Bob Stoops

jmat321

Why would any high performing college coach leave a place where he is loved to take the stick in a plane that's already death spiraling toward the mountains? Generally the "hot" college coaches go to successful programs. Teams like the Jets are stuck with taking a chance promoting coordinators into first-time HCs (5 in a row), or if very lucky a re-tread.

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Why would any high performing college coach leave a place where he is loved to take the stick in a plane that's already death spiraling toward the mountains? Generally the "hot" college coaches go to successful programs. Teams like the Jets are stuck with taking a chance promoting coordinators into first-time HCs (5 in a row), or if very lucky a re-tread.

Don't most teams do that?  Heck, wasn't Bill Belichick a "retread" when New England got him?

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Don't most teams do that?  Heck, wasn't Bill Belichick a "retread" when New England got him?

My point is no college superstar coach is leaving the warm embrace of being a living legend to come to the NYJ.

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

My point is no college superstar coach is leaving the warm embrace of being a living legend to come to the NYJ.

How many college superstar coaches do that for any team though?  Pete Carroll to the Seahawks?  And maybe Bill O'Brien (if he counted as a superstar college coach) to the Texans?  

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How many college superstar coaches do that for any team though?  Pete Carroll to the Seahawks?  And maybe Bill O'Brien (if he counted as a superstar college coach) to the Texans?  

It happens (Saban, Schiano, Carroll, Spurrier, Kelly, Coughlin, Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, Harbaugh, Don Coryell, Paul Brown, Vermeil, Bill Walsh). But never for the Jets.

One problem with this thread.....Bob Stoops is not a superstar college coach.  And this is coming from an OU fan.  The guy was the defensive coordinator at UF before taking over OU 18 years ago and their defense has been awful for about 10 years.  OU has become an offensive sensation by using those gimmick spread offenses, but I would attribute very little of that success to Bob Stoops other than hiring good people to run his offense.

Whether or not he'll be a good NFL HC, who knows.  He has the "name" that Woody would love to roll out for the publicity.  Money won't be an object.   The media is saying that he is angling for the bears job, but we'll have the Cap space and the top pick.  A little ironic the Jets fully institute operation tank job on the day stoops retires.  

44 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

One problem with this thread.....Bob Stoops is not a superstar college coach.  And this is coming from an OU fan.  The guy was the defensive coordinator at UF before taking over OU 18 years ago and their defense has been awful for about 10 years.  OU has become an offensive sensation by using those gimmick spread offenses, but I would attribute very little of that success to Bob Stoops other than hiring good people to run his offense.

The guys writing the checks disagree. He's the 4th highest paid college coach. Well was until he quit. Only guys ahead of him: Harbaugh, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer. That's rarified company.

Just now, Savage69 said:

Some people thought Lou Holtz was a college star coach..:)

Oh I'm not claiming that success in college always transfers. Just that if you want a hot name, you gotta entice and it's really hard for the Jets to sell that to someone on top of his respective game. Whether they do well once they get to the NFL is an entirely different story.

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

The guys writing the checks disagree. He's the 4th highest paid college coach. Well was until he quit. Only guys ahead of him: Harbaugh, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer. That's rarified company.

So, you rate performance based on salary?  I am not saying he isn't better than not having him, hence paying to retain him, but he is far from a difference maker coach. Not someone I would ever consider bringing up to the NFL.  90% of his wins are based on talent differential alone.

3 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

So, you rate performance based on salary?  I am not saying he isn't better than not having him, hence paying to retain him, but he is far from a difference maker coach. Not someone I would ever consider bringing up to the NFL.  90% of his wins are based on talent differential alone.

I don't rate performance on salary. But the market rewards performance with salary. Thus it's a logical proxy.

1 minute ago, peebag said:

Sorry but I would not want Bob Stoops as a head coach.  Top scout sure, he can spot talent and recruit..

Dude has had some epic failures.

Not to worry there is a 0.00% chance any college coach with other options is making the jump to the NFL to helm the Jets.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

It happens (Saban, Schiano, Carroll, Spurrier, Kelly, Coughlin, Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, Harbaugh, Don Coryell, Paul Brown, Vermeil, Bill Walsh). But never for the Jets.

Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, and Don Coryell?  You're going back to the 1970's for that.  So 13 college coaches over a span of 5 decades??  On top of that, some of these guys (Switzer, Spurrier, Kelly, Schiano) were bums.  And others were (mostly) former NFL guys who decided to rebuild their reputation by coaching in college (Saban, Carroll, Coughlin, Harbaugh,Walsh, Vermeil).  They could've easily been considered a "retread coordinator" had they not coached in college.  

I'm fairly sure Jimmy Johnson is the only example from your list that meets the requirement of "made their name in college coaching and then were highly successful in the NFL".  I guess Switzer could count considering he won a SB but does anyone think he was a good NFL HC?  Sure seemed to me like he won w/ the dynasty built by Jimmy Johnson.

10 hours ago, Stonehands said:

As a Texas fan I agree !

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:
Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, and Don Coryell?  You're going back to the 1970's for that.  So 13 college coaches over a span of 5 decades??  On top of that, some of these guys (Switzer, Spurrier, Kelly, Schiano) were bums.  And others were (mostly) former NFL guys who decided to rebuild their reputation by coaching in college (Saban, Carroll, Coughlin, Harbaugh,Walsh, Vermeil).  They could've easily been considered a "retread coordinator" had they not coached in college.  

I'm fairly sure Jimmy Johnson is the only example from your list that meets the requirement of "made their name in college coaching and then were highly successful in the NFL".  I guess Switzer could count considering he won a SB but does anyone think he was a good NFL HC?  Sure seemed to me like he won w/ the dynasty built by Jimmy Johnson.

That's just a couple names I came up with in a few seconds. I never added requirement of highly successful in NFL, you did. I just said big college name coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived