Breer On The Jets

KRL

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Get the best player possible in the positions that have proven to make you win and that any team and coach requires.  It is then up to the brainiac coach to make a system to fit the best players. 

Why?

#1 coaches come and go quick in this league, once that coach goes the next guy comes in and you are now getting rid of one type of player to get the next type of player.

#2 system fads get figured out the league is malleable and constantly changes.  The small hybrid safeties you get now will be exposed when teams stress other parts of the game in the future.

#3 specific to the Jets, Todd Bowles proved 100% last year that his system comes before players.  We don;t have a pass rush?  no worries! We don;t need pass rushers we will scheme a pass rush because i am so smart!  Players who are play makers are suddenly paralyzed by a system.

This doesnt make any sense, you're basically saying that Bowles and the front office should always draft in a "general sense" given that coaches come and go. Lets be serious here, the going part isnt their responsibility. If they were fired then they dont have to give a rats ass what they left for the guy(s) coming to take over. 

If you have a scheme and the players dont fit the scheme then you find guys who do. You know who did exactly that? Pete Carroll. When Pete Carroll was building that defense he didnt necessarily care about who others thought were the best players. When he was trying to build that cover 3 defense there were certain guys that he needed, so he sought them out. He drafted some of them early, late, some were undrafted, some were imported from Canada etc. He built the team around his scheme. 

Getting a whole bunch of great pieces means nothing if you cant put them together. Again, im not disagreeing with the first part of your statement in regards to better players being on the board at different positions. I agree, with that said though, I have to look at the draft for what it was given that it's now over. To sit here and say that a coach shouldnt draft to fit his needs and what he wants to do schematically makes no sense and you know it. You're still a bit hot over this draft and I feel the pain, I seriously understand it. But what I cant do is to beat up on Macc/Bowles for things that they're supposed to do. Signing Fitz to 12 million with the added bonus of having to wait the entire summer was ridiculous. Totally stupid move by the GM. Announcing Fitz as the starter while he's a free agent...stupid move by the coach. However, signing guys that can do what you need to have done on the field? That's a good move. If his defense/offense requires certain types of talent then its their duty to go get it. Either that or continue watching Calvin Pryor get exposed in Man-to-Man coverage against TE's, or taking bad angles in the box or over running a play deep down field. 

I have no problem given them heat for their stupidity, however that isnt one of them. I most definitely disagreed with the positions that were taken early on, however I have no problems with the players themselves because at the end of the day, we still need those players because they fill holes. 

I remember a thread I responded to and my response ultimately stated that "All I want from this draft is 2-3 starters, I dont care where it is exactly but for as long as they are quality starters". Well guess what, I didnt like the fact that Macc/Bowles took Safety back to back then followed that up with WR back to back. But if that decision means that we have two quality starting safeties day 1 and a starter quality WR...whether a #1,#2 or #3...then in all reality I got what I asked for. 

In otherwords, I've calmed down and looked at the situation for what it is. Instead of me continuing on with what I wanted to happen I accepted what they did and im looking at the best possible scenario...and yes, there is one. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

I actually preferred Cunningham...but what do I know - I am just a fan I know at the end of the day I have no clue who is actually the best.

I heard him described as more of a 4-3 OLB in the pros.

But understanding the best way to build a winning team is to draft players for your system, it is pretty clear that players this year were drafted for Bowles' and Morton's systems.

Thus, if for some reason these guys are no longer coaching the Jets, hopefully these guys work for the new coach.

So as the coaches display competence, I think they are around through 2018.   My guess is that Woody is viewing years 1 and 2 as practice for Macc and Bowles.  Considering that Macc and Bowles were both first timers at their jobs, that is not unreasonable

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This doesnt make any sense, you're basically saying that Bowles and the front office should always draft in a "general sense" given that coaches come and go. Lets be serious here, the going part isnt their responsibility. If they were fired then they dont have to give a rats ass what they left for the guy(s) coming to take over. 

If you have a scheme and the players dont fit the scheme then you find guys who do. You know who did exactly that? Pete Carroll. When Pete Carroll was building that defense he didnt necessarily care about who others thought were the best players. When he was trying to build that cover 3 defense there were certain guys that he needed, so he sought them out. He drafted some of them early, late, some were undrafted, some were imported from Canada etc. He built the team around his scheme. 

