Home sick with the FLU

joewilly12

You're talking about the real, respiratory, flu, right?  (Not the stomach bug that folks call a "flu".)  If so, make sure you get one of the anti-virals from your doctor.  You need to do this a day or two after the onset.  Other than that?  Not much to do other than stay in bed and drink lots of fluids.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Full blown flu started out as respiratory this morning worked its way to my stomach. I feel like a truck hit me. 

Sorry you are not feeling well.  Hope you went to the doctor.  The anti-virals they have now can significantly shorten the flu's duration.

As for your stomach?  I brew up some weak ginger tea when mine is upset.  Basically, slice up some fresh ginger, place it in a small saucepan of water and bring to the boil.  Let it steep for as long as you like.  I don't like it too strong.

Hope you get better soon, jw.

25 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Gotta get their within 72 hours. Get tami flu Flu be gone 2-3 days 

I already waited too long I didn't think it would get this bad........just ate some scrambled eggs first time eating since Sunday night and drank a bottle of PowerAde........

Just now, JiF said:

So, does this mean you dont have a remedy, joe? 

So far no, been riding it out all the over the counter crap meds I took were a waste of money, heading to the Dr today I let you know what he says. Been drinking PowerAde and eating nothing weaker than heck right now last resort is the Dr.........

Full blown flu says the Dr prescribed cough meds and sinus meds and aleve,advil etc says ride it out nothing else can be done. 

Said I should have been in on Monday or Tuesday to lessen the blow with tami-flu meds. 

He did remind me of my refusal of a flu shot that may or may not have prevented all this. 

Sucks to get old. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Full blown flu says the Dr prescribed cough meds and sinus meds and aleve,advil etc says ride it out nothing else can be done. 

Said I should have been in on Monday or Tuesday to lessen the blow with tami-flu meds. 

He did remind me of my refusal of a flu shot that may or may not have prevented all this. 

Sucks to get old. 

Not about age.   I got a wild case of the flu when I was 35.   After that, I get the annual flu vaccine.  It's not perfect, but even if you get the flu (which I've never had since, btw) it will usually not be as severe.

Keep getting better, jw.  

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Not about age.   I got a wild case of the flu when I was 35.   After that, I get the annual flu vaccine.  It's not perfect, but even if you get the flu (which I've never had since, btw) it will usually not be as severe.

Keep getting better, jw.  

Thanks munchmemory appreciate it....next year im getting the flu shot. 

49 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Keep getting better, jw.  

wow - I was at the same age (35) when I had a horrific case of the flu - was out of it for almost a month.

Since then I always get a flu shot.

6 hours ago, peebag said:

wow - I was at the same age (35) when I had a horrific case of the flu - was out of it for almost a month.

Since then I always get a flu shot.

Same with me.  Did not feel like myself agin for weeks.  Without fail, september comes along and I'm off to the pharmacy for my flu shot.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I had a really bad experience with a flu shot about 20 years ago I got sick for weeks from it. Coincidence? 

Cough medicine with codeine = a good nights sleep first one in days. 

Can't imagine what the shot would have caused.  Usually, it's a sensitivity to eggs, as that's how they incubate the vaccine.  What did you experience?  

Fantastic that you got to sleep well last night.  Hopefully you have turned the corner.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Can't imagine what the shot would have caused.  Usually, it's a sensitivity to eggs, as that's how they incubate the vaccine.  What did you experience?  

Fantastic that you got to sleep well last night.  Hopefully you have turned the corner.

About 20 years I got a flu shot from a local pharmacy and I actually got sick with flu like symptoms that lasted weeks I wasn't the only person to experience that. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

About 20 years I got a flu shot from a local pharmacy and I actually got sick with flu like symptoms that lasted weeks I wasn't the only person to experience that. 

That's weird.  The vaccine is made from dead virus so it's not possible to get the flu from the shot.  

You might just have been unlucky and gotten exposed to the flu before you built up enough immunity (usually 10-14 days).  Or, you could have been exposed to a strain of the flu not covered by the shot.

Every year they do an "educated guess" as to which strains to include.  Whatever happened to the supposed breakthrough "one time" shot which covered you forever.  Guess someone figured out that you make more money selling an annual vaccine. Anyway, the shot overall is far from perfect, but better than nothing.  As I said originally, even if you get the flu, it will be lessened.

Your arguing tells me you're getting back to feeling yourself.  Not literally, of course.  Although, you are home in bed. ?

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

That's weird.  The vaccine is made from dead virus so it's not possible to get the flu from the shot.  

You might just have been unlucky and gotten exposed to the flu before you built up enough immunity (usually 10-14 days).  Or, you could have been exposed to a strain of the flu not covered by the shot.

Every year they do an "educated guess" as to which strains to include.  Whatever happened to the supposed breakthrough "one time" shot which covered you forever.  Guess someone figured out that you make more money selling an annual vaccine. Anyway, the shot overall is far from perfect, but better than nothing.  As I said originally, even if you get the flu, it will be lessened.

Your arguing tells me you're getting back to feeling yourself.  Not literally, of course.  Although, you are home in bed. ?

Starting to feel better yes indeed...arguing?  no way appreciate all the words and advice you have given me the last few days. 

Next year i'm getting the flu shot. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, joewilly12 said:

Sucks to get old. 

RN here. Hopefully you're feeling much better now! With the flu vaccinations the CDC makes their best prediction on which flu strands are most likely to be in circulation for that flu season. There is never any guaranteed fool proof flu vaccination unfortunately. However, I would still recommend it. Even if you have a healthy immune system, it will help your immune system recognize the pathogen and be better equipped to defeat it. I'm required yearly to get the vaccination for my job, but I do know others who get the vaccination and still get the flu as well as people that don't get the vaccination and seem to make it out unaffected. 

• 1 month later...

Archived