Mehta: Fitz reacts to poor QB ranking

AFJF

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I feel like he does both fairly well. Not afraid to throw the ball to his back if his first option isn't there. Part of why I think Forte was a great pickup, also if Amaro can come on strong that would be another "safety valve" type player for him. 

I agree forte is perfect for fitz, especially on 3rd down he can run those underneath routes coming out of the backfield.  but IMO my biggest gripe with fitz is that too often he telegraphs where he's going to throw... If he's going to predetermine his throws like that, he needs to do a better job of selling the fake out instead of staring down receivers

Only Jets fans would consider the season lost and denigrate the starting QB coming off the year he just had for the illusion of "hard schedule" which has proven to be about as predictive as a divining rod in the FA Era.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I had season tickets at Shea Stadium for years growing up and the wind in stadiums can vary greratly from where you sit to what happens on the field to whats happening on the other side of the stadium I thought you would know this rather than using you're "I was there crap" AFJF was also there and Im guessing the announcers had weather reports and data to go by as well. Either way It does not refute that the Jets had no check down options for Fitz other than Steven Ridley He was once again as he was most of the year forced to go to WR's that were being covered fairly well by the Bills game plan. There were obviously things going on You choose to just dismiss to make an argument go in your favor. Not to mention Rex's percentage of shutting down QB's at a pretty good percentage. Also the 2 TD drives led by Fitz were pretty good as were the throws he made on the TD passes. The team came out flat in a game they could have punched Buffalo in the face early and probably dominated from that point on if they did so due to Buffalo being out of the playoff hunt. Whilt Fitz didn't play particularly well neither did the whole football team. We had our chances as a team and we blew it as a team

Rex can get his squad up for any game that means a lot to HIM PERSONALLY. But like shooting a race horse up with steroids and amphetamines, it causes a massive crash afterwards.

5 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Reads progressions well, goes through reads quickly, rarely gets sacked, not afraid to step up in the pocket, etc. Sure he doesn't have a strong arm but he knows the playbook inside out, gets the ball to the teams best playmakers and does a lot of the little things right. 

Reads progressions well -very very wrong. The reason he has had some success in Chan's offense is that it is a single read offense

Rarely gets sacked -True, it is likely his best quality though he sometimes gives up on plays too soon and checks down padding his stats but doing nothing for the team

Not afraid to step up in the pocket - No NFL QB is, never has struck me as a particular skill like the QBs who move well in the pocker

Sure he doesn't have a strong arm - He has possibly the weakest arm of current NFL starters and is completely unable to throw an effective deep ball

Knows the playbook inside and out - So does Petty and Geno and likely even Hack at this point. It is not the WC offense it is the simplest offense in the NFL

Gets the balls to the teams best playmakers -Largely scheme and it sure doesnt hurt having the best 1 2 WR combo in the NFL both with size

Does the little things right - No, he actually doesn't

If those are seriously your criteria then you should realize that he is a JAG

8 hours ago, Pac said:

yes, gusts.

gust: :  a sudden brief rush of wind

meaning the overwhelming majority of the time the wind should not have been a factor.

Thought we were talking about my Dad after Taco Tuesday.

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Wanting to see him is fine, and s justifiable curiosity.

Arguing about the outcome of him playing in hypotheticals, as though they are absolutes is an entirely different thing.

If we look like sh*t by week 10, and can't compete I want to see Grno, Hack and Petty get real reps, personally.

hopefully we are 7-3 by week 10 and rolling towards the playoffs.  Chances are likely though that he will have to play at some point due to Fitz getting banged up.  I hope he's ready.

Gotta love how all the Smith Fans are complaining and unhappy.  Saw that coming as soon as Fitz signed and they stewed in their juices a few days.  Don't you get the sense they are literally hoping Fitzpatrick plays poorly?

I sure do.

Lucky for the team that their whining does not affect the play on the field.

6 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Gotta love how all the Smith Fans are complaining and unhappy.  Saw that coming as soon as Fitz signed and they stewed in their juices a few days.  Don't you get the sense they are literally hoping Fitzpatrick plays poorly?

I sure do.

Bro, this post is so September 2015. Not saying I disagree but... well welcome to JetNation! :cheers:

40 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

hopefully we are 7-3 by week 10 and rolling towards the playoffs.  Chances are likely though that he will have to play at some point due to Fitz getting banged up.  I hope he's ready.