Getting a whole bunch of great pieces means nothing if you cant put them together. Again, im not disagreeing with the first part of your statement in regards to better players being on the board at different positions. I agree, with that said though, I have to look at the draft for what it was given that it's now over. To sit here and say that a coach shouldnt draft to fit his needs and what he wants to do schematically makes no sense and you know it. You're still a bit hot over this draft and I feel the pain, I seriously understand it. But what I cant do is to beat up on Macc/Bowles for things that they're supposed to do. Signing Fitz to 12 million with the added bonus of having to wait the entire summer was ridiculous. Totally stupid move by the GM. Announcing Fitz as the starter while he's a free agent...stupid move by the coach. However, signing guys that can do what you need to have done on the field? That's a good move. If his defense/offense requires certain types of talent then its their duty to go get it. Either that or continue watching Calvin Pryor get exposed in Man-to-Man coverage against TE's, or taking bad angles in the box or over running a play deep down field. 

I have no problem given them heat for their stupidity, however that isnt one of them. I most definitely disagreed with the positions that were taken early on, however I have no problems with the players themselves because at the end of the day, we still need those players because they fill holes. 

I remember a thread I responded to and my response ultimately stated that "All I want from this draft is 2-3 starters, I dont care where it is exactly but for as long as they are quality starters". Well guess what, I didnt like the fact that Macc/Bowles took Safety back to back then followed that up with WR back to back. But if that decision means that we have two quality starting safeties day 1 and a starter quality WR...whether a #1,#2 or #3...then in all reality I got what I asked for. 

In otherwords, I've calmed down and looked at the situation for what it is. Instead of me continuing on with what I wanted to happen I accepted what they did and im looking at the best possible scenario...and yes, there is one. 

If Pete Carrol left tomorrow the Seahawks would still have a quality defense because they draft the best players and let them be players.

Houston as well.

System head coaches like bowles and rex before him are the 'grand architects' of their defense.  We drafted Lee because we needed a special kind of linebacker, not an outside pass rusher not a run stopping thumper like Harris but a guy with a special skill set.

We just drafted two safeties because our coach likes to fiddle with his safeties.

On top of it all the Jets were counter to the value of the draft.  'this draft is super deep in the secondary, lots of safeties and CBS.' so we promptly use our 1st two rounds on safety.

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Get the best player possible in the positions that have proven to make you win and that any team and coach requires.  It is then up to the brainiac coach to make a system to fit the best players. 

Why?

#1 coaches come and go quick in this league, once that coach goes the next guy comes in and you are now getting rid of one type of player to get the next type of player.

#2 system fads get figured out the league is malleable and constantly changes.  The small hybrid safeties you get now will be exposed when teams stress other parts of the game in the future.

#3 specific to the Jets, Todd Bowles proved 100% last year that his system comes before players.  We don;t have a pass rush?  no worries! We don;t need pass rushers we will scheme a pass rush because i am so smart!  Players who are play makers are suddenly paralyzed by a system.

Show me 1 NFL team that doesn't have their coaching staff and GM collaborate on the drafting process. The notion here that the Jets are doing something "stupid' is a ridiculous piece of crap made up by beat writers looker for a story or disgruntled armchair GM SOJ fans.  Its when a coach is allowed to bully a GM like Rex did with Tanny that you end up with issues. We have no reason to believe either McCags or Bowles is controlling the other , its just pure speculation .

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If Pete Carrol left tomorrow the Seahawks would still have a quality defense because they draft the best players and let them be players.

Houston as well.

System head coaches like bowles and rex before him are the 'grand architects' of their defense.  We drafted Lee because we needed a special kind of linebacker, not an outside pass rusher not a run stopping thumper like Harris but a guy with a special skill set.

We just drafted two safeties because our coach likes to fiddle with his safeties.

On top of it all the Jets were counter to the value of the draft.  'this draft is super deep in the secondary, lots of safeties and CBS.' so we promptly use our 1st two rounds on safety.

You're nitpicking right now. We drafted Leo Williams because he was considered the best player in the draft and had nothing to do with Bowles scheme. The Jets just drafted Jamal Adams because they felt like he was the one of the top 2 best players in the draft, but it just so happened that we also needed safety help. 2 seasons later we're in position to be able to move on from Richardson and cut Wilkerson at the end of the season if we want to. Also, Big Cat has lived up to the hype. Macc took a guy that had what was considered the best talent in the draft BECAUSE he was the best talent in the draft. Macc has picked 1st round picks 3 times so far. 2 of those 3 picks made went to guys that were considered the best player in the draft (Williams, Adams) and the 3rd went scheme (Lee). Adams just so happens to work given that we needed a safety. Im more upset about us not going offense, but I do understand trying to make sure that if anything you ALWAYS hit on your 1st round pick. When you take a LB with the 20th pick that fits what you're trying to do, it beats taking a LB that doesnt fit what you're trying to do. I dont understand your argument. 

