Rumor Mill from Senior Bowl 1/24

Patriot Killa

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors2.php

i know this stuff usually goes in the NFL Draft section but some of this is too juicy to have there. And not as many members go to that section. The bolded wreaks of the Jets.

With all the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from around the league on day two of the 2018 Senior Bowl week. 

• An NFL general manager of an NFL team in the market for a quarterback thinks that Wyoming signal-caller Josh Allen could explode as a prospect at the combine. That general manager thinks that Allen is going to have a tremendous performance, showing off his powerful arm, athleticism and size. The general manager of a different team picking in the top 10 that also is in the quarterback market said their team is very eager to interview Allen. They are interested in learning about his leadership as it relates to the NFL, but league sources say that Allen is a great kid and they think he will interview well. Thus, Allen could end up acing the interviews, and teams already believe that he is going to shine at the workouts. 

• Broncos quarterback Paxton Lynch is a first-round signal-caller from a couple of years ago who has a similar skill set to Allen. It will be interesting to see if Lynch becomes available this offseason. Sources with Denver tell me that Lynch was not popular in the locker room and obviously has underwhelmed to the point that the Broncos are aggressively scouting the top 2018 quarterbacks while also considering the veteran market for a new starter. In speaking to Denver sources and those at other teams, many are expecting the Broncos to make a huge run at acquiring Kirk Cousins this offseason. If Denver lands Cousins, Lynch could be available in a trade and will have to fight for a roster spot.  

• Star cornerback Aqib Talib was another player who had locker room issues in Denver last year. Talib spent lots of time complaining about safety T.J. Ward being cut in the preseason. Chris Harris joined Talib in voicing that issue constantly and it never went away with those defensive backs causing turmoil about the move all the way through the end of the season. Sources say the Broncos will probably shop Talib this offseason, and if they don't find a trade partner, they might move on from Talib and release him. 
  • One prospect whose stock is on the decline is Boston College defensive end Harold Landry. Multiple teams sources told me that Landry belongs on the second day of the draft. They said that his senior-year tape was not impressive. Landry had a big drop in his pass-rush production and had some ugly games in run defense. 

• Sources say that Landry is smaller than his listed numbers of 6-foot-3, 250-pounds. They say he is an inch or two shorter and weighs in the 240s, which makes him more of a linebacker body type for the NFL. Teams that run a 4-3 defense have concerns about Landry holding up on the edge, as he is very undersized to be a base end. Multiple team sources see Landry as a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. 
  • The Cleveland Browns have made some dubious decisions over the past few years, including passing on franchise quarterbacks of Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson. The Browns eschewed each of those quarterbacks in trades down to get more picks for the draft in the next year. Teams across the league love having a lot of early-round selections, however Cleveland has had so many that they could be setting themselves up for a tough situation in a few years. 

One NFC general manager said if all of their first-round picks pan out, thus far five selections over 2017 and 2018, the Browns could be in a tough situation to get all of them extended when they come to the end of their contracts. They could find themselves in a position having a hard time fitting all of those big contracts into a 2-year span and may have to let some leave. Of course, that is a good problem to have, but having a handful of big contracts due all at the same time is one of the flaws of the Browns' strategy. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors2.php#ixzz555aLnS48

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors2.php

i know this stuff usually goes in the NFL Draft section but some of this is too juicy to have there. And not as many members go to that section. The bolded wreaks of the Jets.

With all the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from around the league on day two of the 2018 Senior Bowl week. 

• An NFL general manager of an NFL team in the market for a quarterback thinks that Wyoming signal-caller Josh Allen could explode as a prospect at the combine. That general manager thinks that Allen is going to have a tremendous performance, showing off his powerful arm, athleticism and size. The general manager of a different team picking in the top 10 that also is in the quarterback market said their team is very eager to interview Allen. They are interested in learning about his leadership as it relates to the NFL, but league sources say that Allen is a great kid and they think he will interview well. Thus, Allen could end up acing the interviews, and teams already believe that he is going to shine at the workouts. 

