First round WR's last 3 years

MDL_JET

Not that we're considering a WR but thought it was interesting to see. Mix of role players and a few busts. But were any of them really worth a 1st round pick?? And aside from 2013 & 2014 with Evans, Watkins, OBJ and Hopkins...you have to go back to 2011 to finally get to Julio and AJ Green. The rest of the 1st rounders are uninspiring. 

We've seen more and more dynamic running backs, especially the past 2-3 years. What's up with the WR's...is something changing or are teams constantly reaching in hope for a game changer? Or is it just rare that guys like Evans and Julio come around? 

Meh, it takes WR's a little longer to adjust. Davis showed flashes of brilliance when not hurt. Doctson looks alright. Agholor just played a huge role in helping his team win the SB. Treadwell shows signs, Cooper/Parker are hot and cold with growing pains. It's not like they're all busts yet. Takes time. Nobody has patience anymore. 

14 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Not that we're considering a WR but thought it was interesting to see. Mix of role players and a few busts. But were any of them really worth a 1st round pick?? And aside from 2013 & 2014 with Evans, Watkins, OBJ and Hopkins...you have to go back to 2011 to finally get to Julio and AJ Green. The rest of the 1st rounders are uninspiring. 

We've seen more and more dynamic running backs, especially the past 2-3 years. What's up with the WR's...is something changing or are teams constantly reaching in hope for a game changer? Or is it just rare that guys like Evans and Julio come around? 

Agree.

Most of those guys listed are decent to good players. Typically they are given a light workload in the first few years anyway as they adjust to NFL. Additionally, Perriman, White, Williams had serious injuries already. The same may apply to a couple others on this list too. I put very little stock in this idea.

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Very tricky position to evaluate 

I disagree. I think it is among the easiest.

Hands? Easy to know. Shown on tape.

Crisp routes? Shown on tape.

Athleticism? - Shown on tape and then measured at combine for a fair measuring stick.

The real issue is that GMs will gamble on high athleticism even when the hands/routes are not that good. And they'll call it potential.

Injuries? These can bite out of nowhere. ACL tears are hard luck.

The bigger issue is that in a year when there is not really an "elite" WR the media and scouting hype trains create a false narrative. See COREY DAVIS... dude was not and should not have been the 5th overall pick (maybe a pick in 20's) . You can tell when a guy is legit from the beginning. If you are drafting a receiver at 5th overall it better be, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson. But... because there wasn't a, Mike Evans, Julio, AJ GREEN, Odell Beckham JR, or even a Deandre Hopkins - the media and scouts needed to make some WR seem elite

and thinking about it, this happens with a lot of positions. Take the top guy and just because he is "the top guy" in that year teams reach. At least this is just how I feel about it. Every year there will be a guy that gets drafted high that is just a miss but there are what seem to be a lot of picks that were made because top guy," oh, he must be elite" syndrome. 

7 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

I disagree. I think it is among the easiest.

Hands? Easy to know. Shown on tape.

Crisp routes? Shown on tape.

Athleticism? - Shown on tape and then measured at combine for a fair measuring stick.

The real issue is that GMs will gamble on high athleticism even when the hands/routes are not that good. And they'll call it potential.

Injuries? These can bite out of nowhere. ACL tears are hard luck.

i should have quoted this above my post..

Archived