Offensive Line

SickJetFan

Sounds like Shell will get opportunity to win LT which I think he could do it and that would be great if he did

Shell and Carp are better in pass protection

Wesley, Winters, and Beachum are better in run game and Beachum seems prototypical RT.

If they could find a good every down TE to help growing pains on left side (maybe Howard) that would open up the pass and run

Now they just need a RB who can take advantage of the A,B,C gaps on right side and who is not a liability in pass protection (Maybe Mixon)

also get someone who could upgrade Wesley maybe next year (maybe Toth who is also good in Run)

Howard -     Shell - Carp - Wesley - Winters - Beachum

Anderson and Q on the left to draw away safeties and Decker does his thing from right hash would open up play action.

I think we be set for couple years....all hinges on Shell in training camp and PS though.

oh and Petty will win the job.

That would be amazing if it happens. I was pissed that we traded up for Shell when we did because 1) I knew the pick was going to be a very HIGH 4th and 2) I didn't think Shell was a LT prospect, but RT only. But if the kid can actually play LT and can do so effectively a high 4th round pick would be an absolute steal.

19 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Sounds like Shell will get opportunity to win LT which I think he could do it and that would be great if he did

Wesley, Winters, and Beachum are better in run game and Beachum seems prototypical RT.

If they could find a good every down TE to help growing pains on left side (maybe Howard) that would open up the pass and run

Now they just need a RB who can take advantage of the A,B,C gaps on right side and who is not a liability in pass protection (Maybe Mixon)

also get someone who could upgrade Wesley maybe next year (maybe Toth who is also good in Run)

Anderson and Q on the left to draw away safeties and Decker does his thing from right hash would open up play action.

I think we be set for couple years....all hinges on Shell in training camp and PS though.

Poor Petty.  Looks like IR again

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I thought he said "he's a RT for now"?

Shell played LT all through training camp and PS last offseason and he did not look bad.  yes he got beat but what rookie LT doesnt and Petty was hurt by a late hit that was never called.

Bowles was asked if Ijalana will play left or right tackle, and he replied, "It depends on the competition between Beachum and Shell," whom he said is "a right tackle right now."

Wait, what?

Beachum, who hasn't played right tackle since 2013, was thought to be locked in at left tackle. Reading between the lines, Bowles probably is leaving his options open in the event they draft a starting-caliber left tackle. It wouldn't happen with the No. 6 pick, but one could be available in a trade-down scenario.

Know this: Beachum will be starting somewhere. He didn't get a $12 million guarantee to sit on the bench.

5 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Shell played LT all through training camp and PS last offseason and he did not look bad.  yes he got beat but what rookie LT doesnt and Petty was hurt by a late hit that was never called.

Bowles was asked if Ijalana will play left or right tackle, and he replied, "It depends on the competition between Beachum and Shell," whom he said is "a right tackle right now."

Wait, what?

Beachum, who hasn't played right tackle since 2013, was thought to be locked in at left tackle. Reading between the lines, Bowles probably is leaving his options open in the event they draft a starting-caliber left tackle. It wouldn't happen with the No. 6 pick, but one could be available in a trade-down scenario.

Know this: Beachum will be starting somewhere. He didn't get a $12 million guarantee to sit on the bench.

Yeah I know he played LT last PS but he really struggled and many people here wanted to cut him (I'm sure they are silent now). His one yr he played in college at LT he struggled too.  Maybe a few yrs down the road, with experience, he might be able to switch to LT like Fabini. But for now IMO Jets should just see if he can play RT in the NFL

32 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

That would be amazing if it happens. I was pissed that we traded up for Shell when we did because 1) I knew the pick was going to be a very HIGH 4th and 2) I didn't think Shell was a LT prospect, but RT only. But if the kid can actually play LT and can do so effectively a high 4th round pick would be an absolute steal.

A mid fifth and a high fourth the next year is a steal for a good RT.  If Shell is a good RT it will be a great help. 

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Yeah I know he played LT last PS but he really struggled and many people here wanted to cut him (I'm sure they are silent now). His one yr he played in college at LT he struggled too.  Maybe a few yrs down the road, with experience, he might be able to switch to LT like Fabini. But for now IMO Jets should just see if he can play RT in the NFL

since when has ANYONE here been right?

anywho we shall see - we will get an idea towards end of TC and beginning of PS

5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

A mid fifth and a high fourth the next year is a steal for a good RT.  If Shell is a good RT it will be a great help. 

make no mistake he was drafted to be LT or back up LT and that is where they played him all offseason to learn.  It was only out of need they played him at RT.

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

LOL. Okay then. 

