Salary cap Gurus - how does DEN pull off Cousins?

Paradis

The contract offers will probably be similar (in terms of guarantees). Yes there is an income tax disparity for some states, and that will play into it maybe a little bit, but I don't think that last penny of guaranteed additional take-home money is going to be the end-all. If one team blows him away with money beyond all others, he almost assuredly goes there. Consider 2 other reasons, if their offer is at least in the same ballpark:

Recognition

Cousins hates that he's been lowballed and tagged, and surely feels this wouldn't have happened if his numbers were higher. Any athlete in his position wants to prove he's right up there with the game's best. For a QB, that means passing yards and passing TDs. He's going to want to go somewhere that his numbers will eclipse even the numbers he put up in Washington. Should he choose someplace like Denver, you'll hear him cite reasons like, "This was just the best fit for me," and what he means is they're going to give him the opportunity to pass for 5000 yards and 30-40 TDs. Not even the Jets' most optimistic fans can seriously say that's likely to happen here. Our OL sucks, our receivers are meh, there's no TE on the roster either, and Bowles is a big fat pussy who just fired Morton because having them 25th in pass attempts was too aggressive for him.

The local media can also play into this area. Cousins can say all he wants that he can handle it, but c'mon nobody likes tabloid vultures and we've got more than anyone, especially in an area where more than 50% of NFL fans are fans of another NFL team. 

Longevity

Not unrelated to the above, I'm sure part of Denver's pitch - whether anyone here agrees with it or not - will be that playing for the Jets will plummet his value by the time the guaranteed portion is expired. He'll be a rich man anywhere he goes, but if the Jets' offer is $180m with $100m gtd, of course he'd jump on it if all $180m was guaranteed. They'll pitch him that he's more likely to play out his full contract there than in NY, and pocket all $180m of it, because his value will stay high there while he'll be reduced to game-manager here. After this contract is over - or even entering the final year - if he goes to them he's more likely to get an early extension to stay as their starter at big money, or hit FA again with his value still sky high.

He could further try to show the Jets don't place nearly high enough value on their OL. This wouldn't be hard to convince, seeing as how in 3 years out of 3, with all the draft picks and all the high contracts handed out, Macc's taken nobody higher than a round 5 RT (who is just meh himself so far), combined with signing/extending only middle and lower level veterans. 

Whether you like it or not - and not one of us likes it - these are not unrealistically the perceptions across the country, to those who aren't diehard NYJ fans believing the team is always on the right track. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on timing, this might be a good reason to go hard after Norwell and Jensen.  Sign both of those guys right off the line in FA and it's a very different look when appealing to Cousins.  Even if we don't get him, they would be huge improvements to our OL which would help a rookie or another FA just as much.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Once again, the Jets will not be offering a $100M bonus. They will try to get the deal done with as little bonus money as possible with all the guarantees coming in the form of guaranteed salary. They will put together a deal they can get out of after three years if Cousins isn't working out. Think the Wilkerson deal on a larger scale. They gave him $53M guaranteed, but only $15M was in the form of a signing bonus. 

Denver, on the other hand, with their lack of cap space, will be forced to give him a larger bonus to lower the first year cap hit. But that would be fine with Cousins, who would get more money upfront than the Jets would be offering, even if his salary was only that theoretical $1M in 2018. 

I appreciate this. However this is operating under the assumption that the jets dont really want to get their feet wet.

ive been operating under the assumption that the jets are in it to win it.

Stafford just got 50M in SB. Even if the 100SB is out of hand, it aint going below 50. I would agree if you said jets might offer 70SB. Wilk was a risky guy from the start and a DE. So hes not relevant as far as i can tell.

Why wouldnt jets match whatever broncos do? If they want to bow out because they dont want to commit long term, then sure, this conversation is moot. Theyll cheap out on SB and its game over. 

16 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Neither you nor I know what the Jets will do. 

The Jets will be offering some kind of ridiculous signing bonus and amount of guaranteed money. If you want to stick to 80M fine. I cant pretend to know. What i do know, is that a 100M signing bonus, prorated over 6 years is only 3M per year more of a cap hit than 80M bonus.

