Thoughts on tight ends this year?

bealeb319

Wondering what people are thinking about tight ends in this year's draft, I know wr has been well covered and the impression I have is that they have a pretty good group but I know darnold has seen some success with tight ends as a safety blanket. What would the thoughts be on drafting one maybe in the third? Who would be available and what kind of strengths and weaknesses do they have compared to their wr counterparts who may be available in the same range.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

As much as everyone wants the Kittle, Kelce, Ertz type of player, a player that can single-handedly change games through receiving and blocking, I think the Jets are pretty set at tight end as a group.  The Jets have a 'tight end by committee' but not necessarily just one guy that can do it all.  Herndon may be the closest thing but last year was a lost year for him.  Griffin showed some promise but he has limitations and doesn't fall into that elite category.  They also just draft Wesco last year and will have to see how he pans out.  

With that said, I could see the Jets taking a guy like Kmet if he were to fall into the 3rd.  Or take a flyer on a guy like Albert Okwuegbunam just because of his speed.  Last, they could take the wide receiver Chase Claypool and convert him to a hybrid tight end.  Claypool has been working his way up mock drafts into the first round.

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2020 at 1:33 PM, nyjbuddy said:

As much as everyone wants the Kittle, Kelce, Ertz type of player, a player that can single-handedly change games through receiving and blocking, I think the Jets are pretty set at tight end as a group.  The Jets have a 'tight end by committee' but not necessarily just one guy that can do it all.  Herndon may be the closest thing but last year was a lost year for him.  Griffin showed some promise but he has limitations and doesn't fall into that elite category.  They also just draft Wesco last year and will have to see how he pans out.  

With that said, I could see the Jets taking a guy like Kmet if he were to fall into the 3rd.  Or take a flyer on a guy like Albert Okwuegbunam just because of his speed.  Last, they could take the wide receiver Chase Claypool and convert him to a hybrid tight end.  Claypool has been working his way up mock drafts into the first round.

I think Kmet will be one of the first TEs off the board and, to me, it makes no sense for the Jets to use their early 3rd on a TE. This is, in general, a weak TE draft. I'm not that impressed by any of them. I like Hunter Bryant and Adam Trautman as receiving TEs but they are not very good blockers. I think Claypool is just a big bodied WR. I honestly don't see him converting to a TE. He's got great speed, if you can improve his route running you could develop him into a #1 WR or at the very least a deep threat and big Red zone target.     

On 3/25/2020 at 10:09 AM, bealeb319 said:

Wondering what people are thinking about tight ends in this year's draft, I know wr has been well covered and the impression I have is that they have a pretty good group but I know darnold has seen some success with tight ends as a safety blanket. What would the thoughts be on drafting one maybe in the third? Who would be available and what kind of strengths and weaknesses do they have compared to their wr counterparts who may be available in the same range.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I just don't see the Jets taking a TE until the 6th round where they have 2 picks and will most likely be taking flyers on guys they think have great value regardless of position. They brought back Griffin, re-signed Brown, Herndon should be coming back healthy next year, and despite them having no ties to Wesco- he is a good run blocker and will probably get another shot to prove himself. Not to mention all the other needs the Jets have.