Agreed, and agreed.

Fingers crossed we don't lose a step. I want it all this year.

12 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Thanks, and I am happy to be here, ftr.  But it does seem there is a disproportionate percentage of Smith Fans here.

I can take it.

Yeah there are. Quite frankly I'm surprised this is still a thing. It's over for Smith in NY absent Fitz injury and improbable Geno playoff run.

25 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I sure do.

You like to make things up

14 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Thanks, and I am happy to be here, ftr.  But it does seem there is a disproportionate percentage of Smith Fans here.

I can take it.

How dare Jets fans show support for one for their players, tisk tisk. 

13 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I can take it.

Don't mistake volume of repetition for quantity of supporters.

29 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Don't you get the sense they are literally hoping Fitzpatrick plays poorly?

I sure do.

I think there is a small group here at JN who will root against Fitz, absolutely.  But it is small, I think the vast majority will root the laundry, as I do, as we all should.

33 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I sure do.

Fortunately your whining and unhappiness is much more tolerable. Thank you blockhead :lol:

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think there is a small group here at JN who will root against Fitz, absolutely.  But it is small, I think the vast majority will root the laundry, as I do, as we all should.

If there is it's very small, even the ones who are most "anti-Fitz" I think want him to succeed and want the Jets to win but if he fails they(we) are ready to pounce:D

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

If there is it's very small, even the ones who are most "anti-Fitz" I think want him to succeed and want the Jets to win but if he fails they(we) are ready to pounce:D

It's really amazing that some of these emotionally driven crybabies really think that not believing in a player means you are rooting against them and don't want to see them succeed. but then again they tend to be wrong about mostly everything football related, so maybe it makes sense here too

6 minutes ago, cant wait said:

It's really amazing that some of these emotionally driven crybabies really think that not believing in a player means you are rooting against them and don't want to see them succeed. but then again they tend to be wrong about mostly everything football related, so maybe it makes sense here too

I wouldn't put all into that category but on some of them I agree.

20 hours ago, Pac said:

The guy is definitely likable but last time I checked you don't charm your way into the playoffs.

No, but you can usually when you throw 31 TD's, rush for a couple more, and win 10 games. 

86 % of the time (since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002), 10 wins gets you in the playoffs.  If we win 10 again this year, odds are we'll make the postseason.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, but you can usually when you throw 31 TD's, rush for a couple more, and win 10 games. 

86 % of the time (since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002), 10 wins gets you in the playoffs.  If we win 10 again this year, odds are we'll make the postseason.

Statistics.

The same people bitching about use being on the wrong side of a tie-breaker last year, are the ones who usually laud Rex for being on the right side of one in 2009. 

I sum it up with two words, you can apply them as needed "biased" and "unintelligent". 

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Statistics.

The same people bitching about use being on the wrong side of a tie-breaker last year, are the ones who usually laud Rex for being on the right side of one in 2009. 

I sum it up with two words, you can apply them as needed "biased" and "unintelligent". 

9-7 in 2009 is somehow significantly better than 10-6 in 2015, leading to taunts about Fitz never making the playoffs.

For about 75 % of a full 16-game schedule last season, Fitz played like a playoff QB.  Last time we had a QB who did that?  Testaverde in 1998.  Yet the guy gets hated on like he's a loser.  Because that's a fair and balanced perspective.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

9-7 in 2009 is somehow significantly better than 10-6 in 2015, leading to taunts about Fitz never making the playoffs.

For about 75 % of a full 16-game schedule last season, Fitz played like a playoff QB.  Last time we had a QB who did that?  Testaverde in 1998.  Yet the guy gets hated on like he's a loser.  Because that's a fair and balanced perspective.

9-7 in 2009 was MUCH better than 9-7 in 2008 and 10-6 in 2015.  The sched was much tougher and we MADE the playoffs then played for the right to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl.  On what planet is 10-6 missing the playoffs better than that?

for about 50% of the games he played like a playoff QB unlike Mark and Chad before him and in the game that mattered most he played like one of the worst QBs in the league despite having more talent than any of those QBs to throw to.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

also 9-7 in 2009 is better than 9-7 in 2008

Fitz is not without flaws, same as Geno, but the hate for either at this point has become more of an exercise of insecure personality traits, than it is about reality... same as political discussion, the subject matter doesn't matter after the first "debate" between two schmucks on the street/internet, it becomes about preserving one's identity through blindly clinging to the ideas you've chosen to assimilate to and reinforce. Not thought, no perspective, no consideration or empathy for the other point of view... just fear of losing who you are, and yelling.

