The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I was surprised at how great this sounds, especially with the gain pegged and with my bridge pickup.  Lots of fun features, too.  And at that price, you can get both the metal or classic rock. 

Put it in my cart in amazon. Figured the classic rock will work, can always put a pedal between. 

Still deciding whether to pull the trigger on the Mimiq though. Just got the a Phase 90 by the front door today. Torn between playoff football and trying it out :)  

• Upvote 1

Yes yes yes, It's almost NAMM time (Thurs-Sun this week) For some of us it means bargains on older models, for others it means waiting a few months to get the latest flavor of the day. In any event, it is a lot of fun to gear-dream with that Powerball ticket in hand

The rumor that I've seen so far is a new toneprint multi effects pedal from TC Electronics. Probably a mash up of the existing cheaper pedals developed after the sale to Behringer but the toneprint aspect could make this interesting by being able to download patches, a dream for us jamooks who are awful at tweaking

Also really really cool is a reissue of the ARP 2600. Modernized but still way out of date, how much fun would this be to play with and how cool on stage. Anyone remember Switched on Bach?

Originally available between 1971 and 1980, the ARP 2600 is available again — but only for a limited time! Everything that made the original one so great is in here, such as modular patch-point architecture with the immediacy and user-friendliness of normalled signal paths. But ARP has brought the 2600 into the 21st century with the addition of USB and MIDI DIN connections, XLR audio outputs, and an added arpeggiator/sequencer upgrade on the ARP 3620 duophonic keyboard.

ARP ARP2600 Synthesizer   ARP 2600 Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer System

In the Holy #$%# category:

I taped the car auction to see what the Bullitt 'Stang went for ($3.4 million BTW)

In the middle of it all they stop and bring out two guitars for auction. Both Les Paul standards, a '59 and a '60 (talk about the Holy Grail). Both looking like they came out of the box that day. They both fetched north of $200,000. $200,000! the '59 was bought by Rick Neilsen (Cheap Trick).

OMG. You can get a whole fleet of custom made boutiques for that.  

Well there you go NJ Meadowlands, a nice LP Stnd. with a tapered neck :)

Question for you bassists:

Ibanez' new bass; 6 strings, no headstock

Won't this make your head explode or give you convulsions of some sort?

The Bass Workshop EHB1506MS is a truly unique bass. With a headless design and a 6-string multi-scale neck, metal and prog bassists are sure to dig its vibe.

Ibanez EHB1506MSBIF Ibanez Bass Workshop EHB1506MS

NAMM 2020: MXR launches this year’s must-have overdrive pedal as it partners with Paul Cochrane for a mini Timmy

By Michael Astley-Brown 8 hours ago

Affordable version of highly respected overdrive boasts clipping switch

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
MXR Timmy pedal

(Image credit: Jim Dunlop)

NAMM 2020: Paul Cochrane’s Timmy has garnered a reputation for being one of the best overdrive pedals on the market, offering a transparent overdrive that keeps your original guitar and amp tone in check, but there’s always been one problem: Cochrane builds the pedals one by one, leading to lengthy waitlists and high used prices.

MXR has now set out to address that scarcity by partnering with the builder for the Timmy Overdrive mini pedal, which also seeks to put a dent in mini-pedal clones of the original design.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Never played with a  Timmy but they have quite a reputation. Dunlop is doing cool stuff with MXR. I wish they would stop I have run out of room on the shelves

NAMM 2020: MXR launches this year’s must-have overdrive pedal as it partners with Paul Cochrane for a mini Timmy

By Michael Astley-Brown 8 hours ago

Affordable version of highly respected overdrive boasts clipping switch

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
vyoCjvvtDVetAyufdboJbh-970-80.jpg&key=094c7b220dfd6c887d372d5c1a545f38c9fc8e81efc6f2222b2a05220340357c (Image credit: Jim Dunlop)

NAMM 2020: Paul Cochrane’s Timmy has garnered a reputation for being one of the best overdrive pedals on the market, offering a transparent overdrive that keeps your original guitar and amp tone in check, but there’s always been one problem: Cochrane builds the pedals one by one, leading to lengthy waitlists and high used prices.

MXR has now set out to address that scarcity by partnering with the builder for the Timmy Overdrive mini pedal, which also seeks to put a dent in mini-pedal clones of the original design.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Never played with a  Timmy but they have quite a reputation. Dunlop is doing cool stuff with MXR. I wish they would stop I have run out of room on the shelves

I’m a pedal snob admittedly and can’t see how this would be quite as good as the real Timmy, but if there’s a large pedal company I’d have to guess would come close it’s MXR.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I’m a pedal snob admittedly and can’t see how this would be quite as good as the real Timmy, but if there’s a large pedal company I’d have to guess would come close it’s MXR.

This one will eventually be on SDOTD for $60

BTW: Have you tried SIB? 

Also have you seen the Music Toyz website? Pedal snob heaven

New  ISP Technologies Hum Extractor + Decimator Noise Reduction System

2-channel Noise Reduction Pedal with Hum Extraction, Decimator X Noise Suppression, Separate Threshold Controls, Input Gain/Input Level Meter, and +4dB/-10dB Level Switch/Loop Clip Indicator
Write your review Item ID: HumExtract
ISP Technologies logo
isp technologies hum extractor + decimator noise reduction system 1
This is a $441 (Sweetwater) hum elimination pedal just released. At that price, it better to good !

