Robby Anderson Isn’t the Only Player Jets Should be Looking to Retain

JetNation

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

oh... well i love you all. 

Are you drunk?  lol.

Its not like Dom and I are diametrically opposed forces here when it comes to this particular discussion.  We just disagree a bit on how much Robby is worth.  I'm not saying he's trash, nor is he saying he's a top 20 receiver.  He thinks he's worth $13-14M a year.  I'm saying we shouldn't go above $11M.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol what?  What else am I supposed to post?  Other people's thoughts?  

And its not like I didn't bring evidence into the mix.  We can do better than the # 52 receiver in football with the resources we have available and the draft class that's coming.

If your concern is we'll waste those dollars or draft the wrong WR, well we likely have a bad GM and are f**ked regardless.  I choose to assume we can do better than we've done in the past, or even what the Eagles have done in the draft the last few years.

That wasn't a dig.  I was happy to hear your thoughts.  Why is everybody so touchy?  

I am concerned that we will **** up the draft, and I agree that is not a reason to avoid draft picks.  I mentioned it because people act like the fact that there will be a solid WR selected in the 4th round means that we can use a 4th to replace Anderson.  The Steelers draft WR as well as anybody and they still ended up with Sammie Coates.  It's not a big deal when you have Antonio Brown and keep refilling the well, but when you  have Vyncint Smith and Jamison Crowder?  It is a little more crucial you get it right. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That wasn't a dig.  I was happy to hear your thoughts.  Why is everybody so touchy?  

I am concerned that we will **** up the draft, and I agree that is not a reason to avoid draft picks.  I mentioned it because people act like the fact that there will be a solid WR selected in the 4th round means that we can use a 4th to replace Anderson.  The Steelers draft WR as well as anybody and they still ended up with Sammie Coates.  It's not a big deal when you have Antonio Brown and keep refilling the well, but when you  have Vyncint Smith and Jamison Crowder?  It is a little more crucial you get it right. 

My comment was mostly tongue in cheek, lol.  

I'm not in favor of trying to replace Robby with just a 4th.  My preference is to trade Jamal, then have the flexibility to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd AND another one in the 3rd or 4th.

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

??

Look, is he more valuable to the game of football? no... slot WRs are the most replaceable talent next to RBs... but on this team, and whatever spectacle of ineptitude Gase is passing as a "scheme" at the moment -- Crowder is more valuable to Darnold and first downs. 

That i'm sure of, Foe. 

Eh.  I argue that Berrios can more closely replace Crowder than say Vyncint Smith can replace Anderson.  I agree they can probably cobble together something better between FA and the draft, but they need to have a reasonable floor in place pre-draft.  If Anderson bites on something lowish I am happy to keep him on board.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What's all this about?? @Dcat @Jetsfan80 and you Dominator --- y'all are usually on the same page... 

Trust me when i say Robbie isn't worth this much real estate. He really isn't..... We've been without anything resembling a downfield threat since Santana Moss woke up a Redskin -- and so i get the love -- but seriously. 

You could bandaide Dorsett and Demarcus Robinson next to Crowder and Higgins/Lamb and this offense would not miss a beat/be in a better place. Robbie's going hunting for money elsewhere. 

he's gone. 

**** those guys!  I am, by nature a contrarian. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are you drunk?  lol.

Its not like Dom and I are diametrically opposed forces here when it comes to this particular discussion.  We just disagree a bit on how much Robby is worth.  I'm not saying he's trash, nor is he saying he's a top 20 receiver.  He thinks he's worth $13-14M a year.  I'm saying we shouldn't go above $11M.  

You don't think @Paradis loves me sober?  Evidently you have not seen my ass in these jeans!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Robby has never been suspended because the arrest in Miami was shown to be wrong-doing by a captain with a history of this sort of nonsense, as he had a history of making bogus arrest at festivals. Not only that, but the captain said that Robby shoved him, yet other officers testified that they didnt see Robby do anything. Also, the Captain that claimed to have been shoved missed two different depositions. 