51 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Fortunately your whining and unhappiness is much more tolerable. Thank you blockhead :lol:

Blockhead.  Aren't you the clever one.

I am quite happy in any event.  Fitz signed up, the team is looking good, and we won't have to see Smith behind center, hopefully all year long.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

also 9-7 in 2009 is better than 9-7 in 2008

Fitz is not without flaws, same as Geno, but the hate for either at this point has become more of an exercise of insecure personality traits, than it is about reality... same as political discussion, the subject matter doesn't matter after the first "debate" between two schmucks on the street/internet, it becomes about preserving one's identity through blindly clinging to the ideas you've chosen to assimilate to and reinforce. Not thought, no perspective, no consideration or empathy for the other point of view... just fear of losing who you are, and yelling.

9-7 in 2009 was much better than 9-7 in 2008.  every sched is different and not only did we have maybe the easiest sched we have ever had(at least in my lifetime) but we also didn't have to face Tom Brady.  

In 2001 we went 10-6, in 2002 we went 9-7.  we were better by a wide margin in 2002 despite one less win.  each season is different.  last year the sched was weak and 10 wins wasn't enough.  Had Pitt won in week 16 and we won week 17 and missed at 11-5 it would have been more understandable but the playoffs fell in our lap and we couldn't take advantage.  that's a bad job.

11 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Blockhead.  Aren't you the clever one.

I am quite happy in any event.  Fitz signed up, the team is looking good, and we won't have to see Smith behind center, hopefully all year long.

Good then let's all enjoy some football then, I'm looking forward to seeing what this reloaded roster can do. curious to see Ijalana in his first start at RT tonight, forte is out too so it will be powell getting the start as well 

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

9-7 in 2009 was much better than 9-7 in 2008.  every sched is different and not only did we have maybe the easiest sched we have ever had(at least in my lifetime) but we also didn't have to face Tom Brady.  

In 2001 we went 10-6, in 2002 we went 9-7.  we were better by a wide margin in 2002 despite one less win.  each season is different.  last year the sched was weak and 10 wins wasn't enough.  Had Pitt won in week 16 and we won week 17 and missed at 11-5 it would have been more understandable but the playoffs fell in our lap and we couldn't take advantage.  that's a bad job.

No, 9-7 is the same no matter what. I can appreciate the circumstances that you bring up, but they are irrelevant to the fact that the same win/loss record in consecutive years led to one coach being fired, while another went on an improbable playoff run and become unaccountable for the litany of failures later in his career.

2009 was a success, arguably, because of the playoff wins. Both 2008 and 2009 were "okay" regular seasons. If we lose in the first round of the playoffs in 2009, then it becomes "Jets lucked their way into the playoffs only 1 game over .500, and were outclassed in the wildcard round". Because we won a couple games, it becomes "greatest run of Jets football in decades". 

Reality is, 9-7 is 9-7. It's ridiculous to argue one version of 9-7 is better than the other. I think contextualizing it the way you have helps understand what went on that season, and whether you can look at 9-7 as a upswing or downswing... but, ultimately it's a win/loss record. It speaks for itself, it doesn't require context. Just an understanding of whether it was enough that specific year to get in. Easy schedule or not. Tom Brady or not. 

Also, to me, you have to de-couple the regular season success from the playoff success, because you never know how many wins it'll take to get in. You can have a good regular season, and watch the playoffs from home. If that good regular season shows sings of organizational change, that can be built upon, then celebrate it. I think last year did do that for us. In a version of the NFL that saw so many teams look like sh*t, the Jets didn't - and it was only year 1 of a rebuild after our talent bottomed out under Idzik. See, that's me contextualizing it, because I saw it as an upswing. Ultimately, all that matters is the record. 10 wins was great, but not enough to get in. Was it a failure? Yes and no. Yes, because we blew a shot at a playoff berth. No, because we're back. 

Last year was only the 9th time since I've been born that they've had double-digit wins. If we're going to count a pair of playoff wins in 2009 as "great moments", then we should consider a double-digit win season a success too. We don't see many of them rooting for this Godforsaken franchise. 

