Checkdown to Touch down

Tinstar

During the season of the "Path to the draft", we get to learn certain truth and certain sayings . One of those sayings is the famous "Touch down to check down" that former NFL Headcoach  Steve Mariucci employs when he sits down with prospective high ranking college QBs leading up to the draft . Well, I took that saying, turned it around and will use it to try and vindicate where the Jets are in their QB quandary .

Heading into the 2015 season, the Jets had a QB rotation that included 2 players. Those 2 players were 3rd yr  starter Geno Smith and 4th round draft pick Bryce Petty .  Smith was coming off a yet another sub-par season and Petty was starting his 1st training camp having just been drafted from a college spread offense that didn't translate to the NFL game . To that end, the Jets signed Veteran QB Ryan Fitzpatrick who was coming back from an injury the previous season in Houston .  The plan was for the Journeyman to assist in the continued  development of Smith and be an insurance policy in case Smith continued to struggle at the position .  Things appear to go going according to plan as reports coming from camp portrayed evidence of an Improving Smith  while a healing Fitzpatrick was pushing him for the starting QB position . Then , just before the 1st preseason game, Smith got hurt in a locker-room squabble with a defensive teammate causing him to miss several weeks and gave control of the team to the Veteran Fitzpatrick.

One would tend to believe that this was the end for Smith, but here is where the story really begins .  In a perfect football world, a young QB sits behind a veteran QB, learns the NFL game and observes how the veteran deals with certain situations  when they come about . .  Smith had no such education starting his NFL career, and made mistake after mistake as he navigated the world of NFL defenses  and more importantly, the new York media and it's ravenous fans.  With Fitzpatrick now in control of the team, and Smith healed enough to suit up on game day, the Jets found themselves  in a fortunate situation even if created by misfortune. 

There's a lesson here folks if you care to take a moment and think about it .

Fitzpatrick goes out and has a career yr where he throws for a Jet record in TDs and leads a Jet team who had won 4 games the previous yr to a 10 win season where they miss the playoffs only by losing the last game of the season . Meanwhile, according to the Teams GM and it's HC, the former starting QB is maturing as a teammate and a player learning on the sidelines what it takes to be a leader and more importantly what it really means when the coaches say to take care of the football and avoid turnovers . The season ends, and the team is forced to decide what to do at the QB position with the now established Veteran Fitzpatrick as the leader of the offense and unsigned . The team also knows that Fitzpatrick is not it's future and that it will be drafting a QB in the upcoming draft .  A plan begins to emerge when contract negotiations between Fitzpatrick and the team can't be worked out . 

Why was Fitzpatrick signed originally, and what was the outcome ?

This is sorely my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.  With Free agency over and no apparent suitors other than the Jets for the Veteran Fitzpatrick, the coaching decides to roll the dice and head into training camp with a QB rotation of  the now 4th yr veteran Smith, 2nd year developmental QB Petty and Rookie Christian Hackenberg whom the team has spent a 2nd round pick to acquire . The hope here is that the 4th year starter has matured enough to take over the team while the 2nd yr prospect(Petty) has developed enough to be instructed  with the backup position while giving the team the chance to red shirt Hackenberg .

Coach Mariucci called his play Touch down to Check down meaning that the 1st option was the Score but if it wasn't there, u check down to the safe play.  For the Jets, I call this play Check down to Touch Down  meaning that you went with the safe play because it was what was there and now you take a shot at the score  when there's nothing to loose .  Should Smith display that he has used his time behind the Veteran wisely, you now will have a QB who is ready to take the mistakes of the 1st few yr and the lessons hopefully learned from watching the veteran Fitzpatrick, to propel himself into a viable option at QB  for the future or an asset than can be used to acquire a future asset. 

What the Jets find themselves with is a situation where they can develop 3 young QBs with not having to share the reps with the Veteran who is not a part of the team's future while knowing the Possible exist that if the team doesn't like what it sees, there can always fall back to Fitzpatrick .

Check down to Touch Down is the play .

The QB for this play is the Jets front office and coaching staff .

The other advantage to having Geno play is that he will be a FA after next yr. If he proves to be at the very least "viable' at the position, it might get us a comp pick.

I'd guess 5th rd. or 6th. If he "Ball's Out" slap a Tag on him & trade, unless the Mac/MO carousel continues into 2017. 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I can't wrap my head around a world where Geno Smith is the "safe play." 

If Geno Smith starts the safe play is to stop watching the Jets. 

I may have left that to your imagination even thou I can't see how, but in my little story, Ryan Fitzpatrick was always the "safe play" . He's the safe play this year and he was last yr when the Jets signed him. When you go for the score, you don't do it with a limited Veteran who's playing out the string . 

The TD in this story would imply Franchise QB 

The check down would imply hold the fort vet .

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I dont agree with hold the fort guys especially at the QB position play the rookies if you have to only way to see if they are NFL calibre QBs other teams do it. 

9 guys jump off a bridge and all drowned . You find yourself unfortunately on that same bridge and just when your about to jump, someone tells you the story of the 9 . Do u still jump ?

Just now, Tinstar said:

9 guys jump off a bridge and all drowned . You find yourself unfortunately on that same bridge and just when your about to jump, someone tells you the story of the 9 . Do u still jump ?

