Breer On The Jets

KRL

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, I kinda thought that was the point.  You hire a coach who has certain coaching philosophies.  Why would a GM go out and get, say, 4-3 lineman when the coach you hire exclusively runs a 3-4?  This would make no sense. 

Precisely. 

That's like saying our coach runs a zone blocking offensive scheme but it's perfectly fine to draft a bunch of olineman that are best fitted for man blocking simply because they're considered "good" or "higher on the board" than another player. Man blocking is rather simplistic given that you pretty much block the guy in front of you, but a zone blocking scheme is about responsibility and more importantly identifying who your responsibility is from Dlineman in front of you to the Mike/Will behind them depending on how the play unfolds. Some guys are great at zone blocking because they have that understanding and can really thrive at it. Some guys are great man blockers because they simply that that brute force and strength but may not have the agility or maybe just cant get down the zone concept. It's the same thing with running backs. You need to have a running back who thrive in a zone scheme or a power-man scheme. 

Trying to put a guy like Leonard Fournette in a zone scheme with the QB in a shotgun position with no Fullback to lead the way may be a disservice to his actual ability. Do you still take him because he's rated higher than a guy like McCaffery that has a much better understanding of the zone running scheme, has the patience and the ability to bounce it outside much more efficiently, but on the same token may not be nearly as powerful as like a Fournette in a power-man scheme? 

This is my problem with BPA, which is similar to when teams were converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and figured "We can just take a 4-3 DE and convert him to an 3-4 OLB" More often than not that sh*t failed and it wasnt necessarily because the player didnt have talent. It's that the scheme didnt fit the player....so whats the best thing to do in such a situation? Get players that fit the scheme. 

This "one way and only way" to do things is pretty off. People expect coaches to fit their scheme around the players, and I generally agree, but when you have a HC that's on his first gig that's kinda hard to do. The only thing that he may know is his own scheme because he really doesnt have a huge history as a defensive coordinator for example. The majority of his history has been as a positions coach. It's not like the guy is a seasoned coach. I can bring up Pete Carroll again in this scenario. Back when he was our coach things werent going right. He left, went back to the college ranks sharpened his HC skills, learned some things about the game not just from the perspective as a positions coach but as a HC that has to over see everything, he learned more about particular skillsets and what works and doesnt work. When he got his next opportunity in Seattle he's become one of the best coaches in the entire league. 

Todd Bowles is a child in such a comparison. The man must learn as a HC just like rookie players have to learn as professionals. The same goes for our GM who's most important NFL position before that was the head of scouting. Like....seriously, the head of scouting and went straight to being a GM. There will be a learning curve there, such as how to negotiate with sharks lol. He's been doing a poor ass job on that front for the most part, but he's learning. 

Jets fans need to calm down. It's been a week since the Draft. It's over now. 

41 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The two can go hand in hand JoJo....

If Hack works out...GREAT!  We have a franchsie QB.

BUT, if he fails.....it will be of epic proportion.  He does that, we will be in line to draft one of those studs coming out next year. 

The key will be Hack playing this year.  That could be part of the reason the Jets had to over-pay for McCown.  He might not have wanted to come here for $2 knowing he was riding the pine.  BUT...couple of extra million cushions his azz a little more while sitting on the bench.

ehh...I don't think it's that big of deal if Hack's not the man....it's not like we pulled a Rams/Bears type draft move in the first round to get the kid.

10 minutes ago, peebag said:

ehh...I don't think it's that big of deal if Hack's not the man....it's not like we pulled a Rams/Bears type draft move in the first round to get the kid.

This. Been saying this since the pick. It wasn't a first round pick, and we didnt trade up to get him. We took a shot. Now we have to pull a Carolina. Give their 2nd round pick (Jimmy Clausen) shot at starting all year.

He'll either be the guy or put us in position to draft our Cam Newton the next draft.

50 minutes ago, peebag said:

Oh, I agree Peebag....But we have to see what we have.  WHO KNOWS!  Maybe he is good.  But if not, we will be set up to take one of (probably) 5 VERY GOOD QB prospects next year.

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Oh, I agree Peebag....But we have to see what we have.  WHO KNOWS!  Maybe he is good.  But if not, we will be set up to take one of (probably) 5 VERY GOOD QB prospects next year.

agreed - we cannot have McCown start. Period.  It has to be the two young QBs. 

19 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think Mccown and Bates "crossed paths" as a QB coach. 

Jeremy Bates 

2005 New York Jets (QB)

2006 Denver Broncos (OA)

2007 Denver Broncos (WR/QB)

2008 Denver Broncos (QB)

2009 USC (AHC/QB)

2010 Seattle Seahawks (OC)

2012 Chicago Bears (QB)

Josh McCown

San Francisco 49ers (2011)  * Offseason and/or practice squad member only

Chicago Bears (2011–2013)

John Morton