Anyway, I can appreciate the way you view it - don't need to argue about it - just offering a different perspective. I honestly can't believe I just took the time to write all this. LOL

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No, 9-7 is the same no matter what. I can appreciate the circumstances that you bring up, but they are irrelevant to the fact that the same win/loss record in consecutive years led to one coach being fired, while another went on an improbable playoff run and become unaccountable for the litany of failures later in his career.

2009 was a success, arguably, because of the playoff wins. Both 2008 and 2009 were "okay" regular seasons. If we lose in the first round of the playoffs in 2009, then it becomes "Jets lucked their way into the playoffs only 1 game over .500, and were outclassed in the wildcard round". Because we won a couple games, it becomes "greatest run of Jets football in decades". 

Reality is, 9-7 is 9-7. It's ridiculous to argue one version of 9-7 is better than the other. I think contextualizing it the way you have helps understand what went on that season, and whether you can look at 9-7 as a upswing or downswing... but, ultimately it's a win/loss record. It speaks for itself, it doesn't require context. Just an understanding of whether it was enough that specific year to get in. Easy schedule or not. Tom Brady or not. 

Also, to me, you have to de-couple the regular season success from the playoff success, because you never know how many wins it'll take to get in. You can have a good regular season, and watch the playoffs from home. If that good regular season shows sings of organizational change, that can be built upon, then celebrate it. I think last year did do that for us. In a version of the NFL that saw so many teams look like sh*t, the Jets didn't - and it was only year 1 of a rebuild after our talent bottomed out under Idzik. See, that's me contextualizing it, because I saw it as an upswing. Ultimately, all that matters is the record. 10 wins was great, but not enough to get in. Was it a failure? Yes and no. Yes, because we blew a shot at a playoff berth. No, because we're back. 

Last year was only the 9th time since I've been born that they've had double-digit wins. If we're going to count a pair of playoff wins in 2009 as "great moments", then we should consider a double-digit win season a success too. We don't see many of them rooting for this Godforsaken franchise. 

Anyway, I can appreciate the way you view it - don't need to argue about it - just offering a different perspective. I honestly can't believe I just took the time to write all this. LOL

2009 was a success first b/c we got into the playoffs, that alone made it much better than 2008.  the 2 playoff wins made it even better obviously.

9-7 isn't 9-7, not every 9-7 is created the same.  

double digit wins are meaningless w/o the playoffs.  I'd rather go 8-8 and make the playoffs like we did in 1991 than 10-6 and miss the playoffs like last year.  it's all about the playoffs and having a chance to advance.

yes, it was a long one:D

Just now, nyjunc said:

double digit wins are meaningless w/o the playoffs.  I'd rather go 8-8 and make the playoffs like we did in 1991 than 10-6 and miss the playoffs like last year.  it's all about the playoffs and having a chance to advance.

I'll take 10-6 every year over 8-8 and prayers.

Good reference though, the 2015 10-6 team was worlds better than the 8-8 "Playoff Team" of 1991.

You're not wrong, it's all about the post-season, and a chance to advance to win a title. 

But backing in to the posts-season in a weak divisional year doesn't make that team better than a team who won 10 games in the regular season and had a chance to win an 11th, but sadly became a rare "10 wins and out" team.

10 wins gets you the playoffs far more often than 8.  And a luckly playoff run doesn't mean an 8-8 or 9-7 team is "better" than a 10+ win team.

Gotta get into the details to make that determination.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll take 10-6 every year over 8-8 and prayers.

Good reference though, the 2015 10-6 team was worlds better than the 8-8 "Playoff Team" of 1991.

You're not wrong, it's all about the post-season, and a chance to advance to win a title. 

But backing in to the posts-season in a weak divisional year doesn't make that team better than a team who won 10 games in the regular season and had a chance to win an 11th, but sadly became a rare "10 wins and out" team.

10 wins gets you the playoffs far more often than 8.  And a luckly playoff run doesn't mean an 8-8 or 9-7 team is "better" than a 10+ win team.

Gotta get into the details to make that determination.

what did 10-6 get us last year?

I think 2015 was better than 1991 but who cares? they didn't even make the playoffs w/ a creampuff sched.

we did go on the road in a win and in game against dan marino to make the playoffs in 1991 so that's not backing in.

the Giants were 9-7 in 2011 and won a SB but let's celebrate a meaningless 10 wins w/ no playoff app!

Archived