• Broncos quarterback Paxton Lynch is a first-round signal-caller from a couple of years ago who has a similar skill set to Allen. It will be interesting to see if Lynch becomes available this offseason. Sources with Denver tell me that Lynch was not popular in the locker room and obviously has underwhelmed to the point that the Broncos are aggressively scouting the top 2018 quarterbacks while also considering the veteran market for a new starter. In speaking to Denver sources and those at other teams, many are expecting the Broncos to make a huge run at acquiring Kirk Cousins this offseason. If Denver lands Cousins, Lynch could be available in a trade and will have to fight for a roster spot.  

• Star cornerback Aqib Talib was another player who had locker room issues in Denver last year. Talib spent lots of time complaining about safety T.J. Ward being cut in the preseason. Chris Harris joined Talib in voicing that issue constantly and it never went away with those defensive backs causing turmoil about the move all the way through the end of the season. Sources say the Broncos will probably shop Talib this offseason, and if they don't find a trade partner, they might move on from Talib and release him. 
  • One prospect whose stock is on the decline is Boston College defensive end Harold Landry. Multiple teams sources told me that Landry belongs on the second day of the draft. They said that his senior-year tape was not impressive. Landry had a big drop in his pass-rush production and had some ugly games in run defense. 

• Sources say that Landry is smaller than his listed numbers of 6-foot-3, 250-pounds. They say he is an inch or two shorter and weighs in the 240s, which makes him more of a linebacker body type for the NFL. Teams that run a 4-3 defense have concerns about Landry holding up on the edge, as he is very undersized to be a base end. Multiple team sources see Landry as a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. 
  • The Cleveland Browns have made some dubious decisions over the past few years, including passing on franchise quarterbacks of Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson. The Browns eschewed each of those quarterbacks in trades down to get more picks for the draft in the next year. Teams across the league love having a lot of early-round selections, however Cleveland has had so many that they could be setting themselves up for a tough situation in a few years. 

One NFC general manager said if all of their first-round picks pan out, thus far five selections over 2017 and 2018, the Browns could be in a tough situation to get all of them extended when they come to the end of their contracts. They could find themselves in a position having a hard time fitting all of those big contracts into a 2-year span and may have to let some leave. Of course, that is a good problem to have, but having a handful of big contracts due all at the same time is one of the flaws of the Browns' strategy. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors2.php#ixzz555aLnS48

Reads more like it could be Denver, given one of the next few blurbs mention how disliked Paxton Lynch is within the locker room.  Maybe the Giants?  For all of our problems, the locker room wasn't one of them.  I'd have to imagine that a team with such issues would be the ones concerned about leadership qualities. 

Regardless of who the source is, I have a feeling Allen is going to interview extremely well too.  I have a gigantic concern over that because it's exactly what shot Hackenberg up our board.  

- I am loving how rounds 2-6 are shaping up with pass rushers. 

- Lots of Broncos rumors. Those Talib/Harris rumors sound like your future 2018 champs. Jets will get Cousins, Broncos will take Mayfield

- The bit on the Browns at the end along with the Broncos bits are why the path to Cousins is clear for the Jets. If he goes to Cleveland the window is 5 years in a league pro passers can play until they’re 40. Denver it’s one year and that’s only if they’re not dumping Talib after dumping Ward. Miller gets all the hype but the Harris/Talib/Ward backfield was a huge part of that D’s success. Obviously with the Jets it is infinity years. 

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Reads more like it could be Denver, given one of the next few blurbs mention how disliked Paxton Lynch is within the locker room.  Maybe the Giants?  For all of our problems, the locker room wasn't one of them.  I'd have to imagine that a team with such issues would be the ones concerned about leadership qualities. 

Regardless, I have a feeling Allen is going to interview extremely well and I have a gigantic concern over that because it's exactly what shot Hackenberg up our board.

My reasoning for assuming it’s the Jets is how much we put leadership ahead of everything. But you are right. Could definitely be Denver.. they just seemed to have SUCH a hard on for Mayfield yesterday that it was insane lol..they literally spoke to him 90% of the time when he arrived. They watched and scouted Allen of course, it just seemed like their attention flew to Baker and never left after that, though.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

- I am loving how rounds 2-6 are shaping up with pass rushers. 

