Offensive Line vs Washington

Sarge4Tide

Jets basically played 3 offensive line combos:

Left Tackle - Ryan Clady / Ben Ijalana / Brandon Shell (DNP: Jesse Davis)

Left Guard - James Carpenter / Mike Liedtke

Center -  Wesley Johnson / Dakota Dozier  (DNP: Nick Mangold, Kyle Friend)

Right Guard - Brian Winters / Craig Watts

Right Tackle - Ben Ijalana / Brent Qvale / Jarvis Harrison  (DNP: Breno Giacomini) 

• Ijalana seems to  be the #1 backup at both LT and RT 
  • Wes Johnson and Dakota Dozier both played center only and it was hard to tell much difference between the 2 - Johnson maybe had more consistent long snaps.  Dozier's ability to play C and G, or even T in a pinch might earn him a spot over Johnson or they both might make it 
  • I like both Watts and Liedtke as a backup Gs - Watts played well vs both Jax and Washington. I think he has a chance . Liedtke looked solid vs the Skins.  If one or both are eligible  for the Practice Squad, they seem like good bets if they don't make the 53 man roster 
  • Shell was supposed to project to G or RT, but played LT vs both Jax and the Skins.  Seems like a good athlete with nice upside.  Harrison didn't jump out as doing anything particularly good or bad vs Washington, if he can play G, he might take a spot over Watts 

If the Jets keep 9 OL, it might be:

Tackle: Clady, Giacomini, Ijalana, Shell

Guard: Winters, Carpenter, (Watts, Dozier, or Harrison)

Center: Mangold, (Johnson or Dozier)

I'm worried about this unit because depth is lacking. However through our first backups at guard and tackle I have less qualms than most. Assuming breno is still in play to start 

Clady-carpenter-mangold-winters-giacomini

that lineup is solid is unspectacular.

However, is that 5 million dollars better than

Clady-Carpenter-mangold-winters-Iljana

i have not reason to believe the gaps between Iljana, Qvale and Giacomini is so great that we can't dump the most expensive of the 3.

Archived