If you never have played an Anderson, you should make it your business to do so. Everything from short scale to Super Strat to any wood or any pickup or anyway you can configure one.  All masterfully built with the best of materials. Suhr's also (although I do not have one). Never played a MM (although I have a nice version of one of their amps) Mayones I am unfamiliar with. 

Not a NAMM thing but I was looking at this this AM. 

Anyone familiar with Analogman's King of Tone? Anyone play one?

It's an OD pedal that is supposed to be amazing but I don't know if it is just a glorified Tube Screamer or the long wait list just makes it that much mkotoptionsedited.jpgore desirable. The ones shipping today are for folks who put their name on the waiting list in April 2017. 

Not a NAMM thing but I was looking at this this AM. 

Anyone familiar with Analogman's King of Tone? Anyone play one?

It's an OD pedal that is supposed to be amazing but I don't know if it is just a glorified Tube Screamer or the long wait list just makes it that much mkotoptionsedited.jpg&key=143b07268d891fe87bd6c13ad4e45aecd97d9f8285c05fedd48974832176c2c1ore desirable. The ones shipping today are for folks who put their name on the waiting list in April 2017. 

I play through one, the left side is very Klon-ish. Not to be set very high in gain. Right side def takes its cue from the Tube Screamer but not nearly as noisy or compressed in my opinion. I run a Klon Silver Pony clone>King of Tone>Boss Super OD.

Klon clone is always one. Only left side of KoT is my subtle OD, just a little break up. Both side KoT o is my raw blues tone. Boss is for really right compressed high gain/sustain leads.

I never stack the Boss with the KoT, they don’t play nicely together.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I play through one, the left side is very Klon-ish. Not to be set very high in gain. Right side def takes its cue from the Tube Screamer but not nearly as noisy or compressed in my opinion. I run a Klon Silver Pony clone>King of Tone>Boss Super OD.

Klon clone is always one. Only left side of KoT is my subtle OD, just a little break up. Both side KoT o is my raw blues tone. Boss is for really right compressed high gain/sustain leads.

I never stack the Boss with the KoT, they don’t play nicely together.

Verrrrrry nice. So what's your whole pedal chain?

Did you build the Klone yourself? 

Verrrrrry nice. So what's your whole pedal chain?
Did you build the Klone yourself? 

I run all my pedals through a EHX Super Switcher, but essentially it’s as follows:

Wampler Ego
Vox Wah
Mad Professor Snow White
SolidGoldfx Funkzilla
Silver Pony Klon Clone (hand built by Alchemy Audio)
Analogman KoT
Boss Super OD (built in late 80’s)
EHX Pog
MXR Phase 95 mini
Strymon Timeline

Will be adding a Strymon Lex as well.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I run all my pedals through a EHX Super Switcher, but essentially it’s as follows:

Wampler Ego
Vox Wah
Mad Professor Snow White
SolidGoldfx Funkzilla
Silver Pony Klon Clone (hand built by Alchemy Audio)
Analogman KoT
Boss Super OD (built in late 80’s)
EHX Pog
MXR Phase 95 mini
Strymon Timeline

Will be adding a Strymon Lex as well.

Geez, nice setup. Great taste in brands, if you don't mind me saying. 

Phase 95 has the switch between 90 and 45 right? Wish I got that instead of a 90. Set it on 45 at the end of the chain right?

Must look great all together on the pedalboard

Geez, nice setup. Great taste in brands, if you don't mind me saying. 
Phase 95 has the switch between 90 and 45 right? Wish I got that instead of a 90. Set it on 45 at the end of the chain right?
Must look great all together on the pedalboard

Yes, Phase 95 switches between the two. It has a lot of versatility for that type of effect. I have it on a Trailer Trash flight case board. Heavy as hell but simple to setup.

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, The Crimson King said:

New  ISP Technologies Hum Extractor + Decimator Noise Reduction System

2-channel Noise Reduction Pedal with Hum Extraction, Decimator X Noise Suppression, Separate Threshold Controls, Input Gain/Input Level Meter, and +4dB/-10dB Level Switch/Loop Clip Indicator
Write your review Item ID: HumExtract

ISP Technologies logo

isp technologies hum extractor + decimator noise reduction system 1
This is a $441 (Sweetwater) hum elimination pedal just released. At that price, it better to good !

My feeling on these things is that if you need one, you’re probably doing something wrong 

36 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

My feeling on these things is that if you need one, you’re probably doing something wrong 

Yeah but $441? Wow, just get an NS-2 or one of those Rocktron Hush thingees

The only thing I like about this device is the "decimator" aspect. Drummer not cooperating? They won't let you do a long guitar solo? Bass player too loud? Keyboardist lauding his 2 yrs at Berklee over you? Just push the active button and poof, up in smoke they go.  Oh wait, maybe that's not the decimation that this is intended for … nevermind 

• 4 weeks later...

PRS made 1,000 of these. It's an SE Custom 24, normally about $500 going for $750. It's called the Schizoid Edition or something like that.

148173203_SkizoidPRSSECustom24.jpg.63679ff340a817e5bbcfdac4f7cd111c.jpg 

We were in our local store this evening for setup and repair on something when the wife saw this and went nuts. She has been insisting all evening that I buy this. There's something about the paint job that kinda looks familiar .

Two problems, however, it's essentially PRS's Epiphone to their Gibson (hence the price) made in Korea instead of MD and you are paying $250 for paint (that's 1-2 pedal money).

Still, I hear that the SE's are a great buy. Anyone ever play one?

Meanwhile, this week's toy currently on UPS  truck somewhere:

Buffer.thumb.jpg.82a5e39be2ef42214b07bb1c0e656a8c.jpg