..keep 'em or dump 'em ? ? ?

kelly

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I was with you until you said Geno should be resigned. That's just not happening. And it's laughable to even suggest it.

Also, I'm a big no on Peppers in the top 5. No thanks. 

Jabril Peppers is the correction to the mistake that was Calvin Pryor . That kid is a SS who can cover and hit . He's the type of safety that you can play up or back . At OLB, he's a wasted pick . As of this moment in time, Eugene is the best QB option going forward for the Jets . He's clearly better than Bryce Petty presently, who's clearly better than Hackenberg  presently . That situation could change  with addition playing time, but that fact of the matter is, every NFL team needs at least 2 QBs and presently, the Jets have none .

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think the Jets would be crazy to not consider trading for Romo if Petty falls on his face. Hack is not ready, Jets will have a high pick & money to spend fixing their Oline. Similar to Favre except younger, you pray he can stay healthy but Romo would be the best QB the Jets have ever had since Namath.

Just imagine Romo throwing to Brandon, Decker, Enunwa, Smith, Anderson, Forte, Powell, Young stud RB draft pick, maybe ASJ turns his life around. 

Just review the Cowboys records with Romo & without Romo. Romo didn't have Zeke either.

Too Risky in the salary cap era . The Guy would be a quality asset, but he has been seriously injured 3 straight years, and what it would cost against the cap and picks to acquire him would be prohibitive.

Now if the Cowboys would accept Sheldon Richardson for Romo and a 4th, I would make the move .  

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Jabril Peppers is the correction to the mistake that was Calvin Pryor . That kid is a SS who can cover and hit . He's the type of safety that you can play up or back . At OLB, he's a wasted pick . As of this moment in time, Eugene is the best QB option going forward for the Jets . He's clearly better than Bryce Petty presently, who's clearly better than Hackenberg  presently . That situation could change  with addition playing time, but that fact of the matter is, every NFL team needs at least 2 QBs and presently, the Jets have none .

I'm sure Peppers was great but you can find able safeties in other rounds. The Jets need impact players in the first round. Not complimentary positions. They have some solid young safeties. It's not a need. 

And Geno Smith is bad. He is coming off a major knee injury and he's not really the most popular player in or out of the locker room. There is zero chance they bring him back. None. 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

IMO there's no reason to bring back for the 2017 season any of the following players :

Nick Mangold

David Harris

Breno Giacomini

Darrelle  Revis

Nick Folk

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Marcus Gilcrist

Calvin Pryor

Players that should be carefully offered in trade :

Brandon Marshall

Sheldon Richardson

Matt Forte'

Players that should be resigned :

Quincy Enunwa

Bilal Powell

Brian Winters

Eugene Smith

1st round targets :

Jabrill Peppers

Cam Robinson

Desmond King

My target QB still remains :

Patrick Towles

Oh boy, you mentioned Geno (or masked him as Eugene). May the gods be with you...I mean the mods. 

*start the stoning!

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Too Risky in the salary cap era . The Guy would be a quality asset, but he has been seriously injured 3 straight years, and what it would cost against the cap and picks to acquire him would be prohibitive.

Now if the Cowboys would accept Sheldon Richardson for Romo and a 4th, I would make the move .  

Who is gonna pay Romo HUGE money or trade premier picks? Nobody. Broncos have too many premier players to keep. After paying Von Miller. Then you have the Browns? They won't go after Romo. Bears? No way they eat Cutlers salary & trade picks, Vikings will resign Bradford for continuity.

it really comes down to what Romo wants his legacy to be. Does he care? Does he want to show everyone he's not finished? That scenario you presented of trading Richardson & a 4th is not that far fetched if Romo still wants to play and they can agree on a contract. There just won't be a lot of options & Jerry won't trade Romo to anyone in the NFC.

