Salary cap Gurus - how does DEN pull off Cousins?

Paradis

37 minutes ago, Pac said:

people are also discounting the fact that Elway is cocky enough to refuse to capitulate to the type of contract demands Cousins and his agent will be looking for.

If he was trying to land Smith going so far as offering Talib in the package, then he doesn't feel he needs the best FA QB in order to win.  Just a serviceable one.

At the end of the day he may decide to roll with Keenum or AJ Mccaron and use the saved cap space to improve other parts of their 5-11 roster.

Or he felt he didn't have to go overboard for Smith since the other team in the Smith sweepstakes is guaranteed to be parting ways with a FQB a few weeks later if they prevailed. 

If the competition in trading for Smith was between Denver and a non-Redskins team, then perhaps Denver's top offer would have been higher. They weren't in a binary situation of Alex Smith or taking a chance in the draft.

More likely is Elway thinking, "If Smith's cost goes above a certain level, I may as well just sit back, sign Cousins in FA, keep all my draft pick(s), and trade Talib to someone else for yet another draft pick."

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Yeah. Its crazy.

Spent so much damn time explaining why i think jets should get him and why i think jets are also best fit for him. 

And yet i completely expect them to swing and miss. 

lol. If it matters I appreciated your approach compared to the other. No one challenges the Jets on resources this offseason except Cleveland, who has more, but it will all be for naught. 

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

More likely is Elway thinking, "If Smith's cost goes above a certain level, I may as well just sit back, sign Cousins in FA, keep all my draft pick(s), and trade Talib to someone else for yet another draft pick."

That's reckless.

I don't think Elway is as confident about signing Cousins as many of you are.  Unless the reports I've read are untrue, Cousins seems to be highly meticulous and is guided by many factors.  He's not going to leap into Elways arms just because he flashes that enormous toothy smile and wears 2 SB rings when they meet.

He's going to take all the visits,  write down a notebooks worth of pros and cons for each location, ask God what he should do, then make his choice.

God might hate the Broncos.

57 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I fully expect the Jets to blow it. Not because the Broncos are secretly a powerhouse with tons of flexibility or because anyone can match the Jets’ available money, all that sh*t is nonsense. It’s just the most Jets thing that can happen, the basic principle behind all JN Math for Jah’s sake. 

Ah, the best of both worlds for you. 

Spout a bunch of baseless sh*t about how no one but the Jets can really afford it, then when Cousins goes elsewhere, spam a bunch of baseless sh*t about how only Macc could have screwed it all up.

A win/win I suppose for some folks.

The truth is that the Jets can throw more money at Kirk while not completely restraining themselves in terms of who else they can land in FA moving forward. Let's say Denver can compete with a formidable offer. Maybe Kirk decides to go there. He'd be joining a team that needs to win in the next year or two and then face a steep drop off. 

However, IF Mac really wants Kirk he's gonna throw way more than Denver. Who's gonna turn down 30+ more million? If he comes to NY his organization would make a lot money and he would have a lot more options in terms of getting his brand out there/ advertising/ etc. Yeah he's made a lot of money over the last two years but you're crazy if you think he's gonna turn down tens of millions of dollars to play in Denver IMO. 

I think something to take into consideration is that whoever signs him will be making him the face of their franchise. What better way to start off that relationship than by saying "Hey Kirk, we know you're a guy who watches all aspects of the game and is knowledgeable on all fronts. After signing you, we'll still have a ton of cap space. Who are some free agents that you would like to ride into battle with?" Not only does this show that we are going all in but he will have a ton of trust with his supporting cast. 

Just now, Pac said:

That's reckless.

I don't think Elway is as confident about signing Cousins as many of you are.  Unless the reports I've read are untrue, Cousins seems to be highly meticulous and is guided by many factors.  He's not going to leap into Elways arms just because Manning did.

He's going to take all the visits,  write down a notebooks worth of pros and cons for each location, ask God what he should do, then make his choice.

God might hate the Broncos.

Wanting a veteran QB doesn't therefore mean "Pay any amount to the first one you can get your hands on, when there are multiple such options this year including better ones."

