Salary cap Gurus - how does DEN pull off Cousins?

Paradis

19 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Well just a guess but if they back load a contract that averages $30M in order to afford to sign their 2018 draft class, wouldn’t that give them a cap hit of $40M for Cousins?  

Maybe, eventually. The idea is that they'll have more room by then. 

19 minutes ago, Pcola said:

The Broncos aren’t everything everyone is making them out to be.  By the time they fire Vance Joseph their offensive stars will be worthless and their so-called elite defense will be another year older.

Why would Cousins agree to negotiate with one team when he can pretty much dictate and take several bids?

Who suggested that he'd only negotiate with one team? 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Pcola said:

The Broncos aren’t everything everyone is making them out to be.  By the time they fire Vance Joseph their offensive stars will be worthless and their so-called elite defense will be another year older.

This is a fair point. I can see the arguments to sign with the Broncos but it could fall apart very quickly. Come 2019, Joseph might be fired, their defense is no longer elite (if it is now) and they are at the beginning of a reload.

IMO, Jacksonville are the dark horse. They are on the rise, capable, have the players and have Coughlin who has set the bar for expectations inside the organisation.

If I'm honest, if I was Cousins, I'd have Jax as #1 right now. (*Dependant on moving on from Bortles, which they should)

1 minute ago, The Walrus said:

This is a fair point. I can see the arguments to sign with the Broncos but it could fall apart very quickly. Come 2019, Joseph might be fired, their defense is no longer elite (if it is now) and they are at the beginning of a reload.

IMO, Jacksonville are the dark horse. They are on the rise, capable, have the players and have Coughlin who has set the bar for expectations inside the organisation.

If I'm honest, if I was Cousins, I'd have Jax as #1 right now.

With Bortles having surgery it looks like they won’t be in the market for a QB.  If he isn’t healthy on 3/16, his 2018 salary becomes guaranteed.  With Bortles getting like $19M, he is incurable, untradeable, and pretty much leaves their only option at upgrading the QB from the draft.

8 minutes ago, Pcola said:

With Bortles having surgery it looks like they won’t be in the market for a QB.  If he isn’t healthy on 3/16, his 2018 salary becomes guaranteed.  With Bortles getting like $19M, he is incurable, untradeable, and pretty much leaves their only option at upgrading the QB from the draft.

Cool thanks. Wasn't sure of the rules on the salary. That wrist might be a blessing for us one way or another. Takes Jax out and helps us land Cousins or helps Denver land him getting them out of the way for the drafting disco.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

That's what happens when your offense goes 3 and out for 3 quarters.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but reading your post, you forgot to actually watch DEN. (kind of critical)... they are a team that can WIN with competent QB play. That's just the way it is. Their ownership and management knows how to build a winning team and they run a tight ship. You want to hang your hat on their losses to teams like NYG? I'm pretty sure Seimien had 5 turnovers in 1 half in that game... you're cherry picking your facts.

You're just wrong on your DEN assessment. Doesn't mean you can't want Cousins. That's fine, but you'll find no players in the NFL (ZERO) who will tell you "YEA! I'D RATHER PLAY FOR THE JETS THAN THE BRONCOS..:" ...Like snap out of it my friend. 

Total BS! Simian gives you the same 2 wins in three years crap you saw from McCown! Maybe, just maybe McCown won 3 more games with the Jets than he had the last 2 years in Cleveland because the Jets aren't as f*cking bad as you think! How about McCown doesn't throw that stupid pick B4 the half against the Pats? 

50 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Total BS! Simian gives you the same 2 wins in three years crap you saw from McCown! Maybe, just maybe McCown won 3 more games with the Jets than he had the last 2 years in Cleveland because the Jets aren't as f*cking bad as you think! How about McCown doesn't throw that stupid pick B4 the half against the Pats? 

Sorry pal, you're just wrong on this one. I know it. The other posters know it -- and honestly, so does everyone out there. It's not a "coincidence" that everybody and their dog pegs DEN as more desireable from a winning standpoint. I repeat; Zero QBs would chose NYJ over DEN with all things money being the same - right now in 2018. I know you want Cousins, and hell, we may end up with him, but... like, be real yo. DEN is not you say they are.  

And a "down arrow"...? cmon man.

Archived