• Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, southtown24th said:

T

A

N

K

TANK TANK TANK!!!!! My favorite NFL team:  Your New York Tanks

That would actually make way for a new cool logo. And even more important, since we don't use the air any more we don't need a qb. Problem solved, the NY Tanks only use the run game. 

57 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Maclin got $11M in his 2 yr deal w/Baltimore.  Decker would have cost them $14.75M and a draft pick.  Yes, Decker's salary was too expensive considering the injuries, surgeries and diminished productivity.  Maclin a year younger and way more athletic without the injury history.  Much better deal for Baltimore than our left-over wounded. 

Not the same thing. Maclin had a terrible year last year. Decker was injured. Two different scenarios. Maclin also missed a whole year and has missed several games outright in his career. Injury history is there. And I believe Decker is a better player than Maclin. 

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Not the same thing. Maclin had a terrible year last year. Decker was injured. Two different scenarios. Maclin also missed a whole year and has missed several games outright in his career. Injury history is there. And I believe Decker is a better player than Maclin. 

Maclin is faster and better than Decker and is cheaper. I trust Ozzie Newsome's judgment way over yours.  No offense.

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Maclin is faster and better than Decker and is cheaper. I trust Ozzie Newsome's judgment way over yours.  No offense.

Are you nuts? The opinion of a guy who has won Super Bowls and has spent his life in the game vs guys who have Mel Kiper Jr. posters all over their mother's basement walls where they have lived forever?  Man, you need help! :D

21 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

wow wonder why we couldnt trade him? maybe because big mac said he was either going to trade or cut him.  this franchise is exhausting. 

No, no , I was strongly scolded the other day and told this is the best way to sell a product.  To tell everyone it will be free in a week.  LOL

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

Or maybe Ozzie Newsome just went with the cheaper of the two? Since they had just $5mil of cap space? And Maclin is not better than Decker. Decker put up 1k yards and 10+ TDs with Fitz as his QB. Yeah, the league worst QB that was made look seevicable with Decker. If anything, they're about equal #2 WR with different skillsets. Decker has been very consistent playing with the leagues best to the league's worst QB (Fitz, Geno). Same for Maclin except his very latest season was much of a brain fart. 

OK, so here are the terms of Decker's deal with Tennessee:

1 year, 2017, deal for $3,850,000.  ($2,500,000 signing bonus + $1,350,000 salary).

In comparison, the Jets were to pay him $7,250,000 in 2017 followed by $7,500,000 in 2018, none of it guaranteed.

So Decker takes a $3,400,000 reduction in pay for 2017.  That's pretty significant.  If that's the best deal he could find, then it seems obvious that he was about to be severely overpaid by the Jets.  

On 6/14/2017 at 6:21 AM, j4jets said:

Or maybe Ozzie Newsome just went with the cheaper of the two? Since they had just $5mil of cap space? And Maclin is not better than Decker. Decker put up 1k yards and 10+ TDs with Fitz as his QB. Yeah, the league worst QB that was made look seevicable with Decker. If anything, they're about equal #2 WR with different skillsets. Decker has been very consistent playing with the leagues best to the league's worst QB (Fitz, Geno). Same for Maclin except his very latest season was much of a brain fart. 

Ozzie gave Maclin a 2 year, $11M contract with $6 million guaranteed.  Decker got a 1 year deal with Tennessee for $3,850,000.  

Only Jets fans think that Decker is a better WR than Maclin.

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

1 year, 2017, deal for $3,850,000.  ($2,500,000 signing bonus + $1,350,000 salary).

In comparison, the Jets were to pay him $7,250,000 in 2017 followed by $7,500,000 in 2018, none of it guaranteed.

So Decker takes a $3,400,000 reduction in pay for 2017.  That's pretty significant.  If that's the best deal he could find, then it seems obvious that he was about to be severely overpaid by the Jets.  

Or he was released in June after the peak of free agency and teams already signed their free agents and had no cap room left 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Ozzie gave Maclin a 2 year, $11M contract with $6 million guaranteed.  Decker got a 1 year deal with Tennessee for $3,850,000.  

What does Maclin have to do with anything?  He's a very different receiver than Decker and he was not good last year

Just now, thadude said:

Or he was released in June after the peak of free agency and teams already signed their free agents and had no cap room left 

Same was true for maclin.  Baltimore could have gotten Decker a lot cheaper than Maclin for only a 7th round conditional pick.  They opted for the better WR.  Decker is OK when healthy, but Maclin is a better threat when healthy.