This type of activity in Florida (bogus arrests at festivals) doesnt surprise me, as Florida has the most private prisons of any other state the last time I checked, with 7 total. Huffington post some years back released an article talking about the type contracts these prisons have with the states, and within these contracts the jails have to maintain a certain percentage of capacity. Some 90% others 97%, and if not then the state has to pay it, which then comes from folks tax money. This is why bogus arrests and quotas are now a thing. What probably happened is that he ended up pulling that stunt on an NFL player. I believe that this is why the captain never showed up to his depositions, why the other cops denied seeing Robby touch the captain and thats why those charges were dropped and Robby wasnt suspended. 

The second one was a traffic violation. And given what I've heard folks literally say on this forum about what they think about guys who look like Robby while driving a vehicle, I can see how things could have gotten out of hand. 

My point is, Robby has not shown to be some sort of troubled individual, and the incidents you're referring to are 2 and 3 years old, and at worse the only problem was a traffic violation. JD holding on to what wasnt even his fault is no different than bogus arrests and quotas...because it's bogus. 

Notwithstanding any of the above, Robby comes with additional risk. He is one step closer than many others to discipline  you dont agree?  Fine. I see that as a fact and an added risk that reduces his value. And I'll bet that 32 NFL GMs would agree. Bogus or not. We have already read reports, and from insiders no less,  that Robby isn't a "Douglas" type of guy. That means they sense a character risk. As any responsible GM and front office people should do.

41 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  I argue that Berrios can more closely replace Crowder than say Vyncint Smith can replace Anderson.  I agree they can probably cobble together something better between FA and the draft, but they need to have a reasonable floor in place pre-draft.  If Anderson bites on something lowish I am happy to keep him on board.

**** those guys!  I am, by nature a contrarian. 

You don't think @Paradis loves me sober?  Evidently you have not seen my ass in these jeans!

Lol am i drunk @Jetsfan80 ?  noooooooo ;) 

But seriously, i dispense a lot of "hey god dammit!..." on here, and so sometimes i feel i need to remind people i have lotta love to give too. 

In fact, in person - i think most here would be surprised how calm/jovial my demeanor is. JN is therapy... 

See you motherfckers in Vegas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Notwithstanding any of the above, Robby comes with additional risk. He is one step closer than many others to discipline  you dont agree?  Fine. I see that as a fact and an added risk that reduces his value. And I'll bet that 32 NFL GMs would agree. Bogus or not. We have already read reports, and from insiders no less,  that Robby isn't a "Douglas" type of guy. That means they sense a character risk. As any responsible GM and front office people should do.

It's hard for me to say that he's one step closer to any sort of discipline. What would be the discipline..."how dare you be the victim of a bogus arrest, here's a 4 game suspension"? 

We heard reports by insiders, but what are they inside of? The report following the arrest points to Robby actually being the victim here. Either that's true or it isnt. 

I wouldnt be so quick to bet that all 32 GM's would agree that he's a "risk" when this same league continues to resign Josh Gordon and just look at the spectacle that was Antonio Brown this season. We need some context here. And GM's know that folks named "insiders" are only titles to tickle the ear of fans in order to move the dial and generate clicks. In otherwords, most of what is written is clickbait, meaning that gaining someone's attention is more important than credible and verifiable information. I think 32 GM's would agree with that assessment, as every GM would probably agree that these insiders would rather post a juicy story for the purpose to be the first to release it, rather than simply waiting to make sure that what they're posting is accurate. 

Dont believe me? Remember Adam Gase's "Burner twitter account that ended up being a Jets journalist/insider"??? 

To this day I hear Jets fans talk about how the Browns wanted to hired Condoleezza Rice as the HC of the team. I just heard this about a week or two ago. Adam Schefter posted that out, and folks ran with it, because it's "Adam Schefter". 

What folks either dont know or forgot is that it wasnt true. Both Rice and the Browns denied it. Yet almost 2 years later, it's now "truth" because some insider said it. See how what folks can believe is true because of some "insider" can not be true at all? 

Where I will agree is that Robby "may" not be a "Douglas" type of guy. However, with that said, what is a Douglas guy? We need to define that. Douglas has done nothing substantial with this roster in order to come away with some sort of philosophy or culture that he adhere's to. He's also never been a General manager before so we cant go on prior GM history. 

Saying that the man sense a character risk is not based on anything. Actually, this is something an insider would write up in order to move the dial and gain clicks, but it's based on absolutely nothing verifiable or credible. 