What i do know is that slats suggested that Kirk would be willing to take something in the direction of 1M (or a similarly teeny number) in salary in his first two years. Sounds crazy when jets could offer something like 20M, as the jets would be able to absorb 35M cap hits in those first 2 years. The jets numbers could then go back to earth, relatively speaking, into the mid 20s over the last 4 years. 

If the broncos sign him with those paltry 2 first years then theyre looking at paying him with an average cap hit around 40M. Again, this is while they have some space with the ability to gsy more but cutting Sanders or Thomas or Harris or Wolfe or Peko—ya know the guys that make the team apparently “good.”

I know youre intelligent so why are you being dense and ignoring the whole point. Denver can make space. In doing so theyll be dropping some of their best players. Talib is just the tip of the iceberg. I laid all of this out already.

Yeah, we do know that the Jets will not offer Cousins a $100m signing bonus. I'm sure it won't even be the $80m @slats said but he was just making a point to show just how low his cap number could get this year. The biggest signing bonus ever is the $50m SB that Stafford just got.

So yes, I do know the Jets aren't doubling Stafford's $50m SB, particularly while they have so much cap room. There is zero sense in such an offer. Teams push guaranteed money into signing bonuses to lessen the immediate cap hit. The Jets have no such cap issues so there's no reason for such a ridiculous signing bonus.

The way they could do it is because you see things as being binary: keep players at their current contract or dump them. In reality, teams restructure multiple players if there's a current strain, and the players are always happy to comply because they get more money up front and are therefore less likely to get cut soon thereafter.

You didn't lay out how the Broncos could fit Alex Smith at some $24m/year but they couldn't possibly fit Kirk Cousins at $30m/year. Make that case. Be sure to factor in the extra cost of signing a veteran starter north of $5m/year, to take the place of the cheap 2nd round draft pick they'd have traded away in the Alex Smith offer.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, we do know that the Jets will not offer Cousins a $100m signing bonus. I'm sure it won't even be the $80m @slats said but he was just making a point to show just how low his cap number could get this year. The biggest signing bonus ever is the $50m SB that Stafford just got.

So yes, I do know the Jets aren't doubling Stafford's $50m SB, particularly while they have so much cap room. There is zero sense in such an offer. Teams push guaranteed money into signing bonuses to lessen the immediate cap hit. The Jets have no such cap issues so there's no reason for such a ridiculous signing bonus.

The way they could do it is because you see things as being binary: keep players at their current contract or dump them. In reality, teams restructure multiple players if there's a current strain, and the players are always happy to comply because they get more money up front and are therefore less likely to get cut soon thereafter.

You didn't lay out how the Broncos could fit Alex Smith at some $24m/year but they couldn't possibly fit Kirk Cousins at $30m/year. Make that case. Be sure to factor in the extra cost of signing a veteran starter north of $5m/year, to take the place of the cheap 2nd round draft pick they'd have traded away in the Alex Smith offer.

I get the SB prorating and how denver can squeeze him in. 

Do you get how Denver will be effed over if they do this.

If youre never gonna see the light i cant keep wasting my time. 

13 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I appreciate this. However this is operating under the assumption that the jets dont really want to get their feet wet.

ive been operating under the assumption that the jets are in it to win it.

Stafford just got 50M in SB. Even if the 100SB is out of hand, it aint going below 50. I would agree if you said jets might offer 70SB. Wilk was a risky guy from the start and a DE. So hes not relevant as far as i can tell.

Why wouldnt jets match whatever broncos do? If they want to bow out because they dont want to commit long term, then sure, this conversation is moot. Theyll cheap out on SB and its game over. 

The Jets will probably offer more money than Denver, and more guaranteed money, but they will structure it in a way that benefits the team the most. That means no record-setting signing bonus. The Jets have the room to swallow a lot of Cousins' potential deal upfront, and that's exactly what they will do. Mac designs contracts he can get out of down the road, and he will do the same with Cousins. A $50M signing bonus leaves $25M in dead money after three years on a six year deal, that's a lot more than Mac will want there. 

3 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Denver will have $38M this year and close to $60M next year just by clearing Talib. They have the room to maneuver if they want to get a Cousins deal done. 

8 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

See the light, lol. 

It's. Almost. The. Same. Cost. For. Cousins. And. Smith. Once. You. Also. Add. The. Veteran. FA. Starter. To. Take. The. Place. Of. The. High. 2nd. Rounder. They. Were. Going. To. Trade. To. The. Chiefs.

