Jet GM next Theo?

Smizzy

Jet GM next Theo?

Rise has mirrored Epstein's career

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jets are banking on Mike Tannenbaum following in successful footsteps of other young and inexperienced GMs like Bosox's Theo Epstein.

Their career paths are strikingly similar. They were born in New York City, grew up in the Boston area, attended college in New England, earned law degrees, started out in their respective leagues as low-level grunts and became general managers at a remarkably young age.

The Jets can only hope that Mike Tannenbaum, 36, is as successful as Theo Epstein, 32, of the Red Sox.

In Tannenbaum's case, the question is: Does he have enough football acumen to restock the roster of a 4-12 team? Can he make the transition from salary-cap expert to top football executive? Is he more comfortable with a tort than a two-deep?

Owner Woody Johnson has entrusted his organization to novices, Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini, 35, neither of whom has experience in their current positions. But this much appears certain: Johnson's "Brat Pack," who became close friends in 1995 as lowly interns for the Browns, share the same passion and philosophy.

Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome, a member of the Browns' personnel department in '95, believes Johnson has hired "a couple of guys on the way up."

"I think it will work out well," Newsome said yesterday. "I think they'll trust each other. They won't get involved in a lot of stubbornness. Their youthfulness will allow them to work closer together and push each other.

"The way the Jets are going, Mr. Johnson seems to be starting over. Why not start over with young and talented?"

Tannenbaum has enjoyed a meteoric rise, his big break coming in 1997, when he was hired by Bill Parcells to manage the Jets' cap and handle contract negotiations. In those days, whenever he finished a big project, such as signing the draft picks each summer, Tannenbaum was rewarded with a bucket of his favorite chicken wings from a nearby restaurant. It was Parcells' way of saying, "Nice work, kid."

Tannenbaum's job is a lot more complicated now that he has final say on all personnel matters. Though he won't admit it publicly, he's bothered by those who question his football background. Indeed, he has worked tirelessly in the football operation, trying to absorb as much as possible.

"What Mike did was he got himself immersed in pro personnel, spending a lot of time with Parcells," Newsome said. "He moved himself away from a numbers guy and became more of a football guy, although I'm sure everybody is going to be skeptical until he proves himself over the next couple of years."

One veteran NFC scout, expressing skepticism, said, "If he and Mangini don't have a precise plan, and stick with it, they'll be chopped up and served on a platter to the rest of the NFL."

Tannenbaum, promoted Tuesday to replace Terry Bradway, faces daunting challenges. The Jets are $26 million over the projected cap ($92 million), and that doesn't include the $8 million it will cost to put the franchise tag on John Abraham. League insiders expect the Jets to tag Abraham and trade him before the draft. The Jets own the fourth pick, and while Bradway and former coach Herm Edwards were opposed to using the pick on a quarterback, Tannenbaum and Mangini might have a different view. There are major concerns about Chad Pennington, who is recovering from shoulder surgery and will be asked to take a pay cut, and the new regime might want to find a long-term answer.

It's hard to believe that, as Cleveland interns in their mid-20s, Tannenbaum and Mangini would be running their organization one day. But, working under Bill Belichick on a young, talented staff that included current Patriots vice president Scott Pioli, Mangini and Tannenbaum formed a bond and a common philosophy.

"We had a collection of young people, and they were all starving together," said Ravens PR director Kevin Byrne, who held the same title in Cleveland. "They weren't making any money, they worked around the clock, and I think they became close because of that. Whenever there was free food in the office, they were there

."

Thers is a coincidence in Epstein and Tannebaum- legal sports background- lived in Massachusetts. There is a trend to know more about the business aspects as well as the sports angle for general managers it seems

Just remember Mangini was on the Jets staff before he ever worked for the Pats- so that argument is out the window -

Well, you'll have to remind the Pat fans when and if we do win it...they'll be coming out of the window. This is why so many have already jumped on the bandwagon...just watch and remember what I said. They will try and rain on our parade.

Well, you'll have to remind the Pat fans when and if we do win it...they'll be coming out of the window. This is why so many have already jumped on the bandwagon...just watch and remember what I said. They will try and rain on our parade.

dude...if we win the big one....who cares what the patsies think?

uh, nuthin to do with boston,,its all about the tree, and in this case the parcells tree

It would be the Belichick tree - not Parcells. Belichick and Mangini are both Weslyan graduates and BB first hired Mangini in Cleveland. What I find VERY cool is that three of the four AFC East teams come from the Belichick coaching tree: BB himself, Saban and now Mangini. Too bad Buffalo did not hire Ferentz - the circle would have been complete.

It would be the Belichick tree - not Parcells. Belichick and Mangini are both Weslyan graduates and BB first hired Mangini in Cleveland. What I find VERY cool is that three of the four AFC East teams come from the Belichick coaching tree: BB himself, Saban and now Mangini. Too bad Buffalo did not hire Ferentz - the circle would have been complete.

uhhhh braniac, what tree did belly come from,,

good lord, get your head out of your ass

Wow - the Tuna worship is alive and well I see. Too much sun???

Wondering - who first hired Parcells?

usually a trees trunk is defined by the 1st guy to make a huge name in coaching ranks,,

so if parcells mentor was a nobody, it doesnt count,,,

I knew someone was going to post that...

its that right there that will make the pats fans say that, b/c they know it will bother you, so theyll keep on and on and on....when in reality, atleast for me, i know it wont be thanks to the pats....but if you want to let them get the best of you, go on ahead lol

....Pats fans are hear to rabble rouse, nothing else. Like many of you all, we just post for postings sake. I would hate to think that we all believe everything we post. We are an immature lot at times.

Anyway, within three years Mangini will have the Jets contending for the Championship. As I have stated before, "he's wicked smaht."

....Pats fans are hear to rabble rouse, nothing else. Like many of you all, we just post for postings sake. I would hate to think that we all believe everything we post. We are an immature lot at times.

Anyway, within three years Mangini will have the Jets contending for the Championship. As I have stated before, "he's wicked smaht."

haha, very good,,,now thats humor

Archived