Salary cap Gurus - how does DEN pull off Cousins?

Paradis

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They go from 26mm to 54mm to 138mm in the next 3 years. The roster is somewhat set. They could draft a RT at 5 to solve a lot of their OL problems and back load Cousins in years 2, 3 and so on. 20, 30, 30, 20 is 100mm guaranteed over 4 years. Not that difficult. Plus, signing bonus spread out will lower y1

19 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I dont know of a team that has had that much difference between guaranteed money and actual salary. I think the NFL would cry foul.

Seriously if this was the case, why wouldn't teams just go out and give guaranteed contracts to everybody

They do and it's usually for only 2-3 years. As a QB Cousins has a longer life expectancy in the NFL. So adding another year or two isn't end of the world for a guy who's been healthy and all the rules to keep the qb safe

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The better question will be what @Pac says when this happens.  

3 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Something something JN Geniuses will get a kick out of this... something something...here's why drafting a qb was stupid to begin with ... something something. Jets are the leading destination, if this doesn't happen Mac screwed up somewhere and should be fired immediately. 

image.png

3 hours ago, Pac said:

While the JN geniuses will have you believe Denver is the prohibitive favorite, I unilaterally reject that fairy tale.    

It could prove to be stupid to spend draft capital on a wildcard like Allen when you have a sure thing staring you in the face.

The Jets are the top destination..  I'm a Macc supporter but if he screws this up he should be booted the F out of Florham Park.

6 hours ago, slats said:

Easily. 

Jets rumored here to offer $180M with $100M guaranteed over -say- six years. Denver could do that with an $80M signing bonus and $20M more guaranteed in year three, with a salary of $1M in the first year of the deal for a cap number of $14.3M in 2018. 

Comfortably done without any roster moves. 

Yes under this scenario yes only 14.3 cap hit first year but awhopping $33 Mil every other year assuming remaining money is spread evenly. And if for some reason he doesnt staay full six you got 13M dead money per year.

6 hours ago, slats said:

Easily. 

Jets rumored here to offer $180M with $100M guaranteed over -say- six years. Denver could do that with an $80M signing bonus and $20M more guaranteed in year three, with a salary of $1M in the first year of the deal for a cap number of $14.3M in 2018. 

Yes, and this just for starters.

They have other players they can restructure to push their hits higher in later years instead, with the idea that the “big hit” year(s) will coincide with current high-priced players becoming expendable (by age, by injury, or by drafting cheaper replacements), or coming after the CBA expires. If the cap ceiling somehow grows even more rapidly than today, they’ll barely feel it.

They not only don’t have to cut anyone, but they don’t have make the cap shell game all in Cousins’ name. Tannenbaum used to do this plenty. If you win 1 SB it’s worth the scorched-earth year that probably eventually comes. Also the cap ceiling didn’t rise as fast back then, so it was harder for us to recover from such maneuvers.

Truth is they likely are parting ways with Talib so there’s one significant, cap-saving move right there. They supposedly threw in Talib in their (failed) offer for Alex Smith, so they’re clearly willing to say goodbye to Talib, particularly if it means they get an instant-starter at QB they otherwise couldn’t obtain. 

47 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Cousins said he'll take less money to play for a contender and demand more money to play for a loser.

Not once has he said this nor would he as contenders have QBs. What he has said has said is he’d make sacrifices to win because it’s not just about money, but that’s a different statement. 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

This.

9 hours ago, slats said:

Easily. 

This is ridiculous.

first of all, broncos have about 28M in 2018 and 31M in 2019.

second, does it sound reasonable that cousins would decide to take 80M upfront instead of 100M, with the notion that he'd earn the other guaranteed 20M in year 3? Maybe. God knows he has earned a ton of cash...but your idea that he voluntarily earns approximately 35M less in his first couple years is a stretch. He is going to take a 1M salary in his first 2 years instead of the ~20 that the Jets could offer? Thats a hell of a move.

then we get back to what Denver actually has, which is 28M right now (and ill give you the 10 that Talib will save), so 38M:

They pay cousins. Assuming he takes the crazy 1m deal referred to, that means denver have 38-14=24M to sign (or replace):

their starting tackle Stephenson

Their starting te Virgil Green

Their starting de jared crick

their starting ilb todd davis

Their starting C matt Paradis

and sign rookies

What about 2019? Theyll have 31M (plus talib’s 8M) so 39M (- Kirk’s lowball 14M), so 25M to sign:

their starting dt Peko

Their starting cb roby

their starting g max garcia

Then 2020 is supposed to be the holy grail. It makes sense because right now they have 116M in cap space. Then you have to remember that they will owe approximately 40M per year over the last 4 years to keep the number close to (29x6)=174M total.

