Skins botching Cousins situation?

AFJF

I've been insanely busy with the move to England, so not nearly as on top of NFL news as usual.  Heard a blurb yesterday that Cousins may not sign or be tagged by the 'Skins before the start of free agency.

Googled it and saw an ESPN story saying if he's moved, he wants to go to San Fran to reunite with Shanahan and a few articles on how badly Washington has handled the whole situation.

Are they really going to let a guy who just threw 54 TD's over the past two seasons and completed 69.8% of his passes in 2016 get away?

Before you saw that tweet, you were convinced the Skins were idiots just because some talking head put the idea in your head .   This is my biggest issue with fans, who repeat everything they hear as their truth instead of forming their own opinions and standing by them  until; something plausible gives you a reason to change ..

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Before you saw that tweet, you were convinced the Skins were idiots just because some talking head put the idea in your head .   This is my biggest issue with fans, who repeat everything they hear as their truth instead of forming their own opinions and standing by them  until; something plausible gives you a reason to change ..

You're wrong about that.

The fact that a guy who has played as well as he has in a QB-starved league yet is still not locked up long-term, made me think they were screwing up the situation weeks ago.  A guy who has done what he has done should never get to a second franchise tag.  You pay him what you have to in order to get him locked up long-term.

Seeing further reports that Cousins wants to go to SF to re-unite with Shanahan tells me he's fed up with the way Was. has handled his situation and would be happy to move on.

They've handled it poorly...I started the thread to get the consensus, because I would imagine as Jets fans, it's hard to imagine having a young QB with the best QBR in the NFL over a two-year span, but still screwing around at the negotiation table.

We have to live through Fitz vs. Geno, while other teams snub a 28 year old pro-bowler.  FML.

Cousins wasn't going anywhere and everyone knew it . The time to franchise him just started and it still has a few more days before it ends. The skins were and are probably just haggling over language in his contract and with 24 mil for this coming year, Cousins will sign his tag next week . Kid is set for life with this contract and last year's contract and it's all guaranteed . What's even better is he can't be tagged again, so he's going to get paid even more if he stays healthy and wants to continue playing . 

Where else are you going to make 40 mil dollars in 2 yrs  ? Kid played this smartly .

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Cousins wasn't going anywhere and everyone knew it . The time to franchise him just started and it still has a few more days before it ends. The skins were and are probably just haggling over language in his contract and with 24 mil for this coming year, Cousins will sign his tag next week . Kid is set for life with this contract and last year's contract and it's all guaranteed . What's even better is he can't be tagged again, so he's going to get paid even more if he stays healthy and wants to continue playing . 

Where else are you going to make 40 mil dollars in 2 yrs  ? Kid played this smartly .

Two years of haggling over language.  That's a screw up IMO.

Also we are talking about the Skins here.  So the idea they could screw this up wasn't out of the ordinary.  I always felt they would tag him b/c they can now get 2 1st rounders for him if they can't iron out a long term deal.  I'm not joking either though, I'd give up those 2 1st rounders for him.  Dudes only 28 I think, coming off two excellent seasons for him personally, I think the sky is the limit with him and you invest long term in him.

EDIT: of course I said this before checking the franchise tag, looks like they gave him the exclusive tag and not the non-exclusive, they must be close in finishing a deal I would think, otherwise why wouldn't they do non-exclusive and have the opportunity to get 2 1st rounders if they can't get a deal done with him?

On 2/28/2017 at 8:20 PM, detectivekimble said:

He'll be a FA next year.  Mac should be clearing the cap space.  That way they have the option of drafting a QB or signing Cousins.

He and garropolo should both be hitting FA at the same time. mccarron & bradford too

Archived