See that light. 

Also see the light that a team that feels they can win another SB right now is willing to take the chance of a reset year down the road. The Jets did that multiple times in the past decade alone, with 2 reset years following after that. Only we tried it while fielding ****ing Mark Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick as the QBs. 

26 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets will probably offer more money than Denver, and more guaranteed money, but they will structure it in a way that benefits the team the most. That means no record-setting signing bonus. The Jets have the room to swallow a lot of Cousins' potential deal upfront, and that's exactly what they will do. Mac designs contracts he can get out of down the road, and he will do the same with Cousins. A $50M signing bonus leaves $25M in dead money after three years on a six year deal, that's a lot more than Mac will want there. 

Denver will have $38M this year and close to $60M next year just by clearing Talib. They have the room to maneuver if they want to get a Cousins deal done. 

Yes, if Mac skimps out by giving his team the out after 3 years then i get your point.

In my opinion, this is different than a BS declining Revis and a borderline lazyboy Wilkerson. That being the case, he can and should hand that money over in SB. Handcuff the team to Cousins. Frankly its exactly what cousins wants. Money, commitment, and a team that can provide a continuous winning product.

Jets can put hits of 35,35 in first couple years and lessen the strain a bit down the road. Conversely to Denver whose hits will just continue escalating while all of their other good players are hitting FA. 

Site i checjed said 40M in 2019 after talib gone. Idk which number is right

If Mac is halfassing this contract, despite the fact that his team has almost no other players to worry about signing (only williams in a few years) then yup, its game over. A good gm who doesnt pussyfoot around gets this done.

2 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Yes, if Mac skimps out by giving his team the out after 3 years then i get your point.

In my opinion, this is different than a BS declining Revis and a borderline lazyboy Wilkerson. That being the case, he can and should hand that money over in SB. Handcuff the team to Cousins. Frankly its exactly what cousins wants. Money, commitment, and a team that can provide a continuous winning product.

Jets can put hits of 35,35 in first couple years and lessen the strain a bit down the road. Conversely to Denver whose hits will just continue escalating while all of their other good players are hitting FA. 

If Mac is halfassing this contract, despite the fact that his team has almost no other players to worry about signing (only williams in a few years) then yup, its game over. A good gm who doesnt pussyfoot around gets this done.

He would not be skimping or half-assing or pussyfooting if he's offering the most money but structuring it in a way that benefits the team. That would just be smart business. And given his track record and the Jets current cap space, that's exactly what you can expect. A team like Denver would do the same thing if they had the excess room, but they don't, so they'll be forced to do the big bonus as a result. 

The fact is that the Jets and Denver could offer the same total money and have it result in the same amount of money in the first year with entirely different structures. Denver could do a $50M signing bonus with a $1M salary, and the Jets could do a $20M bonus with a $31M salary (and again, these specific numbers are just an illustration). 

Huge signing bonuses are not good business. 

39 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets will probably offer more money than Denver, and more guaranteed money, but they will structure it in a way that benefits the team the most.

Everyone will do this, including Denver as they will have to buy a new team  to land Cousins. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

He would not be skimping or half-assing or pussyfooting if he's offering the most money but structuring it in a way that benefits the team. That would just be smart business. And given his track record and the Jets current cap space, that's exactly what you can expect. A team like Denver would do the same thing if they had the excess room, but they don't, so they'll be forced to do the big bonus as a result. 

The fact is that the Jets and Denver could offer the same total money and have it result in the same amount of money in the first year with entirely different structures. Denver could do a $50M signing bonus with a $1M salary, and the Jets could do a $20M bonus with a $31M salary (and again, these specific numbers are just an illustration). 

Huge signing bonuses are not good business. 

Respectfully disagree. 

If and this is a big if, cousins really even is a legitimate target for the jets, then Mac (hopefully) sees all this too and understands Denver’s play.

While realizing that team-friendly deals are great, and it would be nice to give ourselves an out, i do think that Mac would be committing an error if he fails to match Denver’s SB offer, or at least come close.

In my opinion, a team-friendly deal for Cousins would be great but the main goal here is to sign the guy. Naturally, there has to be a breaking point. I dont know if the magic number is 80guaranteed, or 180 total or whatever.