So back to 2020, theyll have 116-40=76M. Though that number will obviously be lower with the players that will be signed in 2018 and 2019. and guess whos up for a contract now?

RT watson

CB Harris

WR Sanders

WR thomas

Olb shane ray

de derek wolfe

Denver can get him on the roster if they want. It would beyond idiotic. Denver can stay relevant by drafting Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold but signing cousins is just dumb

36 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

This is ridiculous.

second, does it sound reasonable that cousins would decide to take 80M upfront instead of 100M, with the notion that he'd earn the other guaranteed 20M in year 3? Maybe. God knows he has earned a ton of cash...but your idea that he voluntarily earns approximately 35M less in his first couple years is a stretch. He is going to take a 1M salary in his first 2 years instead of the ~20 that the Jets could offer? Thats a hell of a move.

then we get back to what Denver actually has, which is 28M right now (and ill give you the 10 that Talib will save), so 38M:

They pay cousins. Assuming he takes the crazy 1m deal referred to, that means denver have 38-14=24M to sign (or replace):

and sign rookies

What about 2019? Theyll have 31M (plus talib’s 8M) so 39M (- Kirk’s lowball 14M), so 25M to sign:

their starting dt Peko

Their starting cb roby

Then 2020 is supposed to be the holy grail. It makes sense because right now they have 116M in cap space. Then you have to remember that they will owe approximately 40M per year over the last 4 years to keep the number close to (29x6)=174M total.

So back to 2020, theyll have 116-40=76M. Though that number will obviously be lower with the players that will be signed in 2018 and 2019. and guess whos up for a contract now?

RT watson

CB Harris

WR Sanders

WR thomas

Olb shane ray

de derek wolfe

Denver can get him on the roster if they want. It would beyond idiotic. Denver can stay relevant by drafting Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold but signing cousins is just dumb

Denver can easily double their cap space in a weekend by just getting rid of bad contracts. They are no different than us. We have carpenter and Powell on the cut fence. You don’t think the broncos have similar players on the fence ? You are saying the jets wouldn’t cut carpenter and Powell to get cousins ? Lol 

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Denver can easily double their cap space in a weekend by just getting rid of bad contracts. They are no different than us. We have carpenter and Powell on the cut fence. You don’t think the broncos have similar players on the fence ? You are saying the jets wouldn’t cut carpenter and Powell to get cousins ? Lol 

Here, you can learn something.

Take a look at the graphic. Im not an expert, but the way it works, basically, is that the number on the far right is the cap hit for this year. The number to the left of that is the “dead money” number. Meaning if the guy is cut, the team could save the far right number, minus the number to the immediate left. The dead will still count against the cap. For example cutting Brandon marshall only saves 1M.

if you are familiar with the broncos roster, and you take in this information, and apply it to the graphic, youll see that denver can indeed clear money. The way that they can do it is by cutting their very best players. 

So, IF the jets really want kirk. Then this the conversation that ensues in  denver.

Kirk: “jets wanna give me 100m signing bonus. Theyre gonna give me a 6 year deal. So thats about 16m each year plus another 20M in salary over those two years! Even after my 35m cap hit, theyll have like 70m without cutting anyone that matters! They told me they want to sign a WR C CB ILB TE! They can get real good players at those spots. They also have awesome draft selections and maybe get even more if they csn trade down! I LIKE THAT! What can you do elway?