- Lots of Broncos rumors. Those Talib/Harris rumors sound like your future 2018 champs. Jets will get Cousins, Broncos will take Mayfield

- The bit on the Browns at the end along with the Broncos bits are why the path to Cousins is clear for the Jets. If he goes to Cleveland the window is 5 years in a league pro passers can play until they’re 40. Denver it’s one year and that’s only if they’re not dumping Talib after dumping Ward. Miller gets all the hype but the Harris/Talib/Ward backfield was a huge part of that D’s success.

Yep. Even Davenport’s stock took a hit yesterday, apparently. Very interesting.

speaking of pass rusher ...Shaquem Griffin is a BEAST. Expect him to shoot up boards from now to the combine when he displays elite athleticism.

and I agree on the Kirk Cousins scenarios. Denver seems to be stuck between starting over on the back end of their defense or sticking it out for Cousins. Demetrius and Emmanuel have to be getting up there too huh? Aren’t they like 31,32?

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

My reasoning for assuming it’s the Jets is how much we put leadership ahead of everything. But you are right. Could definitely be Denver.. they just seemed to have SUCH a hard on for Mayfield yesterday that it was insane lol..they literally spoke to him 90% of the time when he arrived. They watched and scouted Allen of course, it just seemed like their attention flew to Baker andcnever left after that, though.

Denver is very much in love with Baker...but if they get Kirk, you can pretty much forget it though.

We both want Cousins...I believe that we will do what we can to get him...but my gut tells me that he, ultimately, picks Denver if he has his choice.  Maybe it's the pessimist in me.  I don't know.  I really hope not.  

If that's the case, I'm crossing my fingers that our extra homework on Allen really is nothing more than "due diligence". Give me trade up for Rosen/Darnold or give me Baker.  Allen or Jackson?  I'll take 20 shots of Jack Daniels please.

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Denver is very much in love with Baker...but if they get Kirk, you can pretty much forget it though.

We both want Cousins...I believe that we will do what we can to get him...but my gut tells me that he, ultimately, picks Denver if he has his choice.  Maybe it's the pessimist in me.  I don't know.  I really hope not.  

If that's the case, I'm crossing my fingers that our extra homework on Allen really is nothing more than "due diligence". Give me trade up for Rosen/Darnold or give me Baker.  Allen or Jackson?  I'll take 20 shots of Jack Daniels please.

I have the same exact offseason hopes. i agree, I really would prefer a trade up(for Rosen/Darnold) if we don’t get Cousins but Mayfield is someone i’d be excited to have, too. 

I guess we will find out. I would be sad as hell if they sign Cousins but double down with Mayfield. That would break my soul lol. While that is very unlikely, it’s some sh*t that would be our luck.

With all the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from around the league on day three of the 2018 Senior Bowl week. 

The New York Jets are one of the teams that will figure heavily into the quarterback discussion. Earlier this week, we reported how the Jets plan on being active in free agency. Jets sources indicate that the quarterback need is more likely to be filled in the draft. Sources with the New York are being very tight-lipped on their thoughts about the first-round quarterbacks. That being said, after speaking with top evaluators at the team, my gut feeling is telling me that Wyoming's Josh Allen is their favorite among the quarterback prospects. General manager Mike Maccagnan has preferred big quarterbacks, and Allen certainly fits that description. New York also has ammo to move up for the quarterback they want with two second-round picks and four total selections in top 72. 

Two years ago, speaking to sources at the Jets and reading their reactions led to me nailing them taking Christian Hackenberg in the 2016 NFL Draft. Last year, I listened to them, and that led me having them pass on Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. While it is still early in the process, right now I feel that Allen seems to be the Jets' guy. 

