Breer On The Jets

KRL

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I think it's possible.  Watch them play.  Maye is a much better athlete than Adams.

To me Jamal Adams is like Deion Jones, also from LSU. Not as athletic but has a leadership about him.

This is why I wanted Adams over Hooker. 

The Jets wanted a leader for their secondary and they got that in Adams . What followed was finding a player who was as close to Adams as was humanly possible that allows the blitzing scheme of Bowles it's deception .

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if 2nd year Hackenberg couldn't beat out "terrible" prospects like Watson or Mahomes as rookies, that's a reflection on Hackenberg. the rumblings are already starting that McCown is going to start. If Hack can't beat out bum of all bums Josh McCown that's a reflection on Hackenberg. 

Competition is what makes these guys good. Protecting the players by limiting competition doesn't help anyone.

Just once, I want the Jets to let the QB's truly compete with each other and earn the job like they do at other positions. Maybe that will happen this season but it hasn't happened for a really long time.  

how can there be rumblings when they barely even started throwing the ball?

You know, I read the title as "Beer on the Jets" and read through the first few responses going, "Where is the beer part?", lol.  

I love the Adams pick, best player available, leader, and everything the Jets needed.

I don't get the Maye pick, because he's really not a center fielder safety at all.  Scouting reports have him as weak on deep passes, and Florida had a ton of CB talent the last two years.  How much can you attribute it to the system, rather than Maye?  If you have Hargraves, Wilson, Tabor as corners, how much risk can you take, that you otherwise can not?  Not to mention Neal as well.  And they had good linebackers as well with Davis and Morrison last year.  

I would have much rather have them pick Sidney Jones (risk pick, but with our talent level, we need to take some risks for studs), Wilson (Press man cover- fits system), Tabor (An idiot it seems, but talented as a press man and no idea why he's timed so slow- although so was Josh Norman) or Awuzie (If you are going for potential).  

If you still wanted defense, Zach Cunningham was sitting right there as well.  On offense, of course Cook, Kamara, Samuel, Mixon, all there as well.   

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

1)  I simply do not believe that Maye was the bpa at that pick

2)  Building a team to suit Todd bowels is a monumental mistake of epic proportions.

I like to mock draft too and look at the tape on draftbreakdown and maybe youtube if not there and I watch a lot of college football because well i love football

I also like to try to value players and do mock drafts 1 out of pure boredom and no football and 2 because it familiarizes myself with all the players in the lower rounds and makes the actual draft day fun

with all that said I dont see how anyone outside of actual scouts and teams can even make a statement like

after a draft is complete

9 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I like to mock draft too and look at the tape on draftbreakdown and maybe youtube if not there and I watch a lot of college football because well i love football

I also like to try to value players and do mock drafts 1 out of pure boredom and no football and 2 because it familiarizes myself with all the players in the lower rounds and makes the actual draft day fun

with all that said I dont see how anyone outside of actual scouts and teams can even make a statement like

First of all, I was as shocked as anyone when I heard about the pick.  At first I thought someone was trolling Twitter hard.

Now looking at the board at the time of that pick, the only two guys with clearly higher grades were Cook and Mixon, both of whom were available because of character concerns which the Jets appear to have been working to avoid. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:2

Gerald Evans (TE) had a slightly higher grade and you could argue was a need pick, but reading up on him, it wasn't clear cut to me.  You could argue there were a lot of guys with similar potential there but I don't see an obvious BPA who was better than Maye for what the Jets want to do this season.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

First of all, I was as shocked as anyone when I heard about the pick.  At first I thought someone was trolling Twitter hard.

Now looking at the board at the time of that pick, the only two guys with clearly higher grades were Cook and Mixon, both of whom were available because of character concerns which the Jets appear to have been working to avoid. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:2

Gerald Evans (TE) had a slightly higher grade and you could argue was a need pick, but reading up on him, it wasn't clear cut to me.  You could argue there were a lot of guys with similar potential there but I don't see an obvious BPA who was better than Maye for what the Jets want to do this season.

I actually preferred Cunningham...but what do I know - I am just a fan I know at the end of the day I have no clue who is actually the best.

53 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

That's simple, because you believe what you have not seen and you don't listen to anyone .     

Huh?  I've seen Bryce Petty, he's terrible.  I've seen the coaching staff not allow Hack to play Football.  I dont need anyone to tell me that.  I also see a veteran signed for good money who has familiarity with the system and specifically the OC. 

5 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I actually preferred Cunningham...but what do I know - I am just a fan I know at the end of the day I have no clue who is actually the best.

You may well be right on that in the end.  He's listed at about the same weight as Darron Lee was last year though so I can only imagine the reprise of 'Tiny Linebacker' comments we'd have had to endure. 

Just now, nycdan said:

You may well be right on that in the end.  He's listed at about the same weight as Darron Lee was last year though so I can only imagine the reprise of 'Tiny Linebacker' comments we'd have had to endure. 

yeah but diff with him is i didnt think he would come in and start - he needs 1 offseason to get in the workout room.

43 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Again, Hack wasn't supposed to see the field last year. They said that from day 1. Not sure why some of you can't wait until Camp before sticking a nail on Hack's career. I am not expecting him to be good, but to write him off already is just stupid and typical SOJF nonsense. 

Who's writing him off?  It's possible he's could win the job. I sure hope he does.  However, the likelihood of a player who was not allowed to play Football last year suddenly rising up and winning the starting job in the offseason vs. a veteran familiar with the new system is about as far of a reach as you could possibly make.