Elway: we can sign you for 80M signing bonus and 1M salary for your first 2 years! We can cut one of our best players Talib! Then we can squeeze you in! We can see if we can possibly even sign a C OT TE to replace the starters that are currently free agents for us! Dont worry though, we can make cap room by cutting Emmanuel sanders and demaryius thomas! Theyre old anyway right! You can just throw it to uhhh kenny bell! Or we can cut derek wolfe or chris harris!

Kirk: ROTFLMAO. Peace

C32A7781-7B83-47C0-BE97-479A035CFA9D.png

20 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Take a look at the graphic. Im not an expert, but the way it works, basically, is that the number on the far right is the cap hit for this year. The number to the left of that is the “dead money” number. Meaning if the guy is cut, the team could save the far right number, minus the number to the immediate left. The dead will still count against the cap. For example cutting Brandon marshall only saves 1M.

if you are familiar with the broncos roster, and you take in this information, and apply it to the graphic, youll see that denver can indeed clear money. The way that they can do it is by cutting their very best players. 

So, IF the jets really want kirk. Then this the conversation that ensues in  denver.

Kirk: “jets wanna give me 100m signing bonus. Theyre gonna give me a 6 year deal. So thats about 16m each year plus another 20M in salary over those two years! Even after my 35m cap hit, theyll have like 70m without cutting anyone that matters! They told me they want to sign a WR C CB ILB TE! They can get real good players at those spots. They also have awesome draft selections and maybe get even more if they csn trade down! I LIKE THAT! What can you do elway?

Elway: we can sign you for 80M signing bonus and 1M salary for your first 2 years! We can cut one of our best players Talib! Then we can squeeze you in! We can see if we can possibly even sign a C OT TE to replace the starters that are currently free agents for us! Dont worry though, we can make cap room by cutting Emmanuel sanders and demaryius thomas! Theyre old anyway right! You can just throw it to uhhh kenny bell! Or we can cut derek wolfe or chris harris!

Lol ohh boy. Let’s look at number 3 on your little list. They save 11 million ( only 1 mil cap hit ) by releasing  talib. They can also “ trade “ others who arent cut friendly. But just getting rid of Kalıb may be all they need. They can also “re-structure “ ever hear of that term?Use some intelligence next time son.  

37 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

So you are just going to pretend Elway cannot convnce Cousins? How come you did not open this convo with a wink and a toothy smile from Elway followed by a firm, dominant hand shake with full eye contact the whole time? 

The Broncos were always going to cut Talib from their championship caliber roster. Since they are probably the deepest and winningest 5-11 team the world has ever seen this is not a big deal. Vance Joseph will just plug in another Elway stud. You don’t even get it. 

Cousins wants to win. Do you know who won in 1998, 1999, and 2015? The Broncos. Do you know who was there? John Elway. Do the math. 5-11...2015....Notice the similarities? 

22 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

So you are just going to pretend Elway cannot convnce Cousins? How come you did not open this convo with a wink and a toothy smile from Elway followed by a firm, dominant hand shake with full eye contact the whole time? 

The Broncos were always going to cut Talib from their championship caliber roster. Since they are probably the deepest and winningest 5-11 team the world has ever seen this is not a big deal. Vance Joseph will just plug in another Elway stud. You don’t even get it. 

Cousins wants to win. Do you know who won in 1998, 1999, and 2015? The Broncos. Do you know who was there? John Elway. Do the math. 5-11...2015....Notice the similarities? 

It’s going to be a tough sell for elway. Todd Bowles sure can be persuasive. “ Well Kirk, defense comes first, second and 3rd. Run blockers and rbs are a distant 4th and 5th.. but I want a qb who has mastered the art of the handoff. We may run on first and 2nd downs 80% of time. Why I need a qb who can excel on throwing 3rd and long when the D knows it’s coming”

6 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

This is ridiculous.

and sign rookies

their starting dt Peko

Their starting cb roby

RT watson

CB Harris

WR Sanders

WR thomas

Olb shane ray

de derek wolfe

Hey, think it's 51mm for 2019, and people keep bringing up Talib which would bring space up to appx 60mm.

I don't think anybody including Cousins would care what year they got their money if it were guaranteed. 

15 hours ago, slats said:

Easily. 

