Where Do the Jets Stand Heading into Day 3

JetNation

USATSI_7904556_158813650_lowres.jpg

The Jets traded their 3rd round compensatory pick and have drafted three players the first two days. This is where they currently select on day three:

Day3.png

What are the biggest needs? We can rule out safety after the Jets selected and Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in the first two rounds. The future isn’t looking bright for Marcus Gilchrist and Calvin Pryor though. The odds are looking long that either player will be on the Jets roster next season. Although Maccagnan says Pryor could return. Which is exactly what you would say about a player that you were trying to trade.

On day three the best available player goes out the window a bit and you see more positional needs selected. For the Jets the biggest glaring whole that can be addressed on day three is at tight end. Offensive line depth and a cornerback are very realistic options as well. Edge rusher? Running back? Definitely possible.

With Ardarius Stewart being selected in the 3rd round it is unlikely the Jets will select another wideout on Saturday.

What do you think of the NY Jets draft so far? We want to hear from you!

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
1ZH5b1VU9Mg

Click here to read the full story...

Wow, I just woke up about an hour ago and missed the draft. We really drafted another defensive player in the 2nd round, and a safety at that. 

What's worse is that S Obi Melifonwu was still on the board and he ultimately went to the Raiders. 

This is why the Raiders have such talent. Their GM see's good talent and drafts it. I have to review Marcus Maye but I've never heard of him. How do you leave a 6'4 athletic freak like Melifonwu on the board if you were going to go safety again?

I also think it's great that the Jets ranked 30th in offense last season with the worst TE situation in the league and we took WR Ardarius Stewart, a guy who wasnt the best WR on the board at that. 

This has to be the most depressing draft I've seen in a while. Hackenberg wont have anything to lean on and he'll be a waste of a 2nd round pick due to poor development. And that's if he's ever able to throw a pass in a regular season game. Congratulations to us Jets fans from our Front Office. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Wow, I just woke up about an hour ago and missed the draft. We really drafted another defensive player in the 2nd round, and a safety at that. 

What's worse is that S Obi Melifonwu was still on the board and he ultimately went to the Raiders. 

This is why the Raiders have such talent. Their GM see's good talent and drafts it. I have to review Marcus Maye but I've never heard of him. How do you leave a 6'4 athletic freak like Milifonwu on the board if you were going to go safety again. 

I also think it's great that the Jets ranked 30th in offense last season with the worst TE situation in the league and we took WR Ardarius Stewart, a guy who wasnt the best WR on the board at that. 

This has to be the most depressing draft I've seen in a while. Hackenberg wont have anything to lean on and he'll be a waste of a 2nd round pick due to poor development. And that's if he ever able to throw a pass in a regular season game. Congratulations to us Jets fans from our Front Office. 

The Fix is in, the Tanks is on!

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

The Fix is in, the Tanks is on!

No way in the world could anyone convince me that Ardarius Stewart is a better WR than Dede Westbrook. 

Luckily the TE I would like the Jets to draft is still available. But if you're going to go WR Westbrook was right there for the taking. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No way in the world could anyone convince me that Ardarius Stewart is a better WR than Dede Westbrook. 

Luckily the TE I would like the Jets to draft is still available. But if you're going to go WR Westbrook was right there for the taking. 

My head hurts with these picks, I have no idea WTF is going on. We now have a ton of camp fodder picks late in the draft. Instead of just picking the obvious talent, that's right In front of your nose. Who are instant up grades on the dross we already have.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Apparently the rest of the NFL doesn't think much of Westbrook either. There was a nice run on WR's in rd 3 and he's still on the board. You make it sound like Macc is the only Gm that passed on this guy.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Apparently the rest of the NFL doesn't think much of Westbrook either. There was a nice run on WR's in rd 3 and he's still on the board. You make it sound like Macc is the only Gm that passed on this guy.

It doesnt matter what the rest of the NFL thinks of a player that they may/may not need/want. At the end of the day Im talking about the Jets pick and making a comparison between the guy we took and the guys still on the board. You dont know what the rest of the NFL thinks of Stewart and Westbrook given that no other NFL GM drafted Stewart over Westbrook. 

Bringing the thought of the entire NFL makes no sense when you dont know yourself. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

22 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It doesnt matter what the rest of the NFL thinks of a player that they may/may not need/want. At the end of the day Im talking about the Jets pick and making a comparison between the guy we took and the guys still on the board. You dont know what the rest of the NFL thinks of Stewart and Westbrook given that no other NFL GM drafted Stewart over Westbrook. 

Bringing the thought of the entire NFL makes no sense when you dont know yourself. 

Villain, there are character issues with this guy. That's why he dropped. Didn't he blow off a meeting, or show up late for one? 

Just now, section314 said:

Villain, there are character issues with this guy. That's why he dropped. Didn't he blow off a meeting, or show up late for one? 

This is a better response. Something that you know that you brought to the table that I can consume. Saying what the entire NFL knows when you cant confirm that is just a waste of time. 

As for the issues, I dont know of any. What are his issues, or are you referring to a missed meeting/showing up late to a meeting as him having issues?  If so I'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt. These guys are traveling all over the country since the end of the college season doing workouts, interviews etc. You never know if it was a flight issue for example. When you're in that position and you're only staying in a city for 6 or 7 hours to meet a team only to find yourself preparing for another flight in order to stay in the next city for 6 or 7 hours to make another meeting, sometimes things can happen. 

Im not saying that this happened, but I also didnt hear about any issues with him...or anything that was meaningful to be common knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

6 picks.

Get a pass-catching TE.

A RB.  

At least one O-Lineman.

A Cornerback.

Another Cornerback.

And QB Nathan Peterman wouldn't be horrible now in the mid-rounds.

You've been on fire this week. 

If the Jets can pick up George Kittle, Nathan Peterman and Samanje Perine it would be a most epic rebound. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is a better response. Something that you know that you brought to the table that I can consume. Saying what the entire NFL knows when you cant confirm that is just a waste of time. 

As for the issues, I dont know of any. What are his issues, or are you referring to a missed meeting/showing up late to a meeting as him having issues?  If so I'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt. These guys are traveling all over the country since the end of the college season doing workouts, interviews etc. You never know if it was a flight issue for example. When you're in that position and you're only staying in a city for 6 or 7 hours to meet a team only to find yourself preparing for another flight in order to stay in the next city for 6 or 7 hours to make another meeting, sometimes things can happen. 

Im not saying that this happened, but I also didnt hear about any issues with him...or anything that was meaningful to be common knowledge. 

Arrested twice for domestic violence....declined invitation to senior bowl.....refused to participate in drills at combine.....interviews at combine were horrible, many teams felt he was untruthful and hiding things.  Sources; Google search on DeDe Westbrook character issues.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Arrested twice for domestic violence....declined invitation to senior bowl.....refused to participate in drills at combine.....interviews at combine were horrible, many teams felt he was untruthful and hiding things.  Sources; Google search on DeDe Westbrook character issues.

I guess Maccagnans wife made the WR pick lol. 

Seriously though, Thanks for bringing this to the table. I never heard of this at all. I just googled it. that's crazy. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I guess Maccagnans wife made the WR pick lol. 

Seriously though, Thanks for bringing this to the table. I never heard of this at all. I just googled it. that's crazy. 

Np. They really have to have their doubts, especially since Mixon got picked in the 2nd. 

Archived