Also, because this draft was so deep in the secondary you seen a bunch of DB's go off the board....EARLY. It wasnt like the entire league sat on the DB's because the class was deep. Everyone had their hand in that cookie jar. 

Did I like that we went safety in the 2nd round? No. But im not going to sit here and blame Bowles for trying to put on the field skillsets that can execute his defense. That's just hating for no reason at that point. 

31 minutes ago, varjet said:

I heard him described as more of a 4-3 OLB in the pros.

But understanding the best way to build a winning team is to draft players for your system, it is pretty clear that players this year were drafted for Bowles' and Morton's systems.

Thus, if for some reason these guys are no longer coaching the Jets, hopefully these guys work for the new coach.

So as the coaches display competence, I think they are around through 2018.   My guess is that Woody is viewing years 1 and 2 as practice for Macc and Bowles.  Considering that Macc and Bowles were both first timers at their jobs, that is not unreasonable

I liked that Film room video he did on him and I agreed with him on Cunningham could be a Mike in a 3/4

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You're nitpicking right now. We drafted Leo Williams because he was considered the best player in the draft and had nothing to do with Bowles scheme. The Jets just drafted Jamal Adams because they felt like he was the one of the top 2 best players in the draft, but it just so happened that we also needed safety help. 2 seasons later we're in position to be able to move on from Richardson and cut Wilkerson at the end of the season if we want to. Also, Big Cat has lived up to the hype. Macc took a guy that had what was considered the best talent in the draft BECAUSE he was the best talent in the draft. Macc has picked 1st round picks 3 times so far. 2 of those 3 picks made went to guys that were considered the best player in the draft (Williams, Adams) and the 3rd went scheme (Lee). Adams just so happens to work given that we needed a safety. Im more upset about us not going offense, but I do understand trying to make sure that if anything you ALWAYS hit on your 1st round pick. When you take a LB with the 20th pick that fits what you're trying to do, it beats taking a LB that doesnt fit what you're trying to do. I dont understand your argument. 

Also, because this draft was so deep in the secondary you seen a bunch of DB's go off the board....EARLY. It wasnt like the entire league sat on the DB's because the class was deep. Everyone had their hand in that cookie jar. 

Did I like that we went safety in the 2nd round? No. But im not going to sit here and blame Bowles for trying to put on the field skillsets that can execute his defense. That's just hating for no reason at that point. 

You're wasting your time .

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You're wasting your time .

Probably. I understand his frustration but someone has to tell him that his position is based on his frustration and nothing more. 

Also, I find it weird that when we're not mad at the front office and we talk about rookies we always talk about how it takes 3 years to figure out what a player is, yet when we want to make our front office look bad we're quick to talk about a 1st year player that looked like 1st year player. 

I cant wait to hear about how the 2017 draft class are busts....in 2017. We both know it's going to happen! lol. 

26 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yes Leo was a great pick, Jamal Adams by all reports was a great pick both players who can seem to play in any system and recognized as falling into the Jets lap.  Even better for Adams need met BPA.  Adams has never been the issue for the vast majority of the people here.  Maye is a problem.

Leonrad Williams good pick, BPA fell into our laps.

Devin Smith injury plagued bust who was looked at primarily as a deep threat.

Darron Lee, small speed linebacker, not a pass rusher, not a beefy run stopper, has to be used in a certain way,

Christian Hackneburg big reach on long shot developmental QB.

Jamal Adams, good pick, BPA fell into our laps.

Marcus Maye a bit of a reach re his pre draft rankings, we just drafted a safety, safety is very deep in this draft, Bowles who utterly failed coaching defense lat year wants safeties for his 'system'

It will be fun next year to hear all the people that love these picks bemoan that any D failures are due to no talent on offense and lack of pass rushers.

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Probably. I understand his frustration but someone has to tell him that his position is based on his frustration and nothing more. 

Also, I find it weird that when we're not mad at the front office and we talk about rookies we always talk about how it takes 3 years to figure out what a player is, yet when we want to make our front office look bad we're quick to talk about a 1st year player that looked like 1st year player. 