Just now, thadude said:

What does Maclin have to do with anything?  He's a very different receiver than Decker and he was not good last year

because the Ravens were interested in trading for Decker.  They opted to go the more expensive route in obtaining Maclin, who was also a June cut.  Thus the comparison.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Same was true for maclin.  Baltimore could have gotten Decker a lot cheaper than Maclin for only a 7th round conditional pick.  They opted for the better WR.  Decker is OK when healthy, but Maclin is a better threat when healthy.

So what?  Are trying to use Maclon to justify Mac cutting Decker so late in the offseason?

Just now, thadude said:

So what?  Are trying to use Maclon to justify Mac cutting Decker so late in the offseason?

I think everyone suspected all along that the jets were just waiting for Decker to get medical clearance so that in the absence of a trade, they could cut him without having to reach an injury settlement. Many thought that Decker was a dead man walking all spring long.  

On 6/13/2017 at 10:03 AM, slats said:

I think if you're looking to develop your young QBs, you keep Eric Decker. I think instead, the Jets will be trotting McCown out there at QB to help develop the young WRs for the QB they hope to draft next year. 

I don't see that. Decker would have been the #1 campaigner for McCown, and if a young QB started he would look to Decker too much, not to mention that Decker has never been known to be a mentor and his durability is hugely suspect. Although the road is a little bumpier from a #1 WR standpoint I think the young QBs develop better in tandem with the young receivers. It falls to Morton to create gameplans and matchups that allows the QB to succeed.

10 minutes ago, thadude said:

The Jets released Decker as soon as NFL rules allowed. There was no window earlier to release him because of his injury status.

Just now, johnnysd said:

The Jets released Decker as soon as NFL rules allowed. There was no window earlier to release him because of his injury status.

why is it that people on this board refuse to acknowledge or attempt to understand this fact?  Decker would have been gone far earlier if he had medical clearance.  Yet people insist on using the timing of this to claim that the FO was classless, etc.  

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

because the Ravens were interested in trading for Decker.  They opted to go the more expensive route in obtaining Maclin, who was also a June cut.  Thus the comparison.

Not much more expensive at all

Plus Flacco is a downfield thrower.  Maclin fits that role

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

why is it that people on this board refuse to acknowledge or attempt to understand this fact?  Decker would have been gone far earlier if he had medical clearance.  Yet people insist on using the timing of this to claim that the FO was classless, etc.  

Exactly, they even went as far to play him in the first team drills and then have him put the red shirt on immediately after once they could prove he was completely healthy and cleared to play. The moment I read that the Jets did that I knew he was gone. People are not allowing how big of an issue the Marshall, Decker, Mangold, Fitz "club" was last year. It tore the team apart.

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think everyone suspected all along that the jets were just waiting for Decker to get medical clearance so that in the absence of a trade, they could cut him without having to reach an injury settlement. Many thought that Decker was a dead man walking all spring long.  

I think it was a dumb move cutting Decker.  He had a reasonable contract and who are Hack and Petty supposed to throw to?

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Not much more expensive at all

To be precise, $2.2 million more if Maclin gets released after one season. $7.2 million more if Maclin plays both years for Baltimore.  That is not insignificant.

Just now, johnnysd said:

Well your opinion. I think releasing him was critical to the future of this organization. 

Wow.  So it was critical?  Like Sam Darnold isn't coming here unless we get rid of all our good players critical?

Just now, Dcat said:

To be precise, $2.2 million more if Maclin gets released after one season. $7.2 million more if Maclin plays both years for Baltimore.  That is not insignificant.

Oh okay so $7 mil for Maclin is this huge deal but $6 mil plus another $2 mil in incentives for McCown is a drop in the bucket

Got it

1 minute ago, thadude said:

I think it was a dumb move cutting Decker.  He had a reasonable contract and who are Hack and Petty supposed to throw to?

disagree with "reasonabe contract".  

Hack and Petty will throw to the kids that need to be developed.  Decker's presence would only impede their progress and the Jets' ability to analyze them and develop them.  And let's forget the mythical "he can be their mentor" type of reasoning.  Decker is not a "leadership/mentor" type of guy as we've all seen during his tenure with the Jets. In fact, Decker was a contributor to the locker room divide as much as some of the others. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

It doesn't necessarily mean that. It certainly means it was a lousy time for him to look for a job.

How much do you think Pierre Garcon or DeSean Jackson would get if he just became a FA right now? You can bet it wouldn't be $11m/year with $20m guaranteed. What about Marvin Jones today getting 5 yrs $40m with $13-20m guaranteed? Yeah right. I could safely say the same about literally dozens of players who cashed in for more because they were UFAs in early March.

It could simply mean teams had already set their rosters - particularly after the draft and OTAs - so whatever he may have been able to secure for himself in mid-June is certainly less than he could have gotten in March.

It could be that, since he's still only 30, he was willing to take less on a 1-year "show me" deal than multiple years that may have been a little more, so he could be an early-March UFA in 9 months.