...2019 cap space is 51.6mm and 2020 cap space 138mm...

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol ohh boy. Let’s look at number 3 on your little list. They save 11 million ( only 1 mil cap hit ) by releasing  talib. They can also “ trade “ others who arent cut friendly. But just getting rid of Kalıb may be all they need. They can also “re-structure “ ever hear of that term?Use some intelligence next time son.  

Cuttingn talib was included in the numbers i produced. See my post. 

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the Broncos can’t realistically afford Cousins, why is every major media source I’ve seen have Denver as Cousins most likely destination?

They can afford him. But they have to cut or restructure their best players to do it. Beginning right off the bat with talib.

Cousins would have to take alot less money than jets could conceivably offer in the first 2 years anyway.

If cousins wants long term stability and he wants to win, then at least in theory he would want to be somewhere where he has long-term ability to win. Sanders and Thomas 31 now. The oLine already coming apart now with starters contracts due. A myriad of their other starters have contracts coming due.

Theyre headed for a cap hell should they get Cousins and try to keep any semblance of that team together. If thats the route they choose then theyll leave themselves with little to no money to make any other moves.

Just last week the big thing was how Broncos would get Mayfield. I still think theyll take Mayfield or another QB high. Theres really good options who would also be cheap af, especially in comparison to kirk. Even if denver wants to make cousins signing happen, kirk’s agent should be pointing out to kirk how it would handcuff denver’s abilith to sign other contracts in the future.

If the 2019 cap space is 51M instead of the 31M figure i was finding then of course i agree that helps Denver some. still would be tough sledding for denver though

Denver can certainly push money around to make it happen but I do think Kirk would be leaving a lot on the table by going there. I can't get mad if we miss out on him because he took less money, just looks to build up our team and go all in for a QB come draft time. The nice situation we have this year is we have the options to go either route and have more ammo than anyone else to move up in the draft.

6 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

The bold is not my idea, it's your misunderstanding. 

The Jets aren't going to offer him a $100M signing bonus. What they will offer is $100M guaranteed, which is something completely different. They'll guarantee his first three years salary, and either part of the fourth or throw him a modest signing bonus. The Jets have the cap room to create a more team friendly deal, one they will be able to get out of after three years with minimal cap damage if Cousins isn't living up to it. 

My post demonstrating how easily Denver could get the deal done was just that: a demonstration. I don't expect that to be the final version, it was just an illustration. But Denver will have to give him a much larger signing bonus than the Jets will and, as a result, he would have much more money in the first couple years of the deal from Denver than he would from the Jets. 

7 hours ago, jetrider said:

Cousins said he'll take less money to play for a contender and demand more money to play for a loser.

That's how Denver can afford Cousins while the Jets need to pay him the whole farm.

$40 million less?

Btw we have a ton of cap room and our schedule next year is shaping up to be easier than expected 

19 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I wish it was that simple.

It isn’t but not for the reasons other posters in the thread think

pro atheletes actually pay income tax, prorated, in all states they play games in so it really doesn’t matter where he lives. It’s called the jock tax

8 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

This is ridiculous.

and sign rookies

their starting dt Peko

Their starting cb roby

RT watson

CB Harris

WR Sanders

WR thomas

Olb shane ray

de derek wolfe

What’s “ridiculous” is your thinking the Jets will be offering Cousins a $100m signing bonus, followed by an attempt to mock someone else for not believing in this Santa Claus story. 

As it is, Denver apparently made a strong pitch for Alex Smith. This would surely then come with an extension offer just like Washington did, and there isn’t going to be even a $10m/year disparity between a Smith extension and a new Cousins contract. 

So it’s “ridiculous” to think Denver couldn’t clear or restructure another $5-8m more space than it would have taken to fit Alex Smith.

I’m not saying they’re any type of lock to outbid us, but of course they’re able to do it. Ultimately, teams are limited by what they’re willing to pay as much as what they’re presently able to pay, and even the Jets with all that cap room surely will (and should) have a limit for what they’re willing to pay for Cousins. The question for both teams is what number makes such a transaction imprudent, given that they both have similarly high picks in a QB-rich draft.