Sources with a few teams have told me that the Senior Bowl quarterbacks prospects have interviewed well overall with impressive sessions in front of the top evaluators at each team. The quarterbacks who were specifically named as interviewing well were Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk and Tanner Lee. A few team sources said that Rudolph is very smart. Allen is said to be a great kid as well. Baker Mayfield wasn't included in that feedback because of his late arrival to Senior Bowl. Teams are eager to see how the underclassmen quarterbacks interview at the combine in comparison to the strong group at the Senior Bowl

• In speaking with a few general managers and sources at other teams, including some directors of college scouting, they all felt that there would probably be three quarterbacks who are chosen in the top 10 picks of the 2018 NFL Draft. Those three signal-callers are UCLA's Josh Rosen, USC's Sam Darnold, and Wyoming's Josh Allen. After that trio, they thought two more quarterbacks would go in the first round, with those being Louisville's Lamar Jackson and Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield. They expect Jackson and Mayfield to be mid-to-late first-rounders. 

Of course, it is very early in the process, and prospects could get hot to rise high or cold to drop low. The combine and pre-draft interviews always push some players up, with others going down. A big market of free agent quarterbacks will also shake up the draft and which teams will be selecting signal-callers in the first round. However, at this early point in the process, it sounds like there will be three quarterbacks who get selected in the top 10 and five total in the first round.  

• The Redskins are another team that could be aggressive to move up for a quarterback, assuming they don't re-sign Kirk Cousins or acquire another veteran starter. If Washington misses out on the quarterbacks or doesn't need to take one, the Redskins have a variety of options to consider in the first round. The Redskins could use more defensive line help next to impressive rookie Jonathan Allen. Alabama nose tackle Da'Ron Payne is a favorite of sources with Washington, and they love the idea of reuniting Payne and Allen. The team is not as high on Washington defensive tackle Vita Vea. 

Alabama safety Minkah Fitzpatrick is another favorite of Redskins' sources, but they don't believe Fitzpatrick will get to their pick (though they thought the same thing about Jonathan Allen last year). The Redskins have high hopes for second-year safety Montae Nicholson and think he could turn into an excellent pro. D.J. Swearinger also played well for Washington, so safety isn't a critical need for Washington. 

Offensively, the Redskins would like to add more talent at wide receiver and running back this offseason. They also are planning on adding a guard in free agency or the draft. 

The quarterback position is the top priority, but if the Redskins aren't taking a signal-caller, it sounds like the defensive front seven is the next priority. 

•  
  • While high up in the Arizona Cardinals' front office, Jason Licht was part of a front office that took a guard with the seventh-overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Now, as general manager of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Licht could be using the seventh-overall pick five years later on a guard in Notre Dame's Quenton Nelson. In my Monday Morning Draft column at the conclusion of Week 3 last fall, I revealed how sources with the Bucs already had taken a huge liking to Nelson. As the season played out, Tampa Bay did not have an adequate running game or pass protection for Jameis Winston. Licht and head coach Dirk Koetter need a big season out of Winston to maintain their positions beyond this season. 

Guard is a real need for Tampa Bay, and Nelson is a plug-and-play starter who will immediately improve the Buccaneers' rushing offense and protection for Winston. The Buccaneers would love it if Penn State running back Saquon Barkley or N.C. State defensive end Bradley Chubb fell to their pick, but Tampa Bay believes that both will be long gone when the team is on the clock. Still, sources with the Buccaneers believe that Nelson could become the best guard in the NFL in short order and has Hall of Fame potential. While taking a guard isn't the sexiest of picks, Nelson could be a perfect fit for Tampa Bay.  

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors3.php#ixzz555mqO3C2

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Sorry, “my gut feeling is that Allen is their favorite QB prospect” does not do much to convince me.

I wouldn't entirely rule out Allen (it literally kills me inside to say that), but he is closer to 3rd or 4th favorite as of now.  Macc is beyond smitten with Josh Rosen.  He is so far and away the top player on our board that it isn't even funny to see anything suggesting otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I wouldn't entirely rule out Allen (it literally kills me inside to say that), but he is closer to 3rd or 4th favorite as of now.  Macc is beyond smitten with Josh Rosen.  He is so far and away the top player on our board that it isn't even funny to see anything suggesting otherwise.