I cant wait to hear about how the 2017 draft class are busts....in 2017. We both know it's going to happen! lol. 

I would assume the happy happy joy joy club all loved pryor, devin smith, coples, gholston and all felt they were solid moves to improve our rebuilding club.

Once this team actually starts to succeed consistently in their drafts rather than bombs them you will see a heck of a lot more trust.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Yes Leo was a great pick, Jamal Adams by all reports was a great pick both players who can seem to play in any system and recognized as falling into the Jets lap.  Even better for Adams need met BPA.  Adams has never been the issue for the vast majority of the people here.  Maye is a problem.

And most people agree that they didnt expect to go Safety back to back in the first two rounds. Now, getting past that point, is Maye a good player or not? From what I hear he's pretty good and had a 1st round grade on him by many. 

Leonrad Williams good pick, BPA fell into our laps.

Devin Smith injury plagued bust who was looked at primarily as a deep threat.

Darron Lee, small speed linebacker, not a pass rusher, not a beefy run stopper, has to be used in a certain way,

Christian Hackneburg big reach on long shot developmental QB.

Jamal Adams, good pick, BPA fell into our laps.

Marcus Maye a bit of a reach re his pre draft rankings, we just drafted a safety, safety is very deep in this draft, Bowles who utterly failed coaching defense lat year wants safeties for his 'system'

You know what this sounds like? The NFL draft. You win some you lose some. I was super high on Devin Smith. Who the hell would have guessed that his ACL would give up on him like that? Who could have predicted that honestly? It wasnt like he had these injury issues in colleged (Dee Milliner/John Idzik). Macc made a pick and it didnt work out. How about looking at the fact that instead of dragging this situation out he's looking to replace something that isnt working? He brought in Robby Anderson, Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall, along with the new guys drafted this year. He busted on a 2nd rounder by may have found a gem in Anderson who's an undrafted rookie. 

As for Lee, he's a 1st year player. When guys arent mad at the front office and we speak about rookies we always hear how we have to "wait 3 years then see". Well, a 1st year player looked like a 1st year player yet you're sitting here trying to make him out to be some sort of bust. 

Hackenberg was a bad pick. 100% agree. Way too early for such a project. That's a situation where you like him then great, but dont like your emotions cause you to jump the gun. With that said though, that was a GM coming off a rookie GM gig where he won GM of the year. He was probably feeling himself a little bit. At the end of the day, he's sticking with the plan to develop while bringing in some undrafted talent on the back end. 

It will be fun next year to hear all the people that love these picks bemoan that any D failures are due to no talent on offense and lack of pass rushers.

I dont know who these people are who "loved these picks". Maybe of us like the players, but many of us also didnt like the positions addressed at particular times. Many of us wanted Macc to trade down, but many of us didnt want him to trade down 5 times starting in the 3rd round and picking up a bunch of 6th round picks when most of the talent was gone. We said trade down, not trade out of the damn draft lol. 

With that said, you live and you learn. At the point no one likes that we went safety twice like that, but outside of that fact the players seem pretty solid. I havent seen all of these people who "loved the picks"...thats just hyperbole. 

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would assume the happy happy joy joy club all loved pryor, devin smith, coples, gholston and all felt they were solid moves to improve our rebuilding club.

Once this team actually starts to succeed consistently in their drafts rather than bombs them you will see a heck of a lot more trust.

Alot of us did, There's also alot of people using 20/20 hindsight as well. I guarantee alot of those people who didnt like those picks at the beginning ALSO didnt like that Leonard Williams pick at the beginning either, but since he worked out they're real silent about that. 

People are picking what they want to bitch about, which is cool. But if it's about the coach picking players that he needs, that's just ridiculous and must be told that it is....even if its out of valid frustration. With that said, you've always been a good poster. We disagree and I'll leave it here given that though I disagree I totally understand where it's coming from and totally understand the feeling. 

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Bottom line the draft is nothing more than an educated crapshoot. There are just as many late round gems as top round can't miss prospects who bust. Fans put way too much emphasis on players drafted by any NFL team. We all can have our opinions , listen to the so called draft experts and when all is said and done , no one knows what player will succeed or fail.  

Sure there are teams % wise which have done better than others but Jet fans are way too pessimistic and in regards to what the Jets have done in the draft. 

