Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Crimson King

The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

Recommended Posts

I know this is a bit specialized and interests just a small minority here but those that do have the passion know that this is waaay better than …  well you know  

To start I'd like to hear about the Headrush pedal board in case "anyone" may have been using one for several months now. 

For me, I have been trying to figure out my new FA-08 and making many failed attempts at configuring a pedal board out of all the pedals I have accumulated during frequent GAS attacks.

Anyone game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy me one I would be happy to write up a nice review of it. :-P 

Seriously though, it does look pretty nifty. Anything that makes me sound like a less-sh*tty player is A-OK in my book. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

If you buy me one I would be happy to write up a nice review of it. :-P 

Seriously though, it does look pretty nifty. Anything that makes me sound like a less-sh*tty player is A-OK in my book. 

 

this could help … Kempler Profiler and its only $1,800 :)

ProfilingAmpBK-large.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

this could help … Kempler Profiler and its only $1,800 :)

ProfilingAmpBK-large.jpg

That does look pretty cool. I don't know if it's powerful enough to make me sound like less of a sh*tty player, though. I think I would need a wizard or something for that. 

In all seriousness though, if I had $1800 in my hand to spend on music stuff, I think I'd just buy another guitar. I could get a pretty nice Martin acoustic or another Strat for that amount of cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

That does look pretty cool. I don't know if it's powerful enough to make me sound like less of a sh*tty player, though. I think I would need a wizard or something for that. 

In all seriousness though, if I had $1800 in my hand to spend on music stuff, I think I'd just buy another guitar. I could get a pretty nice Martin acoustic or another Strat for that amount of cash. 

Here's a great place to spend that $1,800:

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/

I really need to won LOTTO

 

EDIT: Oops, out of curiosity I looked for a few of these for sale and saw that they are going for $3.5-4M these days. Yikes !  The same guitars were half that price only a few years ago. Now I really really need to win LOTTO. 

There's also Suhr and Grosh if you like super-Strats

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 11:57 PM, The Crimson King said:

I know this is a bit specialized and interests just a small minority here but those that do have the passion know that this is waaay better than …  well you know  

To start I'd like to hear about the Headrush pedal board in case "anyone" may have been using one for several months now. 

For me, I have been trying to figure out my new FA-08 and making many failed attempts at configuring a pedal board out of all the pedals I have accumulated during frequent GAS attacks.

Anyone game?

 

On 8/17/2018 at 11:57 PM, The Crimson King said:

I know this is a bit specialized and interests just a small minority here but those that do have the passion know that this is waaay better than …  well you know  

To start I'd like to hear about the Headrush pedal board in case "anyone" may have been using one for several months now. 

For me, I have been trying to figure out my new FA-08 and making many failed attempts at configuring a pedal board out of all the pedals I have accumulated during frequent GAS attacks.

Anyone game?

 I have been using a head rush board for almost a year now. I like it a lot because it’s very simple to use you can just grab with your finger and effect on the touchscreen and move it in different positions. You could also double click on an individual affect and tweak it using the analog buttons. It’s a very very very easy bored To use. My only complaint is that the distortion pedals do not sound that great which doesn’t surprise me being that it’s digital and I wish it had some more effects such as an auto Wah. Also I am using speech to text so I know that board and effect is spelled wrong. LOL ha ha

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 And since this is the gear page let me say that I found a beautiful white matchless chieftain at Samish that was used that I could a got for the incredible price of 1799. I played with this thing for two hours using to three different guitars. I wanted to love it I wanted to buy but in the end I did not. Why? Because the cleans weren’t as nice as fender and the crunch wasn’t as nice as a Marshall therefore I must conclude that this is a very overpriced overhyped amplifier. God what a sexy amp and it didn’t sound good but just not great like it should have. So there

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the head rush board. What I’m going to do is plug in my klon clone And my auto Wah into the effects loop and by pushing a single button those will come in and out of the chain. It’s too bad that they couldn’t include a really nice distortion and auto Wah so I don’t have to lug extra sh*t around but whatever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HighPitch said:

