" the starter does NOT make you the starter... Question, who was the "starting" QB of the NYJ last season???... When you answer that, then this redundancy can end.

So anything Todd Bowles says from here until opening day should be ignored.   

Why haven't 32 NFL teams signed Ryan Fitzpatrick????????  

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

So anything Todd Bowles says from here until opening day should be ignored.   

Why haven't 32 NFL teams signed Ryan Fitzpatrick????????  

Again, that just shows how Terrible geno is, he can't even beat out someone nobody cares about.

15 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Again, that just shows how Terrible geno is, he can't even beat out someone nobody cares about.

Yes your right Geno is terrible blah blah blah Geno had Clyde Gates David Nelson and MM as the OC and still managed to go 8-8 Fitzpatrick had the 2 best WRs in the NFL and couldn't even BEAT THE BILLS to get us in the playoffs blah blah Geno is terrible

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes your right Geno is terrible blah blah blah Geno had Clyde Gates David Nelson and MM as the OC and still managed to go 8-8 Fitzpatrick had the 2 best WRs in the NFL and couldn't even BEAT THE BILLS to get us in the playoffs blah blah Geno is terrible

Joe, you just don't get it man.  I applaud your tenacity, but it's not about making the playoffs.  It's about having somewhat respectable performances.  Also making sure the media doesn't write comical articles about us. 

Playoffs?  Who needs that BS?  More cold games?  Eh, we'll pass.  Play decently during the regular season but make sure to never make the playoffs.  

And who is, hands down, the best option at QB for that?  That's right... Fitz.  Let's lock him up for 3+ years.  Plus pay him a ton so we don't bring in other players who could ruin our plan by potentially getting us in the playoffs.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Joe, you just don't get it man.  I applaud your tenacity, but it's not about making the playoffs.  It's about having somewhat respectable performances.  Also making sure the media doesn't write comical articles about us. 

Playoffs?  Who needs that BS?  More cold games?  Eh, we'll pass.  Play decently during the regular season but make sure to never make the playoffs.  

And who is, hands down, the best option at QB for that?  That's right... Fitz.  Let's lock him up for 3+ years.  Plus pay him a ton so we don't bring in other players who could ruin our plan by potentially getting us in the playoffs.

I truly hope you are kidding!!!!!!!! :D    

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Better question is how about Fitzpatrick coming off a career year he could be the starter on any team in the NFL yet no one is signing him,why? 

because teams would rather develop younger qbs with higher ceilings.  the jets are no different, except they don't have anyone like that right now.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

because teams would rather develop younger qbs with higher ceilings.  the jets are no different, except they don't have anyone like that right now.  

I think Petty will do exceptionally well & surprise many.

Archived