My 5 Takeaways from the Steelers Game

bla bla bla

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

- Tale of 2 QBs - Big difference in play from Rudolph to Hodges 

- Special Teams looked sharp.

Ficken 3/3 FG 1/1 XP Long of 54 Yards.

Berrios had a nice 20 yard punt return.

Edwards 6 punts, 2 inside the 20 yard line -  Average of 46 yards per. Also drew the Steelers off-sides to get a 1st down.

- Pedestrian Day for Sam Darnold. 16/26 183 Yards 1 TD 1 Fum

- Nice game for Bell. We fed him early and often. He's quietly accumulated over 1,100 yards this year.

- Robby Anderson should get paid. Not a crazy day from Robby but a nice TD in double coverage. IMO he is the best WR hitting FA this year (Cooper won't hit FA)

Cheers!

Dallas can’t pay everyone.

Things I noticed today:

It's really been all season, but the Jets do very poorly at capitalizing on turnovers. This really must change. The Jets defense doesn't generate many turnovers to begin with, so taking advantage of the few they get becomes that much more important.

Sammy still hasn't kicker the habit of at least one bone headed play per game. There were a few passes that should have been picked. I love the idea that he's taking more chances (imo that's what separates good QB's from great ones) but those passes weren't calculated risk type passes. Those were passes that were thrown up for grabs. He's got to work on better accuracy and making better choices like trying to complete a pass between two defenders as opposed to throwing into triple coverage and receiver is completely covered up.

I don't blame Shell or the OL for Watt's strip sack. Watt is one of the very defenders today. He's done that all season to much better OL. The Jets OL is still terrible and should be completely overhauled but I don't blame them for faltering before a DPOY candidate.

JD's hands have been tied. He never got the chance to go through FA or the draft but I love the additions he's making? Brown, Griffin, J Smith, D Thomas, etc. Those have all stood to make for better depth contests during TC next year. He's done a much better job of building up the 2nd and 3rd strings than Mac ever did. All of those players have a chance at starting positions or depth IMO. They're not just scrubs picked up off the street. Ryan Kalil notwithstanding.

Gase does a poor job of utilizing Bell. Bell is supremely talented and Gase for the most part doesn't even notice Bell. That's got to change otherwise what the hells the point in having Bell?

Now, that the Jets have won six games there's no chance Gase isn't back next season. Who would've thought this Jets team was capable of winning six games? I only thought that possible if they managed to stay healthy. Healthy is something the Jets have not been all season.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

don't blame Shell or the OL for Watt's strip sack. Watt is one of the very defenders today. He's done that all season to much better OL. The Jets OL is still terrible and should be completely overhauled but I don't blame them for faltering before a DPOY candidate.

You might be right that a better O-lineman would have still given up a strip sack against Watt in that scenario but Shell has been doing this all season. He is not athletic enough to protect against edge rushers, especially when they try to use their speed around him. He's strong but not very quick. Guys get around him all the time and sack Sam from behind. He's lucky not to have gotten injured that way. Beachem, for example, held his own on the left side in this game, and he's far from one of the better O-linemen in the league. You're right, the O-line needs to be overhauled and Shell should not be resigned.

I know a lot of people want the Jets to draft a WR in the first round but even if its the 3rd or 4th OT they should nab him b/c there will be plenty of great blue chip OT prospects and one will be available, even if the Jets pick at 11. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Things I noticed today:

It's really been all season, but the Jets do very poorly at capitalizing on turnovers. This really must change. The Jets defense doesn't generate many turnovers to begin with, so taking advantage of the few they get becomes that much more important.

Sammy still hasn't kicker the habit of at least one bone headed play per game. There were a few passes that should have been picked. I love the idea that he's taking more chances (imo that's what separates good QB's from great ones) but those passes weren't calculated risk type passes. Those were passes that were thrown up for grabs. He's got to work on better accuracy and making better choices like trying to complete a pass between two defenders as opposed to throwing into triple coverage and receiver is completely covered up.

I don't blame Shell or the OL for Watt's strip sack. Watt is one of the very defenders today. He's done that all season to much better OL. The Jets OL is still terrible and should be completely overhauled but I don't blame them for faltering before a DPOY candidate.

JD's hands have been tied. He never got the chance to go through FA or the draft but I love the additions he's making? Brown, Griffin, J Smith, D Thomas, etc. Those have all stood to make for better depth contests during TC next year. He's done a much better job of building up the 2nd and 3rd strings than Mac ever did. All of those players have a chance at starting positions or depth IMO. They're not just scrubs picked up off the street. Ryan Kalil notwithstanding.

