Drafting a QB to fit system or adapting the system to fit QB?

Drums

That's the question.  Coaches (we can focus on OCs for the given discussion) and QBs come and go quite rapidly. So do we invest in a QB that fits our system or do we go for the "best" overall QB and then mold our offense to fit him? What is the greater risk?

With logic we can assume that if we draft a QB that fits our system, the coaches will succeed; therefore, they would stay for a long time.  Then we see a QB like Watson or Goff where the coaches changed it up to fit the QB and also have/had success.  In life and in this league we must adapt to survive.

So I guess the main question is, given the Jets' current situation, what do you believe is best? Obviously we would ideally draft a Day 1 starter. With that said, I think Morton is capable of adapting but how far is he willing to go? 

I know the obvious answer is you pick the best QB and go from there, which I would agree with but does that always work out? Which path would give us the best chance?

And to the football gurus on the board, who fits our system best? 

I look forward to your responses.

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Draft the best QB and build a system around him. If the grades on a few QB's are relatively even and you already have players in place for a system then go with the guy that fits. There is no exact science to it really.

That's the scary part.  No exact science.  No guarantees.

@bla bla bla @BrickTamland Who do you want?

1 hour ago, Drums said:

I want Cousins/Darnold/Mayfield in that order. I don't want the #2 pick of it Rosen, I think he'll be a really good QB but the head injuries and his commitment sort of leave me desiring more. I'd rather trade less to move up to 4 and get Mayfield or go all in and get Darnold.

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I want Cousins/Darnold/Mayfield in that order. I don't want the #2 pick of it Rosen, I think he'll be a really good QB but the head injuries and his commitment sort of leave me desiring more. I'd rather trade less to move up to 4 and get Mayfield or go all in and get Darnold.

I feel the exact same way. I would be okay signing Cousins and drafting one of those guys, as perfect world as that is. 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, Drums said:

That's the question.  Coaches (we can focus on OCs for the given discussion) and QBs come and go quite rapidly. So do we invest in a QB that fits our system or do we go for the "best" overall QB and then mold our offense to fit him? What is the greater risk?

With logic we can assume that if we draft a QB that fits our system, the coaches will succeed; therefore, they would stay for a long time.  Then we see a QB like Watson or Goff where the coaches changed it up to fit the QB and also have/had success.  In life and in this league we must adapt to survive.

So I guess the main question is, given the Jets' current situation, what do you believe is best? Obviously we would ideally draft a Day 1 starter. With that said, I think Morton is capable of adapting but how far is he willing to go? 

I know the obvious answer is you pick the best QB and go from there, which I would agree with but does that always work out? Which path would give us the best chance?

And to the football gurus on the board, who fits our system best? 

I look forward to your responses.

Good topic.  I think you take the talent hoping that he can thrive in any system because the reality is, he's very likely not going to play in the same system his entire career.  OC's are often the next target for HC's (just not the Jets, Defense baby!!!) and they're often the scapegoat for failing Head Coaches.  So drafting a QB to fit a system seems short sighted in nature.

That said, if we're looking at who fits Morton's system coming out this year I'd probably say Darnold and Rosen fit it the best though I think Cousins could thrive in this system as well.  Jackson seems more suited for a Arians type offense.  Power running game with a vertical attack.  Same with Allen. 

When you watch Petty try to run this system, you can see it's all about timing and anticipation.  Petty has none of this which is why he's so incredibly inaccurate.  Which is why I'd be hesitant on Mayfield or Rudolph who are used to knowing exactly where to go with the ball and throwing to wide open WR's.  And you've also seen that Morton is going to ask you to push the ball and attack outside the hash marks, sometimes deep, which would really concern me with Mayfield.  He's got an average arm and I think those throws in the NFL could give him problems, especially once he has to try to throw without a clean pocket.  Rudolph is basically Bryce Petty so I'm not sure I'd trust him either but I wouldn't trust a Big 12 QB period, so not sure I'm giving a biased take on those 2 in Morton's system.

I think Mayfield is a great fit for what Morton likes to do.

Overall, I think the answer to the post is that a team's OC should adapt to the players on the team, not the other way around.  Guys like Marty Morningwhig who have "their system" that they want to install make life too difficult for a QB.

What you want is an offensive staff and HC who sees what they have in personnel, specifically what their QB does well, and what the week's opponent does not do well, and form the offense around that each week.  

22 hours ago, Drums said:

This is really hard since I stopped putting in the time to watch them play pretty early on. The Jets wins earlier this season killed my excitement.

If I had a gun to my head with the 1st overall pick, I think I’d take Rosen. The guy is a special passer going back to his first year. He has been inconsistent at times, and had injuries. Theres talk that might be a jerk. Also his family is wealthy. So there’s definitely a need for extensive background checks to see how much he loves the game and how much he is respected by peers.

Darnold might be better in the end. I was super high on him at the end of last year with his incredible run. I saw him play live at Cal out of excitement for potentially seeing him on the team.

I love Mayfield’s game. But I have never watched a full game of his, so I am looking forward to CFB playoffs. I might like him better when all is said and done.

By April ill definitely have ‘my guy’ but I’m still a bit flip floppy on it.

20 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Mayfield at 4th overall you guys are ******* ridiculous yet nobody would consider Mahomes at 6 last year who is 10X the QB.

Agreed, the jets passed on mahomes and watson last year so now we are going to panic and gabbert/ponder/locker it up by forcing the value of the qbs up the board because we are desperate.

Archived