If Washington got Smith, it means Washington's out of the Cousins sweepstakes. If the Jets then end up with him, then it's one less team he's in competition with to trade up (if he's even considering that). 

He doesn't come across as being a "OMG I must have this QB and only this QB" GM. Since Manning's retirement:

• He was interested in extending Osweiller, but allowed himself to get outbid by Houston. Not reckless.
  • He was interested in trading for Kaepernick, but not if he had to eat that full contract. Not reckless.
  • He was interested in drafting Lynch, but not until he fell low enough that trading up wasn't so expensive (compared to pre-draft rumors that it'd take a top 10 pick to get him). Not reckless.
  • He was interested in Alex Smith, but at some point it's too much. I don't think that's reckless either.

I'm sure it'll be the same with Cousins, even if he doesn't ultimately end up there. He's got a SB ring in recent history even in the absence of elite (or even good) QB play, and it's unlikely he's forgotten that so soon afterward. It's better if you have it, but there's a limit for any player. 

We really don't know anything that's going on behind those closed doors. It's very well possible that Denver is releasing this information to make teams think that Kirk will be their answer in order to drive up the bidding. They could very well be content with picking Mayfield at 5. After all they purposely coached his team in senior bowl. (Can someone explain to me how that's legal?)

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wanting a veteran QB doesn't therefore mean "Pay any amount to the first one you can get your hands on, when there are multiple such options this year including better ones."

If Washington got Smith, it means Washington's out of the Cousins sweepstakes. If the Jets then end up with him, then it's one less team he's in competition with to trade up (if he's even considering that). 

He doesn't come across as being a "OMG I must have this QB and only this QB" GM. Since Manning's retirement:

• He was interested in extending Osweiller, but allowed himself to get outbid by Houston. Not reckless.
  • He was interested in trading for Kaepernick, but not if he had to eat that full contract. Not reckless.
  • He was interested in drafting Lynch, but not until he fell low enough that trading up wasn't so expensive (compared to pre-draft rumors that it'd take a top 10 pick to get him). Not reckless.
  • He was interested in Alex Smith, but at some point it's too much. I don't think that's reckless either.

I'm sure it'll be the same with Cousins, even if he doesn't ultimately end up there. He's got a SB ring in recent history even in the absence of elite (or even good) QB play, and it's unlikely he's forgotten that so soon afterward. It's better if you have it, but there's a limit for any player. 

You make a good point. Maybe this is Elway's line of thinking. However it hasn't worked since Manning retired. Maybe that's his mistake. You should risk a lot for your QB. We all know it's the most important position. It should be the biggest gamble that you're team is willing to make. A mediocre QB can make the playoffs with supporting cast. A good one wins it. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

That's simply untrue. 

They're dumping Talib, not because they need cap room but because they're tired of him. At that point, they'll have $38M in cap space this year, and $60M next year. With just one move. They can create a very Kirk friendly deal with a low cap number in the first couple years. Something with a cap number under $20M if they want. 

You want to poo-poo it with your adorably grating sarcasm, but one thing John Elway can tell Cousins that Mike Maccagnan can't is, "I've built a Super Bowl Champion before." If you don't think that carries weight, you're being naive. 

I don't understand why it's so damaging to you that other teams are interested in Cousins and also have a lot to offer him. With the transition tag essentially off the table, I suspect a lot of teams who initially didn't think they had a shot at Cousins are reevaluating the situation. Cousins is going to be visiting quite a few NFL cities the last week of winter. 

Exactly. It’s hard to believe some homers are so biased and can’t think clearly. Of course I’d be thrilled to get cousins, but unless cousins has a fondness for broadway shows I highly doubt he would choose jets over Denver. These homers who just say “ they don’t have the $$, ect need to really take their medicine already. Jets are going to have to throw a LOT more at cousins than Denver is willing to. They can definitely afford to match the jets, but will they want to ? Or maybe they say, let’s just sign sam Bradford or Bridgewater for half that. And then at #5 they also pick allen, mayfield, Rosen. One of them will fall to 5. Unfortunately if cousins went somewhere other than jets and Denver, jets may not be so lucky having 1 fall to 6.