My point is that Jets can get more to Cousins upfront should they so desire. Additionally, the potential trajectories for the jets would still trend upwards even with his huge contract.

Meanwhile Denver would instantly begin to release players and restructure players just to fit him. I think i listed 7 or so starters whose contracts are up combined in 2018 and 2019. Theyd be doing a disservice to the team and the overall trajectory for the next 5 years would point down. If the number is in fact 60 for 2018 that helps Denver of course. Its still a fast pace towards losing good players and cap hell.

3 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Respectfully disagree. 

If and this is a big if, cousins really even is a legitimate target for the jets, then Mac (hopefully) sees all this too and understands Denver’s play.

While realizing that team-friendly deals are great, and it would be nice to give ourselves an out, i do think that Mac would be committing an error if he fails to match Denver’s SB offer, or at least come close.

In my opinion, a team-friendly deal for Cousins would be great but the main goal here is to sign the guy. Naturally, there has to be a breaking point. I dont know if the magic number is 80guaranteed, or 180 total or whatever.

My point is that Jets can get more to Cousins upfront should they so desire. Additionally, the potential trajectories for the jets would still trend upwards even with his huge contract.

Meanwhile Denver would instantly begin to release players and restructure players just to fit him. I think i listed 7 or so starters whose contracts are up combined in 2018 and 2019. Theyd be doing a disservice to the team and the overall trajectory for the next 5 years would point down. If the number is in fact 60 for 2018 that helps Denver of course. Its still a fast pace towards losing good players and cap hell.

Okay. 

I suspect that as far as Cousins is concerned guaranteed money is guaranteed money and it wouldn't matter to him how it got paid out. If the Jets are offering more total money and more guaranteed money but Denver is offering a larger signing bonus, the Jets' offer would still be the better offer. It's not like he's coming off his rookie deal and is hungry for a huge payday, this is a guy who's pocketed $44M over the last two seasons. He's gonna get by. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Okay. 

I suspect that as far as Cousins is concerned guaranteed money is guaranteed money and it wouldn't matter to him how it got paid out. If the Jets are offering more total money and more guaranteed money but Denver is offering a larger signing bonus, the Jets' offer would still be the better offer. It's not like he's coming off his rookie deal and is hungry for a huge payday, this is a guy who's pocketed $44M over the last two seasons. He's gonna get by. 

Got it. I think that is true in part. Except people probably always want their money as upfront as can be.

dont you agree that Denver is long term doomed with cousins? 

More importantly doesnt it make sense that cousins would want to be involved in the growth of a team with serious resources as opposed to a team that will be leaking parts  just to sign him?

Cap is irrelevant to signing Cousins by the Broncos. It has been an assumption all season he winds up in Denver not sure what is different now. There are just so many dials to turn to make it happen that if they want him they could sign him/ All that really matters is guaranteed money so they could defer money with signing bonuses and guaranteed roster bonuses and voidable years and on and on and on. They can restructure other players well and extend the "nuclear" cut year out several years. They can easily make it happen

It is a complete non-issue.

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Cap is irrelevant to signing Cousins by the Broncos. It has been an assumption all season he winds up in Denver not sure what is different now. There are just so many dials to turn to make it happen that if they want him they could sign him/ All that really matters is guaranteed money so they could defer money with signing bonuses and guaranteed roster bonuses and voidable years and on and on and on. They can restructure other players well and extend the "nuclear" cut year out several years. They can easily make it happen

It is a complete non-issue.

Kirk was supposedly heading to SF all year. 

24 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Got it. I think that is true in part. Except people probably always want their money as upfront as can be.

dont you agree that Denver is long term doomed with cousins? 

More importantly doesnt it make sense that cousins would want to be involved in the growth of a team with serious resources as opposed to a team that will be leaking parts  just to sign him?

I think the whole cap hell thing is overblown. They can sign Cousins to a cap friendly deal for the first couple years, trade back for more picks from the #5 spot, restructure a couple contracts and be just fine. They're considered a favorite because they're interested. You can rest assured that they have a plan in place to compete with Cousins under contract, otherwise they wouldn't be pursuing him. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

If the Broncos can’t realistically afford Cousins, why is every major media source I’ve seen have Denver as Cousins most likely destination?

