Todd Bowles Gives a 'Shoutout' to His Staff

Gas2No99

2012-randy-lange-headshot-thumb-60x60.pnRandy Lange

Senior Reporter, newyorkjets.com@rlangejets

E_MK2_1006-adams.jpg

By now you may have seen — and heard — Jets head coach Todd Bowles' loud response as Kimberly Martin of Newsday started out today's rookie minicamp news conference with a question about the intensity of this year's staff on the field. We think Todd yelled out:

"WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE?!?!"
The reporters liked that over-the-top response and it captured the lighter nature of day two in front of the media. But seriously, what does Bowles make of the voluble styles of new coaches like offensive coordinator John Morton, RBs coach Stump Mitchell and LB Kevin Greene to add to the voice of special teams coordinator Brant Boyer et al.

"They're communicating," Bowles said in his more usual dulcet tones. "We've got a lot of guys coaching, a lot of voices, so you can hear them all, and they're coaching their guys up, which is what you want to see."

Just as Bowles and GM Mike Maccagnan were looking for high-character toughness in their draft picks and are emphasizing the "we" of the team this year, the head coach may have been looking for a certain kind of hands-on coach to add to his mix. He explained the changes this way:

"We had good coaches last year. I was looking for different types, as far as teaching their guys a different way. And with the system we had coming in, I knew the kind of guys I was looking for, and all those guys that replaced the guys we had kind of fit the bill."

When it was suggested that Bowles' loud intro sounded a bit like Greene's style, he took a back seat to his new linebackers coach, who famously had a few tenures with World Championship Wrestling as a transition between his playing and coaching careers.

"Kevin's like Hulk Hogan and Randy 'Macho Man' Savage," Bowles said. "He's enjoying it to the fullest. He loves the game and he coaches like he played. He was an intense player, he's an intense coach."

It's not screaming for screaming's sake, he said.

"
Intense teaching, maybe, but understanding when to pull back and when to go forward," Bowles said. "I think we have those guys."

Rookie Minicamp Notes
Count fifth-round TE 
Jordan Leggett as one more observer with high praise for first-round S Jamal Adams after the two tangled a few times during this minicamp. "He's definitely a great athlete," Leggett said. "I definitely see why he went in the first round. He has great instincts, just a head for the ball. He'll play for a while in this league."

Fourth-round WR 
Chad Hansen said he mastered one of a wideout's important skills at Moorpark (CA) High School: He grew. "My sophomore year I was probably 5'8", then I grew to 6-foot, 6'1"," Hansen said. "My junior year was sort of feeling it out, then my senior year it was putting it all together." Hansen's size now is a QB's friend at 6'2", 202.

tempE_MK2_1006--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Fifth-round RB Elijah McGuire, who attended Vandebilt Catholic in Houma, LA, before playing his college ball at Louisiana–Lafayette, no doubt has heard about Matt Forté's career, but he said he's looking forward to working with the two-time Pro Bowl RB: "All I know is he's a Louisiana native. Hopefully when he gets here he can take me under his wing."

The rookie minicamp winds up at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Sunday. The second week of Phase Two of the voluntary offseason workout program for veterans resumes Monday.

Bowles’ Jets expectations are much different than Woody Johnson’s

May 6, 2017 | 8:06pm

Bowles’ Jets expectations are much different than Woody Johnson’s

Jets fans might have low expectations for this season, but coach Todd Bowles made it clear Saturday his expectations are high.

Asked about owner Woody Johnson saying this week the 2017 Jets season should be measured by how much progress the team makes, Bowles said the only progress he is interested in is getting to the playoffs and getting to the Super Bowl.

Our ultimate goal is to get to the Super Bowl,” Bowles said. “Obviously, we’ve got to take steps. We have a lot of guys we have to get acclimated chemistry wise right away, but our goal is to win regardless of whether we’ve got younger guys or older guys. Our goal is to win. Progress for me is being a lot better than last year and getting to the playoffs and getting to the Super Bowl.”

The Jets clearly are in rebuilding mode this year after dumping some of their veteran players this offseason and going with youth. Some media outlets already have rated the Jets as the worst team in the NFL.

Does Bowles really think the Super Bowl is realistic with the state of the Jets’ roster?

“It’s realistic every year,” Bowles said.

Johnson did not sound like he was planning a Super Bowl parade in an interview with ESPN Radio this week.

