It'll be very interesting to see if Jets change defensive coaches

Sarge4Tide

Will the Jets make any changes among the defensive coaches after this season? Does Bowles serve as de facto defensive coordinator or does he  let the defensive coaches handle that?  Is Kacy Rodgers the actual defensive coordinator or just the nominal defensive coordinator?  Does Bowles think he needs to bring in an experienced DC and if so, can he hand over control of the defense to the new guy?

All these are going to be very intereating things to watch. If Kacy Rodgers is fired and an experienced DC is brought in, that will speak volumes to me about Bowles and his involvement on the defense this year. I'll also see it as a good sign that Bowles sees a need to delegate more. If there are no changes to the defensive coaches, I'm going to take that as a bad sign.  

I agree it will be very interesting to see. I think a challenge at this point would be finding a coach who wants to come in and coach for a lame duck head coach. I can see a few of the position coaches change as well as the QB coach getting elevated to OC.

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I agree it will be very interesting to see. I think a challenge at this point would be finding a coach who wants to come in and coach for a lame duck head coach. I can see a few of the position coaches change as well as the QB coach getting elevated to OC.

QB coach getting elevated to OC...hmmm

Just now, SickJetFan said:

Our QB coach?

Yes. He supposedly puts together all the scouting stuff and gameplan. But Chan calls the plays and apparently Chan does not take things such as down and distance into consideration before calling them. Chan belongs on a golf course at this point. I will see if I can dig up the article.

Also, with all the injuries I would have to think they change their strength and conditioning coaches as well as trainers.

Just now, RSJ said:

Yes. He supposedly puts together all the scouting stuff and gameplan. But Chan calls the plays and apparently Chan does not take things such as down and distance into consideration before calling them. Chan belongs on a golf course at this point. I will see if I can dig up the article.

Also, with all the injuries I would have to think they change their strength and conditioning coaches as well as trainers.

Hmmm did not know that and yes please post article if you find

agree on strength and conditioning...but I wonder if maybe Bowles was too easy on team after success of last season he purposely let players take more days off because they were wearing down late last season....but give an inch take a mile kinda thing maybe happened and that could have been abused.

Kacy Rodgers wants Darrelle Revis back with Jets in '17, but does Revis want to return?

The New York Jets host the Baltimore Ravens in NFL Week 7
Darrelle Revis warms up as the New York Jets host the Baltimore Ravens in NFL action. 10/23/16 East Rutherford, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on December 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM, updated December 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM

FLORHAM PARK -- Kacy Rodgers is the Jets' defensive coordinator. He is not the head coach, general manager, or owner.

But if constructing the team's roster was among his duties, he'd bring struggling cornerback Darrelle Revis back in 2017. No questions asked.

"The thing I will say is Darrelle is a heckuva football player and I'm glad he's on our team," Rodgers said. "I wouldn't bet against him going forward."

It's hard to find a player underperforming more on defense this year than No. 24. Despite a team-high $17 million cap hit (the highest cap hit of any non-quarterback in the NFL), the future Hall of Famer doesn't have a single interception, just four defended passes, and is allowing a quarterback rating of 109.8 when targeted, according to ProFootballFocus.com.

Ads by ZINC

Revis is regularly beaten by, not just the best of the best receivers, but anyone lining up in front of him (Rams wideout Kenny Britt torched him for over 100 yards). On more than one occasion, he looked to have given up and shied away from contact.

On the practice field, though, Rodgers says he's still the same guy.

"We just watched him have two picks today in practice," Rodgers said. "This guy's still working hard. Still doing everything you ask of him. True pro. Asks good questions in the meetings, from that standpoint, we know exactly what we have."

Swan Song: Is this it for these Jets?

Are these players going to be back next year?

The Jets are going to have a decision to make regarding Revis this offseason. If they cut him before the second day of the new league year, they can free $9 million in cap space and be on the books for just $6 million. If Revis signs on and plays for another team, his salary with said new team would alleviate of some of the $6 million hit.

If on the Jets, though, Revis will have a cap hit of $15.33 million. Combine his declining production with climbing age (he'll turn 32 in July), and cutting the cornerback doesn't seem like such an asinine move.

On Thursday, Revis, who said he has been getting picks "all year" in practice, was asked if he thought this weekend would be his final game with the Jets. He scoffed at the question, alluding to being under contract "until 2019."

When asked how badly he wants to keep playing, Revis said, "keep playing what?" before he reiterated, "I'm under contract," and said, "it's my job."

At some point, Revis has to want to play for more than a paycheck, no? There has to be some fire burning inside before each game?

If there is, Revis isn't doing a great job of showing it. He shook off the question and instead took a rather cavalier approach.

"Yeah. I'm still playing. Yeah. So," Revis said before sarcastically laughing. "Any other questions?"

