Who are some Olinemen We Could Target In The Top 5

SR24

So, its very early. So hard to predict where guys will go. As most have said, this draft is weak at OT but deep at Edge rusher, RB and CB. There are also some very nice safeties that will be available in this draft. 

There are two ways to look at the depth of the draft. One is to say you go after the positions that have the best talent in the early rounds (CB, Pass Rusher, RB). Another way to look at it is you take the top prospects at positions that are NOT deep in the draft early- because other positions will have good talent available in the later rounds.

Contrary to what many GMs claim, they NEVER draft strictly based on BPA. Its irresponsible for a GM to ignore the team needs. For example, if the Cowboys have a shot at Fournette and he is BPA, there is NO WAY they are drafting Fournette b/c they have Elliott and need defensive help.

Personally, I think we trade down in the hopes of a top 2 OT prospect being there in the late teens, early twenties (Cam Robinson, Mike McGlinchey- if he declares). That would be the best case scenario. We address one of our biggest needs early. We take a top tier prospect at a position that is not very deep in this draft. We happen to be in luck b/c CB, RB, and Pass Rusher are all deep in this draft and now we have an extra 2nd round pick (via trade down).

Now, if we do that, guys like Fournette and Cook will be off the board. The top 2-3 CBs will probably be off the board. You will probably see at least 2-3 Pass rushers come of the board. I expect a couple of safeties to come off the board. The top 2 OGs will probably come off the board. And at least 2 QBs will be off the board (personally I don't think the Jets should draft a QB early- if at all).

In round 2- having addressed the OT position and armed with multiple 2nd round picks, the Jets have a ton of options. Its a luxury to have a high 2nd rounder b/c you will have 1st round talent spillover into the top of the 2nd round. This will be a critical pick, especially with the Jets recent perceived failures in the 2nd round. You can address the 2nd biggest need (other than QB) and take the top available CB. I like Q.Wilson out of Florida. He could very well drop out of the first round and be there for the Jets. Maybe stud pass rusher Tim Williams falls out of the first. I also like D.Walker out of Florida State. You can go after a RB and take a versatile guy like McCaffrey or more of a featured back in D'Onta Foreman- realistically, both guys should be there. I think Fournette, Cook, and Kamara go in the first. If Kamara is there in the 2nd, I would consider him as well for the Jets.

With two second rounders, you could very well get twp of the guys above.

As far as the OT position in specificity. I think the Jets will need to make some tough decisions on the O-line that will impact how they approach the draft. Mangold is getting older, often injured and has a big salary for a C. W.Johnson is a FA. Ijalana is a FA. Winters is a FA. Clady will most likely be cut. Qvale has not solidified a position on the O-line. Giacomini will most likely be cut. So I think the will not only need to go after O-line in the draft, but they will need to address it in FA. W.Johnson is almost certainly going to be back as he is a RFA. But other than that, Carpenter is the only other certainty on the Jets O-line. Personally, I would look at a veteran OT and OG in FA. I would let Winters and Iajana walk, cut Giacomini and Clady, re-sign W.Johnson. If the Jets can pry away a guy like Zietler from the Bengals and bring in Kalil at LT it would be a coup. The Jets would have legitimate vet starters at nearly every position with a talented rookie coming in (Cam Robinson?) that should be able to compete for the starting RT position with Qvale and Shell.      

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Bit will show up and state that the Oline is just fine.

With Mangold and Clady they were an average group. Without those players the OL is not fine, it is well below average. That being said there might not be a tackle taken in the top 25 let alone top 5, it's just not a great year for that position at the high end. 

and by the way the Jets probably need a CB more than a OL. They have a couple decent OL they have no corners (and that statement includes Revis who is done) 

they also need a QB more than a CB

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

We have to go oline hard this offseason. We have skill position players, and a defensive base but not enough talent to say that we can make it work with a rookie QB. Peppers scares me because I don't know where he'd play for us unless we plan on getting rid of Pryor. 

I would have him play next to Lee in th 3-4.

You would have Mauldin, Peppers, Lee, Jenkins

If Garrett falls, take him. 

Archived