Shaun 'Andy Reid' Mcvay

Gen X Jet

16 minutes ago, jack48 said:

McVay seems to be a glorified OC.  He does not touch the D.   The D was the best thing about their game

Sometimes coaches and players (or entire sides of the ball) just have it or don't on a given day. 

Most of the year, despite the personnel, that D was very schizo all year.

• 5x kept the other team under 14 points. Could even credit them with 6x when garbage time points are excluded like vs Denver, and 15 points before a garbage time TD vs Dallas
  • They also gave up 30+ points 7x same number of games, plus 27 pts vs GB. Rams were 6-2 in these games and it's damn hard to primarily credit the D for any of those wins.
  • Twice the D gave up 45 points. Point to the high-octane opponent all you want; neither KC nor NO average 51 or 45 ppg. Hardly the offense's fault when they lose a game 45-35.

Then in the playoffs it was similar schizo stuff. Truth is they lost that championship game and the D looks better on paper because of what most consider the worst ref call of the season. Then in the SB it was the opposite. The offense looked like the one game vs Chicago rather than 15 other reg & postseason season games. 

They're a team good enough to win, with coaching and a QB good enough to win. Not having it one day in a QB's 3rd season, or having the wrong gameplan when the other side has answers for what you wanted to do, doesn't make one incapable forever. This was a knock on P.Manning for a freaking decade, even going back to college, until Indy finally won one after whiffing 9 of 9 playoff seasons before that. Coincidentally his coach in that SB win had the same exact knock against him. Favre's Packers got booted from the playoffs with a 9-point performance vs Dallas and 2 years later GB are world champs.

They're still a team in great shape for 2019. We've got a long road ahead of us before we're good enough to have their problems. 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if you needed an OL for 1 game and your choice were the Pats OL or the Rams OL, who would you pick? honest question

objectively the rams line has way more talent. 

Andrew Whitworth said after the game the Pats were bringing 6 defenders vs 5 OL all night 

there were some breakdowns inside for example Austin Blythe got beat a couple times but basically this was a situation where Goff wasn't dealing with the blitz well and needed to get rid of it quicker/more accurately 

That's not really the choice. Sometimes good lines have bad games and bad lines have good games. Maybe the stage is too big for them. Maybe they stayed out late the night before. Maybe a lot of things. 

There were certainly plays where he was getting pressure from 2 places before he'd dropped back 3x. Giants did similar to Brady in the SB but that doesn't mean Brady was "exposed" or anything like that. Just means they didn't have it one game. If they play the same game 10x I don't presume it's the same outcome 10x.

The Jets' OL was not good in 2018. But crazy enough, they looked great against Denver and their 2 serious edge rushers. It happens. Would you rather have the 2018 Jets OL or 2018 Rams OL? In the 2 back to back games against Denver, the Jets' OL badly outclassed the Rams' OL. Doesn't make the Jets' OL better overall or that it's repeatable. It means that was the result one day against each club.

Also I can't remember when it was - I think the 2nd half but I didn't rewind it 3x (because it was a live SB) - but probably Whitworth headlocked someone rushing wide around Goff's blind side and there was no flag. It was as bad as the one NE got no flag vs New Orleans some years ago.

A lot of people expected Wade Philip's to have the Rams ready for the Patriots. Nobody saw that good not great Patriots defense holding the Rams to 3 points. That was a SUPER CHOKE JOB by the entire Rams offense. If they just have an average day they win 24-17 or 24-13. Anyone who says the predicted the Patriots defense to stifle the Rams offense is a straight up liar. Bottom line the Rams beat themselves more than the Patriots won their 6th Super Bowl. 

On 2/4/2019 at 4:36 AM, choon328 said:

Goff had about 4-5 game changing plays that he either missed or never threw to. This loss falls directly on him.

Exactly   Goff had his chances and totally blew it. He had "deer in the headlights" look for most of the game. The loss falls directly on his shoulders. Look at that huge sack he took before their only FG. Disgraceful.

McVay seems to be a glorified OC.  He does not touch the D.   The D was the best thing about their game
Possible. These types of arrangements can work, especially with young QB's but not so sure it's the long term solution...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 2/3/2019 at 10:16 PM, Gen X Jet said:

I hope 'Mr beautiful mind' McVay remembers every play for eternity. What a gutless performance. 

He left his BEST player to rot on the bench while his offense could get NOTHING done. A true offensive GENIUS would have found a way to run the ball or get the ball to Gurley in the passing game. I think he became hynotized by Maroon 5's crappy performance at halftime.

12 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Possible. These types of arrangements can work, especially with young QB's but not so sure it's the long term solution...

I know.  I keep hearing how great he is but he is only hands on with half the team.  So he may be the greatest OC of all time but how can anyone praise him as a head coach.  It will be pretty much the same with Gase.  It seems like he is hands off with the D.

I know.  I keep hearing how great he is but he is only hands on with half the team.  So he may be the greatest OC of all time but how can anyone praise him as a head coach.  It will be pretty much the same with Gase.  It seems like he is hands off with the D.
I agree. Although I don't believe Gase was their first choice it could work for Darnold if Gase is what people say he is. If he can get Darnold a good foundation in two years it's wasn't a bad gamble. Time will tell.

Archived