Gase does a poor job of utilizing Bell. Bell is supremely talented and Gase for the most part doesn't even notice Bell. That's got to change otherwise what the hells the point in having Bell?

Now, that the Jets have won six games there's no chance Gase isn't back next season. Who would've thought this Jets team was capable of winning six games? I only thought that possible if they managed to stay healthy. Healthy is something the Jets have not been all season.

I completely agree on all points! I can't wait to see what Douglas does with this roster!

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

You might be right that a better O-lineman would have still given up a strip sack against Watt in that scenario but Shell has been doing this all season. He is not athletic enough to protect against edge rushers, especially when they try to use their speed around him. He's strong but not very quick. Guys get around him all the time and sack Sam from behind. He's lucky not to have gotten injured that way. Beachem, for example, held his own on the left side in this game, and he's far from one of the better O-linemen in the league. You're right, the O-line needs to be overhauled and Shell should not be resigned.

I know a lot of people want the Jets to draft a WR in the first round but even if its the 3rd or 4th OT they should nab him b/c there will be plenty of great blue chip OT prospects and one will be available, even if the Jets pick at 11. 

A lot will depend on Douglas. I'd love to fall back a few slots and add a pick or two.

One thing I'll say.  The team sure is managed better overall under Gase.  Bowles would coach really well for 2 quarters, then fail to make adjustments and mismanage the clock as time ran out.  All while Rogers' defense underachieved in almost every way possible.  

While Gases offense sputters a good amount of the time.  He has some basic coaching tendencies that Bowles didn't.  And Williams defense puts us in a position to win.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

A lot will depend on Douglas. I'd love to fall back a few slots and add a pick or two.

Won't be much interest in a trade back.  They aren't in "elite" pick area anymore.  Jets aren't picking 4th this year.  As you said right now they are at 11.  After they beat the Bills, they'll be 17th-18th.  There will already be a few OL off the board.  Jets need to get the best OL they can in the 1st.

If they were picking 3-4, I'd want to trade out.  They won't be.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

One thing I'll say.  The team sure is managed better overall under Gase.  Bowles would coach really well for 2 quarters, then fail to make adjustments and mismanage the clock as time ran out.  All while Rhodes' defense underachieved in almost every way possible.  

While Gases offense sputters a good amount of the time.  He has some basic coaching tendencies that Bowles didn't.  And Williams defense puts us in a position to win.

This is a good post and I agree.

I think what's happened with the fanbase is, after the 1-7 start,  a lot of fans just fell into a funk of despair.    The Fish game was a personal killer for me.  lol

Since then, with a bad, and injured roster, they have played with a lot of heart.  If there was any quit in this team, today was the day to tank. Last home game. Partisan Steelers crowd.  BIG game for the Steelers.  Would have been real easy for this team to come out and say "lets get our coach fired and tank this game".  Didn't happen

I really don't have a dog in the hate Gase dog fight. , but the guys making it tough for me to hate him.     

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Won't be much interest in a trade back.  They aren't in "elite" pick area anymore.  Jets aren't picking 4th this year.  As you said right now they are at 11.  After they beat the Bills, they'll be 17th-18th.  There will already be a few OL off the board.  Jets need to get the best OL they can in the 1st.

As of now we are sitting at 10, I think there is a chance we win next week especially since the Bills have nothing to play for. It will depend how other teams finish since our SoS is closer than it once was. 

We are locked in to the 6th through 14th pick somewhere in there.

52 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Amari Cooper was on the sidelines a lot today not injured. 

Teams don't generally trade away a 1st round pick to let a guy walk when they have the money. If Cooper hits FA I would hope the Jets go after him. Unfortunately I'm sure Cooper would pick a winning organization over us.

7 hours ago, flgreen said:

ravens got lamar at 32 via tradeback. if a team sees what the think is a steal at a certain draft slot...

defo not saying there will be a lamar where we pick...   but.

and,,   the dickpunch sack. we went to extend the lead. i thought it was ballsy but knew the risk. we only let 2 sacks ,he wasnt getting killed. watt is allpro.  not probowl. all pro.

8 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

One thing I'll say.  The team sure is managed better overall under Gase.  Bowles would coach really well for 2 quarters, then fail to make adjustments and mismanage the clock as time ran out.  All while Rogers' defense underachieved in almost every way possible.  

Seeing us force the Steelers into that 12 men panalty by getting to the line quickly and snapping the ball was something you would never see from Bowles...that’s what the Pats have been so good at for years....it was encouraging to see 

still too conservative on certain drives especially after the TO’’s but there are positives