4 minutes ago, Dr Evil said:

You make a good point. Maybe this is Elway's line of thinking. However it hasn't worked since Manning retired. Maybe that's his mistake. You should risk a lot for your QB. We all know it's the most important position. It should be the biggest gamble that you're team is willing to make. A mediocre QB can make the playoffs with supporting cast. A good one wins it. 

No, but recently is because he went with Lynch with his 2016 1st rounder. I don't know how many SBs they'd have won if they went with Osweiller, Kaepernick, if they'd traded to take Lynch even higher, or would be if he'd outbid Washington for Alex Smith.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

OMG he's gay and his marriage is a sham!

I've done some research..  the guy loves NY.

That's why I think people discounting us aren't taking everything into consideration..  his sexual preferences notwithstanding.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Exactly. It’s hard to believe some homers are so biased and can’t think clearly. Of course I’d be thrilled to get cousins, but unless cousins has a fondness for broadway shows I highly doubt he would choose jets over Denver. These homers who just say “ they don’t have the $$, ect need to really take their medicine already. Jets are going to have to throw a LOT more at cousins than Denver is willing to. They can definitely afford to match the jets, but will they want to ? Or maybe they say, let’s just sign sam Bradford or Bridgewater for half that. And then at #5 they also pick allen, mayfield, Rosen. One of them will fall to 5. Unfortunately if cousins went somewhere other than jets and Denver, jets may not be so lucky having 1 fall to 6.

The Broncos have numerous key players who's contracts expire after this season. Their top CB (Roby), DT (Peko), one of their edge rushers (Ray) , and a couple others.... People are not arguing that Broncos don't or won't have the money to pay Kirk, they're arguing that they would have to sacrifice key players that make it such an enticing landing spot. I'm not a cap guy but it's gonna be awfully hard to secure that core AND pay Cousins the money he's looking for.

Jason_OTCVerified account @Jason_OTC
Replying to @Abelr02 @robcarpenter81

You can fool around with the numbers here https://overthecap.com/calculator/denver-broncos/  More likely they would restructure or use a structure with Cousins that has massive cap figures in year 3 where Jets could frontload the numbers easier

The risk with pushing back the cap numbers is if he regresses.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ah, the best of both worlds for you. 

Spout a bunch of baseless sh*t about how no one but the Jets can really afford it, then when Cousins goes elsewhere, spam a bunch of baseless sh*t about how only Macc could have screwed it all up.

A win/win I suppose for some folks.

Lol the gd JN Math this offseason...

- The Jets losing on the best QB available this offseason is not a win. It is what I expect, not a win.

- “The Broncos are a crappy team without the cap space unless they cut multiple good players” =/= (at least outside JN Math’s realm) no one can afford Cousins.

OTOH if we want to talk about people spouting baseless bullsh*t - how about the amazingness of the Broncos, their payroll flexibility, $100 million dollar signing bonuses, the merits of backloading for Cousins...

To some, its clear that Cousins is the best option for the jets. To some its clear that the jets should be able to sign him. To some its clear that the broncos can sign cousins but would be destroying their team by signing him.  To some it would be relatively easy to build a contender with cousins.

These statements do not equal a belief that the jets will actually sign him.

Its not all about making a call about what Denver will do or what the jets will do.

We cant read their minds.

Some people simply appreciate the task of playing gm. Frankly some people would do a better job a lot of the time than those with the actual positions.

I can't believe Jet fans like dealing in false hoods like Denver is a way better destination for Kirk Cousins. I'll tell you why. When was the last time any NY Jet team won a game IN DENVER? So the Jets lost & looked bad doing it. McCown got hurt, Bryce Petty proved to be completely incompetent, the guy can't even complete a simple swing pass in the flat! Which makes Osweller & Simian look like Tom Brady in comparison.

Denvers GREAT defense lost to the 2-14 NY Giants. The Bills, the Pats KILLED them 41-16 in Denver, the Bengals, Miami beat them 35-9! Oh, and the beat up Washington Redskins with hopefully our future starting QB beat them 27-11!

A lot of you are dismissing the fact that Denver lost 8 games in a row because they wiped the floor with our pathetic QBs after McCown went down. 