 And since this is the gear page let me say that I found a beautiful white matchless chieftain at Samish that was used that I could a got for the incredible price of 1799. I played with this thing for two hours using to three different guitars. I wanted to love it I wanted to buy but in the end I did not. Why? Because the cleans weren’t as nice as fender and the crunch wasn’t as nice as a Marshall therefore I must conclude that this is a very overpriced overhyped amplifier. God what a sexy amp and it didn’t sound good but just not great like it should have. So there

This is how I feel. Call me old school but I'd rather have a single amp in a room full of guitars than a pedal that mimics them all. It's just not the same.*

*Translation: I need an excuse to collect as many guitars as possible. :-P 

Speaking of which, I'm an unrepentant Fender homer (I normally run a Strat through a Fender half-stack as my base setup) but I went to a 311 show last week and saw Nick (their singer) playing a Gibson ES-137. Holy crap is that thing ever beautiful. Sounds amazing as well. Waaaaaaant. 

ES-137-Classic-900b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

This is how I feel. Call me old school but I'd rather have a single amp in a room full of guitars than a pedal that mimics them all. It's just not the same.*

*Translation: I need an excuse to collect as many guitars as possible. :-P 

Speaking of which, I'm an unrepentant Fender homer (I normally run a Strat through a Fender half-stack as my base setup) but I went to a 311 show last week and saw Nick (their singer) playing a Gibson ES-137. Holy crap is that thing ever beautiful. Sounds amazing as well. Waaaaaaant. 

ES-137-Classic-900b.jpg

Is that the same ES model that Steve Howe used to play back then (using a 345 last I saw him)

In other news, I would like to put together a pedal board from what I already have. Maybe you guys can help. I'm going away for a week so I'll bring this up when I come back. Meanwhile, keep posting stuff, it'll give me something to read.

In other other news, anyone ever use pedals with a harp? Actually played a whole gig just using a bunch of harmonicas 'cause there was nothing for me to do on guitar or keys. Was a blast though and easy to carry in and out of the place. Would love to get some of these but they are pricey:

https://www.lonewolfblues.com/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Is that the same ES model that Steve Howe used to play back then (using a 345 last I saw him)

 

 

Probably similar to it at least. I'm not a Gibson expert (or novice for that matter) but after googling the different model numbers a lot of those ES ones follow the same design and just update it as time goes along. It's basically a Les Paul/hollowbody hybrid, which I think is what made it look so interesting to me. Here's a shot I found of Howe's guitars:

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=105CDF34-F9BB-

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bombdirt said:

Probably similar to it at least. I'm not a Gibson expert (or novice for that matter) but after googling the different model numbers a lot of those ES ones follow the same design and just update it as time goes along. It's basically a Les Paul/hollowbody hybrid, which I think is what made it look so interesting to me. Here's a shot I found of Howe's guitars:

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=105CDF34-F9BB-

The one on the left is looks like an L-4 and the one on the right is an ES-345 based on the varitone (I think that is what that rotary switch is called) and the double fret markers. The middle one is, of course some child's toy, maybe he brought is young son on tour with him (just kidding :) )

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

The one on the left is looks like an L-4 and the one on the right is an ES-345 based on the varitone (I think that is what that rotary switch is called) and the double fret markers. The middle one is, of course some child's toy, maybe he brought is young son on tour with him (just kidding :) )

That's a terrible picture of it, and I can't argue with the dull paint job--next to ivory, the red is probably my least favorite Strat color. Also notice the cool backlight on the Gibsons and the lack thereof on the Fender product. It's rigged! Just sayin'. :-P 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I’d be impressed if somebody could identify one of my amps here

ABD4699C-3BE4-4785-B849-C584381BEB6B.jpeg

No idea but that wood finish is pretty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I’d be impressed if somebody could identify one of my amps here

ABD4699C-3BE4-4785-B849-C584381BEB6B.jpeg

That is a Johnson Amplification product (former Digitech subsidiary that was discontinued in the early 80's)

The model is the Woody Johnson

(OK, OK, sorry)

so what is it really? Looks like home made job by someone with some skills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha just a regular fender blues jr but in a carls custom cabinet head speaker set. Added a celetion vintage 30. Now i have a fromel mod kit that needs to be installed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Oh yes, i did...... 

P_20180915_195131.jpg

 

tenor.gif

Prove it. I wanna see a receipt and security camera documentation. 