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

So when we eventually fire Bowles, and the new HC implements a different defense where having both Adams, and Maye doesn't fit, does double dipping look like the right play still?  I don't have a problem with BPA 1st round, and love the Adams pick, I have a HUGE problem drafting based on what Todd Bowles wants to do on defense it's a sure fire way to have players that don't fit down the road, if Bowles is say a proven safe HC sure NP, but he isn't regardless of what Woody has said he isn't getting 3 more years going 5-11, or worse, he might get 2, but that's it, and if Macc wants to stick around to hire another HC he should do what is best for the franchise as a whole not what is best for Todd Bowles defensive scheme, very stupid I year 3.

They're both good versatile players who can play the run and defend against the pass.  They'll outlast Bowles. 

14 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Alot of us did, There's also alot of people using 20/20 hindsight as well. I guarantee alot of those people who didnt like those picks at the beginning ALSO didnt like that Leonard Williams pick at the beginning either, but since he worked out they're real silent about that. 

The only people who didn't like the Williams pick were people frustrated that we were spending a first on yet another DL. Literally no one disliked him as a player.

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The only people who didn't like the Williams pick were people frustrated that we were spending a first on yet another DL. Literally no one disliked him as a player.

I agree. I was one of those guys who felt like we should have went offense or drafted Vic Beasley given that we needed a pass rusher if we had to go defense.  The moment that they picked up Williams 99% of us thought that we had seen the last of Wilkerson in a Jets uni. No trade came about, which was probably as surprising as the pick itself. But you are right. My overall point though is that if Williams didnt work out certain individuals would have put Williams in the "all those people who loved these picks/joy joy" category. That only works after the fact, so in all reality its irrelevant if you werent holding that position from jump. 

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I can't remember Tom Shame liking any draft prospect or any modern day Jets player. Ever. 

Here's a Fun Friday Exercise! 

You're starting an expansion team and you get to build it using any players drafted in the last 25 years, and immediately upon being drafted by the HessStation ClownShoes, they'll be 25 years old and ready to perform for your team. How many of those players are Jets? 

Now build TWO teams, same guidelines, how many of those 106 players are Jets? 

***BONUS ROUNDDDDDD****

Build a THIRD team, etc.

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

1)  I simply do not believe that Maye was the bpa at that pick

2)  Building a team to suit Todd bowels is a monumental mistake of epic proportions.

I understand your sentiments, but if you are not building a team for Todd Bowles then who do you build it for?

20 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. But doing it right includes finding a franchise QB and finding a franchise QB means developing Hack/petty or tanking for a stud next year. 

The two can go hand in hand JoJo....

If Hack works out...GREAT!  We have a franchsie QB.

BUT, if he fails.....it will be of epic proportion.  He does that, we will be in line to draft one of those studs coming out next year. 

The key will be Hack playing this year.  That could be part of the reason the Jets had to over-pay for McCown.  He might not have wanted to come here for $2 knowing he was riding the pine.  BUT...couple of extra million cushions his azz a little more while sitting on the bench.

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The two can go hand in hand JoJo....

If Hack works out...GREAT!  We have a franchsie QB.

BUT, if he fails.....it will be of epic proportion.  He does that, we will be in line to draft one of those studs coming out next year. 

The key will be Hack playing this year.  That could be part of the reason the Jets had to over-pay for McCown.  He might not have wanted to come here for $2 knowing he was riding the pine.  BUT...couple of extra million cushions his azz a little more while sitting on the bench.

Sooooooooo pay extra for a player you don't want to play.

19 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Who are we supposed to build the team for?

I agree with the 1st part. There were better players imo at the time than Maye, but if we don't build the team in the draft to reflect what the HC wants to do then WTF are we doing? 

I generally didn't like it but if it works giving the man what he needs then isn't that what we all want?

Yeah, I kinda thought that was the point.  You hire a coach who has certain coaching philosophies.  Why would a GM go out and get, say, 4-3 lineman when the coach you hire exclusively runs a 3-4?  This would make no sense. 

18 hours ago, JiF said:

Huh?  I've seen Bryce Petty, he's terrible.  I've seen the coaching staff not allow Hack to play Football.  I dont need anyone to tell me that.  I also see a veteran signed for good money who has familiarity with the system and specifically the OC. 

What I think he is saying Jif is we ALL knew Hack was not seeing the field last year.  They were very clear about the fact Hack was red-shirting it.  We will find out this year what he has.  He is only getting a VERY short window though, because their are going to be 3-5 really good prospects next year, and we will be taking one if Hack stinks it up.

Archived