The Broncos defense gave up 382 points last year. The Jets defense who have to play the Patriots twice a year gave up...wait for it...382 points! But, but, how could that be? The Jets started 2 rookie safeties in their secondary & had Buster "holding" Skrine as their #2 CB. Outside of Miller, Wolfe, Harris, Talib, the Broncos are way average. Plus they'll have to WAIVE Talib & maybe Wolfe to sign Cousins, while Leo, Lee, Jenkins, Adams, Maye are like babies when your talking age differences. The Jets have 3 draft picks in the top 50! If 3 QBs go in the top 5, the Jets will be looking at maybe the best CB, Best LT, maybe the best Guard in years (Nelson), pass rusher? there is no doubt in my mind a very good player is sitting for us at #6. The Broncos with Miller, Thomas & Sanders are going to age WAY FASTER than this Jets roster! We don't even know what we have in Stewart, Hanson & Leggette, three young players that may EXCEL with Cousins throwing ropes, after we draft a stud RB with a 2 which would instantly be younger & more explosive than CJ Anderson! Jones?, Michel? You guys are very close minded.

Reading through the comments (thanks for sharing everyone)... it seems as though a good number of you have taken the "DEN would have to blow up with their roster" narrative and ran with it... far too freely. 

They would have to make SOME adjustments. Talib is on his way out regardless. They may have to cut a WR and or a DT. CJ anderson? Who cares.....  And quite honestly, if you have Cousins (assuming he's as advertised) you don't need an allstar at every position. I really don't see this mass exodus some of you are lamenting over. 

22 hours ago, prime21 said:

Denver has 3 Lombardi trophies but I never think of them as a great organization.  Its like they are the step child of the NFL.  

Great organization is relative. They may not be Great compared to the Pats and Steelers, but they are Great compared to the Jets.

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I can't believe Jet fans like dealing in false hoods like Denver is a way better destination for Kirk Cousins. I'll tell you why. When was the last time any NY Jet team won a game IN DENVER? So the Jets lost & looked bad doing it. McCown got hurt, Bryce Petty proved to be completely incompetent, the guy can't even complete a simple swing pass in the flat! Which makes Osweller & Simian look like Tom Brady in comparison.

Denvers GREAT defense lost to the 2-14 NY Giants. The Bills, the Pats KILLED them 41-16 in Denver, the Bengals, Miami beat them 35-9! Oh, and the beat up Washington Redskins with hopefully our future starting QB beat them 27-11!

A lot of you are dismissing the fact that Denver lost 8 games in a row because they wiped the floor with our pathetic QBs after McCown went down. 

The Broncos defense gave up 382 points last year. The Jets defense who have to play the Patriots twice a year gave up...wait for it...382 points! But, but, how could that be? The Jets started 2 rookie safeties in their secondary & had Buster "holding" Skrine as their #2 CB. Outside of Miller, Wolfe, Harris, Talib, the Broncos are way average. Plus they'll have to WAIVE Talib & maybe Wolfe to sign Cousins, while Leo, Lee, Jenkins, Adams, Maye are like babies when your talking age differences. The Jets have 3 draft picks in the top 50! If 3 QBs go in the top 5, the Jets will be looking at maybe the best CB, Best LT, maybe the best Guard in years (Nelson), pass rusher? there is no doubt in my mind a very good player is sitting for us at #6. The Broncos with Miller, Thomas & Sanders are going to age WAY FASTER than this Jets roster! We don't even know what we have in Stewart, Hanson & Leggette, three young players that may EXCEL with Cousins throwing ropes, after we draft a stud RB with a 2 which would instantly be younger & more explosive than CJ Anderson! Jones?, Michel? You guys are very close minded.

That's what happens when your offense goes 3 and out for 3 quarters.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but reading your post, you forgot to actually watch DEN. (kind of critical)... they are a team that can WIN with competent QB play. That's just the way it is. Their ownership and management knows how to build a winning team and they run a tight ship. You want to hang your hat on their losses to teams like NYG? I'm pretty sure Seimien had 5 turnovers in 1 half in that game... you're cherry picking your facts.