I’ve heard as much Jets/Mayfield as Jets/Rosen as Jets/Darnold as Jets/Allen...whole lotta speculation, no actual words or reported actions on the Jets’ part. 

I pretty much find myself saying this every year, but Charlie Campbell and Walter Football can suck a fat one (BTW, Jesse is an incredible follow for those of you interested in the draft and the college prospects).

Bonus fun:

That clown, literally, wrote that an hour before both Darnold and Jackson declared.

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I pretty much find myself saying this every year, but Charlie Campbell and Walter Football can suck a fat one (BTW, Jesse is an incredible follow for those of you interested in the draft and the college prospects).

Bonus fun:

That clown, literally, wrote that an hour before both Darnold and Jackson declared.

As Rosen should be. I personally think Macc’s QB draft board so far is something like:

Josh Rosen

Sam Darnold

Josh Allen

Baker Mayfield

Lamar Jackson

Which is about what everyone’s has been from the start. Mac is stupid if he down plays Mayfield’s ability because of size. He finally measured btw.

6’1(barely cracked it)

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

As Rosen should be. I personally Macc QB draft board so far is something like:

Josh Rosen

Sam Darnold

Josh Allen

Baker Mayfield

Lamar Jackson

Which is about what everyone’s has been from the start. Mac is stupid if he down plays Mayfield’s ability because of size. He finally measured btw.

6’1(barely cracked it)

Swap Mayfield and Allen and you would have what I have heard most recently.  This week will go a long way in determining how much Allen can actually climb that list.  Personally, I want absolutely nothing to do with him.  I don't care if he chucks 8TDs and goes 10 for 10 for 300 yards in 1:00 of game time at the senior bowl. 

I wish I could tell you all that we're avoiding him like a cat dying of rabies, but I can't.  That scares me a bit.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Swap Mayfield and Allen and you would have what I have heard most recently.  This week will go a long way in determining how much Allen can actually climb that list.

He looked alright yesterday. Ball sailed over some wide receivers heads but I think scouts ears perked up when he was throwing, what looked like, actual bullets shot out of a gun at these WR’s lol.

Mayfield was obviously the most accurate and fit the ball in tight, tight windows. Weird part is though..throughout my copy and pasting of the updates..there were MANY conflicting posts. Half of Twitter was saying Mayfield’s footwork was the worst under center, wobbly throws, ect. The other half were saying he was displaying great accuracy, ball never nose dived, had plenty of arm strength and looked good.

Mike Mayock said his first impression was he had a quick release, plenty of arm strength, accurate and he looked solid. So I think i’ll take that over the twitter posters who gave him a negative review.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He looked alright yesterday. Ball sailed over some wide receivers heads but I think scouts ears perked up when he was throwing actually bullets shot out of a gun at these WR’s. 

Mayfield was obviously the most accurate and fit the ball in tight, tight windows. Weird part is though..throughout my copy and pasting of the updates..there were MANY conflicting posts. Half of Twitter was saying Mayfield’s footwork was the worst under center, wobbly throws, ect. The other half were saying he was displaying great accuracy, ball never nose dived, had plenty of arm strength and looked good.

Mike Mayock said his first impression was he had a quick release, plenty of arm strength, accurate and he looked solid. So I think i’ll take that over the twitter posters who gave him a negative review.

From PFF (and also a feature that would make one think Maccagnan likes Allen):

• Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen showing a bit of spotty accuracy in his first go, definitely the least accurate of the North quarterbacks
  • Allen continues to throw at a higher velocity than every other quarterback, but has thrown two bad overthrows on downfield shots

I just want to see the Jets get aggressive to get a QB.  I would imagine Kirk Cousins would prefer Denver over us as they seem a lot more "win now" than we do (note that personally I'd much rather we draft a QB than sign Cousins).  But even if Cousins comes here, I still want to see Macc add a QB (maybe Rudolph in the 2nd round?) 

