are jets & giants asking for Trouble with their Older Backs ? ? ?

kelly

Expecting a 1,000-yard season from a running back over the age of 30 seems a stretch. But the Jets and Giants may have a different view: The top two 31-year-old rushing seasons have been compiled by Jets and Giants

The Giants got to kick the tires on new fifth-round running back Paul Perkins at rookie minicamp this weekend. The question is whether Perkins can ease the workload of 31-year-old veteran Rashad Jennings, who is striving to be a workhorse back at an age when most peers have lost all their tread.

Jennings ran for a career-best 863 yards last season. But his 195 carries were also a career high. So despite being the 149th overall selection in last week’s NFL Draft, Perkins may be slated for a significant role. The Giants’ current backup, Andre Williams, has the second-fewest yards per carry in his first two seasons of any back since 1920 (minimum 300 rushes), according to Pro-Football-Reference.Expecting a 1,000-yard rushing season from Jennings seems a stretch. Only 12 backs his age have exceeded that mark since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. Of course, the Jets find themselves in the same position with Matt Forte, who will turn 31 in December, sitting atop their depth chart.

But you can’t blame fans of either team if they’re not overly concerned about these seemingly low odds. The top two 31-year-old rushing seasons and three of the top four have been compiled by Jets and Giants relatively recently. Curtis Martin’s 1,697 rushing yards led the NFL for the Jets in 2004. Two years later, the Giants’ Tiki Barber ran for 1,662. And in 2009, the ground-and-pound Jets rode Thomas Jones for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns. At least the Jets are backing up Forte with veteran Bilal Powell, who returned to the team via free agency. Perkins is viewed as more of a change-of-pace back given that he’s only 208 pounds. But Perkins did average nearly 19 carries a game the past two seasons at UCLA and has drawn scouting comparisons to Davonta Freeman, a 2014 fourth-round pick who raced for 1,056 yards and 11 touchdowns last year for the Atlanta Falcons.

OG-AH248_TAN050_G_20160509190618.jpg

>    http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-jets-and-giants-asking-for-trouble-with-their-older-backs-1462836629?tesla=y

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

The day of the 1,000 yard rushing season being the accomplishment bar for a running back are gone. More teams look at all purpose yards than they do rushing yards. Rotating running backs is the way of the future, or it's the present as we know it.

Rotating backs is not new we always had Snell-Boozer or Riggens-Boozer,Freeman-Hector etc  In the 60's the Browns drafted Ernie Davis to team up with Jim Brown,sadly he died from Leukemia before that could happen.. Anyone remember the Fins Bowl teams with Csonka,Kiick and Mercury Morris?? Just like some fans think the NFL is just now a passing league must have not been born when the AFL started in 1960..:rolleyes: 

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Laugh at this, Forte's been brought in because he's the number one recieving back in football.

Powell, Robinson, and maybe Beckham, if he can play, to carry the Rock.

Not last year he wasn't.. But in 2014 he was great..

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I'm glad we didn't draft a rb this year I think next years draftclass is going to be pretty solid

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I think this is exactly what they are thinking -- too many holes and too few early round picks to burn one on a RB in this draft.  Plus, next year's draft is anticipated to be extremely strong in the RB department, with several 1st round worthy guys.  I have no issues with the way we dealt with the RB positions.

19 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I'm glad we didn't draft a rb this year I think next years draftclass is going to be pretty solid

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

QFT I would be thrilled if leonard fournette ended up being a Jet. 

21 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Rotating backs is not new we always had Snell-Boozer or Riggens-Boozer,Freeman-Hector etc  In the 60's the Browns drafted Ernie Davis to team up with Jim Brown,sadly he died from Leukemia before that could happen.. Anyone remember the Fins Bowl teams with Csonka,Kiick and Mercury Morris?? Just like some fans think the NFL is just now a passing league must have not been born when the AFL started in 1960..:rolleyes: 

But that wasn\'t rotating backs - Csonka was the fullback and Morris was the halfback, Snell the fullback and Boozer the halfback. They were both in the backfield. I guess you're saying that it amounts basically to the same concept ...

Archived