Defense 2019. Stop the run.

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Exactly.

Every team tries to establish the run, and if they can, the playbook opens up down the stretch

Exactly. Give an above average QB a running game & you have no chance. Give an average & even below average QB a running game & your in a battle. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Exactly. Give an above average QB a running game & you have no chance. Give an average & even below average QB a running game & your in a battle. 

Its football 101.

Just because the NFL wants to draw more viewers by making big passing plays more the norm doesn't mean teams don't run the ball.

3 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Great stat, I always think fans are to hard on this player because of where he was picked in the draft. If you go back and look at that year, without reaching, that would still be my pick in the top 10 of the draft. 

After making the pro bowl in 2016, pass rushing stats have seemed to take a dip. He has also been part of a rebuild with not much help in the edge rushing department to take some pressure of him. 

Someone posted another cool post with all of Henry Anderson’s blow up plays last year. On 5 out of 7 of Anderson’s sacks came against a single blocker while Leo would be doubled. 

I understand the hesitation to dish out big contracts due to our contract history in that position and the money we have tied up already in the front 7, but I would love to see Big Cat play well under a contract year and stay with us long term. 

Idunno call me crazy, it would be nice to see one of our guys get rewarded rather then overpay in FA and pay someone for the work they did with another team. 

To me, Leo is exactly the kind of guy you keep and pay.  Excellent player, no off-field issues, wants to be here, still very young and getting better.  We'd be paying for his future, not his past.  The argument that he didn't produce 5 more sacks last year or "he's not Aaron Donald" are kind of ridiculous in my opinion.  Especially when you look at facts like you pointed out, Leo being double-teamed while Henry Anderson is racking up 5 sacks against a single blocker, it's hard to say he's not having a really big impact in the pass rush.

I'm really curious to see how it works out with Quinnen here and how Gregg Williams orchestrates this DLine.  Lots of options...

Anderson - McClendon - Leo

Anderson - QW - Leo

Anderson - McClendon - QW (3-technique) - Leo  (This puts a LOT of weight on the DLine and also, IMO, puts QW in his ideal position as a 3-techinque DT)

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Basically if Leo got one more sack last year you would then be ok extended him? QB hits don’t sounds as great, but they are an important stat to look at when the sack totals are depleted. 

PFF and stats also don’t show plays where Leo gets attention or disruption and someone else benefits. It’s really easy to say he is expendable if Q plays well. Then Q is all alone next year taking on double teams and he becomes expendable after one good year (sounds familiar with Leo making the probowl in 16 and us then rebuilding the next 2 years and it’s hard for him to get sacks)

I agree more with the previous strategy with possibly tagging and extending him. I am not sure just because he is on the team today, we should extend him if he is in our plans. Players also bet on the man selves in contract years, it would be foolish for him to take “discount” deal now instead of letting his play make him more money. 

Hoping Nathan Shepperd is going to be as good as Leo is almost hopeless. Shepperd at his best, will only be a run stopping machine, the players aren’t even comparable that’s how far behind Shepperd is in comparison with Leo. 

Ok first off Leonard Williams is a good player. He's not Elite or even Great, I Don't need PFF to tell me that.

He's got 17 career Sacks, with he high of 7 and 5 last season. Measuring QB hits is like measuring almost interceptions. If you look, Mo Wilkerson first 4 years (see below) you will find that Mo is ahead in every single recorded metric.

Wilkerson had 10.5 sacks in year 3, plus 12.5 in his first new contract season. I also banged the drum for us not to pay him either, and keep Snacks Harrison.

What's most disturbing about Williams, is the very noticeable drop off in production in the last two seasons, compared to his first two.

Most noticeably tackles, that slipped from a high of 68 in year two, too only 42 last year. 

My hope with Sheppard is not that his becomes Leo, that he becomes a solid rotational player. Allowing him to Sub, Anderson/Williams with not a lot of drop off. Speaking of Anderson he had more sacks and almost as many tackles and we paid a 7th rounder for him.

Henry Anderson

G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF
2018 New York Jets 16 3 35 22 13 7.0 -- 4 -- -- 0.0 -- --  

I've very glad he was not drafted by Douglas, and I don't see us paying him, we have far to much resource already spent on 3-4 D.E's who offer minimal Pass Rush, and are glorified run stuffers. He lacks consistency and drive to become the best. A nice player that I would not pay Premium money for.

I'm happy McCoffee is not here any more, to spunk our cap space on him, and once again neglect protecting Darnold, where resource would be better spent.  

I don't hate Leo I just cant see us paying 18 mill plus to sign him long term.

Muhammad Wilkerson                       
    G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF
2014 New York Jets 13 13 56 31 25 6 -- 5 -- -- 0 -- -- 1

2013 New York Jets 16 16 63 43 20 10.5 -- 3 1 6 6 6 0 2

2012 New York Jets 16 15 69 36 33 5 0 4 -- -- 0 -- -- 3

2011 New York Jets 16 16 49 35 14 3 1 2 -- -- 0 -- -- 1

TOTAL     237 145 92 24.5 1 14 1 6 6 0 0 7

Leonard Williams                          
2018 New York Jets 16 16 42 27 15 5 -- 2 -- -- 0 -- -- 0

2017 New York Jets 16 16 47 22 25 2 -- 1 1 6 6 6 0 0

2016 New York Jets 16 16 68 36 32 7 -- 0 -- -- 0 -- -- 2

2015 New York Jets 16 15 63 29 34 3 -- 0 -- -- 0 -- -- 0

TOTAL     220 114 106 17 0 3 1 6 -- 6 0 2

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You do realize that a lot of teams pass on 3rd & short, right (especially the Patriots)?  And that short passes have been our achilles' heel for years?

No sh*t.

You missed the point of my post I guess

On July 19, 2019 at 12:36 PM, Rsherman28 said:

This is what I am looking forward too 

On July 19, 2019 at 10:42 AM, jetstream23 said:

To me, Leo is exactly the kind of guy you keep and pay.  Excellent player, no off-field issues, wants to be here, still very young and getting better.  We'd be paying for his future, not his past.  The argument that he didn't produce 5 more sacks last year or "he's not Aaron Donald" are kind of ridiculous in my opinion.  Especially when you look at facts like you pointed out, Leo being double-teamed while Henry Anderson is racking up 5 sacks against a single blocker, it's hard to say he's not having a really big impact in the pass rush.

I'm really curious to see how it works out with Quinnen here and how Gregg Williams orchestrates this DLine.  Lots of options...

Anderson - McClendon - Leo

Anderson - QW - Leo

Anderson - McClendon - QW (3-technique) - Leo  (This puts a LOT of weight on the DLine and also, IMO, puts QW in his ideal position as a 3-techinque DT)

Neither Henry Anderson or Leonard Williams , are 4-3 De's ( won't get enough pressure from your De's .    Henry Anderson was traded to the Jets because his previous team was moving to a 4-3 defense.( not a fit) . He's a 3-4 De.

Q Williams to get the best production from him he should be 3- technique  in the 4-3 defense.  ( Jets play him at NT would be the biggest mistake they could make) .  Mclendon IIs a NT.

I still think Jets are going to be a 3-4 defense. Run downs LDE Q Williams NT McClendon and Rde L Williams .      Passing downs Mclendon exits . h Anderson comes in at LDE  Q Williams at NT Rde L Williams

Outside lb's on the run downs will be Brandon Copeland and Jordan Jenkins   . J Polite replaced Copeland on the obvious passing downs.

Cj Mosely, and A Williamson will be the inside lb's.