If we don't get a FA QB (or via trade) then I want Macc to get a QB with our 1st round pick (even if he has to trade up to get who he wants).  I'm okay with whoever he likes but he will of course be held accountable for that player's success or failure.

The larger point is that it's time for this franchise to take a swing at addressing the QB position for the long term.  Even if we draft a bust, I'd be happy that we at least tried.  And I'd absolutely want the Jets to try again next year if necessary.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He looked alright yesterday. Ball sailed over some wide receivers heads but I think scouts ears perked up when he was throwing, what looked like, actual bullets shot out of a gun at these WR’s lol.

I got to watch a bit yesterday.  Mayfield, to me, looked like he was far and away the better of the two.  He's got a ways to go before that whole "under center" thing looks natural, but he didn't look awful doing it and that is so much easier to drill in and teach compared to teaching a guy, who can't hit a 5 yard swing pass, how to throw with accuracy and touch.

https://twitter.com/Ryan_McCrystal/status/954169670839382016

Follow this Twitter thread to see exactly why I dismiss any idea of "but his cawledge talentttttz!"

I let myself get 3rd degree burns via Christian Hackenberg.  I will never let a QB make me feel so stupid for going against the grain for them ever again.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Heyyyyyyy, look at Jets fans talk themselves into a Kirk Cousins v Josh Allen offseason. Heyyyyyyyyyyy alright. Heyyyyyyy Jets fans are knowledgeable sports fans. Alriiiiiiight. Peep the Sanchize jersey over there, my dawg. 

Yeah the opening line of the LOTR post was better. 

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just want to see the Jets get aggressive to get a QB.  I would imagine Kirk Cousins would prefer Denver over us as they seem a lot more "win now" than we do (note that personally I'd much rather we draft a QB than sign Cousins).  But even if Cousins comes here, I still want to see Macc add a QB (maybe Rudolph in the 2nd round?) 

If we don't get a FA QB (or via trade) then I want Macc to get a QB with our 1st round pick (even if he has to trade up to get who he wants).  I'm okay with whoever he likes but he will of course be held accountable for that player's success or failure.

The larger point is that it's time for this franchise to take a swing at addressing the QB position for the long term.  Even if we draft a bust, I'd be happy that we at least tried.  And I'd absolutely want the Jets to try again next year if necessary.

See, this line of thinking is something I completely disagree with.

Idgaf if we have to wait another year if it means we pass on Josh Allen.  That's a guy who sets your franchise back 5+ years.  I don't care about being sexy with the pick.  If we miss out on Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield, f*ck Josh Allen.  Pass on him.  Pass on him hard.  I'll take Minkah.  Take a Guard. 

I. 

Don't. 

Care. 

Just don't take Josh Allen.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Heyyyyyyy, look at Jets fans talk themselves into a Kirk Cousins v Josh Allen offseason. Heyyyyyyyyyyy alright. Heyyyyyyy Jets fans are knowledgeable sports fans. Alriiiiiiight. Peep the Sanchize jersey over there, my dawg. 

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah the opening line of the LOTR post was better. 

Yeah, I have to agree.?

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Luke Falk is my guy , if we don’t get Cousins or draft Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold but I agree with Mogglez..no way we should take Allen or Lamar. You take the best OL who can at least service your team for 10 plus years and you never look back. 

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

See, this line of thinking is something I completely disagree with.

Idgaf if we have to wait another year if it means we pass on Josh Allen.  That's a guy who sets your franchise back 5+ years.  I don't care about being sexy with the pick.  If we miss out on Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield, f*ck Josh Allen.  Pass on him.  Pass on him hard.  I'll take Minkah.  Take a Guard.  I don't care.  Just don't take Josh Allen.

I'm not saying to take a QB even if Macc doesn't like what's available.  I said "even if he has to trade up to get what he wants". 

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not saying to take a QB even if Macc doesn't like what's available.  I said "even if he has to trade up to get what he wants". 

You also said this:

I'm okay with whoever he likes but he will of course be held accountable for that player's success or failure.