Check this out

What he said was: 

"I can't say enough good things about Robby," Douglas said. "Obviously, so much frustration at the beginning of the year. And I'm sure Robby was as frustrated as any player, being a contract year for him. But the person, the teammate he was -- he perservered.

"He had a fantastic year, especially down the stretch. All year, he was getting open. And I think (head) coach (Adam) Gase alluded to it a few times -- he just couldn't get him the ball. And we were able to get him the ball. We got it to him down the stretch, late, he was making contested catches.

"I had a great conversation with Robby. Won't get into the specifics of it. But he knows -- he knows how valued he is here and we'll discuss him later as well."

Now I wouldnt use this to say that it's an automatic resign, but even JD knows that Robby was getting open all season and how Gase alluded to how they couldnt get him the all early on in the season, which makes sense given that the Oline was failing the QB's, particularly that Center that should have stayed retired. 

Also, keep in mind that Joe Douglas could have EASILY traded Robby Anderson before the trade deadline if Robby wasnt a "Douglas guy". Douglas instead kept Robby. Meanwhile the "insiders" was talking about all of the "Robby Anderson trade rumors" And the end of the day, what was true???

Robby said that Douglas called him "after the trade deadline". But look at how he says it, smiling almost. It's clear that whatever that conversation was between Robby and Joe, Robby felt good about. This adds credibility to JD's end of season remarks regarding Robby. 

It seems like Insiders are as far inside as we are most of the time. 

14 hours ago, New York Mick said:

It depends on what Beachum wants. He’s an average player at best and makes $8 mill a year (16th highest) currently. Someone is going to offer him more then that. What’s the limit 3 years $35? 

No way Beachum gets that on the open market

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My comment was mostly tongue in cheek, lol.  

I'm not in favor of trying to replace Robby with just a 4th.  My preference is to trade Jamal, then have the flexibility to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd AND another one in the 3rd or 4th.

That’s exactly what the jets need to do

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's hard for me to say that he's one step closer to any sort of discipline. What would be the discipline..."how dare you be the victim of a bogus arrest, here's a 4 game suspension"? 

We heard reports by insiders, but what are they inside of? The report following the arrest points to Robby actually being the victim here. Either that's true or it isnt. 

I wouldnt be so quick to bet that all 32 GM's would agree that he's a "risk" when this same league continues to resign Josh Gordon and just look at the spectacle that was Antonio Brown this season. We need some context here. And GM's know that folks named "insiders" are only titles to tickle the ear of fans in order to move the dial and generate clicks. In otherwords, most of what is written is clickbait, meaning that gaining someone's attention is more important than credible and verifiable information. I think 32 GM's would agree with that assessment, as every GM would probably agree that these insiders would rather post a juicy story for the purpose to be the first to release it, rather than simply waiting to make sure that what they're posting is accurate. 

Dont believe me? Remember Adam Gase's "Burner twitter account that ended up being a Jets journalist/insider"??? 

To this day I hear Jets fans talk about how the Browns wanted to hired Condoleezza Rice as the HC of the team. I just heard this about a week or two ago. Adam Schefter posted that out, and folks ran with it, because it's "Adam Schefter". 

What folks either dont know or forgot is that it wasnt true. Both Rice and the Browns denied it. Yet almost 2 years later, it's now "truth" because some insider said it. See how what folks can believe is true because of some "insider" can not be true at all? 

Where I will agree is that Robby "may" not be a "Douglas" type of guy. However, with that said, what is a Douglas guy? We need to define that. Douglas has done nothing substantial with this roster in order to come away with some sort of philosophy or culture that he adhere's to. He's also never been a General manager before so we cant go on prior GM history. 

Saying that the man sense a character risk is not based on anything. Actually, this is something an insider would write up in order to move the dial and gain clicks, but it's based on absolutely nothing verifiable or credible. 

Check this out

What he said was: 

"I can't say enough good things about Robby," Douglas said. "Obviously, so much frustration at the beginning of the year. And I'm sure Robby was as frustrated as any player, being a contract year for him. But the person, the teammate he was -- he perservered.

"He had a fantastic year, especially down the stretch. All year, he was getting open. And I think (head) coach (Adam) Gase alluded to it a few times -- he just couldn't get him the ball. And we were able to get him the ball. We got it to him down the stretch, late, he was making contested catches.