Because no one cares about the Super Bowl and there’s a whole month of content to create between now and the combine. 

Denver can fit him, no one’s arguing that. Their problem is that they can only fit him, and only by cutting some of their best and most respected players. Guys the same age as Cousins that have won before have to be cut. JN mathnastics are working on the spin of why that is a good and appealing thing.

“Reports” are claiming that denver is near a deal for cousins. 

Cant wait to roll my eyes at people saying told you so.

But really cant wait to watch denver implode over the next few years.

But really really cant wait to see us use all our draft resources to trade up.

But really really really cant wait to draft Josh Allen.

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Because no one cares about the Super Bowl and there’s a whole month of content to create between now and the combine. 

Denver can fit him, no one’s arguing that. Their problem is that they can only fit him, and only by cutting some of their best and most respected players. Guys the same age as Cousins that have won before have to be cut. JN mathnastics are working on the spin of why that is a good and appealing thing.

That's simply untrue. 

They're dumping Talib, not because they need cap room but because they're tired of him. At that point, they'll have $38M in cap space this year, and $60M next year. With just one move. They can create a very Kirk friendly deal with a low cap number in the first couple years. Something with a cap number under $20M if they want. 

You want to poo-poo it with your adorably grating sarcasm, but one thing John Elway can tell Cousins that Mike Maccagnan can't is, "I've built a Super Bowl Champion before." If you don't think that carries weight, you're being naive. 

I don't understand why it's so damaging to you that other teams are interested in Cousins and also have a lot to offer him. With the transition tag essentially off the table, I suspect a lot of teams who initially didn't think they had a shot at Cousins are reevaluating the situation. Cousins is going to be visiting quite a few NFL cities the last week of winter. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

That's simply untrue. 

They're dumping Talib, not because they need cap room but because they're tired of him. At that point, they'll have $38M in cap space this year, and $60M next year. With just one move. They can create a very Kirk friendly deal with a low cap number in the first couple years. Something with a cap number under $20M if they want. 

You want to poo-poo it with your adorably grating sarcasm, but one thing John Elway can tell Cousins that Mike Maccagnan can't is, "I've built a Super Bowl Champion before." If you don't think that carries weight, you're being naive. 

I don't understand why it's so damaging to you that other teams are interested in Cousins and also have a lot to offer him. With the transition tag essentially off the table, I suspect a lot of teams who initially didn't think they had a shot at Cousins are reevaluating the situation. Cousins is going to be visiting quite a few NFL cities the last week of winter. 

How big of a signing bonus is possible? Or guaranteed money, whatever it is? Pretty sure that would be the biggest factor in the contracts, how much will he get when he signs and what he's promised even if he were to get hurt the next day. 

22 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

We'll see mate.  Folks like you literally have their Cousins Jersey's and Posters already in-hand.  I think you're jumping the gun just ever so slightly.

There are alot of teams, with alot of interest, and the Cap management/manipulation isn't as difficult or as "tear it all down" costly as you think IMO.

So we'll see.  If you're right, Cousins will be a Jet on or about the first day of FA.

If you're wrong, he won't.

So we'll see.

people are also discounting the fact that Elway is cocky enough to refuse to capitulate to the type of contract demands Cousins and his agent will be looking for.

If he was trying to land Smith going so far as offering Talib in the package, then he doesn't feel he needs the best FA QB in order to win.  Just a serviceable one.

At the end of the day he may decide to roll with Keenum or AJ Mccaron and use the saved cap space to improve other parts of their 5-11 roster.

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

How big of a signing bonus is possible? Or guaranteed money, whatever it is? Pretty sure that would be the biggest factor in the contracts, how much will he get when he signs and what he's promised even if he were to get hurt the next day. 

Who knows? The rumor posted here is the Jets preparing a $180M offer with $100M guaranteed. That's as good a place to start as any. A team with a lot of cap room, like the Jets, can front load such a contract with large guaranteed salaries. A more cap-restrained team, like the Broncos, would have to go larger on the bonus with low first and second year salaries to spread it out over the course of the contract. 

I expect his offers to all be in roughly the same ballpark, similar total and guaranteed dollars, but structured in ways that work with each individual team. 

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

people are also discounting the fact that Elway is cocky enough to refuse to capitulate to the type of contract demands Cousins and his agent will be looking for.