And this:

Even if we draft a bust, I'd be happy that we at least tried.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that line of thinking.  It's a self serving, defeatist attitude, that rewards mediocrity, all for short-term gratification.  A trade requires 2 interested parties so I can't comment on that, but, for arguments sake, If Macc likes Josh Allen enough to draft him with the 6th overall pick, then someone needs to lock him up and store him in their basement until the draft has passed and we can ensure that we dodged that bullet like Neo in The Matrix.  There is zero scenario regarding Allen that leaves me saying "in Macc I trust" if he likes him.  If he is drafted by us, or anyone in the 1st, he will bust.  Hard.  It's January and you can quote me on that.  This kid will never amount to anything in the NFL.  He is horrendous.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

You also said this:

And this:

Sorry, but I don't agree with that line of thinking.  It's a self serving, defeatist attitude, that rewards mediocrity for short term gratification.  If Macc likes Josh Allen enough to draft him with the 6th pick then someone needs to lock him up and store him in their basement until the draft has passed and we can ensure that we dodged that bullet like Neo in The Matrix.  There is zero scenario regarding Allen that leaves me saying "in Macc I trust" if he likes him.  If we draft him, he will bust.  Hard.  It's January and you can quote me on that.  This kid will never amount to anything in the NFL.

I don't watch enough college football to know if Allen will be a bust.  I think it's very hard to predict this type of stuff in general.  But I will say that it does feel like (and this is just an off-the-cuff thought) guys who "fit the mold" (e.g. prototypical size and great arm strength) tend to be busts.  It feels to me like the undersized guys (e.g. Russell Wilson, DeShaun Watson) are sometimes the more talented QBs because they really have to get good to overcome their limitations.  Again this is just an off-the-cuff thought.  I realize there are also undersized guys like Johnny Manziel.

For the record, I was strongly anti-DeShaun Watson during last year's draft so I'm trying to learn my lesson and be more humble about judging QBs.  And regardless, it's Macc's call anyway.  We're stuck with it for better or worse.

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Luke Falk is my guy , if we don’t get Cousins or draft Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold but I agree with Mogglez..no way we should take Allen or Lamar. You take the best OL who can at least service your team for 10 plus years and you never look back. 

I've heard people praise Falk.  I also remember reading someone mocking him to the Patriots - lol.  

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've heard people praise Falk.  I also remember reading someone mocking him to the Patriots - lol.  

Super pin point accuracy and he’s a tough SOB. 

Problem is .. like most .. not a lot of experience under center. But he has the experience to succeed and the accuracy as well.

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My biggest fear is whoever the Patriots take

I think we are still going to gun for Cousins. Although I'm less confident now that they place the Transition Tag on him. If he does in fact hit UFA I don't believe we land him. I hope the rumors surrounding the Browns and Allen are true because I'd love to get a shot at Darnold or Rosen. Rosen feels like the best QB of the bunch but he strikes me as someone who could be poised to retire early with his dad's medical background. 

Cousins

Darnold

Mayfield/Rosen

Allen

Jackson 

Would be my QB rankings that I want. I love the idea of getting Nelson to pair with Jensen and Cousins but that is obviously only if we can land Cousins.

57 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't watch enough college football to know if Allen will be a bust.  I think it's very hard to predict this type of stuff in general.  But I will say that it does feel like (and this is just an off-the-cuff thought) guys who "fit the mold" (e.g. prototypical size and great arm strength) tend to be busts.  It feels to me like the undersized guys (e.g. Russell Wilson, DeShaun Watson) are sometimes the more talented QBs because they really have to get good to overcome their limitations.  Again this is just an off-the-cuff thought.  I realize there are also undersized guys like Johnny Manziel.

For the record, I was strongly anti-DeShaun Watson during last year's draft so I'm trying to learn my lesson and be more humble about judging QBs.  And regardless, it's Macc's call anyway.  We're stuck with it for better or worse.

I was anti-Watson as well. I didn’t like any QB at 6 for the Jets last year and I consider myself pretty “in sync” with the whole draft process.. so don’t feel bad. 

Archived