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It isn’t but not for the reasons other posters in the thread think

pro atheletes actually pay income tax, prorated, in all states they play games in so it really doesn’t matter where he lives. It’s called the jock tax

Thanks interesting point. On a personal experience level I live and work in NY and for years we had a second home in an income tax free state. I was not able to legally use the tax free state as my primary res for state income tax purposes. 

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What’s “ridiculous” is your thinking the Jets will be offering Cousins a $100m signing bonus, followed by an attempt to mock someone else for not believing in this Santa Claus story. 

As it is, Denver apparently made a strong pitch for Alex Smith. This would surely then come with an extension offer just like Washington did, and there isn’t going to be even a $10m/year disparity between a Smith extension and a new Cousins contract. 

So it’s “ridiculous” to think Denver couldn’t clear or restructure another $5-8m more space than it would have taken to fit Alex Smith.

I’m not saying they’re any type of lock to outbid us, but of course they’re able to do it. Ultimately, teams are limited by what they’re willing to pay as much as what they’re presently able to pay, and even the Jets with all that cap room surely will (and should) have a limit for what they’re willing to pay for Cousins. The question for both teams is what number makes such a transaction imprudent, given that they both have similarly high picks in a QB-rich draft.

Neither you nor I know what the Jets will do. 

The Jets will be offering some kind of ridiculous signing bonus and amount of guaranteed money. If you want to stick to 80M fine. I cant pretend to know. What i do know, is that a 100M signing bonus, prorated over 6 years is only 3M per year more of a cap hit than 80M bonus.

What i do know is that slats suggested that Kirk would be willing to take something in the direction of 1M (or a similarly teeny number) in salary in his first two years. Sounds crazy when jets could offer something like 20M, as the jets would be able to absorb 35M cap hits in those first 2 years. The jets numbers could then go back to earth, relatively speaking, into the mid 20s over the last 4 years. 

If the broncos sign him with those paltry 2 first years then theyre looking at paying him with an average cap hit around 40M. Again, this is while they have some space with the ability to gsy more but cutting Sanders or Thomas or Harris or Wolfe or Peko—ya know the guys that make the team apparently “good.”

I know youre intelligent so why are you being dense and ignoring the whole point. Denver can make space. In doing so theyll be dropping some of their best players. Talib is just the tip of the iceberg. I laid all of this out already.

1 minute ago, BrickTamland said:

Neither you nor I know what the Jets will do. 

The Jets will be offering some kind of ridiculous signing bonus and amount of guaranteed money. If you want to stick to 80M fine. I cant pretend to know. What i do know, is that a 100M signing bonus, prorated over 6 years is only 3M per year more of a cap hit than 80M bonus.

What i do know is that slats suggested that Kirk would be willing to take something in the direction of 1M (or a similarly teeny number) in salary in his first two years. Sounds crazy when jets could offer something like 20M, as the jets would be able to absorb 35M cap hits in those first 2 years. The jets numbers could then go back to earth, relatively speaking, into the mid 20s over the last 4 years. 

If the broncos sign him with those paltry 2 first years then theyre looking at paying him with an average cap hit around 40M. Again, this is while they have some space with the ability to gsy more but cutting Sanders or Thomas or Harris or Wolfe or Peko—ya know the guys that make the team apparently “good.”

I know youre intelligent so why are you being dense and ignoring the whole point. Denver can make space. In doing so theyll be dropping some of their best players. Talib is just the tip of the iceberg. I laid all of this out already.

Once again, the Jets will not be offering a $100M bonus. They will try to get the deal done with as little bonus money as possible with all the guarantees coming in the form of guaranteed salary. They will put together a deal they can get out of after three years if Cousins isn't working out. Think the Wilkerson deal on a larger scale. They gave him $53M guaranteed, but only $15M was in the form of a signing bonus. 

Denver, on the other hand, with their lack of cap space, will be forced to give him a larger bonus to lower the first year cap hit. But that would be fine with Cousins, who would get more money upfront than the Jets would be offering, even if his salary was only that theoretical $1M in 2018. 

Archived