If I were running the team, McCown wouldnt see the field for a single snap on the entire year.  Unfortunately for you, I'm not running the team and you're going to have to deal with McCown until you dont. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Huh?  I've seen Bryce Petty, he's terrible.  I've seen the coaching staff not allow Hack to play Football.  I dont need anyone to tell me that.  I also see a veteran signed for good money who has familiarity with the system and specifically the OC. 

The good money is exactly why he wont see the field.

Contract Notes:

• Incentives: $7M ($500,000 LTBE)
    50% snaps in a game: $125,000 (max $2M)
    Playoff Bonus (with 65% playing time): $2M
    Super Bowl (with 65% playing time): $1.5M
    Super Bowl Win: $1.5M

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

You have seen the system our OC is going to run and  seen our 3 QBs orchestrate it and you tell me your eyes are not lying  ?

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

OK now you're making stuff up to justify your stance on taking two safeties. Despite his awful mechanics and daredevil plays, Mahomes is very accurate.

"stance on taking two safeties"

lol, good grief

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Who's writing him off?  It's possible he's could win the job. I sure hope he does.  However, the likelihood of a player who was not allowed to play Football last year suddenly rising up and winning the starting job in the offseason vs. a veteran familiar with the new system is about as far of a reach as you could possibly make.

If I were running the team, McCown wouldnt see the field for a single snap on the entire year.  Unfortunately for you, I'm not running the team and you're going to have to deal with McCown until you dont. 

Oh yea? 

Well, if I were running the team I wouldn't even have signed McCown. I would have given all of our cap room to Tony Jefferson. Then I would have drafted 9 safeties.

Because "stance on taking two safeties".

Just now, Tinstar said:

You have seen the system our OC is going to run and  seen our 3 QBs orchestrate it and you tell me your eyes are not lying  ?

You're right.  I havent had a chance to see what nobody has had a chance to see.  Therefore, the guy not good enough to see the field and the other guy who couldnt hit wide open WR's are going to magically become awesome and beat out the veteran familiar with the system. 

I take back saying that McCown will be the starter.  No I'm just anxiously awaiting the competition and the mystery around who will be victorious. 

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh yea? 

Well, if I were running the team I wouldn't even have signed McCown. I would have given all of our cap room to Tony Jefferson. Then I would have drafted 9 safeties.

Because "stance on taking two safeties".

I was all ride or die with Petty and Hack.  Signing McCown was stupid.  Much rather have safeties galore. 

Just now, JiF said:

You're right.  I havent had a chance to see what nobody has had a chance to see.  Therefore, the guy not good enough to see the field and the other guy who couldnt hit wide open WR's are going to magically become awesome and beat out the veteran familiar with the system. 

I take back saying that McCown will be the starter.  No I'm just anxiously awaiting the competition and the mystery around who will be victorious. 

Liar .

Also, why do you think McCown is familiar with the system of a 1st time OC .

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Who are we supposed to build the team for?

I agree with the 1st part. There were better players imo at the time than Maye, but if we don't build the team in the draft to reflect what the HC wants to do then WTF are we doing? 

I generally didn't like it but if it works giving the man what he needs then isn't that what we all want?

Get the best player possible in the positions that have proven to make you win and that any team and coach requires.  It is then up to the brainiac coach to make a system to fit the best players. 

Why?

#1 coaches come and go quick in this league, once that coach goes the next guy comes in and you are now getting rid of one type of player to get the next type of player.

#2 system fads get figured out the league is malleable and constantly changes.  The small hybrid safeties you get now will be exposed when teams stress other parts of the game in the future.

#3 specific to the Jets, Todd Bowles proved 100% last year that his system comes before players.  We don;t have a pass rush?  no worries! We don;t need pass rushers we will scheme a pass rush because i am so smart!  Players who are play makers are suddenly paralyzed by a system.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Get the best player possible in the positions that have proven to make you win and that any team and coach requires.  It is then up to the brainiac coach to make a system to fit the best players. 

Why?

#1 coaches come and go quick in this league, once that coach goes the next guy comes in and you are now getting rid of one type of player to get the next type of player.

#2 system fads get figured out the league is malleable and constantly changes.  The small hybrid safeties you get now will be exposed when teams stress other parts of the game in the future.

#3 specific to the Jets, Todd Bowles proved 100% last year that his system comes before players.  We don;t have a pass rush?  no worries! We don;t need pass rushers we will scheme a pass rush because i am so smart!  Players who are play makers are suddenly paralyzed by a system.

they are small?

50 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Why?  We are allowed to say so and so is a good pick i am happy but not so and so is a bad pick.  The Scouts and gms have to make that call now and so should we.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Yes hybrids we are talking Bowles great system of having his deion buchanon etc.  so yes they are small if taking in a fullback and then leoard fournette

actually Maye stopped Fournette dead in his tracks on one clip I saw and Fournette said himself he was never hit harder than anyone than Adams in one practice.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Dont call me a liar. 

Did they not cross paths at one point? 

McCown had our current QB coach as his QG coach with the bears, but I don't think he was ever with Morton . He played so many places I could be wrong thou . No malice intended with the liar comment. I just thought your comment was full of sarcasm .

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

McCown had our current QB coach as his QG coach with the bears, but I don't think he was ever with Morton . He played so many places I could be wrong thou . No malice intended with the liar comment. I just thought your comment was full of sarcasm .

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think Mccown and Bates "crossed paths" as a QB coach. 

Yep.  QB coach.  My bad.  

Archived