Those amps are the sh*t. If you really did buy one, I want to come dry-hump it. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did. Toyed with it for weeks at sam ash. Its a hard sound to describe.... Not marshall not fender.... But i got a crazy low price on it and now its all mine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, HighPitch said:

I did. Toyed with it for weeks at sam ash. Its a hard sound to describe.... Not marshall not fender.... But i got a crazy low price on it and now its all mine

Extremely nice ! 

If you get a second one you can run your FX in stereo :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea that would be seriously costly. This thing weighs a ton and its big enough. Lol two? No way.

Well, im in a hilton on daytona beach. Ill be lugging her down onto the bandshell in a few hours for sound check. If anyone wants to drive up for a great free pink floyd show come on down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Any of you guys play harp or have a band member that does? Do you/they use any FX? If so what boxes are working for them?

From what I understand, these guys are the gold standard, but I can't justify the cost:

https://www.lonewolfblues.com/

I used to be in a band with a guy who played harp. He was also our guitarist/singer (and very good at both) so he only filled in with it on certain songs. Which was nice because it helped cover up my sh*tty bass playing. Here's an example of one song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsaVmynnQ20

 

In any case, he just ran the harp through his vocal mic, and it sounded fine. But I could imagine filling out the sound through a separate rig if you're a regular player.

That makes me wonder: what is the advantage to a "specialized" harp pedal? Couldn't you get pretty much every tone possible out of a guitar pedal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I used to be in a band with a guy who played harp. He was also our guitarist/singer (and very good at both) so he only filled in with it on certain songs. Which was nice because it helped cover up my sh*tty bass playing. Here's an example of one song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsaVmynnQ20

 

In any case, he just ran the harp through his vocal mic, and it sounded fine. But I could imagine filling out the sound through a separate rig if you're a regular player.

That makes me wonder: what is the advantage to a "specialized" harp pedal? Couldn't you get pretty much every tone possible out of a guitar pedal? 

Seems like Lone Wolf is the only one who make harmonica specific FX and do a good job explaining why you need them.

Distortion, reverb, delay and compression all work well on the sound of a harp, however guitar pedals create really bad feedback (especially with OD and distortion) and the highs are ridiculously brittle. I tried all sorts of  individual pedals but oddly enough a cheapo Zoom G1xon has worked the best, yet I still get bad feedback with OD/distortion.  I would also like to add a wah. 

There is a guy who makes patches to download for a Digitech RP360xp (collecting dust on the shelve at the moment) just for the harp but I am digging battery only operation (GX1 can do that) these days and am looking for alternatives

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, HighPitch said:

Oh yes, i did...... 

P_20180915_195131.jpg

So how was it? What did you run through it? If you are grokking Gilmour I assume that it was a lace sensor Strat, every effect known to mankind and a bottle of scotch (old joke about how to get Gilmour's sound)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha it went well. Sounded killer really..... my bandmates noticed. Pretty much played my 1990 strat plus with lace sensor, into the headrush into the cheiftan. Full blast on the main, preamp volume at 10 am and everything else straight up noon

P_20180929_211846.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day. Very addicting. One day bargains on many types of gear

Today's looks too tempting to pass up

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-mv50-50w-rock-guitar-amp-head/j52418000000000

Review were pretty good on this thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No drum talk yet - anybody have opinions or first hand experience with Gibralter foot pedals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NJ said:

No drum talk yet - anybody have opinions or first hand experience with Gibralter foot pedals?

Drums? Pedal? That one is easy …

BeatBuddy-Front-View.768.png

Oh wait, you mean those guys who sit in the back and play too loud and are homeless when their girlfriends kick them out? 

Ha ! Just kidding. Any opinions on the e-drums (Roland, Alesis, etc)? I would have thought drummers would love them yet those who buy them seem to regret it (based on only two examples however)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Drums? Pedal? That one is easy …

BeatBuddy-Front-View.768.png

Oh wait, you mean those guys who sit in the back and play too loud and are homeless when their girlfriends kick them out? 