It could be that the took a little less to go to Tennessee, with a talented QB entering his 3rd season, than he may have taken from the Browns, 49ers, or from another that already had 2 WRs cemented as their starters where his numbers would be lower.

It could be that he didn't want to risk waiting even longer on the hope that a contender lost a starting WR in August.

I think it's a stretch to believe that the top offer he'd have gotten in March was $4m plus $1.5m in incentives.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it's a stretch to believe that the top offer he'd have gotten in March was $4m plus $1.5m in incentives.

a 30 year old WR coming off 2 major surgeries?  I don't think that's a stretch.

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It doesn't necessarily mean that. It certainly means it was a lousy time for him to look for a job.

How much do you think Pierre Garcon or DeSean Jackson would get if he just became a FA right now? You can bet it wouldn't be $11m/year with $20m guaranteed. What about Marvin Jones today getting 5 yrs $40m with $13-20m guaranteed? Yeah right. I could safely say the same about literally dozens of players who cashed in for more because they were UFAs in early March.

It could simply mean teams had already set their rosters - particularly after the draft and OTAs - so whatever he may have been able to secure for himself in mid-June is certainly less than he could have gotten in March.

It could be that, since he's still only 30, he was willing to take less on a 1-year "show me" deal than multiple years that may have been a little more, so he could be an early-March UFA in 9 months.

It could be that the took a little less to go to Tennessee, with a talented QB entering his 3rd season, than he may have taken from the Browns, 49ers, or from another that already had 2 WRs cemented as their starters where his numbers would be lower.

It could be that he didn't want to risk waiting even longer on the hope that a contender lost a starting WR in August.

You underestimate the loss of value due to his injury risk.

11 minutes ago, peebag said:

a 30 year old WR coming off 2 major surgeries?  I don't think that's a stretch.

30 isn't old for a WR whose main attribute isn't straightaway speed anyway. Different class of player, but Revis got $16m 3 years ago when he was barely able to jog, after a more serious injury.

The hip surgery was the real risk for this season, not the shoulder. Jordy Nelson had hip surgery in 2015 and had a more than solid season in 2016. 

Any injury risk can be abated with incentives. There simply are fewer teams looking now.

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You underestimate the loss of value due to his injury risk.

You underestimate the difference in opportunity before and after rosters are now set (outside of UDFAs and camp fodder). There just aren't as many teams shopping for a veteran WR now as there would have been in March. 

35 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I guess Ozzie Newsome is the fool then who was even considering trading for Decker. 

5 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I guess Ozzie Newsome is the fool then who was even considering trading for Decker. 

Decker has value.  But Maclin has more.  Ozzie only considered Decker until the deal with Maclin was sealed. So no, Ozzie wasn't dumb.  Had the Maclin deal fallen through, he had Decker on his short list of alternatives.  And the amount he woould have paid Decker would certainly have been less than Maclin.

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

30 isn't old for a WR whose main attribute isn't straightaway speed anyway. Different class of player, but Revis got $16m 3 years ago when he was barely able to jog, after a more serious injury.

The hip surgery was the real risk for this season, not the shoulder. Jordy Nelson had hip surgery in 2015 and had a more than solid season in 2016. 

Any injury risk can be abated with incentives. There simply are fewer teams looking now.

You underestimate the difference in opportunity before and after rosters are now set (outside of UDFAs and camp fodder). There just aren't as many teams shopping for a veteran WR now as there would have been in March. 

No I don't.  Decker had less value until medical clearance. Cutting him would have required an injury settlement and trading him prior to med clearance would be far fetched.  This was not like the Harris situation at all.

Just now, Dcat said:

No I don't.  Decker had less value until medical clearance. Cutting him would have required an injury settlement and trading him prior to med clearance would be far fetched.  This was not like the Harris situation at all.

Concerns over injury settlements and a player having more opportunities in March than June are two different discussions. I'm not crying about any slaps in his face or fairness or whatever.

I'm merely stating he has fewer opportunities now than he'd have had 3 months earlier in a thin crop of WRs in free agency where 31 year old Garcon and D.Jackson get $11m/year with $20m guaranteed (the latter never being the model of good health).

Decker wasn't in traction in March and then practicing at 100% in June. He'd have been signed, and he wouldn't be the first or last to sign while only mostly-done with post-surgical rehab. Look how much Matt Kalil just got, and he's been injured and/or sucked for years, specifically due to scarcity.  

There's also a good chance he took a little less with the Titans because he's already rich and lives in freaking Nashville, just like he supposedly took less from the Jets back when his wife wanted to be in/near NYC (when he was expected to fetch $9-10m/yr as the top FA WR on the market). 

Archived