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Hmmm did not know that and yes please post article if you find

agree on strength and conditioning...but I wonder if maybe Bowles was too easy on team after success of last season he purposely let players take more days off because they were wearing down late last season....but give an inch take a mile kinda thing maybe happened and that could have been abused.

Yeah it may take a while to find it but I will keep looking. I know it was Connor Hughes that wrote about it or mentioned it on his broadcast on Twitter. 

Yeah I know what you are saying. I was wondering the opposite and thought that maybe Bowles was harder on the team this year? Not sure - but this many injuries seems like something that needs to be addressed.

Mondays gonna be real interesting around the league.

Maybe the Woodster is waiting to see what coaches come available before deciding Bowles fate? He has been very quiet, not a good sign if your Todd Bowles, no bold "Todd is our coach" statements whatsoever. 

Personally, if you lose your team as badly as Bowles has & guys are sparring through the media, I think you need to be fired unless you rid yourself of all the participants yapping to the media. I'd rid them of Sheldon. Marshall, Revis right off the bat. I know there are some Marshall lovers here but my goodness, he drops way too many balls, he's getting banged up every year & he's a year older, which to me means he's a lot closer to the end of his career & much closer to the beginning of his career in the Media. It's like they say about workers, when they start talking more about retirement it's better to just let them go.

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Mondays gonna be real interesting around the league.

Maybe the Woodster is waiting to see what coaches come available?

Any well run organization would/should have a wish list of a few people that they would love to have if they became available, obviously only if you are on the fence with your own coach. But we are talking about Woody Johnson here. I don't have any faith in him whatsoever when it comes to doing anything remotely close to intelligent when it comes to running this team.

Just to note RSJ, I have now read few articles where several players have said Bowles is hard on them stressing that this was this year definitely that he was very hard on them. This is something players have to get used to since they were used to club med with Rex. Now with Rex out of the division maybe those easy years will be out of site out of mind and whatever players stay will adjust and the worse apples will be gone.

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Kacy Rodgers wants Darrelle Revis back with Jets in '17, but does Revis want to return?

The New York Jets host the Baltimore Ravens in NFL Week 7
Darrelle Revis warms up as the New York Jets host the Baltimore Ravens in NFL action. 10/23/16 East Rutherford, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on December 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM, updated December 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM

FLORHAM PARK -- Kacy Rodgers is the Jets' defensive coordinator. He is not the head coach, general manager, or owner.

But if constructing the team's roster was among his duties, he'd bring struggling cornerback Darrelle Revis back in 2017. No questions asked.

"The thing I will say is Darrelle is a heckuva football player and I'm glad he's on our team," Rodgers said. "I wouldn't bet against him going forward."

It's hard to find a player underperforming more on defense this year than No. 24. Despite a team-high $17 million cap hit (the highest cap hit of any non-quarterback in the NFL), the future Hall of Famer doesn't have a single interception, just four defended passes, and is allowing a quarterback rating of 109.8 when targeted, according to ProFootballFocus.com.

Ads by ZINC

Revis is regularly beaten by, not just the best of the best receivers, but anyone lining up in front of him (Rams wideout Kenny Britt torched him for over 100 yards). On more than one occasion, he looked to have given up and shied away from contact.

On the practice field, though, Rodgers says he's still the same guy.

"We just watched him have two picks today in practice," Rodgers said. "This guy's still working hard. Still doing everything you ask of him. True pro. Asks good questions in the meetings, from that standpoint, we know exactly what we have."

Are these players going to be back next year?

The Jets are going to have a decision to make regarding Revis this offseason. If they cut him before the second day of the new league year, they can free $9 million in cap space and be on the books for just $6 million. If Revis signs on and plays for another team, his salary with said new team would alleviate of some of the $6 million hit.

If on the Jets, though, Revis will have a cap hit of $15.33 million. Combine his declining production with climbing age (he'll turn 32 in July), and cutting the cornerback doesn't seem like such an asinine move.

On Thursday, Revis, who said he has been getting picks "all year" in practice, was asked if he thought this weekend would be his final game with the Jets. He scoffed at the question, alluding to being under contract "until 2019."

When asked how badly he wants to keep playing, Revis said, "keep playing what?" before he reiterated, "I'm under contract," and said, "it's my job."

At some point, Revis has to want to play for more than a paycheck, no? There has to be some fire burning inside before each game?

If there is, Revis isn't doing a great job of showing it. He shook off the question and instead took a rather cavalier approach.

"Yeah. I'm still playing. Yeah. So," Revis said before sarcastically laughing. "Any other questions?"

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Kacy Rogers might be a good coach but he has been awful here AWFUL!!!

Revis was a heck of a football player, this year he has been awful and for Rogers to claim that is the level of play he expects is grounds right there for his dismissal IMO.

Parcells used to say you can't coach the coaches and in Rogers case it appears that Bowles has to change and burp him as well.

The man has to go...

Archived