“Really, the way I want to be judged this year, hopefully from the fans standpoint, is watch how we improve during the year, look at each individual on the team and see how they’re getting better,” the Jets owner said. “If they’re getting better, that’s a mark of progress. That’s what we’re looking for.”

New outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene brought some intensity to Saturday’s rookie minicamp practice. The Hall of Famer could be heard all over the field and at one point threw a garbage can to the ground in disgust after a player messed up an assignment. Greene, who once dabbled in professional wrestling, reminds Bowles of some former wrestling greats.

Kevin’s like Hulk Hogan and Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage,” Bowles said jokingly. “He enjoys it to the fullest. He coaches like he plays. He was an intense player. He’s an intense coach. Don’t mistake that for him not being very bright. He’s a very bright guy.”

I love that these coaches are turning it up. These are rookies though. Will this approach work with the vets left on this team? I really don't think many of them will be on the final roster. I see Dekker Gilchrist and everyone's favorite safety gone so my question maybe moot. I am no fan of Bowles but what do they expect him to say? We suck and have no expectations? I know that is the general feeling on this board but you have to give the troops the idea you believe in them so you can lead effectively. Now believe me, I have no illusions about this coming season. I just want to see progress. I think we will see a lot on defense but unless Hack has progressed significantly I don't hold out much hope for the Offense. I advocated drafting a QB(Watson) or going for Offensive players in the first couple of rounds. I felt that they needed to add 1st or 2nd round talent to the offensive side of the ball. I understand them picking who they did in the 1st but feel they could have done so much more. Time will tell but I really believe Mac dropped the ball in this draft and  it will be the beginning of the end for him. The clock is already ticking on Bowles though at least it should be and the way he handles this season will be the decider on his Jet tenure.

My hope is that the first time Mo or someone else wanders in late to a meeting, Kevin Greene lights them up like Chernobyl in front of everyone else.  Shouldn't take more than one of those to get everyone in line.  Clearly that's not Bowles' strength but no reason another coach can't step into that role.

12 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

2012-randy-lange-headshot-thumb-60x60.pnRandy Lange

Senior Reporter, newyorkjets.com@rlangejets

E_MK2_1006-adams.jpg

By now you may have seen — and heard — Jets head coach Todd Bowles' loud response as Kimberly Martin of Newsday started out today's rookie minicamp news conference with a question about the intensity of this year's staff on the field. We think Todd yelled out:

"WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE?!?!"
The reporters liked that over-the-top response and it captured the lighter nature of day two in front of the media. But seriously, what does Bowles make of the voluble styles of new coaches like offensive coordinator John Morton, RBs coach Stump Mitchell and LB Kevin Greene to add to the voice of special teams coordinator Brant Boyer et al.

"They're communicating," Bowles said in his more usual dulcet tones. "We've got a lot of guys coaching, a lot of voices, so you can hear them all, and they're coaching their guys up, which is what you want to see."

Just as Bowles and GM Mike Maccagnan were looking for high-character toughness in their draft picks and are emphasizing the "we" of the team this year, the head coach may have been looking for a certain kind of hands-on coach to add to his mix. He explained the changes this way:

"We had good coaches last year. I was looking for different types, as far as teaching their guys a different way. And with the system we had coming in, I knew the kind of guys I was looking for, and all those guys that replaced the guys we had kind of fit the bill."

When it was suggested that Bowles' loud intro sounded a bit like Greene's style, he took a back seat to his new linebackers coach, who famously had a few tenures with World Championship Wrestling as a transition between his playing and coaching careers.

"Kevin's like Hulk Hogan and Randy 'Macho Man' Savage," Bowles said. "He's enjoying it to the fullest. He loves the game and he coaches like he played. He was an intense player, he's an intense coach."

It's not screaming for screaming's sake, he said.

"
Intense teaching, maybe, but understanding when to pull back and when to go forward," Bowles said. "I think we have those guys."

Rookie Minicamp Notes
Count fifth-round TE 
Jordan Leggett as one more observer with high praise for first-round S Jamal Adams after the two tangled a few times during this minicamp. "He's definitely a great athlete," Leggett said. "I definitely see why he went in the first round. He has great instincts, just a head for the ball. He'll play for a while in this league."