You're just wrong on your DEN assessment. Doesn't mean you can't want Cousins. That's fine, but you'll find no players in the NFL (ZERO) who will tell you "YEA! I'D RATHER PLAY FOR THE JETS THAN THE BRONCOS..:" ...Like snap out of it my friend. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That's what happens when your offense goes 3 and out for 3 quarters.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but reading your post, you forgot to actually watch DEN. (kind of critical)... they are a team that can WIN with competent QB play. That's just the way it is. Their ownership and management knows how to build a winning team and they run a tight ship.

You're just wrong on that account. Doesn't mean you can't want Cousins. That's fine, but you'll find no players in the NFL (ZERO) who will tell you "YEA! I'D RATHER PLAY FOR THE JETS THAN THE BRONCOS..:" ...Like snap out of it my friend. 

that's the last factor that will seal the deal on the jets not getting cousins.  you already have guys like tony gonzalez going on record saying don't go to the jets.  you're going to have plenty of voices saying the same thing and that's before elway meets with him and lays out his plan for him.  the more you look at it logically, cousins is NOT coming here unless the money disparity is substantial.  and mccags is too scared to overpay and this time he'd be right.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

that's the last factor that will seal the deal on the jets not getting cousins.  you already have guys like tony gonzalez going on record saying don't go to the jets.  you're going to have plenty of voices saying the same thing and that's before elway meets with him and lays out his plan for him.  the more you look at it logically, cousins is NOT coming here unless the money disparity is substantial.  and mccags is too scared to overpay and this time he'd be right.  

thank you.

47 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Of course if Denver does what @slats suggested and just go guaranteed money, the risk becomes if he gets hurt, all that money goes down the drain

Probably why most teams don't do that kind of deal often, or do it in short terms

Every offer he gets, including the one from the Jets, will have significant guaranteed money. The difference between the Jets and Broncos offers would be more of a signing bonus vs. the guaranteed salaries the Jets will incorporate. But the total amounts of guaranteed money will be close, regardless. 

52 minutes ago, Dr Evil said:

The Broncos have numerous key players who's contracts expire after this season. Their top CB (Roby), DT (Peko), one of their edge rushers (Ray) , and a couple others.... People are not arguing that Broncos don't or won't have the money to pay Kirk, they're arguing that they would have to sacrifice key players that make it such an enticing landing spot. I'm not a cap guy but it's gonna be awfully hard to secure that core AND pay Cousins the money he's looking for.

I understand that. But i highly doubt Kirk cousins will say “ ohh man they just cut their #2 cb I’m not going now “ lol. 

it’s not about record, ect. It’s about the broncos and elway willing to build around the right qb. Like they have shown in the past. Todd Bowles on the other hand obviously wants to build around defense and running game. That is not debatable. That means D priority first, rbs and run blockers second.   Our line may have the worst pass protection in nfl. With no youth to build on.. Our only weapon on O may be in jail or suspended.. Elway on the other hand is a qb guru. He will give a guy like cousins strong support as a priority. 

On January 31, 2018 at 3:32 PM, Paradis said:

I've seen some of you post some pretty in depth comprehensive break down of salaries and what's possible in the past (calculating dead money, realistic roster cut possibilities etc)... 

Wondering if any of could paint a picture? They have $26 mil right now, but they'll probably make some moves (Talib I hear is a goner)... DEN is easily Kirk's most attractive landing spot, so wondering if they can make the room necessary. 

Love Jason.

I think he describes the Denver situation well - too many cap repercussions.

All of the negative that he has regarding the Jets are about whether Jets fans will have unrealistic expectations, whether the Jets are too cheap in this era to sign him and whether the Jets would surround him with enough talent. My counter is that the Jets can and should surround him with a lot more talent, and that if there is ever a time to spend, this is it. Jets fans expectations should be a non-factor. The goal of the team should be WIN. 

30 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Love Jason.

I think he describes the Denver situation well - too many cap repercussions.

All of the negative that he has regarding the Jets are about whether Jets fans will have unrealistic expectations, whether the Jets are too cheap in this era to sign him and whether the Jets would surround him with enough talent. My counter is that the Jets can and should surround him with a lot more talent, and that if there is ever a time to spend, this is it. Jets fans expectations should be a non-factor. The goal of the team should be WIN. 

