man i cant wait until april 2nd comes along

anyways

on a food chain of great pitchers, how do you guys rank:

Greg Maddox

Roger Clemens

Pedro Martinez

Randy Johnson

Curt Schilling

these are the 5 best starting pitchers of my lifetime but I'm having trouble deciding who was best

man i cant wait until april 2nd comes along

anyways

on a food chain of great pitchers, how do you guys rank:

Greg Maddox

Roger Clemens

Pedro Martinez

Randy Johnson

Curt Schilling

these are the 5 best starting pitchers of my lifetime but I'm having trouble deciding who was best

Randy, absolutely. Randy had the misfortune of playing for a lot of bad teams before winning a ring with Arizona, or he would have had just as many Cy Young Awards as Clemens. Johnson was simply the most dominant pitcher of the era, untouchable if he wanted to be and usually "good enough" on his "off-days".

5. Curt Schilling. Curt is bemefitting from a late career revival. He is only 184-123. He has been 74-28 since leaving Philadelphia. Obviously, Philly dragged his won/loss down, but on the plus side he was 8-2 in the post season.

4. Randy Johnson. If his won/loss record was not as good as it is (246-128), I might have put him below Schilling for his post season record 7-8. He is a freak of nature and a K machine.

3. Roger Clemens. Might have had him above Maddux, if not for his dark years (1993-96) when he was 40-39. While the Red Sox were not great and average at best, I think Roger mailed it in during those years. When Duqette got rid of him that lit a fire that carried Roger past 300 wins. If Roger pitched as well as he did once he left Boston, like he did during those years, he could have made a run at 400 wins.

2. Greg Maddux. Mr. Consistent. 17 straight years with 15 or more wins. The fact he did it by not being over powering is even more credit to him. Might be the last 300 game winner.

1. Pedro Martinez. He is the best pitcher of this ERA. Bar none. Two under 2.00 ERAs in his career. One in the NL and one in the AL. Consider this, in league with the DH, plus pitching half his games in Fenway, he led the AL in 2000 with a 1.74 ERA. Roger finished second a whole 1.96 behind him. Even the injured Pedro was still brilliant. He came back from his injury and went 24-8 his first two years with ERAs at 2.22 and 2.26. He even flashed that brilliance in the playoffs the past two seasons. When healthy, there was no better pitcher in the league. Even the post-injury Pedro can be great.

Archived