Brandon Marshall defends Fitz, swipes back at Bart Scott

AFJF

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/05/jets_brandon_marshall_swipes_back_at_bart_scott_fo.html

NEW YORK — Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall on Tuesday defended his quarterback pal Ryan Fitzpatrick, after ex-Jets linebacker Bart Scott slammed Fitzpatrick in a radio interview

Among other things, Scott said Fitzpatrick doesn't "have a leg to stand on" in his contract standoff with the Jets. Even though Fitzpatrick thrived for the Jets last season, in his first season with the team, Scott believes "it's all downhill" for Fitzpatrick from here. And as for Fitzpatrick wanting one more big contract, at age 33, Scott said this: "You don't get to cash in twice, bro." 

Marshall's response, as told to NJ Advance Media: "Peyton [Manning] cashed in three or four times. Tom Brady cashed in three or four times. I disagree with Bart on that. You cash in as many times as you can, and when you get the opportunity."

Marshall wasn't comparing Fitzpatrick, a journeyman, to future Hall of Famers Manning and Brady. But his point remains: There's no rule that says a player can't strive to maximize his value, as he perceives it. Whether a team will pay up is a separate matter. Which is why Fitzpatrick remains a free agent

Marshall also disagrees with Scott about Fitzpatrick being "downhill" from here, after he had a career year in 2015, with 31 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. 

"The guy played well last year," Marshall said. "We're all downhill. As soon as we're born, we're downhill. I think everyone knows he played at a high level last year. That's not even a question." 

Marshall said he "absolutely" believes Fitzpatrick can continue to play at a high level in 2016, if he re-signs with the Jets. 

Marshall spoke Tuesday evening in Manhattan before being honored with the Champion Award at the Child Mind Institute's Change Maker Awards banquet.

The awards recognize people and organizations who create meaningful change for children struggling with mental health and learning disorders. The Child Mind Institute is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping children and families who struggle with mental health and learning disorders. 

Marshall, diagnosed five years ago with borderline personality disorder, leads a foundation, Project 375, that raises awareness and funding for mental health issues. He recently testified before a U.S. Senate committee about those issues.

Marshall said the youth-oriented aspect of the Child Mind Institute's work resonates with him. 

"Whenever you have the opportunity to do preventative work and intervene earlier, to give not only our kids, but our world a better chance," he said. "This thing [mental health issues] presents itself in so many different ways, and it hits both ends of the [age] spectrum. When it came down to it, we really believed that the children were the answer." 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall is right about Scott's comments regarding pay days.  Since when have NFL players been limited to "one pay day"?  Fitz, sadly, is doing what anyone else in his position would do and trying to get max money.

I have no doubt his agent is telling him to sit tight and hope for an injury to a starting QB w/o a proven back up so another bidder possibly gets in the mix.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Marshall is right about Scott's comments regarding pay days.  Since when have NFL players been limited to "one pay day"?  Fitz, sadly, is doing what anyone else in his position would do and trying to get max money.

I have no doubt his agent is telling him to sit tight and hope for an injury to a starting QB w/o a proven back up so another bidder possibly gets in the mix.

where did he "swipe back"?

he's right for good players, they can get multiple big deals but Fitz swindled Buffalo and he's not going to do that to another team.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

he's right for good players, they can get multiple big deals but Fitz swindled Buffalo and he's not going to do that to another team.

I was referring to the title of the article in the link I posted.  More specifically, the part where the title of the article said "swipes back"

9 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Imo the main point Marshall made is there's no reason to assume that Fitzpatrick takes a step back next season.  I agree.

If you were upset to see him win 10 games last season because you spent months telling everyone he'd never win more than six games then you would be hoping so hard for a flop next season that you'd be predicting it too.

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Have no problem with Fitzpatrick, or anyone else, trying to get as much money out of this league as they possibly can. Just think Fitz's apparent demands are completely unreasonable. If it's true that the Jets have gone as high as $9M for 2016, he and his agent should be jumping all over that. There's not another team in the league that's gonna come over that offer - whether they lose their starting QB to injury in training camp or not. 

And really, I hope the Jets aren't offering that much. And won't. 