If he was trying to land Smith going so far as offering Talib in the package, then he doesn't feel he needs the best FA QB in order to win.  Just a serviceable one.

At the end of the day he may decide to roll with Keenum or AJ Mccaron.

They were trying to trade for Smith at a time when they most likely believed that Cousins would get the transition tag. Such a tag would've made it hard for them to create a contract that would've been hard for Washington to match. Now that the possibility of that tag being placed has been all but eliminated, they've set their eyes on a bigger prize. Smith was a better option than all the rest of the impending free agent QBs, but Cousins is better than Smith. If they're serious about him, they don't have any delusions about what it's going to cost. 

11 minutes ago, slats said:

That's simply untrue. 

They're dumping Talib,

I like how these lines came back to back. The #2 corner on their recent SB team, still one of the better corners in the league, third starter from the loaded 2015 secondary to get cut....And he might not even be the only starter to get cut (plenty of talk about the C, a WR, and the RB).  

If you don't think that carries weight, you're being naive. 

The JN angle is that Cousins will take a discount from a bottom 5 team because they won a Super Bowl three years ago when the current roster was young, cheap, and better. I don’t see how that is anything but naive itself. 

don't understand why it's so damaging to you that other teams are interested in Cousins and also have a lot to offer him

Well clearly you don’t understand. I’ve named Cousins suitors and long embraced the competition there will be for him.  As I explained to Hess and probably others - it’s reading the JN Math that sucks me - the propping up of the Broncos here especially. 

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The JN angle is that Cousins will take a discount from a bottom 5 team because they won a Super Bowl three years ago when the current roster was young, cheap, and better. I don’t see how that is anything but naive itself. 

I don't see anyone suggesting that he'd go to Denver at a discount. I certainly haven't. 

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We'll see mate.  Folks like you literally have their Cousins Jersey's and Posters already in-hand.  I think you're jumping the gun just ever so slightly.

There are alot of teams, with alot of interest, and the Cap management/manipulation isn't as difficult or as "tear it all down" costly as you think IMO.

So we'll see.  If you're right, Cousins will be a Jet on or about the first day of FA.

If you're wrong, he won't.

So we'll see.

I fully expect the Jets to blow it. Not because the Broncos are secretly a powerhouse with tons of flexibility or because anyone can match the Jets’ available money, all that sh*t is nonsense. It’s just the most Jets thing that can happen, the basic principle behind all JN Math for Jah’s sake. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

I fully expect the Jets to blow it. Not because the Broncos are secretly a powerhouse with tons of flexibility or because anyone can match the Jets’ available money, all that sh*t is nonsense. It’s just the most Jets thing that can happen, the basic principle behind all JN Math for Jah’s sake. 

Yeah. Its crazy.

Spent so much damn time explaining why i think jets should get him and why i think jets are also best fit for him. 

And yet i completely expect them to swing and miss. 

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't see anyone suggesting that he'd go to Denver at a discount. I certainly haven't. 

Its long been suggested, all that’s required is to maintain denials individually and as a group until everyone gets bored or Cousins signs. My boredom started kicking in when I had to provide a LMGTFY link for the time value of money four times to the same poster talking backloading over and over in the same thread. 

21 hours ago, Grandy said:

They have a beast Defense, and good offensive pieces, but lack a QB. They would be a 10-6+ team if they had a guy like Cousins under center. QB is literally the only thing holding them back from putting out another team like the one under Manning.

Joseph couldn’t coach the Pats to 10 wins.  

I think everyone is overrating Denver’s talent.  They are older than the core of the Jets.  For a team that won the SB a few years ago, the current team has no idea how to win.  

I’m addition to the younger core, the Jets have the cap space to add additional pieces to put around him.  

Denver will need close to $10M for their draft and practice squad and no one has even considered any of their current free agents.  

Sure they can cut a ton of their roster to sign Cousins.  But why would Cousins want to go there is you are cutting their starting WRs and RB?  Their defense is another year older and with Talib going they have a gaping whole at CB.  Cousins doesn’t make the Broncos a playoff team.

The Jets could realistically sign Watkins, Richburg, and McKinnon (RB Min) and draft Connor Williams and Billy Price.  There is nothing that Denver could potentially do to top that.

20 hours ago, The Walrus said:

Archived