I think the Jets will draft a developmental LT in the 3rd round (like Garcia or Holden). So that will change the competition a bit. You also seem to be forgetting Ijalana. Shell will not only see competition from the rookie, but from Ijalana and Qvale- two guys that, essentially beat him out last year. This is assuming Beachem gets hurt or does not solidify himself as the starting LT.

Yes, it would be nice to get a good every down TE. I'm not nec. against drafting OJ Howard. But I kind of doubt with the depth of TEs in this draft, that the Jets will take him at 6. And barring a trade down (or up), they will have to- otherwise he will be off the board by the time they pick in the second round. I think it would be safer to assume they go for a guy like Sprinkle, Kittle or Leggett.  

Yes, I m not against bringing in a RB. Although, again, I doubt they will take one early. Maybe the 5th? Maybe even later. They currently have Powell, Forte (who they are financially tied to) and a slew of young backups who will be fighting for that 3rd RB spot. Drafting a RB early (1st 3 rounds) makes absolutely no sense- unless you are getting a guy like Cook or Fournette and they are too good to pass up at the pick.   

Toth is not an upgrade over W.Johnson. I repeat, Toth is NOT going to be an upgrade. Not right off the bat at least. Obviously, you never know how a player will develop, but you cannot assume Toth with be any good in the NFL. He's not even a top 5 C prospect, IMO. But I'm not a scout, so wtf do I know.

Petty may win the job, but I am praying Hack wins the job. I pretty much know what Petty brings to the table. Hack has a bigger upside and I want to see what he can do as a starter, for a full season.    

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

LOL. Okay then. 

I think the Jets will draft a developmental LT in the 3rd round (like Garcia or Holden). So that will change the competition a bit. You also seem to be forgetting Ijalana. Shell will not only see competition from the rookie, but from Ijalana and Qvale- two guys that, essentially beat him out last year. This is assuming Beachem gets hurt or does not solidify himself as the starting LT.

Yes, it would be nice to get a good every down TE. I'm not nec. against drafting OJ Howard. But I kind of doubt with the depth of TEs in this draft, that the Jets will take him at 6. And barring a trade down (or up), they will have to- otherwise he will be off the board by the time they pick in the second round. I think it would be safer to assume they go for a guy like Sprinkle, Kittle or Leggett.  

Yes, I m not against bringing in a RB. Although, again, I doubt they will take one early. Maybe the 5th? Maybe even later. They currently have Powell, Forte (who they are financially tied to) and a slew of young backups who will be fighting for that 3rd RB spot. Drafting a RB early (1st 3 rounds) makes absolutely no sense- unless you are getting a guy like Cook or Fournette and they are too good to pass up at the pick.   

Toth is not an upgrade over W.Johnson. I repeat, Toth is NOT going to be an upgrade. Not right off the bat at least. Obviously, you never know how a player will develop, but you cannot assume Toth with be any good in the NFL. He's not even a top 5 C prospect, IMO. But I'm not a scout, so wtf do I know.

Petty may win the job, but I am praying Hack wins the job. I pretty much know what Petty brings to the table. Hack has a bigger upside and I want to see what he can do as a starter, for a full season.    

Any OL drafted this year would not impact Shell or Beachum as I think one way or the other they will start.  As far as Ben goes I think he could be good insurance in case Shell falters at either side or Beachum gets hurt but I do not think he will start so I left him out.  Qvale sucks - i went back and watched a few games where he started and he was bad...experiment over.

and as far as the draft, I have no idea what they are going to do.  I dont think anyone does which is really good thing.  I like to do the mock draft thing cause it familiarizes me with those day 2-3 players and I also follow college ball so I like to predict those who will get drafted not just by Jets.  At the end of day though my impression of Macc is they usually end up doing what they said they will do.  In this case I see that as using this draft to get as many day 1 contributers as possible and let the young QB fight it out.

My main point in all this though is IF Shell got the chance and IF he succeeds than that just opens open a lot of opportunity on offence because I see Beachun as potentially a really good RT who could open up a good running game for a young QB.

as far as RB i absolutely believe they need to get a good one in this draft.  I have no confidence in Forte making it through the season and he just seemed lame and slow to me when he was healthy and Powell also getting up there in years has had injury concerns himself.  He is also on small side. after those 2 the Jets have nobody worth mention.

agree to disagree on Toth though and I did not even suggest he play in 2017.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If Cordy Glenn can be a Pro Bowl LT, Brandon Shell could swap over there one day. It's not likely but it's possible. 

Shell does not need to be Pro bowl LT .....just average in my opinion...thats why I think a good TE is essential and a good back who can pick up a blitz er.

9 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Shell does not need to be Pro bowl LT .....just average in my opinion...thats why I think a good TE is essential and a good back who can pick up a blitz er.

Powell can pick up blitzes well enough. Doesn't mean he is a future starter, just that the ability is there.

Archived