Just now, slats said:

Have no problem with Fitzpatrick, or anyone else, trying to get as much money out of this league as they possibly can. Just think Fitz's apparent demands are completely unreasonable. If it's true that the Jets have gone as high as $9M for 2016, he and his agent should be jumping all over that. There's not another team in the league that's gonna come over that offer - whether they lose their starting QB to injury in training camp or not. 

And really, I hope the Jets aren't offering that much. And won't. 

Totally agree.  I think the waiting game is by design with his agent hoping somebody tears an ACL during OTA's. 

I'd be fine if they went as high as 10/11 million.  Beyond that, let the three other QB's fight it out in camp...may the best man win.

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Isn't that the worst?  When a scrub QB plays a few good games and gets a huge contract, only to end up a back-up jorneyman who lives off of the few good moments he had in the infancy of his career?  Man, I hate that.

Mark Sanchez.jpg

Imo the main point Marshall made is there's no reason to assume that Fitzpatrick takes a step back next season.  I agree.

The Jets will be playing a bunch of good defensive teams with winning records this year.

How has Fitz done (including his "great year" last season) against teams like that in his career?

32 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Yeah, I was disappointed. I was hoping for something better, with more meat on it. This was more of an, "I respectfully disagree, Bart."

Boooo. C'mon Brandon, go get him! Kill! Kill!

47 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Isn't that the worst?  When a scrub QB plays a few good games and gets a huge contract, only to end up a back-up jorneyman who lives off of the few good moments he had in the infancy of his career?  Man, I hate that.

Mark Sanchez.jpg

Another sadly awful comparison.

Sanchez spent his first two years in the NFL proving he can win playoff games by defeating HOF QBs on the road. He was paid for his potential.

Fitz? It's one thing to ask for more money. It's another thing to jerk a team around for months over money he doesn't deserve.

Would Fitz take Sanchez's current contract?

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

The Jets will be playing a bunch of good defensive teams with winning records this year.

How has Fitz done (including his "great year" last season) against teams like that in his career?

He's played great for the other team..:)

Just now, jetrider said:

Another sadly awful comparison.

Sanchez spent his first two years in the NFL proving he can win playoff games by defeating HOF QBs on the road. He was paid for his potential.

Fitz? It's one thing to ask for more money. It's another thing to jerk a team around for months over money you don't deserve.

Fair point....that is a bad comparison.

Sanchez never really played well, he just got carried to some big wins.  Once he didn't have a top 5 defense and running game he became a career back up.  

At least Fitz has managed to remain consistent with varying levels of talent around him, but was never gifted a defense as good as Sanchez had when he fooled the Jets in to thinking he was any good.

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick 100% MBM, that is Made By Marshall. Brandon Marshall can make ANY QB look good. That's what he does....

Right...what Marshall did last year was a pretty average year for him, right?  Not like it was one of his better seasons.  Fitz really held him back from the greatness he'd achieved with the other QB's he's played with.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, I was disappointed. I was hoping for something better, with more meat on it. This was more of an, "I respectfully disagree, Bart."

Boooo. C'mon Brandon, go get him! Kill! Kill!

Marshall is currently in the "serenity now" mode.  Just give him a little time.

Old story but why continue to point out the obvious?

I will say it again he could've proved he wasn't a fluke by playing well against the Bills.(Defense didn't show up either)

He's an average QB who at least makes his team respectable which the Jets didn't have with Geno.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Right...what Marshall did last year was a pretty average year for him, right?  Not like it was one of his better seasons.  Fitz really held him back from the greatness he'd achieved with the other QB's he's played with.

That's not what I'm saying and you know it. Fitz had a great season, but it all started with Brandon Marshall. Marshall quickly built chemistry with Fitz. Hell, Fitz threw the ball to Marshall several times last season and it should have been intercepted if not for the ball being thrown very high. That's what Marshall does. And yes, Marshall very much benefitted from that chemistry as well.

Just now, Mainejet said:

That's not what I'm saying and you know it. Fitz had a great season, but it all started with Brandon Marshall. Marshall quickly built chemistry with Fitz. Hell, Fitz threw the ball to Marshall several times last season and it should have been intercepted if not for the ball being thrown very high. That's what Marshall does. And yes, Marshall very much benefitted from that chemistry as well.