Romo would look at the Jets offensive skill players & I have no doubt that would get him excited. Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Enunwa, up & comer Anderson, Smith being back, probably a young stud RB in the draft, ASJ if he turns his life around, Forte & Powell. Outside of health Romo is 3 times the QB that Fitz is! Romo has beaten MANY teams that have finished over .500.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Who is gonna pay Romo HUGE money or trade premier picks? Nobody. Broncos have too many premier players to keep. After paying Von Miller. Then you have the Browns? They won't go after Romo. Bears? No way they eat Cutlers salary & trade picks, Vikings will resign Bradford for continuity.

it really comes down to what Romo wants his legacy to be. Does he care? Does he want to show everyone he's not finished? That scenario you presented of trading Richardson & a 4th is not that far fetched if Romo still wants to play and they can agree on a contract. There just won't be a lot of options & Jerry won't trade Romo to anyone in the NFC.

Romo would look at the Jets offensive skill players & I have no doubt that would get him excited. Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Enunwa, up & comer Anderson, Smith being back, probably a young stud RB in the draft, ASJ if he turns his life around, Forte & Powell. Outside of health Romo is 3 times the QB that Fitz is! Romo has beaten MANY teams that have finished over .500.

Romo is under contract and his contract would be what the Jets will be charged under the cap since he can only be acquired via trade . Cowboys will never cut  Romo out right  next off-season . Currently, Romo carries a 25 mil cap hit for the 2017 season with 19 mil in dead money if he's cut .

Since salary cap is a big deal for both sides in any Romo-to-the-Jets discussion, why not make Wilkerson the guy involved in the trade instead of Sheldon? I highly doubt Mo is viewed around the league as "done", and he's cheaper than Romo and plays a position of need for the Cowboys, so I'd see it as a good trade for both sides. The Jets would then be able to easily pay Romo next year. For Dallas, they are getting a potential top 10 DL in football without giving up any draft picks, and freeing up a little salary for next year as well. For us, we're getting rid of Mo and the logjam at DL, we're freeing ourselves from his salary over the next several years, and we're landing easily the best QB the Jets have ever had (sorry Joe, but Romo is a better QB). Plus, that means we won't be reaching for one of the lackluster QB's coming out in this draft class and can use our picks to solve other problems (OT, CB, S...). 

I honestly don't see how that trade doesn't make both sides happy...

As for drafting Peppers at number 5... I think that's a reach and a mistake. I'm a Michigan fan, and I love Peppers...but his impact on the defensive side of the field hasn't been nearly as high as media outlets would lead you to believe. He's a legit stud as a return man, and I think he can develop nicely into a good SS, but at pick number 5...that's not a price I'm willing to gamble. 

To me, there are 2 clear priorities for our first round pick. LT or CB. Now, there may very well be zero LT's or CB's worth drafting at our draft slot, but I'd be willing to guess that there would be someone available that another team would be willing to trade up for. And we could DEFINITELY use more draft picks. 

If I was making a Big Board of draft prospects as of right now, here's how it would look: (remember, this is a Big Board, not a mock draft)

1- Myles Garret, DE, Texas A&M

2- Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama

3- Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

4- Jamal Adams, S, LSU

5- Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

6- Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

7- Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

8- Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

9- Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

10- Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Based on that list, and with us having the 5th slot as of this morning, I think I'd take a chance on any of the 6, 7, or 8 players instead of 5, simply because we don't need another DL. If I was ranking who I want the  most, I'd say Garret (he's simply too good to pass up), Fournette, Foster, Cook, Williams, Allen (also very freakin good, and too hard to pass up if he was available at 6 or later). I don't think using a top 5 pick on a S is a good idea, and I'm typically not a fan of using a top 5 pick on a RB... but in this case, Fournette is the best RB to come out since AP, and Cook is every bit as good as Ezekiel Elliot, so it's worth it in this scenario. 

What works somewhat in our favor (depending on your view of Fournette, I guess), is that Cleveland will surely not pass on Myles Garret, and San Fran, Jacksonville, and Chicago don't seem like they would use their first pick on a RB. So there's a very good chance that he falls to us at 5. And even if you are in the "no RB's in the top 5" camp, I guarantee you that somebody else down the line will want him bad enough to trade up with us to get him (Green Bay, Cleveland's other 1st rounder, Baltimore, Detroit...).

We're in a good position as of right now, I just hope we don't start winning meaningless games and screw it up! (yes, I'm one of those people)

Archived