Well Brick. The jets have a hole everywhere. They all can’t get plugged. Even if jets did everything right this yr and next during FA, draft you are still going to have major holes. You have to choose what is on top of the list, and go down. Look who runs our team. A D guru Who convinced his GM to take back to back safeties in rounds 1 and 2 while the O was on life support. That should say it all. Look at past drafts too, D first, always. We just fired our 6 OC in 7 years because he “ passed too much.” When in reality we didn’t pass all that much. Bowles openly says he wants to run a lot more. So what is last on that list his list ? Passing game. Cousins won’t be cheap. We may have the cap now but look at all these young D players who will need to be signed at much higher salaries in few years. Bowles will say to Mac, ok you spent half of our cap space on 1 offensive player, I want the rest for my D. The weight of the O will all be on cousins with little help.

7 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Well Brick. The jets have a hole everywhere. They all can’t get plugged. Even if jets did everything right this yr and next during FA, draft you are still going to have major holes. You have to choose what is on top of the list, and go down. Look who runs are team. A D guru Who convinced his GM to take back to back safeties in rounds 1 and 2 while the O was on life support. That should say it all. Look at past drafts too, D first, always. We just fired our 6 OC in 7 years because he “ passed too much.” When in reality we didn’t pass all that much. Bowles openly says he wants to run a lot more. So what is last on that list his list ? Passing game. Cousins won’t be cheap. We may have the cap now but look at all these young D players who will need to be signed at much higher salaries in few years. Bowles will say to Mac, ok you spent half of our cap space on 1 offensive player, I want the rest for my D. The weight of the O will all be on cousins with little help.

Well the competence of the FO is clearly questionable but the fact remains that there several offseason plans proposed right here at JN that would in fact plug all the holes. And with good players/prospects too.

4 hours ago, slats said:

That's simply untrue. 

They're dumping Talib, not because they need cap room but because they're tired of him. At that point, they'll have $38M in cap space this year, and $60M next year. With just one move. They can create a very Kirk friendly deal with a low cap number in the first couple years. Something with a cap number under $20M if they want. 

You want to poo-poo it with your adorably grating sarcasm, but one thing John Elway can tell Cousins that Mike Maccagnan can't is, "I've built a Super Bowl Champion before." If you don't think that carries weight, you're being naive. 

I don't understand why it's so damaging to you that other teams are interested in Cousins and also have a lot to offer him. With the transition tag essentially off the table, I suspect a lot of teams who initially didn't think they had a shot at Cousins are reevaluating the situation. Cousins is going to be visiting quite a few NFL cities the last week of winter. 

Well just a guess but if they back load a contract that averages $30M in order to afford to sign their 2018 draft class, wouldn’t that give them a cap hit of $40M for Cousins?  

The Broncos aren’t everything everyone is making them out to be.  By the time they fire Vance Joseph their offensive stars will be worthless and their so-called elite defense will be another year older.

Why would Cousins agree to negotiate with one team when he can pretty much dictate and take several bids?  

DEN could turn loose Talib to capture a QB as I think any team in need of a QB would, but also consider that their salary cap is wide open in 2020 and 2021. Most of their contracts run out by 2019 so they have the space to structure a contract with a moderate 2018 payment and a big 2020 and 2021. 

That said, I don't think DEN will pay the money to land Cousins even if he wants to go there for every other reason. I think Elway wants his team to draft a franchise QB and not have to string himself along from FA to FA QB. They could afford to take a year to develop a rookie QB and eat another bad season to put themselves in a position to develop the roster around a franchise QB. 

Just now, rex-n-effect said:

DEN could turn loose Talib to capture a QB as I think any team in need of a QB would, but also consider that their salary cap is wide open in 2020 and 2021. Most of their contracts run out by 2019 so they have the space to structure a contract with a moderate 2018 payment and a big 2020 and 2021. 

That said, I don't think DEN will pay the money to land Cousins even if he wants to go there for every other reason. I think Elway wants his team to draft a franchise QB and not have to string himself along from FA to FA QB. They could afford to take a year to develop a rookie QB and eat another bad season to put themselves in a position to develop the roster around a franchise QB. 

Agree WELCOME BACK hope all is well, haven't seen you in awhile. 

Archived