Fourth-round WR 
Chad Hansen said he mastered one of a wideout's important skills at Moorpark (CA) High School: He grew. "My sophomore year I was probably 5'8", then I grew to 6-foot, 6'1"," Hansen said. "My junior year was sort of feeling it out, then my senior year it was putting it all together." Hansen's size now is a QB's friend at 6'2", 202.

tempE_MK2_1006--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Fifth-round RB Elijah McGuire, who attended Vandebilt Catholic in Houma, LA, before playing his college ball at Louisiana–Lafayette, no doubt has heard about Matt Forté's career, but he said he's looking forward to working with the two-time Pro Bowl RB: "All I know is he's a Louisiana native. Hopefully when he gets here he can take me under his wing."

The rookie minicamp winds up at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Sunday. The second week of Phase Two of the voluntary offseason workout program for veterans resumes Monday.

Like Herman Edwards and Rex Ryan before him, after shatting himself for the first 2 seasons, fire the assistants and bring in new ones. What a profile in suck. 

32 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Like Herman Edwards and Rex Ryan before him, after shatting himself for the first 2 seasons, fire the assistants and bring in new ones. What a profile in suck. 

it's amazing how history keeps repeating itself under Woody Johnson's moronic organizational structure. 

Todd Bowles’ new fiery coaching staff fitting in fine with Jets

by Daniel Popper

Todd Bowles said he made a conscious effort during the hiring process to find coaches with distinctive personalities and coaching methods.

There is no shortage of passion on Todd Bowles’ revamped Jets coaching staff.

Bowles parted ways with a number of his positional coaches after last season’s disappointing 5-11 finish. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey retired while five others were fired, including outside linebackers coach Mike Collins.

In place of Gailey and Collins, Bowles hired John Morton and Kevin Greene, respectively. And the two new additions are making their voices heard early and often in rookie minicamp. Morton and Greene bring a fiery approach to the practice field. On Saturday at One Jets Drive, Greene became upset with a missed assignment from one of the rookies and tossed a garbage can in frustration.

“Kevin’s like Hulk Hogan and Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage,” Bowles joked after Saturday’s practice.

Greene, in fact, spent time as a professional wrestler in World Championship Wrestling toward the back end of his NFL career in the late 1990s.

Bowles said he made a conscious effort during the hiring process to find coaches with distinctive personalities and coaching methods.

“We had good coaches last year,” Bowles said. “I was looking for different types, as far as teaching their guys a different way. And with the system we had coming in, I knew the kind of guys I was looking for. All those guys that replaced the guys we had kind of fit the bill.”

Bowles believes it’s crucial to a compile a “good mix” of coaches on a staff.

You have your screamers, and you have your teachers, and you have your mellow guys. And they all teach differently,” Bowles said. “You definitely want some (screamers), but not scream for the sake of screaming. Just intense teaching maybe, but understanding when to pull back and when to go forward. So I think we have those guys.”

Greene spent four years coaching the Packers outside linebackers from 2009-13. This is his second coaching job.

“He enjoys it to the fullest,” Bowles said of Greene. “He loves the game. He coaches like he played. He was an intense player. He’s an intense coach. But don’t mistake that for him not being very bright. He’s a very bright guy.”

SAY WHAT?

Despite the Jets being in clear rebuilding mode, Bowles said Saturday he thinks it’s “realistic” for his team to make the playoffs this coming season.

“Our ultimate goal is to get to the Super Bowl,” the Jets coach said. “Obviously we’ve got to take steps. We have a lot of guys we’ve got to get acclimated chemistry-wise right away. But our goal is to win, regardless of whether we got younger guys or older guys.”

ANALYSIS OF WEBB

The Giants hope they’ve found the replacement for Eli Manning in Cal product Davis Webb, who they selected in the third round of last weekend’s draft.

The Jets snagged Webb’s college teammate and receiver Chad Hansen in the fourth round. And Hansen shed some light on what kind of player Webb is, as well as how the quarterback will handle his role as a mentee.

“His work ethic is second to none,” Hansen said of Webb on Saturday. “So that’s something that they can expect right out of the gate. He has a great arm, and he’s super competitive. So I think those attributes will do him well.

“I think he’s smart enough to know that he’s going to be sitting behind one of the best quarterbacks. So I think he’ll understand that and learn from that.”  

WORD CHOICE

Jets third-round pick ArDarius Stewart, a receiver out of Alabama, offered up perhaps the best quote of the Jets' draft on a conference call last weekend, saying he plans on bringing a "load of awesomeness" to Gang Green's offense.

He was asked to clarify what that means on Saturday in Florham Park.

"I'm just coming out here and just trying to make a great vibe," Stewart said. "When you have a great vibe on the team, it's easier to play, it's easier to go out there and be happy and have fun. So when I said that, that's basically what I meant by it."

Archived