Championship Teams Retain Special Players

On 5/27/2020 at 8:32 AM, EM31 said:

Look no further than the Patriots for an example of how championship teams are built and maintained.  The list of players who got too expansive to keep is extremely long.  Many of these were at the top of the league in terms of their position when the Patriots decided to cut ties because their salary demands would have wrecked the Patriots long term cap position.

• Ty Law
  • Mike Vrabel
  • Deion Branch
  • Brandin Cooks
  • Logan Mankins
  • Wes Welker
  • Malcom Butler
  • Jamie Collins
  • Chandler Jones
  • Richard Seymour
  • jimmy Garopolo
  • Adam Vinitari
  • Randy Moss
  • Drew Bledsoe
  • Lawyer Milloy

Now let's talk about Revis.  New England got him for cheap and he got himself a ring.  They would never have been serious bidders for Revis unless he came down below his price to other teams.

So to the OP.... It is a mark of truly successful teams that they make the tough calls early and manage their cap position with a long term view in mind.  THEY DO NOT SIMPLY CAVE IN TO THE DEMANDS of star players who want to break the bank.  Go break someone else's bank, we have a winner to build here.

Please list the age of each player - it will tell a much different story.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Gronk was drafted in 2010 and signed a 4 year contract on July 25, 2010On June 8, 2012, Gronkowski signed a six-year, $54 million contract extension, the largest ever for an NFL tight end.

First of all I do not remember Gronk complaining in the media about being underpaid or disrespected.So as far was we know the six year extension was as much the idea of the NE Patriots front office as it was Gronk.  Once they realized what they had I assume Bellichick ran to make a new deal with his agent.

Secondly wow man just wow.  Gronk was the single greatest tight end I ever saw (Yes that includes Gates and that includes Gonzales albeit that they both played much longer).  He was the greatest offensive game changer of any non-QB player in the last twenty years.

Adams is not even remotely in the same universe as a Gronk and you should be embarrassed for making such a comparison.  

Finally i would sign a four year "contract extension" today at $17 million per year for the additional four years so long as it is understood that the next two years are counted at the original contract price.  Guess what? That probably comes out at around $13 Million per year over the six years but he gets the security of a new signing bonus.

25 minutes ago, EM31 said:

First of all I do not remember Gronk complaining in the media about being underpaid or disrespected.So as far was we know the six year extension was as much the idea of the NE Patriots front office as it was Gronk.  Once they realized what they had I assume Bellichick ran to make a new deal with his agent.

Secondly wow man just wow.  Gronk was the single greatest tight end I ever saw (Yes that includes Gates and that includes Gonzales albeit that they both played much longer).  He was the greatest offensive game changer of any non-QB player in the last twenty years.

Adams is not even remotely in the same universe as a Gronk and you should be embarrassed for making such a comparison.  

Finally i would sign a four year "contract extension" today at $17 million per year for the additional four years so long as it is understood that the next two years are counted at the original contract price.  Guess what? That probably comes out at around $13 Million per year over the six years but he gets the security of a new signing bonus.

I'm giving you an example of the Patriots giving a player in his prime a new contract two years early. You said it didn't happen. You gave a long list of top players NE let walk but the overwhelming majority were 29+ looking for a third, fourth contract. Huge difference from signing prime players.

Adams compares to Gronk in that he's an all-pro looking for his second contract. These are the contracts you want to give. You want the 20's years of all-pro level players.

I wouldn't give it to him this year though. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Gronk was drafted in 2010 and signed a 4 year contract on July 25, 2010On June 8, 2012, Gronkowski signed a six-year, $54 million contract extension, the largest ever for an NFL tight end.

future HOF offensive beast, and a blitzing run defender who doesnt create turnovers...     great compare

No Way Thumbs Down GIF by Tinashe

On 5/26/2020 at 5:39 PM, JetsLife said:

Why is it not long after we traded Keyshawn and Revis they were soon part of championship teams? (Makes no difference Revis was in NE - another championship team, cheaters yes, scooped him up). Because championship teams recognize special players who teams must account for.

Adams is a difference maker. He influences the offense when he’s at the LOS. 

Make him the highest-paid safety in NFL history and don’t look back. It’s a bad precedent to tear up his deal after year 3; but every player and every deal is different. Adams is the AAPL of safeties - you don’t let go of such an asset, you pay the premium and watch your investment grow. And then for a little while it becomes a bargain.

Also: sure safety isn’t the most valuable position on D, but it has become a premium position in the flag-football modern NFL. ‘19 Honey Badger with his big contract in KC and they win it all; Earl Thomas in Baltimore they get the No. 1 seed. Thomas & Chancellor LOB Seattle. Denver’s ‘15 safeties. Safety position has always been strong at the Cheating Pats. And so on. 

They also use them when they have them ?