Ha ! Just kidding. Any opinions on the e-drums (Roland, Alesis, etc)? I would have thought drummers would love them yet those who buy them seem to regret it (based on only two examples however)

 

Ha Ha - got me there. Should have been more specific. Bass Drum Pedal or in my instance double bass drum pedal.51VYHMLVJaL.jpg

Sorry but I can't offer any first hand experience with electronic kits. I have a 6 pad board that I can plug into an amp (with additional pad for the double bass pedal) but I've only used it for small parties and the like. There are some fairly electronically sophisticated set-ups I've goofed around on at Guitar Center, but they don't play like a real kit. To me anyway.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For us Page nuts who remember when he used a Telecaster.

Fender and Jimmy Page Announce Signature Telecaster Models

By   News 

The Led Zeppelin guitarist has collaborated with the company to recreate his famed 1959 "Dragon" Tele. 

In ongoing celebration of Led Zeppelin’s 50th anniversary, Fender has unveiled a collaboration with Jimmy Page to recreate the 1959 Telecaster that he used to record the band's self-titled debut in 1968. Known for its iconic “mirror” and “dragon” designs, Page played the Tele throughout Zeppelin’s early days, as well as with the Yardbirds. He also used the guitar to record the iconic solo to “Stairway to Heaven.”

Fender will release four artist signature guitar models throughout 2019, giving fans and collectors the chance to own a piece of history. Two models will be produced on the production lines and two in the Fender Custom Shop, dubbed the “Limited Edition Jimmy Page Telecaster Set.” There will only be 50 of each “dragon” and “mirror” Fender Custom Shop model with Page’s handwritten signature on each headstock and his hand-painted flourishes on dragon models.

The limited edition Custom Shop versions are masterbuilt by Fender Custom Shop Master Builder Paul Waller. For nearly eight months, Page has worked closely with Waller to advise throughout the process, assuring every detail was accurately recreated. 

“This guitar is so special and has so much history, so I approached Fender to see if they’d be interested in recreating it,” Page said. “They really got it 110 percent right, or 150 percent right. It's so absolutely as it is, as it should be, and as it was...Visiting the Fender Custom Shop to sign and paint the guitars with Paul Waller was a real thrill. To see all those absolute gems on the wall, it's a pretty amazing experience.”

“Jimmy first approached us in February with the idea to recreate this Telecaster, and as we were planning, I could feel his passion throughout the process,” said Waller. “To achieve his vision, I wanted to get every little detail replicated exactly, so you couldn’t tell the difference from the originals and these models. That’s what we’re known for in the Fender Custom Shop: quality craftsmanship and authenticity.”

 

Custom Shop Master Builder Paul Waller and Jimmy Page

Custom Shop Master Builder Paul Waller and Jimmy Page

(Image: © Fender)

Page originally received the Telecaster in 1966 from Jeff Beck, who gifted it to Page for recommending him to the Yardbirds. Through the years, the Telecaster took on several looks and personas, as Page customized it aesthetically and sonically. When he first received it, the guitar was undecorated in its factory white blonde finish and remained that way until February 1967, when he added eight circular mirrors to the body. Page played his mirrored Telecaster only briefly in the final years of the Yardbirds, and by mid-1967 he was ready to change the look. He removed the mirrors, completely stripped and repainted the instrument himself, this time hand-painting a mystical dragon on the body.

When Led Zeppelin was formed in October 1968, the Dragon Telecaster became Page’s go-to instrument and he played it on stage and in the studio until 1969. It was also the main guitar used on the Led Zeppelin album. Page went on tour in 1969, and upon his return, he discovered a friend had kindly stripped the body and painted over the dragon paint job. The paint job compromised the sound and wiring, leaving only the neck pickup working. He salvaged the neck and put it on his brown string bender Tele, and has since re-stripped and restored the body in full.

“This guitar is so special and has so much history, so I approached Fender to see if they’d be interested in recreating it,” Page said. “They really got it 110 percent right, or 150 percent right. It's so absolutely as it is, as it should be, and as it was.”

Fender will also build both mirror and painted versions on its production lines, which will be more accessibly priced for a broader base of fans to purchase. While these will not be hand-signed and hand-painted by the artist, Page did consult with Fender throughout the design process to ensure the guitars are true-to-spec of the original Telecaster.

All Jimmy Page models will be released throughout 2019 and available at local dealers and Fender.com. Fender will reveal the complete model lineup in January 2019. 

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/fender-and-jimmy-page-announce-signature-telecaster-models

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...