"I had a great conversation with Robby. Won't get into the specifics of it. But he knows -- he knows how valued he is here and we'll discuss him later as well."

Now I wouldnt use this to say that it's an automatic resign, but even JD knows that Robby was getting open all season and how Gase alluded to how they couldnt get him the all early on in the season, which makes sense given that the Oline was failing the QB's, particularly that Center that should have stayed retired. 

Also, keep in mind that Joe Douglas could have EASILY traded Robby Anderson before the trade deadline if Robby wasnt a "Douglas guy". Douglas instead kept Robby. Meanwhile the "insiders" was talking about all of the "Robby Anderson trade rumors" And the end of the day, what was true???

Robby said that Douglas called him "after the trade deadline". But look at how he says it, smiling almost. It's clear that whatever that conversation was between Robby and Joe, Robby felt good about. This adds credibility to JD's end of season remarks regarding Robby. 

It seems like Insiders are as far inside as we are most of the time. 

We'll see.  Can't trust anything Douglas says publicly.  We've heard from more than one source that they don't particularly care for him.  I wouldn't be putting any chips on his hanging around.  And GMs would definitley view him as an additional risk type of guy.  If not, then the guy shouldn't be a GM.  It would be irresponsible and unprofessional to ignore your duty as an executive to assign and value risk.  And not a single GM... not one... would say Robby has less risk than your average player.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

We'll see.  Can't trust anything Douglas says publicly.  We've heard from more than one source that they don't particularly care for him.  I wouldn't be putting any chips on his hanging around.  And GMs would definitley view him as an additional risk type of guy.  If not, then the guy shouldn't be a GM.  It would be irresponsible and unprofessional to ignore your duty as an executive to assign and value risk.  And not a single GM... not one... would say Robby has less risk than your average player.  

I agree. We "generally" cant trust anything JD says publicly because GM's usually play things close. However, in this situation what is there to play close? Robby is already his player AND he had opportunity to trade Robby and didnt. What is JD holding close when the result would simply be that Robby would become a Free agent? You don't take his words on blind faith, but you instead listen and then watch his actions. 

Well, what has been JD's actions so far? His actions have clearly been contrary to these "sources". How?

#1. Sources had Robby being traded or shopped, saying that JD really didnt care for him. The reality? JD kept Robby  then spoke to him privately after the trade deadline to confirm his feelings for Robby. 

Think about it this way. It would reflect badly on JD in terms of management to not like Robby, not particularly care for him, and NOT trade him when the opportunity was there, knowing that you're going to let him walk at the end of the season because he's not a JD guy. 

Now im not saying that Robby is a lock, what in saying is that your reasoning doesn't add up when we see the actions. 

You say that GM's would definitely view him as an additional risk guy, the problem is that you cant point to any serious offense or a repeatable offense. The only thing you can point to are sources who you've not disagreed with me that they would definitely release a story if it's controversial to gain clicks, rather than making sure that what they release is accurate as possible. Furthermore, dont get "risk" mixed up with "liability". All players have a level of risk, as well as reward. That's not the same as being a liability. Robby Anderson has never shown to be a liability to the Jets. He's never been in trouble that has confirmed any wrong doing, never been suspended, never been disciplined by the team specifically (like Wilkerson or Richardson for example)....none of the above. So yes, no GM would say that Robby is less of a risk than your average player, but that doesnt mean that they would say that he's more of a risk than your average player. C'mon Dcat, you know better than this, you're using word magic.

You're dealing in a narrative with no foundation. If im wrong, then it's easy to explain this "additional risk" or liability. Just like it's unprofessional to ignore the signs of issues or potential issues, it's also unprofessional for GM to base decisions on insiders who have shown time and time and time again to be more about clickbait than accuracy and credibility. 

Robby is going to get paid, either by the Jets or some other team. And rightfully so, he's a good player and has not been in trouble, up to this point in his career. 

On 1/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, SAR I said:

This. 

You keep Beachum one more season as it’s going to take multiple years to completely fix the OL and he did a good job this season.  Appears to be a great locker room guy as well.  

SAR I

Worst case give him a short 2-3 year deal, address what you can in that time, and once LT is one of them you swing him to the right side (where he'd probably excel.)

• Upvote 1