So I'm supposed to be upset that a quarterback's performance was better in the presence of better wide receivers?  I guess maybe I'm okay with that because it's what I expect.  I think we might even see Geno throw more TD's than INT's for the first time ever if Fitz doesn't sign or gets injured.  Of course that will depend on how injured he is because as we saw last season, Bowles prefers an injured Fitz to a healthy Geno if at all possible.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I was referring to the title of the article in the link I posted.  More specifically, the part where the title of the article said "swipes back"

it's not your fault, it was the title of the article.  they were trying to make it sound ;like Marshall bashed Scott.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Fair point....that is a bad comparison.

Sanchez never really played well, he just got carried to some big wins.  Once he didn't have a top 5 defense and running game he became a career back up.  

At least Fitz has managed to remain consistent with varying levels of talent around him, but was never gifted a defense as good as Sanchez had when he fooled the Jets in to thinking he was any good.

he didn't have a top run game in 2010, the Ds were always overrated.  Put mark on the 2015 jets and we are in the playoffs, put Fitz on the 2009/2010 jets and we no way make a single title game.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Mark Sanchez.jpg

he helped us reach 2 title games and was improving until we stripped all the talent around him.  he never had half the talent Fitz had last year and we nearly made Super Bowls.

and at least Mark had good moments in big games, something Fitz has never had at any point in his career.  Fitz threw 3 INts against a dead Buffalo team in the biggest game of his career, in 6 road playoff games mark threw a total of 3 INTs.

21 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he helped us reach 2 title games and was improving until we stripped all the talent around him.  he never had half the talent Fitz had last year and we nearly made Super Bowls.

and at least Mark had good moments in big games, something Fitz has never had at any point in his career.  Fitz threw 3 INts against a dead Buffalo team in the biggest game of his career, in 6 road playoff games mark threw a total of 3 INTs.

Your original post referred to a player not having a chance to fool a team and rip them off a second time.  That's where Fitzy and your boy are one in the same.

Just now, AFJF said:

Your original post referred to a player not having a chance to fool a team and rip them off a second time.  That's where Fitzy and your boy are one in the same.

I'm sorry, I must have missed when mark signed a huge deal recently.  

Just now, nyjunc said:

I'm sorry, I must have missed when mark signed a huge deal recently.  

He didn't...he got one with the Jets before becoming a journeyman backup.  Much like Fitz got one with the Bills for winning nothing, Sanchez got one from the Jets after winning nothing.  Neither will be seeing another deal like that any time soon because they're a pair of average to below average QB's who will play for a ton of teams when all is said and done.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He didn't...he got one with the Jets before becoming a journeyman backup.  Much like Fitz got one with the Bills for winning nothing, Sanchez got one from the Jets after winning nothing.  Neither will be seeing another deal like that any time soon because they're a pair of average to below average QB's who will play for a ton of teams when all is said and done.

Sanchez got one for improving as a young QB and helping the Jets reach 2 title games including the biggest win outside of 1968 in franchise history.  Fitz got it for nothing and has never even been in a playoff game.  the closest was our game at Buffalo and he was a disaster in that game.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Sanchez got one for improving as a young QB and helping the Jets reach 2 title games including the biggest win outside of 1968 in franchise history.  Fitz got it for nothing and has never even been in a playoff game.  the closest was our game at Buffalo and he was a disaster in that game.

Same bottom line...big money to win nothing.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Same bottom line...big money to win nothing.

I'd rather "win nothing" and have a chance at the SB than "win nothing" and never play in a playoff game.  You can't win a SB w/o making the playoffs first.  teams know they can win big w/ Mark b/c it has been proven, we don't know if any team can win at all w/ Fitz.  

Just now, nyjunc said:

I'd rather "win nothing" and have a chance at the SB than "win nothing" and never play in a playoff game.  You can't win a SB w/o making the playoffs first.  teams know they can win big w/ Mark b/c it has been proven, we don't know if any team can win at all w/ Fitz.  

Mark Sanchez was the quarterback....they were never going to win the Super Bowl...proven by the fact that with Mark Sanchez at quarterback, they never won the Super Bowl.

Just now, AFJF said:

Mark Sanchez was the quarterback....they were never going to win the Super Bowl...proven by the fact that with Mark Sanchez at quarterback, they never won the Super Bowl.

if the D plays like a big time D in the title games they easily could have won 2 Super Bowls.  The QB did not hold us back.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

if the D plays like a big time D in the title games they easily could have won 2 Super Bowls.  The QB did not hold us back.

LOL

Archived