Jets' Jordan Jenkins thinks he has the skills to be complete outside LB

Gas2No99

Jets' Jordan Jenkins thinks he has the skills to be complete outside LB

Jordan Jenkins

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — Through four Jets training camp practices, including two in full pads, rookie Jordan Jenkins has received every first-team rep. 

It sure appears that Jenkins, whom the Jets drafted in Round 3 out of Georgia, is the early favorite to start at the outside linebacker spot opposite Lorenzo Mauldin

And while the Jets need better edge-rushing production this season, there is more to being a complete, every-down NFL outside linebacker than just rushing the quarterback. You also must set the edge against the run (not let the ball carrier turn the corner) and sometimes drop into pass coverage.

Jenkins believes he has the skills foundation to do both of those things. In particular, Jenkins feels especially comfortable defending the run

"I feel like that's one of my stronger suits," he told NJ Advance Media. 

In college, he adopted the mentality "that teams weren't going to run the ball my way. And I was going to be someone that set the edge, because if I didn't make the play, they weren't running outside of me." 

He doesn't have much pass coverage dropping experience in games. But, he said, "It's nothing I haven't previously done at Georgia. Nobody really saw the game film of me doing it. I did it in practice.

That's because, even though he played the "will" (weak-side) outside linebacker spot, he also had to learn the "sam" (strong-side) spot played by Leonard Floyd, whom the Bears drafted ninth overall this year. 

The Jets are starting over at both outside linebacker spots. Mauldin was a rookie third-round pick last year who played mostly as a situational pass rusher. So a Mauldin-Jenkins outside linebacker tandem would be plenty green. 

But it looks like that tandem could happen. Jenkins did not expect to get every first-team rep early in camp.

"No, I expected just to maybe get some every now and then," he said.

The Jets could also consider third-year pro Trevor Reilly (primarily a special teams player to date) or Canadian Football League import Freddie Bishop as starter candidates.

Jenkins said the coaching staff has scripted the outside linebacker reps so that other players (like Reilly or Bishop) could get first-team reps in chunks later in camp. The coaches would rather divide the first-team reps like this, instead of rotating two or three players in with the starters during each individual practice.

Jenkins primarily played the "sam" outside linebacker spot during spring practices, but has worked at both spots during camp, because Jets coach Todd Bowles wants his outside linebackers to be interchangeable. 

As Jenkins scouts himself, he said he must work on his eye discipline before the snap — a typical issue for young defenders. 

"Keep my eyes where they're supposed to be, and not try to do somebody else's job," he said. "Just focus on what's in front of me, instead of looking in the backfield." 

He caught his eyes straying early in camp. 

"I made my job harder than it needed to be," he said. "I might have the edge set already. But if I peek in the backfield, I give the guy I'm going against a chance to recover, versus me just worrying about my gap and waiting for the ball to come to me, versus me jumping inside and the ball coming outside." 

Bottom line: Does Jenkins think he can be a productive starter? 

"That's something I would hope to do," he said. "I've only been in the league maybe two or three months, so I have no idea what's the level that it needs to be. But I will do my damnedest to try to get as close as I can to that level." 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com.

Sounds like a SOLID Professional 

Archived