Im not a follower I'm a leader 

Nice analogy OP.  It seems some people are so caught up in making their next hate Geno post that their reading comprehension fails them.  Others who want to start the rookie rather that go for the touchdown don't seem to grasp the concept that Geno might still hold some value to this team.  They are all entitled to their opinion of course.  As for me, we're in the same camp.

Starting Geno seems like the best way forward for this team at this point.  If he improves, cool we have an asset.  He fails, ok, then it's time to test the backup or the rookie.  This offense has enough weapons for any of them to succeed, but give the #2 and #3 as much time to develop as possible before testing them.    

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not a follower I'm a leader 

And yet you say you believe in starting rookie QBs because other teams have done it.  A leader assesses the situation and formulates a plan of attack . Geno Smith was not ready to start any NFL Game 3 yrs ago yet was forced too and is a victim of the results. Bryce Petty wasn't ready to start any NFL game last yr and someone with leadership ability knew that and did the proper thing. Hackenberg isn't ready to start any NFL game today, and the Jets know it.

Just now, Tinstar said:

And yet you say you believe in starting rookie QBs because other teams have done it.  A leader assesses the situation and formulates a plan of attack . Geno Smith was not ready to start any NFL Game 3 yrs ago yet was forced too and is a victim of the results. Bryce Petty wasn't ready to start any NFL game last yr and someone with leadership ability knew that and did the proper thing. Hackenberg isn't ready to start any NFL game today, and the Jets know it.

I am a leader I didnt say those guys were. 

So lets sign and overpay a 34 year old journeyman QB. 

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

So you would have been the first guy to jump off and drown?

Nope I wouldn't even have been on that bridge. 

Hey why did you IGNORE my comments on the RB situation Blount is 30 and the Patriots resigned him. 

Selective trolling thats you. 

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Nice analogy OP.  It seems some people are so caught up in making their next hate Geno post that their reading comprehension fails them.  Others who want to start the rookie rather that go for the touchdown don't seem to grasp the concept that Geno might still hold some value to this team.  They are all entitled to their opinion of course.  As for me, we're in the same camp.

Starting Geno seems like the best way forward for this team at this point.  If he improves, cool we have an asset.  He fails, ok, then it's time to test the backup or the rookie.  This offense has enough weapons for any of them to succeed, but give the #2 and #3 as much time to develop as possible before testing them.    

Thank you

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I am a leader I didnt say those guys were. 

So lets sign and overpay a 34 year old journeyman QB. 

Where did I say that ?

What would you have this organization do if they went through the OTAs and the early training camp and came to a realization that none of the QBs on the roster presently were worthy of leading the team they assembled  ?

Show me how much of a leader you are and make the hard decision ?

Hey why did you IGNORE my comments on the RB situation Blount is 30 and the Patriots resigned him. 

Blount is nothing but a short-yardage RB.

Pats signed him on the cheap.

Blount is nothing but a short-yardage RB.

Pats signed him on the cheap.

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Where did I say that ?

What would you have this organization do if they went through the OTAs and the early training camp and came to a realization that none of the QBs on the roster presently were worthy of leading the team they assembled  ?

Show me how much of a leader you are and make the hard decision ?

I would seek a trade bringing in a "franchise QB" that would solve this organizations problems for years to come. 

Yes I would trade next years #1 

Wouldn't you give up Lee for a franchise QB. 

Who is this franchise QB you're trading for ?

As far as I understand it, the Jets tried to trade  the pick they used on Lee, Wilkerson and something else to trade up to the #1 spot and it wasn't enough.

Would I trade next yr's 1st also, yes I would, but that is more than Lee.

The question was, what would you do with the scenario I outlined  ?

What's done is done, so lead .  

I gave you a proposal from where we are presently, so Lead .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Who is this franchise QB you're trading for ?

As far as I understand it, the Jets tried to trade  the pick they used on Lee, Wilkerson and something else to trade up to the #1 spot and it wasn't enough.

Would I trade next yr's 1st also, yes I would, but that is more than Lee.

The question was, what would you do with the scenario I outlined  ?

What's done is done, so lead .  

I gave you a proposal from where we are presently, so Lead .

i dont know I dont have access to the 31 NFL teams in the league to remotely know who might be available. 

If I were GM I would know this information and do whatever it took to bring a franchise QB here and not waste time with a 34 year old journeyman who has never made the playoffs.

I would seek a trade bringing in a "franchise QB" that would solve this organizations problems for years to come. 

Yes I would trade next years #1 

Wouldn't you give up Lee for a franchise QB. 

Which franchise QB is or was available via trade? The Rams gave up quite a bit more than just next year's #1 pick to grab a potential franchise QB in Goff.

Just curious

Just now, the Claw said:

Which franchise QB is or was available via trade? The Rams gave up quite a bit more than just next year's #1 pick to grab a potential franchise QB in Goff.

Just curious

I repeat I dont know at this point who is available for the right price anyone is available Macc needs to figure that out. 

If there was 1 id offer 2017 and 2018 1st round picks 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I repeat I dont know at this point who is available for the right price anyone is available Macc needs to figure that out. 

Are you by any chance related to anyone in NY Knick  management ?

What team would just trade a franchise qb for only two 1st round picks? Indianapolis?

12 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i know its not going to happen but.....

what happens if geno smith tears it up this year and gets the jets to the championship game???

does he get franchised??

wouldn't that be something to behold . I think Hackenberg is the future of this team but the Jets could find themselves with an awesome problem .

Archived