some History.. Dewayne Robertson & the 2003 draft ~ ~ ~

kelly

57 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It might help to stop trying to tout yourself as a draft expert, 

I have never in the history of my life, called myself a draft expert. Others may have said that but it wasn't me. 

When we (R44) and I started the site, it was as fans of the draft. It remains as such. 

Robertson wasn't bad the 1 year he had help in the 4-3 alignment, which was 2004 when Jason Ferguson was the nose tackle, occupying 2 blockers.  Robertson was decent that year and Hobson played ok too.

However, when the onus was on Robertson to make plays without others occupying blockers, he failed.

Letting Ferguson walk after 2004 and having no replacement really hurt the defense in 2005.

I remember watching some preseason game in the middle of the night (think it was in Japan) to see DRob play for the first time, he looked promising and generated some hope, plus he helped Mangini beat the pats* great game, Jets have had worse picks

Name one other player the Jets drafted by giving up two 1st round draft picks who was worse than DFat.

to give this thread a little context, another DT was taken high in the 2003 draft via trade up. His name is Jonathan Sullivan. The Saints traded 17 and 18 picks in rd 1 to get this player. And he was a terrible pick. But this pick didn't cripple the franchise, the way Drob haters talk about his pick. The Saints found a FQB 2 years later and won the SB in 2009.

There was a 3rd DT in that draft, his name is Jimmy Kennedy, taken 12th overall by the Rams. He didn't even start in STL and was a journeyman. He eventually got a ring as a backup on the Giants team that ended the Pats SB season. 

Swinging and missing on a pick isn't the end of the world. Not if you can find a QB. The Patriots have made terrible draft decisions over the years, Tom Brady makes it all go away. Jimmy Kennedy can win a ring if Eli plays his ass off.

Only in the Jets bubble do fans look toward a DT to save the franchise, and blame him when he doesn't. And by the way Ed Reed doesn't save this franchise either for all those Bryan Thomas haters out there. 

If you don't have a QB it doesn't matter. 

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

to give this thread a little context, another DT was taken high in the 2003 draft via trade up. His name is Jonathan Sullivan. The Saints traded 17 and 18 picks in rd 1 to get this player. And he was a terrible pick. But this pick didn't cripple the franchise, the way Drob haters talk about his pick. The Saints found a FQB 2 years later and won the SB in 2009.

There was a 3rd DT in that draft, his name is Jimmy Kennedy, taken 12th overall by the Rams. He didn't even start in STL and was a journeyman. He eventually got a ring as a backup on the Giants team that ended the Pats SB season. 

Swinging and missing on a pick isn't the end of the world. Not if you can find a QB. The Patriots have made terrible draft decisions over the years, Tom Brady makes it all go away. Jimmy Kennedy can win a ring if Eli plays his ass off.

Only in the Jets bubble do fans look toward a DT to save the franchise, and blame him when he doesn't. And by the way Ed Reed doesn't save this franchise either for all those Bryan Thomas haters out there. 

If you don't have a QB it doesn't matter. 

The Robertson pick didn't cripple our franchise either and in 2004 he was one of the best DTs(unfortunately his good play only lasted that one year) in the league but he was damaged goods and then we switched coaches and systems.

People act like that trade set the franchise back 15 years, in 2004 we were a missed makeable kick(one of two) from the AFC Championship Game.

what set us back was our franchise QB who we just re-signed to big money in 2004 having a career altering injury to his throwing shoulder and never being able to stay healthy.

That was a rough draft, but I remember the hype being so high on him, tireless motor, just mauls people, etc.  Back in those days (high school days) I used to just follow the draft via mainstream ESPN (not that there may have been good alternatives at the time) so I ended up buying into all the media "analysis" of each pick, with their comps and praises.  The guy I really loved in that draft were Grossman, because I saw a bunch of Florida games on national TV and thought he was going to be really good.  Ofcourse, no information whatsoever on systems and physical talent to differentiate the guys.   

Archived